• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Question about a Side Mission...

Going by lists there's supposed to be one called Do No Harm that involves you going to the Trauma Center and doing another behavioral test. I went to that office and started the test but never got that mission to actually show in my log. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get it to actually show up as a mission?

Instro

So question concerning the very first safe in the game: I know how to open it, though I'm embarrassed to admit that after coming back for it, I can't seem to find a way back out. The exits from before are blocked. Am I missing something obvious here?

There's computer terminals in the area that allow you to shift some things around. Worst comes to worst use the Gloo gun to get the second floor again.

So it's worse than the demo? Same as PS4? Digital Foundry said the demo played properly on Xbox.

According to the video, it's the same as Dishonored 2 roughly. Not sure about compared to the demo. He also mentioned PS4 had a slightly bigger issue in certain situations but the two platforms were mostly comparable.

Edit: It should be noted that the large context for the video is input latency. One thing he noted is that input latency is largely higher on XB1 vs. PS4 in most games by a small/big amount. And that might have something to do with Prey/Dishonored 2 here.

Question about a Side Mission...

Going by lists there's supposed to be one called Do No Harm that involves you going to the Trauma Center and doing another behavioral test. I went to that office and started the test but never got that mission to actually show in my log. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get it to actually show up as a mission?

You need to get a Transcribe from Hendrick DeVries's corpse just outside the Main Lift in the Arboretum to unlock the quest

This game is so good. Even though I got a coverage code. Went out and bought it for my collection, they deserve all the sales and support they can get.

Erekiddo

I bought this on a whim, going in completely blind.

Stopped playing on my 970 rig and moved over to my 1080FTW after I saw the opening 10 minutes. This... seems pretty amazing.

Instro

This game is awesome. I'm still pretty early, in the hardware labs at the moment, but there is really a lot of rewarding complex exploration so far.
I wandered around the lobby area for quite a while, which ended up leading me back over to the nueromod division and the volunteer area which had an access tunnel(great use of the Gloo gun in there) to the area next door wherein a giant flying alien robot kicked my ass. Also I was also super impressed that I was able to use the security locker in the hardware labs to climb up to the 2nd floor of the area.
There's a great theme so far of the game giving me a variety of ways to access areas outside of the more obvious route. It's all very Metroid like with it's interconnections, little tricks to get around obstacles, and even sequence break style stuff.

omg as soon as the opening credits stopped I tried to jump on the chopper.

Haha I did this shit too. Funny, although I had to replay the helicopter ride again because of that.

Zero gravity is fucking awesome and while roaming around I see this
derelict shuttle with people inside and I can go in as well.

I love this kind of stuff and I can imagine similar things if that Starfield game by Bethesda Game Studios is real and is a space RPG.

Went back to Nuromods after exploring as much of the lobby as I could, found my way into Fabrication. What is that floating thing on the ground level? Should I not be fucking with this thing so early in the game? It's killed me 4 times now.

Went back to Nuromods after exploring as much of the lobby as I could, found my way into Fabrication. What is that floating thing on the ground level? Should I not be fucking with this thing so early in the game? It's killed me 4 times now.

You met the
Technopath

Best not to fight it until you got enough Alien abilities or tools to fight it properly

pa22word

For people who have beaten it or have played a ton of it one thing that I've been curious about since they announced it and the system shock comparisons started is this: how structurely accurate is the design of the space station? One of the best things about og system shock is if you look at the map, they designed a fucking space station and made a game that took place in it, not the other way around. Every room and area has a purpose in context of the overall system, nothing is wasted space. Unlike later games in the series and the genre all together I don't think any other game recreated that frankly amazing sense of scale and thought into the architecture that the real deal, purely looking glass games did. I thought Dishonored was the closest in trying to recreate thief style level design, and arx fatalis too for its UU cave system style of design, which is why I had great hopes from Arkane to really understand how amazing that aspect of og system shock was and try their best to recreate it here.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I've not got very far, only as far as
the office
but I have reloaded my save and the shotgun has gone from my inventory. It's not where I originally got it from, and the upgrade kits I had used on it are back in my inventory.

dimmer

I hated the demo(ps4), I didn't even finish it even though i reached nearly at the end. How could this thing turn into an awesome game everyone is raving about?? I am so confused..

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I hated the demo(ps4), I didn't even finish it even though i reached nearly at the end. How could this thing turn into an awesome game everyone is raving about?? I am so confused..

I guess it would depend why you hated it?

How do you get into Fabrication?

For people who have beaten it or have played a ton of it one thing that I've been curious about since they announced it and the system shock comparisons started is this: how structurely accurate is the design of the space station? One of the best things about og system shock is if you look at the map, they designed a fucking space station and made a game that took place in it, not the other way around. Every room and area has a purpose in context of the overall system, nothing is wasted space. Unlike later games in the series and the genre all together I don't think any other game recreated that frankly amazing sense of scale and thought into the architecture that the real deal, purely looking glass games did. I thought Dishonored was the closest in trying to recreate thief style level design, and arx fatalis too for its UU cave system style of design, which is why I had great hopes from Arkane to really understand how amazing that aspect of og system shock was and try their best to recreate it here.

It's very accurate. That's one of the biggest strengths. It feels like a real place just like Rapture and the previous shock games.

I can't repeat it enough: Keep in mind that Arkane worked on Bioshock 2 (level design). They know how to create an amazing world. Bioshock 2 was linear though...this game is not.

ktroopa

Can someone explain how to use the GLOO gun to build platforms. I seen video of some NPC running from a Typhon but cant figure how to connect the blobs. They dont join just bounce off. Is an upgrade needed?

d00d3n

It's very accurate. That's one of the biggest strengths. It feels like a real place just like Rapture and the previous shock games.

Second floor of the neuromod division (goo climb, hack or repair your way there). Access with hacking 4 or with some goo climbing in the volunteer division

phant0m

This game is incredible. In the same tier as Half-Life, Deus Ex, and Sys/BioShock.

I just got to the
prisoner in Psychotronics. Do we save him or take those sweet,
sweet exotic mats?

Just kidding, I freed him, got the door code, then reloaded my save and let the mimics eat him. XD

Stoze

Debating if I should get alien powers or not. I feel like I can get all the utility I need from human powers, but I also feel like I might be missing out without Alien ones because they're cool. It seems like
it would affect the story in a way I wouldn't like
, but I'm not sure.

*Flashbacks to internal struggle about going high or low chaos in Dishonored*

dimmer

I guess it would depend why you hated it?
I don't know, it just felt monotonous and empty, plus the controls in combat were way off and floaty. It didn't look like the game that had the required quality to be eventualy described as a spiritual sequel to system shock! Maybe it needed more time to be sucked into the story and setting?

Can someone explain how to use the GLOO gun to build platforms. I seen video of some NPC running from a Typhon but cant figure how to connect the blobs. They dont join just bounce off. Is an upgrade needed?

They don't attach to each other, they attach to walls. you can shoot at a wall to build a bridge or ramp on it

Keep in mind that Fabrication lab has a powerful enemy inside there. so if you are going there early in the game, you gonna have a very tough time.

pa22word

Rapture didn't really work in the same way due to the way they used bathespheres to get around memory limitations in the 360. The station in system shock 1 in comparison is an entire living and breathing ecosystem that you're simply trapped in. You can go to every corner, every nook and cranny of the station and track your steps from the moment you woke up. Not even ss2 recreated the same sense of scale that ss1 did, both maps in ss2 taking place in smaller ships that significantly tightened the level design at the expense of the simulation aspect of the original looking glass title.

If you've played dark souls, it's like that. Bunnyhop when he reviewed classic system shock said that the game that reminded him most of system shock was probably dark souls and not bioshock for that reason, which makes sense as both system shock and Dark Souls have roots in traditional dungeon crawlers that experimented in action gameplay (ultima underworld and kings field, respectively).

For people who have beaten it or have played a ton of it one thing that I've been curious about since they announced it and the system shock comparisons started is this: how structurely accurate is the design of the space station? One of the best things about og system shock is if you look at the map, they designed a fucking space station and made a game that took place in it, not the other way around.
That's one of the best things about the game. It feels lived in and designed like a real place, part of what it makes so fun to explore

Truant

They actually modelled the entire station. Like, you can go outside the airlock and fly around in space from one end to the other. It's huge.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I don't know, it just felt monotonous and empty, plus the controls in combat were way off and floaty. It didn't look like the game that had the required quality to be eventualy described as a spiritual sequel to system shock! Maybe it needed more time to be sucked into the story and setting?

It definitely takes time to get going but the controls are heavy due to how the combat is designed.

Once you start getting mods it starts picking up.

Top Bottom