• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

This is how I got in (and promptly out again!)

I'm blind, I can't find the entrance, lol.

Rapture didn't really work in the same way due to the way they used bathespheres to get around memory limitations in the 360. The station in system shock 1 in comparison is an entire living and breathing ecosystem that you're simply trapped in. You can go to every corner, every nook and cranny of the station and track your steps from the moment you woke up. Not even ss2 recreated the same sense of scale that ss1 did, both maps in ss2 taking place in smaller ships that significantly tightened the level design at the expense of the simulation aspect of the original looking glass title.

If you've played dark souls, it's like that. Bunnyhop when he reviewed classic system shock said that the game that reminded him most of system shock was probably dark souls and not bioshock for that reason, which makes sense as both system shock and Dark Souls have roots in traditional dungeon crawlers that experimented in action gameplay (ultima underworld and kings field, respectively).

Ah, I see what you mean. It's more like System Shock then. You will like it ;)

etta

my hard graphic balls
According to the video, it's the same as Dishonored 2 roughly. Not sure about compared to the demo. He also mentioned PS4 had a slightly bigger issue in certain situations but the two platforms were mostly comparable.

Edit: It should be noted that the large context for the video is input latency. One thing he noted is that input latency is largely higher on XB1 vs. PS4 in most games by a small/big amount. And that might have something to do with Prey/Dishonored 2 here.
Then I want to have what he's having, because the game feels the same as the demo on Xbox, and the PS4 demo had Dishonored 2 levels of high input lag.
I can't comment about the release candidate on PS4, but the Xbox version has about the right amount of input lag inherent to 30fps and Vsync.

Stoze

They actually modelled the entire station. Like, you can go outside the airlock and fly around in space from one end to the other. It's huge.

Yep. I don't know if I could ask much more from this game in terms of context, environmental design, and consistency. Nearly every dead NPC, area, or key item I come across I have a connection to via reading emails and audio logs, and items and objects make realistic sense in where they are placed. The clean, neo-deco art style helps make the environment very readable, along with the exceptional level design that makes things interesting and complex without feeling like you need to take out the map every few minutes.

Even with now having a silenced pistol, GLOO gun, boltcaster, and shotgun, mimics still catch me unaware and give me quite the jolt which results in losing half my health (on Nightmare difficulty)!

Every single room I'm hitting any object that has multiples. I'm officially losing it.

tumblr_nt07i3oxes1r45g3go1_400.gif

Quick question I just found the psychotronic satellite transistor, what do I do with it. Also, when do we get more inventory space?

pa22word

They actually modelled the entire station. Like, you can go outside the airlock and fly around in space from one end to the other. It's huge.

Yep. I don't know if I could ask much more from this game in terms of context, environmental design, and consistency. Nearly every dead NPC, area, or key item I come across I have a connection to via reading emails and audio logs, and items and objects make realistic sense in where they are placed. The clean, neo-deco art style helps make the environment very readable, along with the exceptional level design that makes things interesting and complex without feeling like you need to take out the map every few minutes.

crying.gif

I knew if anyone could actually nail what System Shock was in the AAA space in 2017 it was going to be Arkane. So hyped to keep playing this now! Thanks guys for assuaging my fears on this!

Quick question I just found the psychotronic satellite transistor, what do I do with it. Also, when do we get more inventory space?
You need to invest to Suit Modification ability to get more inventory space (also gives more space for suit chipsets).

The Psychotronic Satellite helps you get rid of the Typhon Nightmare

Went back to Nuromods after exploring as much of the lobby as I could, found my way into Fabrication. What is that floating thing on the ground level? Should I not be fucking with this thing so early in the game? It's killed me 4 times now.

I found it after I got the gloo gun. Just use the taser that's around the area and you can stun lock it too death. Opening up Fabrication so early, has made me so op now since i can make the neuro stuff.

You need to invest to Suit Modification ability to get more inventory space (also gives more space for suit chipsets).

The Psychotronic Satellite helps you get rid of the Typhon Nightmare

Thanks!
I guess I'll hold on to it. I'm still only on the second mission, so I might be to early for it.

Even with now having a silenced pistol, GLOO gun, boltcaster, and shotgun, mimics still catch me unaware and give me quite the jolt which results in losing half my health (on Nightmare difficulty)!

Every single room I'm hitting any object that has multiples. I'm officially losing it.

tumblr_nt07i3oxes1r45g3go1_400.gif

Getting the
psychoscope
helps sooooo much with that.

You have to spend some neuromods on inventory space.

shiba5

You need to get a Transcribe from Hendrick DeVries's corpse just outside the Main Lift in the Arboretum to unlock the quest

Actually, you don't if you answer the test questions the "right way". I stumbled upon it by accident and found the transcribe later. The test then completes once you actually find the transcribe.

Truant

Regarding the Nightmare.

Is he just supposed to be standing in front of the elevator? I'm a bit disappointed, as I thought he would be chasing me throughout the station. Looks kinda weird when he's just standing there with his back turned to you.

Turn left when you enter the volunteer area, go through the maintenance shaft on the wall. Once you're in the back room area gloo gun your way up the wall to the raised area and just head straight

I'm so stupid , lol. Thank you. I missed the maintenance shaft -_-

edit: Damn, I must have missed a keycard :(

edit2: oh, no problem

crying.gif

I knew if anyone could actually nail what System Shock was in the AAA space in 2017 it was going to be Arkane. So hyped to keep playing this now! Thanks guys for assuaging my fears on this!
There are loading screens between major areas but besides that, the station has that Souls-esque connectivity between rooms and different levels where everything is linked together in logical ways and paths will loop back around and shortcuts will lead you to familiar areas. I can't recall any area in 11 hours I've played so far that felt "game-y", as in placed there simply for gameplay reasons even if it wouldn't make sense.

Then I want to have what he's having, because the game feels the same as the demo on Xbox, and the PS4 demo had Dishonored 2 levels of high input lag.
I can't comment about the release candidate on PS4, but the Xbox version has about the right amount of input lag inherent to 30fps and Vsync.

Eh, his video and he did the tests. So I'm inclined to believe him on the matter until we get some more tests done (maybe by DF?).

AHA-Lambda

Not sure if intended or not (after all the game is system shock-esque, and tense survivalism is the aim) but I'm finding myself feeling kind of underequipped at this point in the game I think.

Just got
Morgan's arming key
after about 8 hours or so, and with doing what side quests I can along the way.
Still haven't found much that's more useful than the shotgun, pistol or wrench; and I'm finding myself hiding from enemies alot more.

It's a hard game, and I'm totally on board for that, but I still can't help shake the feeling that I'm just underpowered and have missed something I should have or not been upgrading properly =/

Love this little bit of systemic design (enemy related)
http://i.imgur.com/7GqY6uu.gifv
You learn early on to steer clear of damaged machinery due to the electricity. Especially around metal surfaces due to the floors being electrified. And so....
early warning system for electric phantoms
. Such a cool visual effect too

Not sure if intended or not (after all the game is system shock-esque, and tense survivalism is the aim) but I'm finding myself feeling kind of underequipped at this point in the game I think.

Just got
Morgan's arming key
Still haven't found much that's more useful than the shotgun, pistol or wrench; and I'm finding myself hiding from enemies alot more.

It's a hard game, and I'm totally on board for that, but I still can't help shake the feeling that I'm just underpowered and have missed something I should have or not been upgrading properly =/
Your other tools are as important, if not more so, as your damage dealing weapons. Stunned and disabled enemies take more damage, the bowcaster can distract and lead enemies into traps, stealth and attacks from behind do major damage with the right upgrades. And you want to pick your battles

Just got
Morgan's arming key

Wow, I just passed that point after ~18 hours. Explore some more and you won't find yourself as underequipped.

pa22word

There are loading screens between major areas but besides that, the station has that Souls-esque connectivity between rooms and different levels where everything is linked together in logical ways and paths will loop back around and shortcuts will lead you to familiar areas. I can't recall any area in 11 hours I've played so far that felt "game-y", as in placed there simply for gameplay reasons even if it wouldn't make sense.

The lead designer for Prey, Ricardo Bare, said they set out to make the space station to be like a "mega dungeon"

www.gamasutra.com/view/news/297288/Designing_Preys_scifi_space_station_to_be_like_a_megadungeon.php (SPOILERS)

Prey_Talos1_Blueprint_EN_730x548.jpg

Does it ever feel as huge as SS1 does?

Like, here's the first level of SS1:

lev01.png

Like to put it in comparison, that first area in the SS1R demo was probably about like >5% of that first level. The scale itself of the map is part of what makes the game feel unique, as you just feel like you're an ant stuck in a world that is uniformly hostile to you at every turn.

Lakitu

st5fu
This game is how I like my level design. Interconnected world with multiple pathways, secrets, variety and surprises. I vastly prefer it over an open-world type game, a genre which I've gone off of. So this makes me happy.

Completely random question: how come it seems like certain kinds of junk don't stack automatically in your inventory? I've gotten inventory full messages when trying to pick up certain things, only to find a bunch of unstacked mimic tumors in my inventory. Autosort cleans that up real quick, but it's a little annoying to have to do it every so often just because.

goblin

Completely random question: how come it seems like certain kinds of junk don't stack automatically in your inventory? I've gotten inventory full messages when trying to pick up certain things, only to find a bunch of unstacked mimic tumors in my inventory. Autosort cleans that up real quick, but it's a little annoying to have to do it every so often just because.

Did you learn Necropsy? This seems to happen with both the salvage skills - Necropsy and Dismantle. It doesn't auto-stack the bonus items you pick up, like tumors or spare parts. It's really annoying, and I have to imagine it's a bug which hopefully gets patched soon.

Did you learn Necropsy? This seems to happen with both the salvage skills - Necropsy and Dismantle. It doesn't auto-stack the bonus items you pick up, like tumors or spare parts. It's really annoying, and I have to imagine it's a bug which hopefully gets patched soon.

Yup, you can't pick up the tumors without Necropsy. Okay, so I'm not doing anything wrong at least. Guess I'll hope/wait for a fix.

I'm a few hours in, and so far I'm liking it. I do keep waiting for the System Shock 2-style twist to hit, so maybe it hews a little too close to that formula, but it's great having to think on my feet for every encounter and figuring out all the little environmental puzzles and semi-secret passageways and whatnot.

Anno

Would you guys say this is a better game than Dishonored 2? That was a bit of a let down for Arkane standards.

Unless you mean some of the technical issues I think that's crazy talk. It's a different game for sure, but you can see the Arkane in there with all the overlapping systems, amazing art direction and best-in-the-business level design.

Huh I'm just at that point myself, where'd you find the plans?

If only I could tell you. Honestly don't know the exact place anymore. I did explore a lot outside the station and went into several of those hull breaches. I think around there. Sorry I can't be of more help.

You guys have me so hyped for this game. My copy arrives tomorrow. I couldn't be happier we have another great title from Arkane.

Man, 2017 has been truly amazing for video games.

Top Bottom