• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

ezekial45

Banned
I got a copy of the PS4 version. How is it? I heard there were some problems with the controller responsiveness?

Has it been fixed or was that blow out of proportion.

Roussow

It is mandatory on all new releases, the truth is out there all it takes is a quick google.

So I decided to go hunting for the actual information on this, best I could find was this blog post
Q: Will all PS4 games be compatible with PS4 Pro?
Yes, all existing PS4 games are fully compatible with PS4 Pro.
What I gathered from that is developers are able to use the Pros features, and the only requirement is that PS4 games also on the Pro, the enhancement side is on the developers, I could find anything that says they have to make everything 4K, for example.

But I don't know for sure, if someone could find a quote to clarify it would help.

Im staying pure in case of story reasons. Lol.

Oh I get it, but I'm too deep in now to stop! I feel like a bloody neuromod addict.

Roussow

Thanks. I hope they don't break the game.
It doesn't add much, I ended up finding the regular shotgun minutes after grabbing the dlc one, stats are identical, and I kinda liked the basic design of the regular one better, so I stashed the dlc shotgun in my safe

Fucking Skill trees man:

5IrUit6.jpg

q4YJ61u.jpg

T6HRouv.jpg

I love this motherfucking game!

My copy arrived :D installing now.

Let me know what you think. <3

It doesn't add much, I ended up finding the regular shotgun minutes after grabbing the dlc one, stats are identical, and I kinda liked the basic design of the regular one better, so I stashed the dlc shotgun in my safe

It really doesn't, I found tons of shit by exploring and using the fabricator and recycler.

I found the Fabricator and Recycler to be weirdly satisfying to use in the demo. I don't know what it is about it, but somehow I was really looking forward to pushing those buttons every time haha

Roussow

It really doesn't, I found tons of shit by exploring and using the fabricator and recycler.

I skimmed past the inventory upgrade in the skill tree for my first few hours -- I did far too many runs back to that recycler in your office, at least one inventory expansion seems mandatory.

I found the Fabricator and Recycler to be weirdly satisfying to use in the demo. I don't know what it is about it, but somehow I was really looking forward to pushing those buttons every time haha

It's so tactile, it's way more than just crafting in a menu, the fact that it's all in world just gives it that extra oomph!

Played for about four hours (up to getting into Dr Calvino's lab), and I'm absolutely loving this so far. It feels like a perfect blend of Dishonored and Bioshock, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm tempted to say it leans further towards the Dishonored/Deus Ex end of the spectrum, but the stealth mechanics aren't especially robust and it seems like a certain amount of combat is going to be unavoidable. I've been bonking a lot of Mimics with my wrench, which is quite a bit more finicky than it needs to be due to a slow swing, very mobile enemies, and what seems to me to be a completely unnecessary stamina bar governing how many times I can swing. There's a skill in the tree to power up my wrench attacks and make them more stamina efficient, but right now I'm still feeling things out and don't want to rush any upgrades just yet.

All that Deus Ex goodness of hacking terminals to read e-mails, find passwords and keycodes and subquests is present and accounted for, so I'm basically in heaven. I upgraded my physical strength to move some boxes out of the way to get into a ventilation duct; you know the drill. While I haven't got any particularly impressive physical abilities yet, creating my own staircases with the GLOO Gun is a really cool way of accessing otherwise inaccessible areas. Not quite sold on the hacking minigame, though :p

I'm playing on PS4 Pro with Boost Mode, but I don't know if it's doing anything. Performance is fine; solid 30 with no stuttering or noticeable drops that I can see. Quick Load times are about 10 seconds, while loads for travelling between areas are just over a minute, but you don't have to do that very often. The controller UI is actually excellent, to my surprise; really well laid-out menus and interaction options, and you can even lean around corners and Quick Save/Quick Load. Still probably a game best played with a keyboard and mouse, but the PS4 version is perfectly competent from what I've seen so far. I didn't play the demo, so I don't know if the input lag has been fixed or not, but it doesn't feel particularly bad to me. It's not the most responsive game I've ever played, but I'm not having trouble doing anything.

Truant

I take back my complaint about not enough sidequests.

I HAVE SO MANY SIDEQUESTS. LIke, 13-14 active right now. What did you guys chose for the Advent sidequest? I pushed the button :(

And there's a 20 feet terrifying enemy in the main hub.

Mimic? Hard to say...

prey_2017_05_05_16_43k9y4u.png

tenor.gif

Pretty much my reaction every time I stare at something in the environment.

I skimmed past the inventory upgrade in the skill tree for my first few hours -- I did far too many runs back to that recycler in your office, at least one inventory expansion seems mandatory.

It's so tactile, it's way more than just crafting in a menu, the fact that it's all in world just gives it that extra oomph!

The first thing I do in skill trees/power trees is read everything. haha. I got that early.

nOoblet16

Dear God the Deep Storage area is some nightmare of level design. It immediately follows up on a big area which has no fabricator which was preceded by another big area with no fabricators. Tons of typhoon, little to no resources and very funneled level design.

Also can I just take a moment to say that the hacking mini game sucks balls with a keyboard due to not being able to control the pace of the little circle and also being limited to only 8 directions.

emrober5

In this thread I learned that people actually argue against PS4 pro support. Amazing.

There is no reason this shouldn't have a pro mode, even if it's just a resolution bump.

I take back my complaint about not enough sidequests.

I HAVE SO MANY SIDEQUESTS. LIke, 13-14 active right now. What did you guys chose for the Advent sidequest? I pushed the button :(

And there's a 20 feet terrifying enemy in the main hub.

was that the one with the convict in the cell?

Dear God the Deep Storage area is some nightmare of level design. It immediately follows up on a big area which has no fabricator which was preceded by another big area with no fabricators. Tons of typhoon, little to no resources and very funneled level design.

Also can I just take a moment to say that the hacking mini game sucks balls with a keyboard due to not being able to control the pace of the little circle and also being limited to only 8 directions.

Are you sure your not missing some? I swear most maps have em even if they are split apart. Otherwise airlock travel should get you back to one rathwr quickly.I never seem to go too long without using one. Granted my inventory is expanded twice so I can hold more.

PS4 Pro - That input lag... It feels worse.

It bothered me through the demo, but I pushed through.

I bought the full game, but I don't&#8203; know if I want to play it till it gets fixed. Damn me and my hasty purchases.

Freeman76

PS4 Pro - That input lag... It feels worse.

It bothered me through the demo, but I pushed through.

I bought the full game, but I don't&#8203; know if I want to play it till it gets fixed. Damn me and my hasty purchases.

I have none, also playing on pro. Very odd!

Ricker

For the PS4 Pro stuff,I am looking at the back of some of my games and some say PS4 Pro enhanced,like RE7,Mass Effect A...some games that I know have them doesnt say so on the back tough,like CoD IW...

Maybe all new games that came out after December say Pro Enhanced...does it say it on the back of the Prey box...?

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I'm glad I stopped by this thread before we recorded anything with this game -- I'm playing on a PS4 Pro and the movement and camera control feel like you're slogging through molasses every time you want to dodge an enemy or whip the camera around. Makes the combat in particular feel like a chore. Had no idea this was an acknowledged problem from the demo and I couldn't figure out how they thought this game felt good to play when they shipped it, thought I might be losing my mind.

Also just from eyeballing it, looks like the final version didn't get any Pro enhancements over the demo? There's some butt-ugly aliasing going on and I couldn't tell a difference when I tried it on a PS4 Casual.

I'd start this over on PC if I had time, what a mess.

psychotron

When I read the methods being used to fix the input lag, I didn't think it'd get the desired effect. It's like playing on a tv with input lag and adjusting controller sensitivity and dead spot area, it's not fixing the actual problem. I hope they fix this quick.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Playing on PS Pro-

When load load a save it has the animated circle icon on the left, then it switches to the 4 boxes animated icon on the right, then when the load is done it says press x to continue.

What's so bizarre is that how long it takes to finish the load when the 4 animated boxes are playing is wildly inconsistent.

Just now I saved outside a room with a brutal enemy in it. Ever time I died and reloaded, it would sit at that animated box icon part of the load for about 10 seconds. I died and reloaded about 6 times. Then I decided to switch to a pistol, and move slightly to the right and quicksaved. Now when I load that save it sits at the four boxes loading section for 1 second.

What the hell! Switching to a pistol and moving myself 2 feet reduced my load times by 90%!

What in the hell is the game doing during that four boxes part of the load???

I don't know if it's input lag so much as just really sluggish character movement. Your dude moves really slowly, and the default aiming sensitivity is at 20/100. There are upgrades in the skill tree that increase your overall movement speed by certain percentages, which is really unusual, too. The wrench swing animation is long, with a lot of windup, and the Mimics are blindingly fast, and the FOV is pretty low so they can disappear off-screen before you know it. Kind of a perfect storm for frustration.

So far struggling to bonk Mimics has basically been the most difficult part of the game :p

Shari

In this thread I learned that people actually argue against PS4 pro support. Amazing.

There is no reason this shouldn't have a pro mode, even if it's just a resolution bump.

You definitely need to improve your reading skills.

Welp, we're going to have to start Pro performance threads now before OTs get hijacked.

aravuus

Oh my god, initially I was disappointed to find out Kinetic Blast wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I just noticed time stops when you're aiming it! Move a bit, and time moves a bit too.

Man, the first two powers have been really goddamn cool. I was expecting some super generic early-game powers, but these are pretty clever. Can't wait to see what the game has to offer later on.

When I read the methods being used to fix the input lag, I didn't think it'd get the desired effect. It's like playing on a tv with input lag and adjusting controller sensitivity and dead spot area, it's not fixing the actual problem. I hope they fix this quick.
Lol, just like dishonered 2 they wont fix the problem
I feel like most people who dont have aiming issues have been playing on 35+ inch televisions and have never played on a TV with a fast response time

Tovarisc

Anyone here been to S
huttle Bay
and fully cleared it yet? Need some tip-rino about
opening pod with busted hatch

I don't know if it's input lag so much as just really sluggish character movement. Your dude moves really slowly, and the default aiming sensitivity is at 20/100. There are upgrades in the skill tree that increase your overall movement speed by certain percentages, which is really unusual, too. The wrench swing animation is long, with a lot of windup, and the Mimics are blindingly fast, and the FOV is pretty low so they can disappear off-screen before you know it. Kind of a perfect storm for frustration.

So far struggling to bonk Mimics has basically been the most difficult part of the game :p

The movement feels much better after the first movement speed upgrade. After getting it in the demo, it made me think that what I have now should've been your starting point, the default speed feels gimped to have to get the upgrade. Kind of like you're starting at 75% movement capacity and need to upgrade to 90% or something with the first upgrade and then more with later ones.

It increased my enjoyment of the game vastly, I think that upgrade is essential.

Anung

Un Rama
Immediate impressions are: Music is rad, Doom 3 style interface is welcome, RE4 style item management is <3 and damn the vibe feels like system shock 2.

Two things I really hope to see patched in are more granular options for the UI, Dishonored-style (let me turn off objective markers without losing everything), and a fix for the absurdly low audiolog/voice-in-your-ear dialogue. I have to stare at the subtitles the whole time anyone is talking to me because it's ludicrously quiet.

shiba5

Lol, just like dishonered 2 they wont fix the problem
I feel like most people who dont have aiming issues have been playing on 35+ inch televisions and have never played on a TV with a fast response time

I'm playing on a 65" Samsung KS8000. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to it, but it feels night and day compared to the demo.

Shari

Mostly referring to it literally being 1 m-ish off the ground making it obvious Mimic. Seen a lot of those.

I didn't know either, I actually thought it was a mimic because it was like a 30% larger than it should but didn't realize is a perspective issue, it's not bigger, just closer.

Got 4 hours in last night and am loving it so far. The atmosphere is incredible - especially once I turned off the music. Don't get me wrong, it's good music, but something about being in mostly silence except for the ambient sounds, without any battle music or the "you should be scared now" tracks really got me immersed. The tension every time I enter a new area is fantastic - never been so suspicious of every little thing.

Can't wait to dive in for more after work.

malfcn

Got my copy. Installing for after work. The steelbook is pretty nice. However mine has a tiny sliver scratch on Morgan's glove.

Top Bottom