• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

drotahorror

Yeah the game can be a bit frustrating sometimes, like it's okay when ammo is sparse but when you have no ammo and then in the middle of a huge fight with phantoms and what not you're pretty much fucked.

Can you maybe find a way back to your office? that fabricator always works.

I finally found one, had to reload a save though. I've wanted to go back to my office forever but I'm in the area where you're trying to get an elevator to work that will take you back to talos 1 lobby.

Karak

How long is this? Like dishonored games 15-25?

Thats a good general number though folks had already beaten it yesterday who didn't have retail sources or review code but just used VPN's. So there will also be some fast players. But normal. ya 14+

Aangster

For those interested, it's been confirmed by Yu's female VA that our protagonist is part Asian (Chinese?) and part German. You can also pick up the
family portrait in Yu's apartment or office.

drotahorror

Spoilers for early-mid game regarding a cafeteria.

This fat guy lets you into a freezer and traps you in there. If I didn't have a recycler grenade or leverage 2, how would you get out?

The diegetic ammo counters are so good. It's not the first game to do them of course, but certainly some of the coolest I've seen. The shotgun's display need a second to load and then sliding in onto the side screen is so stylish

Edit: oh, and the preorder shotgun looks so good. I don't usually care for preorder skins and whatnot, but I'm glad I got it

Lijik

I love how Prey installs the game into the Prey folder.

Yes, kids, there are two different games with the same name installed in the same Steam directory.

How did no one catch this before release?

Guess im lucky i defaulted steam downloads to a new drive a few months ago so the two are seperate on my machine, thats beyond goofy

Well, the story certainly took an interesting turn (early game,
Psychotronics
)

Two AIs both saying they're trying to help Morgan? Either one's a trap, December is another survivor, or more interestingly, Morgan designed different failsafes without realizing due to the memory erasure and you essentially have "multiple" Morgans with their own agendas

Spoilers for this questline
January comes in and kills December before the quest can continue as planned which has me curious about what happens if you killed January before that? Would December take over as your primary AI? Does something else stop December from meeting up with you in the Foyer? I weighed reloading an earlier save and finding out but decided to save it for a second play through

Waxy

I'm about to start and can't decide between Normal or Hard. How challenging is the game as a whole? I've played alot of shooters, but I'm not sure how challenging the game is cause its not a pure shooter

I'm about to start and can't decide between Normal or Hard. How challenging is the game as a whole? I've played alot of shooters, but I'm not sure how challenging the game is cause its not a pure shooter

Games like this I generally play on hard, however I found this more punishing than most at the beginning, but it does ease up as you progress. Also you can change the difficulty on the fly so if you start on normal and find yourself breezing through it you can just set it to hard in the pause menu.

ISee

It's more challenging on normal than most shooters. That said this isn't a shooter in the first place. Even on normal some enemies can two hit you and take a a surprisingly amount of resources to take down. Run & Gun is already rather hard on normal, it will be impossible on hard+

EDIT:
There is so much to explore. It's amazing.

Bad7667

Ok. Wow. I love this game. The little things Arkane always thinks about, for example when you are in
zero g
and not moving, shoot a gun and you will start drifting back from the recoil of the gun. Or how the gloo gun stops the fans from moving.

Also, the very first safe in the game, the way I learned the code, was so cool. It's just the little things they do to reward players who pay attention to details and their environment.

I put the spoiler there because some people are crazy about that stuff but it's not anything that wasn't in the trailers.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Guys what are the Pro enhancements? Is there HDR? I want to know because I can play this right now or wait for my new TV.

Mindman

So I got the Combat Focus mod. How do I actually USE it? It's assigned to a dpad button but selecting it does nothing...

I had middling expectations but 2 or so hours in and it seems like a well made game, clunky controls aside. The Gloo gun is super neat but hitting stuff with the wrench feels terrible. Those Mimics are super fast and have a tendency to skitter off when hurt.

Music and sound design seem strong but also not synced up very well? Like it seems almost randomly placed at times. A big noise will go off and I will have no idea what I was supposed to be reacting to.

Same. Hard seems manageable but satisfyingly challenging so far. Current 8 hours in

I'll say hard mode has made me consider my upgrade choices more specifically. I like that it's making me make some hard choice based on how I've chosen to play in regards to my character upgrades as there are some that seem so bad ass but I know I need certain upgrades more at the moment.

Hard is a great and fair starting off point if anyone was wondering. You won't feel like a badass(initially), but you will feel like you are surviving on a space station with aliens out to kill your ass. Eustress at it's finest.

Karak

I'll say hard mode has made me consider my upgrade choices more specifically. I like that it's making me make some hard choice based on how I've chosen to play in regards to my character upgrades as there are some that seem so bad ass but I know I need certain upgrades more at the moment.

Hard is a great and fair starting off point if anyone was wondering. You won't feel like a badass(initially), but you will feel like you are surviving on a space station with aliens out to kill your ass. Eustress at it's finest.

I also liked hard but about 10-13 hours deep, depending on playstyle there is a diff bump that can get WICKED hard. So be weary. Just a bump. But noticable

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I love how Prey installs the game into the Prey folder.

Yes, kids, there are two different games with the same name installed in the same Steam directory.

How did no one catch this before release?

Fortunately, having the two games installed alongside one another doesn't break anything as while they both use Prey.exe, the files are in different locations and there's otherwise no common filenames, and no common folder structure whatsoever. Given Bethesda's predilection for pretending that Prey 2006 doesn't exist, I don't have much faith that it will rectify the situation.

GlamFM

Banned
Ok, so I've been fighting crawling enemies with a wrench for one hour now. Horrible. Got a foam gun, but that does not help at all. The controls feel weirdly stiff and there is no ADS. Considering a refund.

Kas

Man am I tempted to get this game for the PS4. I loved the demo, and the gloo gun is honestly one of the best things I've used in a while in a game.

I just cant. I got things to save up for.

I have a really annoying bug that keeps telling me I have an audiolog to listen to. Spoilers for sidequest "Mixed Signals":
After completing it, every time I pick up a transcriber, it will notify me with the "Press L to listen" prompt as normal, BUT if I press it'll automatically default to the satellite thing that will summon the Nightmare. I've accidentally done it while picking up a transcriber elsewhere and immediately died because I wasn't expecting to summon the thing lol

Karak

Ok, so I've been fighting crawling enemies with a wrench for one hour now. Horrible. Got a foam gun, but that does not help at all. The controls feel weirdly stiff and there is no ADS. Considering a refund.

Wait...how does the foam gun not help? Or do you mean freezing them in place isn't help of some sort?

Saiyan-Rox

Feeling the same way but I got a shotgun but I'm still not feeling the game its just not great for me but I'm gonna keep trying a few more times before I call quits.

Pat_DC

Feeling the same way but I got a shotgun but I'm still not feeling the game its just not great for me but I'm gonna keep trying a few more times before I call quits.

Just curious, are you guys who are having issues (glam included) on console?

Was trying to decide wether to jump in on PC or PS4. Though PC will probably win out.

drotahorror

Will I ever find the Cook again? I did his quest chain but now I want to kill him.
Have to kill him for a quest he's no where to be found afaik

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What section was the demo to make the impressions so bad? If it was the opening I really do not understand....

Oh my lord

Karak

They only stay frozen for like 15 seconds and you still have to finish them off with a wrench.

Correct. Thats double the time you should need even with a normal strength wrench. Or are you on a harder diff?

Some pointers I learned.

Gluegun can be used to make steps by shooting it at walls, blocks doors, blocks windows, can be used to make a cage for creatures as well. Can be used to stick enemies into damage areas like lighting or fire and lastly can be used to get turrets into crazy places using a combination of throwing and glue gun shots sometimes

Crouching/sneaking is 100% needed in the first couple hours as I said in my review. And i did feel like this was going to come up as it can be a bit troublesome at first but even mimics wont hear you if your careful.

Crouching and tossing ANYTHING right passed the mimic will allow you to usually sneak up on them and get 1 free attack.

Don't enter a room and walk in. Enter and find a place and watch Mimics will randomly shake if they are an item usually.

Mouse and keyboard may help but if your on PC you can also adjust the FOV and since mimics like right and left leaps that can help greatly.

Last important tip. Feints work thats why the wrench as flash of "press button to cancel" as your attacking. You can feint and attack and then have MUCH more manouver time and planning as they react

Debating whether I want to know or not, but how many typhon abilities can you get before turrets start attacking you?
I don't want to spoiler anything but I don't remember getting a "OH SHIT" warning. it was a "OH SHIT" I just died. but I could have missed it

Huh, I made it into Psychotronics kind of unintentionally and it overwrote my objective. I loaded a save right before going in there. Will go back to it later. Cool though, I am having a great time finding all the ways into rooms and areas.

I am so, so happy with this game. It's something I've been needing for years. More Shock games, the better.

Edit:
also killed JANUARY for fun. Reloaded a save though. Curious what him/it not being around would be like for a second playthrough.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Are audio levels weird for others (PS4 Pro)? Like effects and music are so loud, but voices are so damn quiet, even with music and effects turned way down. Anytime (not really a spoiler)
January
talks to me, I can barely hear it. I had to turn captions on. I have a 5.1 surround system and it's really annoying.

Same problem here. Having 2.0 system and never experienced this before

Wanderer5

Oh my god this game. Just played for like 45 mins, leaving off in the main lobby, and damn just loving the atmosphere and aesthetic already.

Kind of funny, I am ended up getting a keycard to the
trauma center, and decided to explore it, only to see that some more powerful enemies are there to kick my butt.XD

Noks415

One of those lil bastards pretended to be an item fresh off the fabricator, fucking scared the shit out of me.

Quick question, is it possible to obtain enough neuromods to max out all skills?

dex3108

One of those lil bastards pretended to be an item fresh off the fabricator, fucking scared the shit out of me.

Quick question, is it possible to obtain enough neuromods to max out all skills?

I think that devs said that it is not possible but i am not 100% sure.

Karak

Same problem here. Having 2.0 system and never experienced this before
Did you try switching your ps4 audio from or to PCM and the other options?
I had to do that and then also had to adjust the sound a number of times to dial it in. It was never...perfect but it worked

Top Bottom