• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

did the game sell well?...doesn't seem like it met expectations (in terms of sales)

Its about 257k, according to Steamspy. Which may or may not be a good thing.

I doubt Arkane would get shut down, though in a worst case scenario, they may work on one of Bethesda Game Studios franchises like Fallout or Elder Scrolls

Yeah,Arkane has become a team that i need to keep an eye from now on.
I haven't played dishonored 2 yet but i loved the first one and Prey has massively exceeded my expectations,it's simply amazing.

Play Dishonored 2 for sure, it's really good. Personally I think it's the best thing Arkane has made.

KOCMOHABT

But that would be a best case scenario.

Arkane are the last guys to properly do this kind of games (immersive sim/ stealth). Having their talent wasted on franchises like tes or fallout would make my heart bleed.
But theirs probably too.

That said I'm pretty confident in zenimax letting them do their thing when the games have been so well received

Did they fix the recent fuck up with this on PS4? I grabbed it cheap today and wouldn't mind starting it up but I dunno whether to install patches or play it unpatched.

Recently completed this game, think i ended around 26 hours. It was pretty much exactly what I've been craving for a bit now. The atmosphere, the music, the combat, exploration, etc... I loved it all. This is easily one of my favorite games this gen... Even the story i was overall very happy with.

I also loved how I went from being super cautious / scared through most of the game, only to end up feeling like a god near the end and fearing nothing. Felt really great to be able to just wreck enemies with ease and chain different abilities. I think in the end my abilities were close to 50/50 (half being human, half being typhon... maybe a tiny bit more in human)

Just an absolute gem. Even though the game was longer too, just never felt like I was ready for it to end. Really hope Arcane is able to give us more at some point!

kliklik

Banned
I wanted to plat the game, but I've been feeling an odd repulsion about replaying and killing everyone I find alive and so I haven't gotten around to restarting yet. I'd be killing everyone on a No Needles playthrough.

I think it's because I grew kind of sympathetic to all the characters on my first run from reading all the emails to, from, and about them. It feels really bad to kill the few survivors left after a disaster. I already felt a bit sad on my first run when I'd read so much about a character, and then finally find them but they're already dead.

Did anyone here do a playthrough killing everyone? Did it feel bad? Did it feel as bad as you thought it would?

Did they fix the recent fuck up with this on PS4? I grabbed it cheap today and wouldn't mind starting it up but I dunno whether to install patches or play it unpatched.

The issues have been there since 1.02. When trying to fix the input lag they messed with the framerate. I didn't really notice it except twice when the framerate tanked, other than that it ran fine. Note if you don't patch, you will have the input lag, any bugs on release, but smooth framerate. Honestly, I'd just patch it. As it seems the framerate issue is not too extreme. Probably only really bad if you are sensitive.

I wanted to plat the game, but I've been feeling an odd repulsion about replaying and killing everyone I find alive and so I haven't gotten around to restarting yet. I'd be killing everyone on a No Needles playthrough.

I think it's because I grew kind of sympathetic to all the characters on my first run from reading all the emails to, from, and about them. It feels really bad to kill the few survivors left after a disaster. I already felt a bit sad on my first run when I'd read so much about a character, and then finally find them but they're already dead.

Did anyone here do a playthrough killing everyone? Did it feel bad? Did it feel as bad as you thought it would?

I haven't done a kill everyone playthrough, but I don't think I can do it. I kinda like everyone too much to do it.

Does this game ever stop delivering? I'm completely in love.

Just did that quest where you
unlock the secret audio log in Dr. Kohl's office
. That was sooooo fucking cool because
I did that test in his office a few hours ago. Coming back now and finding out that a secret unlocks if you answer a certain way was amazing.
Such a great design. Man, this game is killing me.

Did have a big of a weird bug though. The AI of the
Nightmare-Typhon
was totally bugged. It just stood there and let me shoot it. I even reloaded because I felt guilty as this was supposed to be this tough fight but nope, AI bugged out on me again. What a downer. Hope they fix this shit.

Oh, and buy the way... Anyone know if all the codes for the doors/safes can actually be found or some of them have to be hacked? Since I enjoy exploring this game so much I'd rather go and search all the codes instead of hacking but I fear that some doors and safes have no codes but have to be hacked.

GavinUK86

Did have a big of a weird bug though. The AI of the
Nightmare-Typhon
was totally bugged. It just stood there and let me shoot it. I even reloaded because I felt guilty as this was supposed to be this tough fight but nope, AI bugged out on me again. What a downer. Hope they fix this shit.

That happened to me every time it showed up. Talk about immersion breaking.

Oh, and buy the way... Anyone know if all the codes for the doors/safes can actually be found or some of them have to be hacked? Since I enjoy exploring this game so much I'd rather go and search all the codes instead of hacking but I fear that some doors and safes have no codes but have to be hacked.

There are a few doors that must be hacked and one I've come across that can only been opened by
killing everyone on the station

Denzar

Man, I'm in serious trouble. I'm out of ammo, psi, medpacks, materials and everything else I need to stand a chance in this game. I've just reached Deep Storage and get slaughtered by the enemies there. I've ran past a couple of phantoms to get there. I thought, new area, new stuff to find, but NOPE. SLAUGHTERED.

Any tips? I've backtracked and searched everything I could find...

daviyoung

Banned
Man, I'm in serious trouble. I'm out of ammo, psi, medpacks, materials and everything else I need to stand a chance in this game. I've just reached Deep Storage and get slaughtered by the enemies there. I've ran past a couple of phantoms to get there. I thought, new area, new stuff to find, but NOPE. SLAUGHTERED.

what skills have you purchased?

it's very possible to back yourself in a corner as far as your build is concerned, and the start of the game is extremely punishing, but there should always be things you can throw at enemies to kill them when all else fails (especially O2/gas tanks)

patience and quicksave/quickload are your friends if you don't have optimal skills

Denzar

what skills have you purchased?

it's very possible to back yourself in a corner as far as your build is concerned, and the start of the game is extremely punishing, but there should always be things you can throw at enemies to kill them when all else fails (especially O2/gas tanks)

patience and quicksave/quickload are your friends if you don't have optimal skills

I've purchased quite a bit, but haven't really specialized in any of them except for my health and inventory. I use the shield (Backlash I think), Phantom Shift, Kinetic Blast and Mind Jack... But I'm out of Psi Hypos...

GavinUK86

I've purchased quite a bit, but haven't really specialized in any of them except for my health and inventory. I use the shield (Backlash I think), Phantom Shift, Kinetic Blast and Mind Jack... But I'm out of Psi Hypos...

If you're low on everything you may want to invest in the stealth skills. Help you to get around unnoticed.

daviyoung

Banned

I had a very human build and for a large portion of the game was just throwing cabinets at phantoms and running into rooms and closing the door behind me.

thought about sacrificing some non-trash items for the recycler?

There is a sidequest in Life Support that will allow you to fill up Psi at any water source.

There are also 3 turrets in Deep Storage fairly close together. You can throw them into and out of the no-gravity section as well.

Denzar

I had a very human build and for a large portion of the game was just throwing cabinets at phantoms and running into rooms and closing the door behind me.

thought about sacrificing some non-trash items for the recycler?

Oh yeah. Do it all the time.

There is a sidequest in Life Support that will allow you to fill up Psi at any water source.

There are also 3 turrets in Deep Storage fairly close together. You can throw them into and out of the no-gravity section as well.

Okay! Thanks!

Holy hell, the HUD mod really removes some of the annoyances I had in the game. Namely: Enemy music cues when they spot you, crouch/flashlight icons, alert markers, PoI markers, enemy markers on their heads, and so on.

If you are on PC, don't hesitate to use it

Its about 257k, according to Steamspy. Which may or may not be a good thing.

I doubt Arkane would get shut down, though in a worst case scenario, they may work on one of Bethesda Game Studios franchises like Fallout or Elder Scrolls

Dude if Arkane made a Fallout game... fuck. Why did you put this idea into my head.

GavinUK86

Holy hell, the HUD mod really removes some of the annoyances I had in the game. Namely: Enemy music cues when they spot you, crouch/flashlight icons, alert markers, PoI markers, enemy markers on their heads, and so on.

If you are on PC, don't hesitate to use it

Yup it's game changing. I didn't enable them all though. I disabled the item glimmering (which I always thought was stupid and it was in D1&2) and enemy marking. For me, that's enough to completely change the way the game feels and plays. I'm okay with the music and the spotting indicators.

roytheone

Man, I was REALLY enjoying it but then I reached the point where you encounter the
military operators that lazer you to death
and my enjoyment plummeted. Those are just not a lot of fun to fight :(

selfnoise

Man, I was REALLY enjoying it but then I reached the point where you encounter the

Do you have a disruptor pistol? Can you upgrade it? I found the disruptor extremely effective.

soultron

Banned
Do you have a disruptor pistol? Can you upgrade it? I found the disruptor extremely effective.

EMP grenades also help! Gloo does wonders too.

If you have the skills, you can even Hack them to turn them to your side once they're immobilized or temporarily disabled/shocked.

Also a hint for later encounters with this enemy archetype past this point:
when you encounter the hacked Dispensers that spawn Military Operators, place a large object in front of them or plaster them with Gloo to block the opening and stop them from spawning.

munroe

Use the stun gun they get annihilated by it

daviyoung

Banned

Stun gun and then wrench or hack if you have the level. Then put a crate in front of every operator terminal to stop them from spawning. The main problem with those bastards is that they can zap your shield like no business.

OBias

Also a hint for later encounters with this enemy archetype past this point:
when you encounter the hacked Dispensers that spawn Military Operators, place a large object in front of them or plaster them with Gloo to block the opening and stop them from spawning.
Gloo didn't help me for some reason, they were still tearing through. I had to stack objects instead.

TP

Just got to the Yellow Tulip and
Danielle's song is the absolute highlight of the game for me holy shit

This is exactly what I needed. The music, the ambush, the adrenaline

GvwUhyZ.gif

I'm definitely replaying SS2 after this

Question, about how much longer to finish the game?

bati

Quite a bit. It's a very meaty game for this genre. After I restarted my playthrough (questionable skill choices were made *cough*) I still needed ~10h to get to roughly midway point, even though I was familiar with environments, loot and enemies.

Joeku

GvwUhyZ.gif

You're goddamn right it is.

And if you're doing that in the standard order you're
somewhere a little past halfway I think?

Yeah this is usually the thing I wouldn't think of either, but the terminals specifically call out clearing space for the aperture (or opening or whatever). It was awesome.

psychotron

After beating the game at 62 hours, I went back for a little achievement cleanup. I was shocked that the achievement for finding everybody was only obtained by 1.52 percent of gamers. I've never been so proud, lol. They really need to fix the PS4 version, because I'd love to play through the game again on my Pro. I listen to the soundtrack at work and itch to go home and play more all day....so yeah, this is very likely my GOTY so far.

My second playthrough is done. Only have 5 achievements left to achieve (no kills/all kills, no neuromod run, split affinity, i and thou)

I said it before and I'll say it again, aside from issues, I'm loving Prey like a lot the more I play it. For me, its not just my GOTY, its perhaps my favorite Arkane game.

Hyperbolic, I know. But Arkane really earned a huge kudos in my book. Whatever they'll do next, I'm keeping a very close eye on them

robin2

Finished it. Really loved it. I was waiting for something like this System Shock 2.
My biggest gripe is that the aliens should have been better.
Mimics
are 10/10, but the rest of the cast wasn't as good. I especially disliked that they
reused the same humanoid alien 4 times; it should have been different aliens
. Also the
Nightmare
was simply awful both in looks and in combat.
Waiting for that hardcore patch for a second run, I think the game will be even better with it.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I feel like I'm off-count for I and it, even though I made sure to handle telepaths correctly. Looking at the security station things don't add up even considering later developments.

I hate "bad guy" playthroughs, seriously hope I don't have to do this shit twice

Still love this game tho

GvwUhyZ.gif

I somehow managed to skip this entire sequence.
I had no idea where Danielle's song was until this comment, and I certainly didn't realize there was a choreographed enemy encounter. I snuck into the bar through a ceiling vent and wandered around fifteen feet above the ground for a while before dropping down to check things out. Oops.

CHC

Just picked this up for PC now. Really looking forward to checking it out, I'm a huge fan of Arkane's stuff!

GvwUhyZ.gif

Easily my favorite part of the game. Also one of the most challenging.

Admitted I only beat it when
the thermalphantom failed to enter the Yellow Tulip and instead hung out at the bottom of the stairs in the lobby.

CHC

OK this game is ridiculously impossible on Nightmare, right? I mean, I suppose I could get through the whole thing by just spamming water fountains to heal after every encounter but I feel like it might just be more fun on Normal?

OK this game is ridiculously impossible on Nightmare, right? I mean, I suppose I could get through the whole thing by just spamming water fountains to heal after every encounter but I feel like it might just be more fun on Normal?

You should go on normal or hard.

Remember to use your resources and tools wisely against enemies. Also, food and non-alcoholic drinks gives you a health boost if you're running out of medkits.

And remember to use the Recycler (to recycle junk and items you no longer need) and Fabricator (to craft medkits or ammo for your weapons as long you have enough fabrication materials) as often as you can.

How's the game performance on a regular PS4 these days? I saw they've addressed the input lag twice and it seems to be fixed, but heard they might have broken the framerate in the process?

I plan on finally picking it up next week when it's on sale at Best Buy for $40 since I've got GCU.

Ashtar

How's the game performance on a regular PS4 these days? I saw they've addressed the input lag twice and it seems to be fixed, but heard they might have broken the framerate in the process?

I plan on finally picking it up next week when it's on sale at Best Buy for $40 since I've got GCU.
I came here to post the same question, I want to pick this up but would prefer not to have a stuttery mess

CHC

Yooo this game is like what I dreamed Bioshock would be. This is good.

Ah so much cool stuff! Being able to see the
safe code on the video of yourself once you figure out that it was recorded in the room with the erased whiteboard
- so neat!

munroe

I feel like I'm off-count for I and it, even though I made sure to handle telepaths correctly. Looking at the security station things don't add up even considering later developments.

I hate "bad guy" playthroughs, seriously hope I don't have to do this shit twice

Still love this game tho

I nearly messed that achievement up, I missed one in Crew Quarters but luckily, the double Igwe bug happened which counted as another kill, allowing me to get the achievement! 😁

Aon

I nearly messed that achievement up, I missed one in Crew Quarters but luckily, the double Igwe bug happened which counted as another kill, allowing me to get the achievement! 😁

Yeah I messed this one up, accidentally freed the blocked escape pod and didn't realise for ages.

Top Bottom