• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

mishakoz

Just enter
the GUTS
for the first time, currently around 9 hours in. I'm assuming I'm still pretty early in the game, right?

Lot to go, at least.

So, im out of ammo. I legit dont know what to do. My inventory is full, none of it are "junk" but I havent got any inventory expansion. dont have materials for bullets, and theres a powerful enemy in my way.

peakish

Is there any way to adjust audio settings? I'm playing with headphones but the positional audio isn't great. Can't find a headphone setting in options.

Game is cool so far (as I expected) but I'm weaksauce and these mimics have me on edge. Just going around whacking everything in sight, lul. Good thing there's an audio cue for when they're hiding.

One of those lil bastards pretended to be an item fresh off the fabricator, fucking scared the shit out of me.

Quick question, is it possible to obtain enough neuromods to max out all skills?

I believe so.
It's possible to fabricate Neuromods so unless there's a hard limit on how many skills you can unlock, I don't see why not.

Edit:
I didn't think it needed to be mentioned but be sure to READ the research data that you're unlocking, people. I was watching the top Prey stream and dude was basically beating his head against a certain enemy type because he wasn't reading the research tips on how to defeat it.

Man I love this game . Exploration is so awesome , I've found rooms I don't think in levelled up enough for yet , but I love finding little vents and shafts etc .

Mimics still get me every time , one of them disguised itself as a chair at a security station and scared the shit out of me

drotahorror

So I unlocked the elevator back to the Talos lobby so I can go back to my office.

At the bottom of the elevator there's a Weaver, 2 Telepaths, a regular Phantom and a Nightmare.

Like seriously? There's an animation you get stuck in as you go out the door and the enemies just blow me up before the animation is even finished. How's this even fair? Not tomention fighting all that shit at the same time is suicide for me, and even if I could GG to my ammo.

I'm playing on Hard, I dunno if things would have been much different on normal but this is a bit much.

ISee

I'm maybe 3.5 hours in. At first I saved some weapon kits for later, better weapons but I upgraded to Gloogun 'stun' to give it a try. This really helps, should've done it more early.

Even though I knew what I was getting into after playing the demo, I am still surprised by how well this game delivers its vision. I love the Dishonored games, but the atmosphere here is on another level.

It's awesome to see Dishonored 2's (spoilers for Prey and Dishonored 2)
crack in the slab tech come into play here in Dr. Galvani's looking glass lab.

Even though I knew what I was getting into after playing the demo, I am still surprised by how well this game delivers its vision. I love the Dishonored games, but the atmosphere here is on another level.

It's awesome to see Dishonored 2's (spoilers for Prey and Dishonored 2)
crack in the slab tech come into play here in Dr. Galvani's looking glass lab.
That
lab was great. Loved that little thing that I bet some people wouldn't even see: watching the recordings to the end and seeing the secret compartment and how to open it, and then realizing what the fabrication email request was for.

That
lab was great. Loved that little thing that I bet some people wouldn't even see: watching the recordings to the end and seeing the secret compartment and how to open it, and then realizing what the fabrication email request was for.

Yup. It's the little things that really make you feel rewarded. I like that the emails act as a
Chekhov's gun of sorts, and ruminating over what role everything will play is really half the fun for me in immersive sims.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Did you try switching your ps4 audio from or to PCM and the other options?
I had to do that and then also had to adjust the sound a number of times to dial it in. It was never...perfect but it worked

Yes i did. Last night i plugged in the optical cable because there are more options available in the OS menu but i didnt checked it after that. Will give an update after i checked. Thanx for your help btw :)
PCM is the way to go for 2.0 right?

Truant

Just chiming in to say this game is great.

Regarding a certain you-know-what enemy:
Did anyone encounter the nightmare in the lobby? He just kinda stood there with this back turned to me. It looked very strange, and I think it might have been a glitch.

Kadin

Where are you guys storing excess stuff you pick up, or are you recycling on a pretty regular basis? I'm using the safe in the office but I'm starting to think I just need to recycle more.

Ozium

They only stay frozen for like 15 seconds and you still have to finish them off with a wrench.

if you gloo them up then walk up to them you can charge the wrench and hit them in their frozen form, charging the wrench pretty much one shots them most of the time, sometimes they have a sliver of health left but you can just swipe again quickly to finish them off

I do this all the time and I am playing on hard, and haven't upgraded the wrench at all

nOoblet16

Each wing is so big that I often don't remember where I am, you can access psychotronics from the main lobby but it goes so deep, has so many different sub sections and is interconnected in such a way that it's difficult to tell where psychotronics ends and where something else begins.

munroe

Did they patch the gloo gun glitch? I was having fun with that in the demo just to mess around and see where I could get to

Panda Rin

For those far into it...scarier or about the same as the first Bioshock? I don't do well with horror games, but games like Bioshock and Dead Space are okay.

Shari

For those far into it...scarier or about the same as the first Bioshock? I don't do well with horror games, but games like Bioshock and Dead Space are okay.

Like Bioshock with loud jumpscares. Nothing to do with Dead Space.

Edit: 6h in, not what you would cal far for a 15h game.

That
I
found the email first and knew exactly what I had to do. Grabbed a mug and dropped it on the thing first. When I finally got around to watching the video the mug stuck around lol. Have no idea where to actually get the proper mug though.

Stoze

Where are you guys storing excess stuff you pick up, or are you recycling on a pretty regular basis? I'm using the safe in the office but I'm starting to think I just need to recycle more.
I keep some spare parts and suit repair things there because I have so many. But yeah, recycle all junk and extra weapons (or dismantle if you need parts). Get a suit upgrade or two to increase your inventory and suit chip space to help. The entire Engineering tree is very good, especially if you loot everything.

If you get full and there's not a recycler near you, just drop all your junk and use a recycle charge on it, it gives the same amount. Charges are rare at the start but you bank up on them pretty fast.

Stoze

It's less creepy but more stressful/tense than Bioshock, and you'll definitely be fine if you've played Dead Space.

Mimics will make you jumpy at first(more just the music effect than the actual Mimic), but you get used to them. Every once in a while one still gets me good though.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I simply put down the music volume and kept the other effects- and speech volumes at 100% and now the balance is much better. Still far from perfect but very doable.

What i dont understand is why would they go with Cryengine if the engine they used for Dishonored was pretty solid?? At consoles at least it was. Cant remember Dishonored 2 had this much input lag as this game (still very playable tho). And Graphics wise it was much more appealing to look at without all these jaggies.

This game is something else. I am still at the beginning but i love the style.
It really feels like Bioshock and the sense of tension is pretty good already.
Happy that i bought it. Was kinda scary by all these input lag posts but i am happy i can look/feel through them and enjoy the game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's less creepy but more stressful/tense than Bioshock, and you'll definitely be fine if you've played Dead Space.

Mimics will make you jumpy at first(more just the music effect than the actual Mimic), but you get used to them. Every once in a while one still gets me good though.

Yep, they did such a fantastic job with the typhons (aliens).

Arkane deserves high praise for creating one of the best enemies in videogames imo.

This game will keep you on the edge of your seat all the time. Thanks to those terrifying creatures.

gallery-1472034280-giphy-14.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What i dont understand is why would they go with Cryengine if the engine they used for Dishonored was pretty solid?? At consoles at least it was. Cant remember Dishonored 2 had this much input lag as this game (still very playable tho). And Graphics wise it was much more appealing to look at without all these jaggies.

My theory is that Arkane Austin was prototyping the game in CryEngine and by the time Bethesda signed off on the project, it made more sense to continue development with CE than force a move over to id Tech.

Rien

Jelly Belly
My theory is that Arkane Austin was prototyping the game in CryEngine and by the time Bethesda signed off on the project, it made more sense to continue development with CE than force a move over to id Tech.

That makes sense.. i think your right! Thanx

Skrams

I've put 5~ hours into it and only now completely cleaned out the Lobby as much as I can without some later Hacking/Leverage/whatever abilities. I started on Hard too since I felt like having a tougher time. My Bioshock itch of exploring every nook and cranny is being scratched like crazy. The addition of computers, emails, and all this shit too is great. I love a good computer interface in a game. I also went back to the first area just to check around to see if I could do anything new after getting some abilities. I'm now climbing in places I really didn't think we're meant to be reachable. It's fucking great.

Mimics have gotten me good a few times. I kind of wish the FOV was scooched back a bit just because I'm flailing like an idiot when a mimic is jumping all around me.

Some other people have mentioned, but there is some input lag on PS4. I can push the stick in a direction and the character will take .2 seconds to start moving forward. It's a bit weird.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Where to find the password to
safe in the room in the beginning with the sort of dentist chair next to it

Stupid question but curious for playing the game with my Steam Link:

Does the controller support in the game include aim assist? Or am I at a disadvantage versus playing it on PS4?

Sky87

I assume you can go back to previous areas even after completing the game? There aren't any point-of-no-returns?

Seems pretty open and metroidvania-esque to me, so that would be weird.

pa22word

So anyone been unfortunate enough to be the test dummy on a useless weapon/skill tree yet?

I mean I don't want to know the full ins and outs of the system or anything, just don't wanna sink resources into (eg) the shotty if it's only shooting birdshot even at max level. No one wants to be that guy who put max points into swimming, after all :p

pa22word

Oh and hey, does anyone else find it rather odd that they kept the humorous, overly optimistic year date thing of 80s scifi stuff but ditched all other aesthetic ques for that in favor of the art deco stuff?

It just feels oddly out of place given the otherwise modern presentation.

Aangster

For the
Nightmare
that pops up later on, is it
only meant to appear if you've neuromodded alien abilities? I've only gone down human abilities so far and it shows (with January warning that it was due to alien abilities installed), not a bug?

aravuus

12 hours in and I don't think I've done a single side quest lol. The level design is so complex I find myself just kind of wandering around most of the time.

Oh and hey, does anyone else find it rather odd that they kept the humorous, overly optimistic year date thing of 80s scifi stuff but ditched all other aesthetic ques for that in favor of the art deco stuff?

It just feels oddly out of place given the otherwise modern presentation.

I love art deco so I'm enjoying this style a lot.

How are people beating this in 15 hours I just finally got into the
GUTS
and did a bunch of exploring. I found that dalton guy for the black project sidequest, for people curious, he's in a tricky spot in a section in the
GUTS
. I must have flown right by him a few times...

I'm gonna go pass out now because this is the second night I've spent more or less playing all day and all night.
22ish hours according to steam and my in-game counter.

I feel like I've barely even scratched a 1/4 of the game.

EvB

I'm the same, I don't really like Horror games,but I enjoyed both of the games you described. I couldn't handle Alien Isolation
Prey is great so far. Why don't you play the demo?

Elog

This game is really something. I love every minute of it so far and the mystery continues to deepen. For me this is shaping up to be on par with my SS2 experience which is one of my strongest gaming experiences.

I highly appreciate the fact that the entire structure actually is mapped out in detail and makes sense. Creates huge levels and everything is accessible if you use your head, equipment and abilities. Love it!

pa22word

I love art deco so I'm enjoying this style a lot.

Oh I love it too, I just think it's weird they kept the date of the game set in the humorously far flung future of 2032. I get that it's a nod to games like System Shock that did the same thing, but without also aping the what's now called Retro Future style it just feels odd.

nOoblet16

You know when you want to morph into a cup so as to get through the little opening under the glass anytime you want to go inside a locked security room?

It's meant to be done that way yet it's quite hit or miss in terms of controls/movements because the moment you morph you just lose all movement controls and the only thing you get is a little bit of forward momentum if you hold UP before morphing, this momentum is so small that often you just fall flat on the ground rather than landing on the desk.

For something that was specifically out in place there as design it's not very intuitive.

Extremely early game question:

I'm looking for a way into the hardware labs and the only obvious spot to check is the Trauma center. There's a typhon with ??? as its name and it seems to have funky fire powers. I only have the gloo gun and wrench. I know I had a shotgun early on in the demo, but there wasn't one I ever encountered in this game, I haven't got a pistol either. Basically I'm wondering if I've missed obvious weapons earlier, and whether or not I should bother fighting this asshole who keeps killing me in seconds. I can hit him with gloo and run away without getting hit, but I need to attack with wrench to do damage and it's GG. I tried chucking an explosive canister but I have pathetic strength and don't have a way to ignite unless I can like lure it into attacking it.

Top Bottom