• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Of course people start reporting the input lag again after I go out and buy the PS4 version. :p

Oh well, I'll test it out soon enough.

This may be totally placebo, but I think disabling boost mode on the Pro reduces the input lag.

Boost Mode does cause issues with some games so it could be plausible. I'll test that out too!

J4g3r

Has this been posted yet?

One of the best Steam reviews I've seen in a while.

C_DicvXVoAAFvrw.jpg

Stoze

I'm guessing they tweaked deadzones and acceleration like they said they would, but I think CryEngine might have something inherently wrong with input lag when it's on PS4. Someone posted this on reddit:
They've asserted that they're going to patch aiming on PS4 before release. From what I've read, they've altered deadzones and curves and the like. But... I am a little concerned because "CryEngine game has noticable input lag on PS4 that is absent on every other platform" is almost a consistent trend at this point.

• Everyone's Gone to the Rapture had input lag on PS4.
  • EVOLVE had input lag on PS4.
  • Homefront: The Revolution had input lag on PS4.
  • Prey Demo had input lag on PS4.
Ghost Warrior 3 probably has input lag on PS4, too, but I haven't seen any reports yet.
I've seen input lag complaints regarding those games before, so I think they were onto something.

GavinUK86

This is why I love this damn game already. Backtracking through the entire station, after getting the mimic ability, to find these boarded doors because now I get can through them!

6Ghi1db.gif

So after 6 hours and 30 minutes I just entered
Psychotronics
. How far am I ? I've already played a lot and it feels like I'm still at the beginning.

I got to say, I wasn't feeling the Typhon design before the demo and game, but I really like them now. They're pretty well animated, given them a very alien feel with their liquid smoke biology, versus the aliens in Mass Effect and other games. They're creepy in their design, especially when you hear the Phantoms muttering. And their movesets are varied and encourage you to plan your approach. At least in the early game so far, they feel like a real threat that needs to be approached with caution every time

Hale_C

I'm a bit of the way through
psychotronics
. Now I'm not sure what to do with a certain common item:

Is there anything I can do with exotic material other than use it to craft neuromods? I want to avoid the negative consequences of crafted neuromods the game hints at and stick to found upgrades, but not sure if it's worth keeping in my inventory otherwise.

What difficulty level should I play this on? Hard or nightmare?

I found hard a good balance at the start, but it got easy quite fast with the amount of stuff I was collecting so I put it up to nightmare. It's still not a hard game, but it's a better balance at the top difficulty and makes you consider your resources more.

How are people who are further in feeling about the story and characters? As much as I love the Dishonored series and it's world building it always falls apart on those fronts. Had no clue Avallone was involved, that's hopeful!

How are people who are further in feeling about the story and characters? As much as I love the Dishonored series and it's world building it always falls apart on those fronts. Had no clue Avallone was involved, that's hopeful!

I find it very intriguing so far. Hell, I like it more than Dishonored 1/2's plot and characters, though its not exactly a high bar lol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm guessing they tweaked deadzones and acceleration like they said they would, but I think CryEngine might have something inherently wrong with input lag when it's on PS4. Someone posted this on reddit:

I've seen input lag complaints regarding those games before, so I think they were onto something.

ARK has horrible input lag as well.

So here's the important question, does anyone know if any of those actually got fixed?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't know about PayPal's exchange rates, but anyway, we need AUD prices.

Fun fact: AUD and UAH (Ukranian hryvnia) are the only currencies mentioned as future currencies during the first Steam Dev Days that have yet to be implemented. I'd wager the lack of UAH support is down to the volatile relationship between Ukraine and Russia, however I'd long assumed that Valve was waiting for its legal tiff with the ACCC to be over before implementing AUD support, and, well, here we are, roughly five months later, still suffering the financial burden of USD.

To be perfectly frank, at this juncture, I can't think of a single valid reason for the lack of AUD support that is more substantial than "Because we don't want to."

Edit:
Ah, right, [I wasn't aware that Valve appealed the judgement]. The Commonwealth Courts site lists the case as "finalised", which I figured meant the window for appeal had closed. I actually did wonder why the judgement notice wasn't put up on the AU store as per the ACCC's ruling but ultimately assumed it was a low priority that fell to the wayside.

Ivan

How does it play on a gamepad? Does it feel good as a whole?

I can see some sections that clearly need a mouse, but I'm asking about the general feel.

Zutrax

Alright here's what I'm getting guys.
https://youtu.be/_sj3r56YZh8

1.01 patch is installed.
This is on a PS4 Pro, boost mode enabled.
TV is a KS8000 with game mode on, so approximately 19ms of TV latency.

This feels a little better than the demo did, but the input lag is very obviously still here. Hope this gets fixed for good at some point.

Update: Tried without boost mode, felt almost exactly the same, if there is a difference it's small enough for me to not have noticed.

Update 2: Here's a video with boost mode off. It seems like it might be a very tiny bit better, but certainly not gone.
https://youtu.be/F14SslibEus

Giant Bomb also comments on it in their Quick Look:
https://youtu.be/lY4ZHKrAqlc?t=404

damn this is really really really great so far. about 4 and a half hours in. actually really tense and I've jumped more than a few times. finding anything bigger than a mimic really tough and multiple mimics can take me down easily.

Anno

1.01 patch is installed.

This feels a little better than the demo did, but the input lag is very obviously still here. Hope this gets fixed for good at some point.

Couple people here seem to think it might work better without boost on. Maybe give that a try?

madjoki

Fun fact: AUD and UAH (Ukranian hryvnia) are the only currencies mentioned as future currencies during the first Steam Dev Days that have yet to be implemented. I'd wager the lack of UAH support is down to the volatile relationship between Ukraine and Russia, however I'd long assumed that Valve was waiting for its legal tiff with the ACCC to be over before implementing AUD support, and, well, here we are, roughly five months later, still suffering the financial burden of USD.

Valve did appeal decision, so it's not yet over.

eXistor

Just played a few hours. This is good shit right here. Exactly the kind of game I had hoped it would be, but was afraid it wasn't gonna be. It is. My only gripe so far would be the iffy combat, but everything else is just gravy. I'm not looking at the map or using objective markers. Learning the lay of the land by yourself is so much more fun.

Just played a few hours. This is good shit right here. Exactly the kind of game I had hoped it would be, but was afraid it wasn't gonna be. It is. My only gripe so far would be the iffy combat, but everything else is just gravy. I'm not looking at the map or using objective markers. Learning the lay of the land by yourself is so much more fun.

The layout is so well designed I don't even need a map. Level design is amazing and reminds me of the old classics.

Zutrax

Couple people here seem to think it might work better without boost on. Maybe give that a try?

Tried it without boost mode, feels virtually the same. Didn't do a side by side comparison, but it felt similar enough to not warrant it to me. Updating post.

shiba5

1.01 patch is installed.

Update: Tried without boost mode, felt almost exactly the same, if there is a difference it's small enough for me to not have noticed.

Same TV and a Pro, but I don't have boost mode on. It feels way better than the demo to me.

Zutrax

Same TV and a Pro, but I don't have boost mode on. It feels way better than the demo to me.

It does feel slightly better than the demo overall I think, but I'll take a video of it without boost mode and see if there's a big difference side by side with my other video.

I'm a bit of the way through
psychotronics
. Now I'm not sure what to do with a certain common item:

Is there anything I can do with exotic material other than use it to craft neuromods? I want to avoid the negative consequences of crafted neuromods the game hints at and stick to found upgrades, but not sure if it's worth keeping in my inventory otherwise.

I found hard a good balance at the start, but it got easy quite fast with the amount of stuff I was collecting so I put it up to nightmare. It's still not a hard game, but it's a better balance at the top difficulty and makes you consider your resources more.

This is good to know. I was debating between Hard and Nightmare but I'm going to start on Nightmare!!

Quick questions:
- Does it stay as good and scary as the demo?
- Did they fix the controller lag on PS4? Cause it was so bad it hurt.
- I was getting my butt handed to me on Easy in the demo. Do you get better equipment as it goes along? Or do I gotta git gud.

shiba5

It does feel slightly better than the demo overall I think, but I'll take a video of it without boost mode and see if there's a big difference side by side with my other video.

I'm not super sensitive to it either. I never had a problem with Dishonored 2, but I know a lot of people did.

Spoo

Quick questions:
- I was getting my butt handed to me on Easy in the demo. Do you get better equipment as it goes along? Or do I gotta git gud.

It's quite a bit better than the demo in terms of scares and atmosphere. Dunno about lag, playing on PC. Games seems to get harder and harder, honestly, due to resource sapping -- though maybe it lets up.

Zutrax

Quick questions:

Check out my post, I took some videos of the PS4 version.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235865971&postcount=1227

I'm not super sensitive to it either. I never had a problem with Dishonored 2, but I know a lot of people did.

Ah, maybe that's the difference. I'm very sensitive to this stuff. I took a video and updated my post, feels very similar and looks to be similar with boost mode on or off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve did appeal decision, so it's not yet over.

Ah, right, so it did. The Commonwealth Courts site lists the case as "finalised", which I figured meant the window for appeal had closed. I actually did wonder why the judgement notice wasn't put up on the AU store as per the ACCC's ruling but ultimately assumed it was a low priority that fell to the wayside.

d00d3n

How important is it to be able to fix broken machines? I got four nice neuromods after climbing the lobby walls with my goo, but I can't decide between hacking 2 or repair + larger inventory.

How important is it to be able to fix broken machines? I got four nice neuromods after climbing the lobby walls with my goo, but I can't decide between hacking 2 or repair + larger inventory.

haha yeah. You should level up all three but I'd say go for larger inventory first because you'll find lots of stuff.

edit: Should I use
Alien
mods or not? Does it change the story and ending?

Freeman76

If you quickly move the right stick sideways to its limit so you can hear the sound of it hitting plastic, the on-screen reaction doesn't happen a half second after that sound? In the demo, it was really noticeable.

No I dont get anything like that, for me its smooth as it can be at 30fps, I literally feel no lag at all. You have to remember people blow shit way out of proportion on here, a small issue becomes "gamebreaking". Anyhow, thats my take on it, no issues for me the game is smooth and highly playable. I do notice the lack of pro patch even though im on a 1080p tv though.

d00d3n

haha yeah, everyone of those is important. You should level up all three but I'd say go for larger inventory first because you'll find lots of stuff.

Yeah, I am already running a tight ship with my loot storage. Should probably break down all those banana peels to scrap!

Zutrax

No I dont get anything like that, for me its smooth as it can be at 30fps, I literally feel no lag at all. You have to remember people blow shit way out of proportion on here, a small issue becomes "gamebreaking". Anyhow, thats my take on it, no issues for me the game is smooth and highly playable. I do notice the lack of pro patch even though im on a 1080p tv though.

You may not be sensitive to it personally, but the issue definitely exists and plenty of people are noticing. I outlined some specifics and provided examples in my post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235865971&postcount=1227

I understand the idea of not wanting people to be down on something you're having fun with, but stating a problem that does exist, doesn't, only makes things worse. I wish I was in the boat of not being able to notice it, but sadly I'm not and it's really hurting my experience.

Lucifon

Just played the first hour. I didn't touch the demo so I went in almost blind outside of 1 or 2 trailers.

Liking things so far, intriguing for sure. But how consistent is the LOUD SCARY THING HAPPENING music when I have no idea what I was meant to see? It's happened quite a few times now and every time I seem to have missed what the game thought I was meant to see to make me jump / crank the tension. I end up looking around because of the music and noticing nothing. If it wasn't for the loud music I wouldn't have an idea anything was meant to happen.

Top Bottom