• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

CHC

No, it's actually quite easy. Nightmare is more like Normal, really. Are you on pc or console?

I'm on PC. I'm getting used to it (explosive tanks are absolutely amazing) but c'mon, the early parts are definitely not easy. They're surmountable but one mistake and you're shredded.

How's the game performance on a regular PS4 these days? I saw they've addressed the input lag twice and it seems to be fixed, but heard they might have broken the framerate in the process?

I plan on finally picking it up next week when it's on sale at Best Buy for $40 since I've got GCU.

I came here to post the same question, I want to pick this up but would prefer not to have a stuttery mess

Depends on how sensitive you are. The lag is fine now, with only framerate issues. I was about half way through the game when the 1.02 patch came out that messed with framerate. I believe I only had like 2 instances where it tanked really bad, but it was brief so it didn't really matter. This going off a reg ps4, not sure if it's exacerbated on pro.

Bluth54

I'm on PC. I'm getting used to it (explosive tanks are absolutely amazing) but c'mon, the early parts are definitely not easy. They're surmountable but one mistake and you're shredded.
I've just played on normal but yeah the early part of the game is pretty hard. The game gets much, much easier towards the end when you have a bunch of powers unlocked.

So, am I crazy or, is the plot just one big (Well, another big) Avellonian meta-commentary on
the nature of replaying narrative and choice-heavy RPGs and what one knows to expect from previous playthroughs, and what different choices they make on that knowledge
?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I nearly messed that achievement up, I missed one in Crew Quarters but luckily, the double Igwe bug happened which counted as another kill, allowing me to get the achievement! 😁

Yeah I got literally burned in crew quarters, too. Specifically one crew member burned themselves to death before I even entered the area. Psa for anyone else, get to rec center asap when in crew quarters for I and It

Kind of a shitty "failure" tbh

But I still love you, Prey <3

It's checks off of killcount and not whether or not the Crew Roster is all dead?

That's... Kind of a MASSIVE oversight IMO.

Like, what if I want to kill everyone in
Cargo Bay by forcing the doors open without turrets and not helping?

It's checks off of killcount and not whether or not the Crew Roster is all dead?

That's... Kind of a MASSIVE oversight IMO.

Like, what if I want to kill everyone in
Cargo Bay by forcing the doors open without turrets and not helping?

Everyone
dies and I think what is said in the ending changes a bit. Like there was a bunch a casualties or something.

But yeah, it doesn't count if you don't do it.

Timeaisis

OK, so I was really enjoying the game...until
Dahl arrived.
Holy hell this is miserable.

Anyone got any advice for dealing with the
military bots?
I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

OK, so I was really enjoying the game...until
Dahl arrived.
Holy hell this is miserable.

Anyone got any advice for dealing with the
military bots?
I feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

Stun gun, max it's range. Also use hacking (maxed hack required to turn them iirc) after a glue or stun. When they are spawning, obstruct the spawnpoints with items so they can't.

Y'know what, now that I'm thinking about it, the intro reminds me of a certain manga...

Mysterious extra coffee cup that's empty attacking someone as he goes to drink from it.
Sound familiar, anyone?

wege12

I've been playing the prey for a week now on my PS4 pro and it really bothers me that for a majority of the game, there is absolutely no background music. Is this normal?

I think I'm most of the way through the game (just got past Deep Storage) and I really regret playing this on the 'normal' difficulty. Beyond the first few hours it hasn't been even remotely challenging and I am just absolutely loaded with healing items, ammo, and neuromods.

Are the higher difficulties well balanced? I'm always hesitant to start a game on difficulties above normal in case they're full of bullshit.

To ThoseDeafMutes
Unlocked machine mind once I got to Dahl. Huge help. Gives you a breather and often lets you escape and pick them off slowly. Also, hack turrets whenever you can.

JCH!

Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding. I just got to the
reactor room
and lost around 110fps. How the hell did this get past QA?

munroe

reactor room

Sayings like this kinda annoy me as a software tester myself (not games though)

It's not just a case of whether it was observed during QA but also whether the priority was high enough to actually do anything about it.

A good number of times unless the bug is a showstopper/blocker then it may not get fixed for the mvp but possibly planned for future releases, if that.

JCH!

It's not just a case of whether it was observed during QA but also whether the priority was high enough to actually do anything about it.

A good number of times unless the bug is a showstopper/blocker then it may not get fixed for the mvp but possibly planned for future releases, if that.

Of course its not only down to QA but as a consumer I really don't give a damn who is responsible, a +120fps drop is not acceptable.

I am a software developer and that irks me too. Most of the time it's the decision of the product owner to decide what bugs get fixed and what not before release. A lot of times, as long as it runs and doesn't crash then it's good enough for release.

reactor room

Yeah that room amused me. Thought my computer was dying or something the first time I went in there, couldn't believe the drop. I had to reduce all my settings and it still ran poorly,but made it manageable at least. Everything else in the game ran fine.

JCH!

Yeah that room amused me. Thought my computer was dying or something the first time I went in there, couldn't believe the drop. I had to reduce all my settings and it still ran poorly,but made it manageable at least. Everything else in the game ran fine.

12fps with a GTX 1080Ti is just hilarious.

I had the same problem and restarting the game sorted it.

I just pushed through it. I'm outside and everything's back to normal.

I think I'm most of the way through the game (just got past Deep Storage) and I really regret playing this on the 'normal' difficulty. Beyond the first few hours it hasn't been even remotely challenging and I am just absolutely loaded with healing items, ammo, and neuromods.

Are the higher difficulties well balanced? I'm always hesitant to start a game on difficulties above normal in case they're full of bullshit.

Can you not change the difficulty on your current playthrough? You're supposed to be able to change difficulty without penalty, according to one of the loading screens.

Timeaisis

Stun gun, max it's range. Also use hacking (maxed hack required to turn them iirc) after a glue or stun. When they are spawning, obstruct the spawnpoints with items so they can't.
I've been using stun but I only have so much ammo. And the problem is they keep coming and I'm running out of materials.

I haven't tried the last trick, though. Sounds clever. Thanks.

I've been using stun but I only have so much ammo. And the problem is they keep coming and I'm running out of materials.

Realised I directed my spoiler tagged comment to the wrong guy above. Basically: machine mind and mindjack are your friend. They will give you a buffer to get to safety if overwhelmed, and you don't have to rely on ammo. Also, try hacking any and all turrets.

I did kinda rush through some of those parts because if the difficulty spike. Mindjack/Machine Mind + sprint is an easy way through most areas if you're not in an exploration type mood.

munroe

Of course its not only down to QA but as a consumer I really don't give a damn who is responsible, a +120fps drop is not acceptable.

Then don't mix up whether or not something was missed by QA and what you personally don't find acceptable, completely different.

I recycle literally everything I can which means fabricator resources are plentiful so I never have that issue. If you have decent hacking, I think level 3+ you could save some ammo by stunning once then hack them.

Another possibility is if you have level 3 mimic, is copy a military operator, the beam takes them out super quick, but be warned it's tricky to aim

Picked up Dishonored 2 and Prey for $16 at Gamestop (PRO Day today). Finally something to play in this summer drought. Only played Dishonored 1 about 75% of the way and never got around to beating it, but looking forward to Arkane's double scoop of awesomeness here.

CHC

Holy fuck, entering space for the first time.

Man Arkane is just completely on their own level in terms of level design. I did NOT expect to be able to
circle and explore the entirety of the station's exterior
, my god. Genuinely feels like they are, no exaggeration, the only studio in the world really carrying the torch of the original Deus Ex's approach to design.

Oh my GOD and then I fly out to the billboard thing orbiting the station and manage to
upload some message a guy had prepared: ESCAPE PODS ARE FAKE
. Legit chills - I have no fucking idea what is going on here. This game is amazing.

Sotha_Sil

At long last I finally was able to download Prey this afternoon. Playing on PC.

My initial thought is that performance is fantastic, so good that I can forgive it not being as graphically adept as other modern titles. When I started it up the first time I put all the graphical settings on "high" and I've easily been hitting 90fps (where I locked it with RTSS), just a few drops to the mid-80's. No need to tinker any further. I'm using a 480 4gb and a 6600k at stock for reference. I put it on my SSD, and was a little surprised the loading times were as long as they were - but that's a trivial compliant.

Prey controls really well on PC. I can't relate to the issues console-goers have had so far, but I've had zero problem tracking mimics. Quite a few have led me on merry chases all around the main lobby and staircases. I'm on the hard setting and died a few times already (a good thing). Sound issues from the demo are thankfully fixed.

Voice acting seems great so far, and I'm already pulled into the overall plot. The emails and logs around the station are all well-written and give the impression of a fully-manned space station. I like that all the people are named.... a nice touch that oddly enough reminds me of Morrowind. Some rooms seem a little empty, but most of the design is on-point.

Initial level design impressions are very strong. There's a couple roadblocks already that I'll need to come back to when I get some more neuromods, and I've used the gloo gun to get around a few encounters. It's an Arkane game through and through. I know people were doubting this because it's mostly a different team from Dishonored, but Colantonio was co-director of D1 with Harvey Smith, and it's clear he brought a lot of those same principles to the Prey team. It's a great mesh of gameplay mechanics and level design.

Two hours in, it's everything I wanted it to be. I might hold off on playing to see if they announce the hardcore/survival mode at the BE3 conference tomorrow. If available right away, I'd probably switch over to that.

About 20 hours in and I have to say that seeing this game bombing is the biggest disgrace I have ever witnessed since I started gaming. I mean, it's 35 € at Amazon already?

I am absolutely in love with this game. The quality of world building and design is astonishing. And the amount of times I had had situations in this game that were like "Nah, I can't certainly melt that ice block by shooting the pipe next to it.... Oh, I actually can. WTF?" or "Nah, no way I can disable this vent with an EMP granade.... On, I actually can."

It's just amazing. The game keeps surprising me around the clock. The quests are sooooo good. Controls took me a bit to get used to but at this point I can easily fight off every single mimic.

No matter how I turn and twist this, I do not understand how this game could sell this bad. It can't be just the lukewarm advertising. This is pure quality.

Really hope Arcane still get the praise from Bethesda just because of how good this game is.

If this keeps on going like this until the end this will end up being my favorite game ever.

bati

Genuinely feels like they are, no exaggeration, the only studio in the world really carrying the torch of the original Deus Ex's approach to design.

Because they are :(. Square/Eidos are putting in a decent effort but they lack Arkane/LGS magic touch.

CHC

Because they are :(. Square/Eidos are putting in a decent effort but they lack Arkane/LGS magic touch.

Yep, exactly. Like, Deus Ex HR / MD was a decent effort but it just wasn't open and systems-driven enough. It's clear that they thought about things in terms of gameplay and specific, discrete paths rather than in the more natural and emergent way that Arkane does.

There are so many moments where I feel like I am legit the only person to have done something a specific way in Prey or Dishonored just because they let you take such weird approaches to solve problems. It's not like I am "finding a secret" that developer planned on me finding.

There are so many moments where I feel like I am legit the only person to have done something a specific way in Prey or Dishonored just because they let you take such weird approaches to solve problems. It's not like I am "finding a secret" that developer planned on me finding.

Love this kind of stuff. I remember reading interviews with Warren Spector talking about how this kind of thing was one of their main goals with this type of game. It's the whole "problems, not puzzles" design philosophy.

Yep, exactly. Like, Deus Ex HR / MD was a decent effort but it just wasn't open and systems-driven enough. It's clear that they thought about things in terms of gameplay and specific, discrete paths rather than in the more natural and emergent way that Arkane does.

True, true, true.

And speaking of it, getting out of Data Storage without having the lifting mods enabled is a stroke of genius. At first I thought it was a bug but then I realized the devs wanted me to actually use my brain and figure something out.

Didn't think someone would ever make a AAA game like this. I still can't believe it.

So it seems like Prey was completely glossed over at the Bethesda conference last night. It's even featured in the teaser image they released last month but it was a no show:
F0eYWDJ.jpg
(far left)

Wtf was Bethesda's plan with the release of this game? I don't understand.

Timeaisis

I finished it. Liked it a lot. Did not care for the ending.

RE: open-ended design. I thought the game didn't foster experimentation enough. I found myself doing the same thing over and over because it worked. I know there are a lot of alternate solutions out there, but I almost never had to take them.

I thought the level design was great, and you could tell they were going for that, though. The combat especially was one-note once you find the optimal play (usually gloo or psychoshock and shotgun).

Feels very much like the original Dishonored to me in that way. All the ingredients are there it just doesn't quite get all mixed together properly.

That being said, I still liked it a lot. And I want a sequel.

So it seems like Prey was completely glossed over at the Bethesda conference last night. It's even featured in the teaser image they released last month but it was a no show:
F0eYWDJ.jpg
(far left)

Wtf was Bethesda's plan with the release of this game? I don't understand.

Yeah saw Prey in Bethesda land and was expecting something more than it just being added in the sizzle wheel. The only bright side is that we are getting a Dishonered standalone. So it's something. Fingers crossed they don't push aside the Prey franchise.

We're probably not gonna get any news about DLC until a few months later.

Would be nice to get further confirmation for survival mode, though

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm sure it's been asked, but what are the worthwhile skills to invest into with neuromods?

Just got this, and I really like it. Such a shame Bethesda doesn't seem to know how to advertise Arkane's games :p The reviews don't seem to match up with it either. I'm guessing reviewers rushed the game because of the terrible review policy. This isn't the type of game you should rush at all. I'm having a blast just taking my time and enjoying everything.

GonzoCR

So I'm at
Deep Storage
and after a major glitch I'm unable to pick up
the hard drive.
. Really frustrating because I'm hooked right now and can't progress further. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Meccs

I can't get over the "
OMG my whole life is a lie and I am in space with deadly aliens, I need to escape but first let's look in every drawer I can find
" mentality. How is this game if I don't play it like "Gone Home in Space"?

I can't get over the "
OMG my whole life is a lie and I am in space with deadly aliens, I need to escape but first let's look in every drawer I can find
" mentality. How is this game if I don't play it like "Gone Home in Space"?

The first hour or so will be tough so you need to keep on your toes.
You should also keep in mind in what early skills you acquire.

As for "Gone Home in Space", Prey is not like that. You can focus on the main story only or branch off and explore and do some side quests. Exploring and doing the side quests is recommended to give you an edge over the Typhon

Top Bottom