• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Whelp, I made an error in judgement.

I went to the
trauma centre(?) and there was a "???" which was basically a phantom on fire, which I couldn't gloo (it would burst out) and was shooting what seemed at the time fire bombs at me, I used all my 30 9mm bullets on it's head and had to whack it with the wrench 3 or 4 times to kill it (running away in between) also no shotty yet. My hands were drenched in sweat. I feckin love this game!

Also: Is there any pros/cons to killing the quarantined guy in the locked room?

....you do know that place is packed to the gills with explosive canisters for a reason, yeah?

and there's probably some, otherwise they wouldnt give you the option to knock them out instead. Can use a nade or the stun gun.

Do quite like how every encounter with phantoms seems to happen near explosive canisters.

Khoryos

....you do know that place is packed to the gills with explosive canisters for a reason, yeah?

and there's probably some, otherwise they wouldnt give you the option to knock them out instead. Can use a nade or the stun gun.

Do quite like how every encounter with phantoms seems to happen near explosive canisters.

I went in there before I went to the office, so no guns, and I didn't have Leverage so I couldn't throw canisters for shit. That fight was terrifying!

Gav47

Really enjoyed my first two hours with this, the prop hunt-esque gameplay is novel and the story is intriguing but holy shit some of the audio design (enemies in particular) is very grating especially when playing with headphones.

Really enjoyed my first two hours with this, the prop hunt-esque gameplay is novel and the story is intriguing but holy shit some of the audio design (enemies in particular) is very grating especially when playing with headphones.
For real, I'm jumping more than I did in Outlast 2 because the music suddenly jumps in volume 500%. All of the fucking time.

ymgve

Anyone finished the game yet who could answer a simple yes or no question - if you never install any alien neuromods, does that lead to plot changes later on?

Also, if someone wants some well hidden early neuromods in the lobby:
Security station, the desk with the RPG character sheet, briefcase wedged between the left side of the desk and wall

God damn mimics get me every time , even though I'm just retreading the demo areas , that combination of jump scare music and seeing it run off not quiet sure if it's in the same room or if it ran next door and just how many there are .

Scary shit

Ugh still at work....I just want to leave early to play...

And I have to drive for 3 hours after work today ughhhhh

Shouldn't have started yesterday, now all I can think about doing is backtracking to open up some new rooms I realized how to get into.

I didn't have any guns worth a damn either, so I handled that one by hauling a turret out from my office and luring the thing into its line of fire and glooing it. Love this game.

aravuus

Anyone finished the game yet who could answer a simple yes or no question - if you never install any alien neuromods, does that lead to plot changes later on?

I'm far from finishing the game, but I'm like 99% sure it's gonna have at least some effect. They reference you being a human (dialogue line spoiler and just some speculation)
and not a typhon in such a heavy-handed way at times, like when January tells you about turrets ("they only shoot at typhon, good thing you're completely human, wink wink"), that I'll be shocked if they leave it at that.

ymgve

I'm far from finishing the game, but I'm like 99% sure it's gonna have at least some effect. They reference you being a human (dialogue line spoiler and just some speculation)
and not a typhon in such a heavy-handed way at times, like when January tells you about turrets ("they only shoot at typhon, good thing you're completely human, wink wink"), that I'll be shocked if they leave it at that.

Not sure that needs to be a spoiler since it's so early game, but
yeah, I know about the turrets. But at least there, I think it's not a binary no mods/any mods at all, since it probably reacts to what alien tech level shows on your status screen

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I feel pretty weak with no alien mods, and there are some areas that I think are completely unreachable without alien mods - specifically, the areas that are behind doorways blocked by broken vertical bars.

GrayFoxPL

I had zero interest in the game but I tried the demo and played it whole day! Awesome 'shock style fun.

And that shotgun, puts to shame most fps'es. Boom!

So was the input lag fixed on PS4? I noticed DF haven't done a full analysis just yet but haven't heard anything new. Would like to grab it there, but I'll get it on the One to avoid that.

whyman

The game is awesome but I need help! Its not a big spoiler, no story or anything. Just a question where to find an item.

I cant find the repair suit kit blueprint. Its a nightmare not being able to create them. (About 5 hours in) Anyone know where it is?

ultrazilla

So was the input lag fixed on PS4? I noticed DF haven't done a full analysis just yet but haven't heard anything new. Would like to grab it there, but I'll get it on the One to avoid that.

A poster (whom seemed to know plans for the game post launch) told me there would be a day 1 patch for the input lag specifically.

And as others have asked or inquired: PC or PS4(Pro?) version?

A poster (whom seemed to know plans for the game post launch) told me there would be a day 1 patch for the input lag specifically.

Nice, just noticed they mentioned that in DF's video too so it must be legit. I'll get it for my Pro. Thanks!

Anno

From purely a performance perspective PC seems to be the answer if you have a semi-recent machine. Being able to play with a mouse seems to be of notable help as well.

Megasoum

Banned
Played a bit of the pc version during my lunch break.

Games runs great and controls mostly fine... For some reason I can't do F for Use in games and since you can't use E (because of lean) then I ended up binding Use to one of the mouse's thumb button..

I really wish we could use the LMB for controlling the computers tho... I keep smashing the screens with my wrench when trying to read emails lol.

Rien

Jelly Belly
So, after all these 50+ hours games i am looking for a shorter but intense experience. Normally i am not a big fan of shooters but i do like shooters where there is a great atmosphere and story like the Bioshock series.
I have never played System Shock but i loved the hell out of Dishonored 1 and 2.
I am about to go to the store and i want to ask you fellow gaffers.. is this game a recommendation or should i wait for when its cheap?
The reviews are very good but there are not so much atm and i rather hear it from you guys/girls.

Thanx

aravuus

The zero-G parts can get disorienting as fuck. I feel like I've missed a lot of side content already due to the sprawling, complex level design.

Not necessarily complaining. I'm usually not a massive fan of getting lost all the time, but it fits the game and makes sense. Those zero-G parts though, I just fly through and try to get to the next story trigger asap lol.

So, after all these 50+ hours games i am looking for a shorter but intense experience. Normally i am not a big fan of shooters but i do like shooters where there is a great atmosphere and story like the Bioshock series.
I have never played System Shock but i loved the hell out of Dishonored 1 and 2.
I am about to go to the store and i want to ask you fellow gaffers.. is this game a recommendation or should i wait for when its cheap?
The reviews are very good but there are not so much atm and i rather hear it from you guys/girls.

Thanx

There you go. Buy it asap. :p

Thanx

Why wait? Games like this need to be encouraged to be made. Initial reviews are giving the all clear.

I've heard this game referred to as "Bioshock in space". How accurate is that? Is the combat slow and methodical like Bioshock and does it have as good of a story?

It's a spiritual successor to system shock, made in a time where Bioshock exists. So, it's a system shock that is conscious of modern improvements. People who have only played Bioshock will see Bioshock, but this game is way deeper.

Thanx

Def for you. Its less shooter and more rpg and exploration.

I've heard this game referred to as "Bioshock in space". How accurate is that? Is the combat slow and methodical like Bioshock and does it have as good of a story?

Kadin

Some of the computer terminals are really hard to interact with. I'm at one right now and I cannot back out of the email I'm reading to look at other stuff. I've moved in all directions, changed what I was holding and I guess the only thing to try and do is reload the game. It seems to happen a lot when the terminals are leaning back.

edit: okay reload fixed it. When I first approached this before reload it was finicky. Now that I reloaded it, it's acting as normal from a few feet away or right up next to it.

Holding off until more reviews come out for this and I see more impressions from you guys. I'm still working on P5 anyway, but I played the demo and this game seems right up my alley. I love immersive sims like Bioshock, and this seems like Bioshock in space so I'm super interested :)

So in terms of tone, how much of a horror atmosphere is there here? I was hoping for something in the vein of Dead Space, but maybe this is closer to Mass Effect-cum-Bioshock or something?

So bummed I got asked to stay at work a full day today, had planned on sinking my afternoon and night into this. Oh well. Loving that impressions seems so positive though, had a feeling this might be like Doom for the year of a surprisingly decent, long gestating game.

Played a bit of the pc version during my lunch break.

Games runs great and controls mostly fine... For some reason I can't do F for Use in games and since you can't use E (because of lean) then I ended up binding Use to one of the mouse's thumb button..

I really wish we could use the LMB for controlling the computers tho... I keep smashing the screens with my wrench when trying to read emails lol.

Press Z when you are on a computer and it will let you to focus on them and use the LMB to control them.

Vic_Viper

Anyone here on PC been able to optimize the game with the Geforce Experience app?

Mine still says game cannot be optimized. I just downloaded the most recent Nvidia update and started the game/changed the graphics settings. I set it to the Very High basic setting and it runs great, just like being able to use the optimize setting with Geforce whenever possible.

Gurish

I know the demo's impressions were pretty mediocre, but reviews so far are great, is it becuse the game gets better after the demo part or is it because the reviewers so far just don't agree with GAF's opinions?

ymgve

I know the demo's impressions were pretty mediocre, but reviews so far are great, is it becuse the game gets better after the demo part or is it because the reviewers so far just don't agree with GAF's opinions?

The demo was mostly panned for input lag on PS4 and bad combat music timing, the latter is fixed and the former is supposedly fixed, but I'm playing on PC where there never were any input lag issues in the first place.

Kadin

Press Z when you are on a computer and it will you to focus on them and use the LMB to control them.
Great tip! I had no clue about this and it'll help for sure. I'm just glad you can't accidentally destroy these terminals cuz more than half would be shattered by now...

Haven't played or watched anything about this game yet, just read a bit of this thread, but just curious, are mimics randomly generated, or are they in set places?

eXistor

I'm sure everyone knows, but for those who don't: you can turn off the objective marker in the journal screen, just set your mission marker to "inactive". I absolutely detest objective markers in games like this, so I was glad the option was there, just a bit hidden.

Finally made it past the demo section. Hard definitely lives up to its name, you got to plan when you're up against anything bigger than a mimic.

I like the metroidvania design, getting codes and keycards to unlock doors in areas you've been to already

Pygrus

Haven't played or watched anything about this game yet, just read a bit of this thread, but just curious, are mimics randomly generated, or are they in set places?

Initial mimc encounters seem constant. However, if you don't kill a mimc fast enough it will run in a random direction and hide again. Its not the initial jump scare of the mimic that is scary, its the hunt for it again if you don't kill it fast enough.

If there are multiple ones at once, good luck keeping track of all of them.

Top Bottom