• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

How is the performance on PS4 pro? I didn't play the demo and have almost zero knowledge of this game as I just realised it was a SS2 homage rather than a sequel to the Native American alien invasion game on the doom 3 engine from way back. I heard that dishonoured had some issues with performance is why I'm asking

8 Hours in and I've pretty much avoided the main quest, couldn't figure out
how to get into Psychotronics and its morgue for a sidequest.
So I watched the
video in your office
to advance the story.

Arkeband

Banned
I tried the demo and I was amazed at how aggravating it was to kill the small mimics with a hammer. Somehow they came up with something even more obnoxious than shooting off only the waving hands and feet of aliens in Dead Space.

Is this limited to the beginning or do I have to keep playing shitty whack a mole the entire game?

The solution might just be "play this on PC with a keyboard and mouse, idiot", so if that's the case...

Gray-Fox

How is the performance on PS4 pro? I didn't play the demo and have almost zero knowledge of this game as I just realised it was a SS2 homage rather than a sequel to the Native American alien invasion game on the doom 3 engine from way back. I heard that dishonoured had some issues with performance is why I'm asking

ps4 still suffers from input lag. No PS pro enhancements from what ive heard.

4 hours in and it is awesome, it is essentially Bioshock in Space(same artstyle, audiologs, "plasmas" ect.) but more open. It is also awesome how you can find ways to do different things.
There was a large box (lifting 3 needed) blocking off a door and i only have lifting 1 so I threw a recycle ball at it and got in!
Also I am 4 hours in and I still cant
Turn into things!

I tried the demo and I was amazed at how aggravating it was to kill the small mimics with a hammer. Somehow they came up with something even more obnoxious than shooting off only the waving hands and feet of aliens in Dead Space.

Is this limited to the beginning or do I have to keep playing shitty whack a mole the entire game?

The solution might just be "play this on PC with a keyboard and mouse, idiot", so if that's the case...

You can put skills in your hammer so it does more damage or you can use one of the many guns, or you can use the other tools to kill them. The mimics die pretty fast even for me and I just started (and I am using a controller)

kc44135

ps4 still suffers from input lag. No PS pro enhancements from what ive heard.

How can a major AAA game release without any Pro support!? That's genuinely shocking to me. Also, if the input lag isn't fixed, then Arkane lied to PS4 owners, and won't see a single cent from me.

drotahorror

Hmm, my character is walking sort of zig-zag like now for some reason. Wtf is going on? He walks in a zig zag like motion and then starts walking straight again.

pc - kb/m.

Anno

How can a major AAA game release without any Pro support!? That's genuinely shocking to me. Also, if the input lag isn't fixed, then Arkane lied to PS4 owners, and won't see a single cent from me.

Other people here have said they haven't experienced input lag like in the demo.

kc44135

Other people here have said they haven't experienced input lag like in the demo.

Well, I'm waiting for a Digital Foundry verdict here. Input lag was horrific for me on the demo, and no Pro support is just downright disturbing to me.

4 hours in and it is awesome, it is essentially Bioshock in Space(same artstyle, audiologs, "plasmas" ect.) but more open. It is also awesome how you can find ways to do different things.
There was a large box (lifting 3 needed) blocking off a door and i only have lifting 1 so I threw a recycle ball at it and got in!
Also I am 4 hours in and I still cant
Turn into things!

You can put skills in your hammer so it does more damage or you can use one of the many guns, or you can use the other tools to kill them. The mimics die pretty fast even for me and I just started (and I am using a controller)

Is there a hammer in the game or are you guys just talking about the wrench incorrectly? I'm totally into a hammer instead of that wrench...

Tovarisc

Mimic? Hard to say...

prey_2017_05_05_16_43k9y4u.png

Is there a hammer in the game or are you guys just talking about the wrench incorrectly? I'm totally into a hammer instead of that wrench...

haha I am talking about wrench I just said hammer as he did so we were on the same page.

On a side note why cant you use weapon upgrade on the wrench?

Urthor

I don't see why a game needs to have support for the Pro. As long as it utilises the hardware to have improved framerates, a downscaled resolution on a 1080p TV is really not that much of a visual improvement. I've always preferred to use my pro to obtain the best possible framerate and it's no different for Prey.

ISee

I don't see why a game needs to have support for the Pro. As long as it utilises the hardware to have improved framerates, a downscaled resolution on a 1080p TV is really not that much of a visual improvement. I've always preferred to use my pro to obtain the best possible framerate and it's no different for Prey.

Obviously some people have their pros connected to 4k TVs.

danowat

Banned

While it doesn't have too, for a AAA title, it really should.

I hate this... seems so childish... ruins the experience for me.

I think it's fantastic. I'm in an abandoned space station and paranoid that an object is actually a mimic. Had a few self aware moments when I'm beating up cardboard boxes. If I didn't have the fear of getting caught off guard by something inhuman I don't believe it would have the same affect.

Don't understand any of the combat complaints. Unless you're using a controller or something, it just isn't true.

haha I am talking about wrench I just said hammer as he did so we were on the same page.

On a side note why cant you use weapon upgrade on the wrench?

I mean I suppose it would be a bit nonsensical. As in, what would you upgrade to the wrench since it's a physical kit of parts being added by the looks of it...a longer handle for more swinging force maybe?

Realistic or not, it'd be cool if you could upgrade the wrench into other sorts of tools maybe...or well, just find other melee tools. Now that I read hammer, I wish it had a hammer haha.

Two questions for those in the know:

1. Can I go around headshotting humans with my silenced pistol? I love doing that in this sort of game.

2. Does upgrading a gun change its appearance in any way? I miss this from the Bioshock games.

Cheers, Gaf.

Two questions for those in the know:

1. Can I go around headshotting humans with my silenced pistol? I love doing that in this sort of game.

2. Does upgrading a gun change its appearance in any way? I miss this from the Bioshock games.

Cheers, Gaf.

2. I upgraded my guns in the demo, but only the damage outputs specifically, but that didn't seem to alter the models. Not sure if other and/or further additions will though.

Shari

While it doesn't have too, for a AAA title, it really should.

Why would you put resources into making an effort for a platform that only have a small percentage of the player base while you have to fix something very annoying (ps4 input lag) for a much much bigger playerbase?

Heck even something like bringing FOV to the PC is an option that is going to be experienced/enjoyed by way many players than the PS4Pro exclusive features.

I dont see why it "really should", many ps4pro users are going to buy the game either way. The input lag on the other hand could cost sales.

So true.

danowat

Banned
Why would you put resources into making an effort for a platform that only have a small percentage of the player base while you have to fix something very annoying (ps4 input lag) for a much much bigger playerbase?

Both, smaller devs seem to manage it.

Shari

Both, smaller devs seem to manage it.

Well games that have spare time during development for extra features are on the low these days. I'm more surprised that every other title has had Pro support, even if mostly that has been a higher resolution and that's it.

I have to say that on PC, platform specific features are handled or heavy helped by the interested parts (nvidia effects, for example), Sony doesn't seem to be doing much to help with Pro implementation afaik.

In my opinion it's silly to argue against Pro support in new games. That this game isn't fleshed out on the Pro is just silly to me

And the whole "a downsampled image is hardly noticeably better" argument is so wrong. That needs to stop.

aravuus

You get alien powers when the story progresses, right? I'm like 5 hours in and still no powers, wondering if I've missed something.

Shari

In my opinion it's silly to argue against Pro support in new games. That this game isn't fleshed out on the Pro is just silly to me

And the whole "a downsampled image is hardly noticeably better" argument is so wrong. That needs to stop.

Amazing argument.

Remember when yesterday you said that the team behind prey was the same as dishonored 2? Man you're on a roll!

Freeman76

This game is incredible! Shame it has no PRO support but that shit is mandatory for new releases so it will drop soon no doubt

Roussow

Mannn, there's a jump scare involving a green dot that fucked my day up, perfect.

Mechanical spoilers up through Psychotronics:
Half way through the first area to introduce some of the crazier powers, they just dropped another 3 fucking skill trees on me, plus a whole scanning/research mechanic, nuts!
They way the characters were talking about using/abusing these powers, it sounds like there might be some sort of Dishonored-esque morality-ish mechanic tied to this stuff, making yourself more powerful at the expense of making more enemies, I'm yet to see any of this in action, but I'm very impressed with this game in every aspect.

I never played System Shock, I got a lot of it through osmosis, but is this like crazy similar? It feels like a split between Bioshock and Human Revolution (never played original Deus Ex, either) to me so far, which I'm digging the hell out of.

aravuus

Finally got my first alien power, and this is clearly the deepest RPG in a while. I can roleplay as a coffee mug, or a box, or a chair.

Mannn, there's a jump scare involving a green dot that fucked my day up, perfect.

I literally just arrived to a room with a green dot and an audio log regarding that green dot.

Now I know to be prepared!

e: okay, still fucked my day up

Top Bottom