• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

carlsojo

How scary is this compared to something like Dead Space 2?

Hmmm it's just a bit less scary. There's an overall sense of dread and paranoia whenever you enter a new area. And the monsters are pretty fucking creepy. I found an area that was totally dark except for my flashlight and I had to leave because I was so on edge.

nOoblet16

No I dont get anything like that, for me its smooth as it can be at 30fps, I literally feel no lag at all. You have to remember people blow shit way out of proportion on here, a small issue becomes "gamebreaking". Anyhow, thats my take on it, no issues for me the game is smooth and highly playable. I do notice the lack of pro patch even though im on a 1080p tv though.
If it's like how it was in the demo then it's definitely not blown out of proportions. Playing something like Destiny and then playing this immediately or vice versa will make you realise just how severe the input lag is in this game (again if it is similar to the demo, as that's my only experience).

Infact playing on PS4 and then playing the same on Xbox will make you notice the same.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Adnor

Banned
Lol you can move heavier objects pushing chairs into them, you can't move them a lot, but it can be enough to open some closed paths.

oktarb

The demo seemed squishy, underdeveloped and empty. Reading these posts makes me hope the demo was just bad?

Anno

This seems like a good series of Tweets to see:

austin_walker said:
Immersive sims are rad, but I hate being able to get stuck in areas I can't yet get out of.

@austin_walker
(would take suggestions here so that I don't have to load an old save)

@austin_walker
Oh wow, a follower suggested something that not only worked, it totally changed how I thought about a DIFFERENT item in my inventory.

iddqd

Arboretum spoilers

I've saved Poole, the guy saying "hey open this door". Apparently Arkane didnt plan for that because he has no subsequent line of dialog or anything, just stands there.
Kinda disappointing

He actually
turned evil in my game. Mind control stuff AFTER the door was opened.

He actually
turned evil in my game. Mind control stuff AFTER the door was opened.

He's mind controlled by the Telepath.
So it's a good idea to stay away or knock out any humans mind controlled by the Telepath

So I had my first introduction with
Nightmare on the Bridge. Managed to elude him, thankfully. Interested to see how it will go the next few times I encounter him.

Mifec

Anyone know where the Life Support Security keycard is, I can't find it, finished everything else in the area.
He's mind controlled by the Telepath.
So it's a good idea to stay away or knock out any humans mind controlled by the Telepath

So I had my first introduction with
Nightmare on the Bridge. Managed to elude him, thankfully. Interested to see how it will go the next few times I encounter him.

I saw
it in the arboretum
for a second and when I came back to the lobby
it was freaking standing in front of the lift with it's back turned. I killed it with combat focus and q beam

Perineum

Demo sucked butts, input lag tales told me hard pass, and yet I went and picked it up.

Will be getting into it tomorrow all day. I have this sinking feeling I am going to love it. Looks like a mix of Dead Space and Bioshock.

Hope that is what I get...

I played the demo and the input lag turned me off, after an hour I put down the controller. But damn, after watching this on Twitch for like 6 hours made me realize how good this is, stopped watching because I don't want to get spoiled. If the story delivers I can see it being an instant classic. Please Arkane, fix the input lag on PS4.

Ozium

I keep seeing people having issue with the computer screens, where you want to press z to zoom in and then use the mouse as a cursor.. Even knowing about this I would often forget for a second and up shooting the screen lol...

I strongly suggest you go to the options and under gameplay there is a subcategory for interactive screens..

it lets you set it to autozoom for various screens, auto-examine keypads is on by default, while everything else is turned off.. I added workstations and security stations, since those are the ones where I feel zoom is most effective (as in there are multiple things to select, etc.) The way it works is when you walk up to one and press f, it will automatically zoom in and you can use the mouse right away without having to worry about pressing an additional button..

it's pretty helpful

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The graphics remind me of the 360/PS3 gen for some reason. Granted I'm not bashing on it, the
helicopter in the glass looks like it has last gen graphics
. I like the style, but I got stuck.
i fell down to the helipad and had no idea how to get back upstairs.
so far it's good, but a little rough at times

I got stuck in an awful loop and nothing made sense. I wonder if QA ever got perma stuck somewhere?

Edit: ok, I got unstuck. This isn't so bad. I just wish they'd gone into more detail on that chopper. No reflection at all.

I think this game has my favorite crafting in any game since The Last of Us. Needing to manually interact with the in-game machines and how you just can recycle junk with ease turns boring crafting into something that feels logical and tangible here

owlbeak

Are audio levels weird for others (PS4 Pro)? Like effects and music are so loud, but voices are so damn quiet, even with music and effects turned way down. Anytime (not really a spoiler)
January
talks to me, I can barely hear it. I had to turn captions on. I have a 5.1 surround system and it's really annoying.

Anung

Un Rama
The Nerf Bowgun is such a resilient weapon. I just used it to open a security door by shooting darts at the computer screen through a hole in the glass.

Mifec

The Nerf Bowgun is such a resilient weapon. I just used it to open a security door by shooting darts at the computer screen through a hole in the glass.

That's basically the whole point of it, to shoot screens and override buttons.

The graphics remind me of the 360/PS3 gen for some reason. Granted I'm not bashing on it, the
. I like the style, but I got stuck.
i fell down to the helipad and had no idea how to get back upstairs.
so far it's good, but a little rough at times

I got stuck in an awful loop and nothing made sense. I wonder if QA ever got perma stuck somewhere?

I thought the
helicopter ride sequence at the beginning, looking out of window, the city reminded me of a last gen game.

I think this game has my favorite crafting in any game since The Last of Us. Needing to manually interact with the in-game machines and how you just can recycle junk with ease turns boring crafting into something feels logical and tangible here

Not to mention it's I Can''t Believe It's Not System Shock 3™.

15 or so hours in now and I've just been exploring, found some crazy encounters.

Hard mode is no joke but I still find myself doing okay because of super tight inventory and resource management. I've also fallen in love with crafting in this game, it's tangible and serves a purpose, they don't gimp it either since you can basically get enough material to spam build neuromods, ammo, etc but the game keeps you on your toes, resources are limited but you can always recycle junk into something more useful and to get past hurdles.

l5rZKFn.jpg

Also inventory management is an important thing here for maximizing recyclables, ammo, health packs, suit condition, etc.

Are audio levels weird for others (PS4 Pro)? Like effects and music are so loud, but voices are so damn quiet, even with music and effects turned way down. Anytime (not really a spoiler)
January
talks to me, I can barely hear it. I had to turn captions on. I have a 5.1 surround system and it's really annoying.

Yep, have the same issue. It's a bit of a bummer.

dlauv

Yeah, it has that kind of Source Engine look like Dishonored did, but the colors are a little more saturated and cartoon-y. The real meat comes in the interactivity and how many simultaneous effects can occur on screen at once.

Top Bottom