• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Just started playing the demo and one thing that stood out: the graphics are not good. Looks likes an old current gen game or even last gen at some points.

So far I've done tons of scanning with the psychoscope but I think I'm gonna do a purely human build. No typhon powers.

It feels so system shock-ey without the powers, also I am curious about the story implications.

I feel like this game is a perfect blend of system shock 1, 2, and what we all kind of wish or vaguely imagined SS3 would have been, but hey we live in the reality where we might actually see a real System Shock 3 but this scratches the itch so perfectly, it makes me scared to think that the real SS3 won't live up to this. :(

Also, I love how the lean feels exactly like SS2's lean.

I found a module that makes the ARX
flight system thing go super fast in space. I accidentally went so fast I smacked into an overhead pillar shattering the helmet and killing morgan instantly.

Big props on whoever did the physics in space, everything works like it should for the most part.

The art design here and graphics are just amazing on PC tbh, I don't get the complaints and
fuckin' zero g baby wubbalubbadubdubs. Wooo!

So like, I forgot to mention something regarding an early quest, post major story revelation of watching a
video
So one of my questions is about December, I ended up ignoring it completely and eventually got a message where someone killed it, then January confessed to doing it. Are they setting up multiple morgan agendas?

Also from reading emails Alex is a massive
Piece of shit.

Just started playing the demo and one thing that stood out: the graphics are not good. Looks likes an old current gen game or even last gen at some points.

What? It looks great, the art style of it really holds up. Maybe it isn't as technical, but man the art design is out of this world. Standard for a Arkane title.

What? It looks great, the art style of it really holds up. Maybe it isn't as technical, but man the art design is out of this world. Standard for a Arkane title.

Yeah. I'm sure there are prettier games with higher budgets, but do they have such strong level design and player agency? I know what I find more important.

carlsojo

Just realized I could have gotten into Pyschotronics
as soon as I got to the lobby for the first time.. instead of six hours later.

Arcane Studios developed the cancelled Half Life 2: Episode 3. I wanna see this game. Right now. Valve doesn't give a fuck ...just sell the franchise to Arkane, lol. They know what they're doing.

edit: I just read it was episode 4.

Megasoum

Banned
FUCKKKKK... I was looking at the steam forums to try to find a solution to a problem and I think someone just spoiled something big.... I should have known better than go into that cesspit I guess.

Stoze

I reeaaally like Alex's VA.
Yeah he's great.
So far I've done tons of scanning with the psychoscope but I think I'm gonna do a purely human build. No typhon powers.
Honestly I think I'm just gonna do this too. I bought alien powers to mess around with for a little, and then reloaded my save. They're neat, but like SS2, I never touched nor really had the urge for PSI powers and still had a blast. Using the environment and weapons is just too satisfying, and I'm already well invested in my human skills and abilities as well as overwhelmed with the options I currently have.

I'm still sort of early so maybe I'll change my mind. But I like the idea of Hard/Human playthrough first and then Nightmare/Hardcore/Alien second.

Spoo

Finished the game today on Normal, which took about 13 hours or so. I did some side quests, and didn't do others (I am planning a more completionist playthrough on a harder difficulty).

Overall, it's a really surprising, well-constructed game with a lot of really good ideas, and a strong blend of sci-fi and atmospheric horror. If people like Deus Ex, or Bioshock, or the Shock series in general, it'd be essentially impossible to not recommend this game -- one that, for these players, might be in their running for GotY.

Personally, I think it gets a little bit stale near the end once the variety of what you're doing starts to run low. There aren't a lot of "wow!" moments in the game (I can think of maybe 3), and what the game does right mechanically and with its depth it fails to make the moments when things boil down to a gun fight feel particularly satisfying. Still, that's really not the central focus of the game, so I won't hold it against it too much.

Pretty much a full recommendation for me. Great job, Arkane. And not too shabby on the PC version, either; it only crashed once for me, and performance was generally acceptable minus one or two situations of severe stuttering. I'm looking forward to my second playthrough.

Yeah he's great.

Honestly I think I'm just gonna do this too. I bought alien powers to mess around with for a little, and then reloaded my save. They're neat, but like SS2, I never touched nor really had the urge for PSI powers and still had a blast. Using the environment and weapons is just too satisfying, and I'm already well invested in my human skills and abilities as well as overwhelmed with the options I currently have.

I'm still sort of early so maybe I'll change my mind. But I like the idea of Hard/Human playthrough first and then Nightmare/Hardcore/Alien second.

I am probably saving powers usage for my next playthrough as well, I'm at 20ish hours though and I'm still apparently barely through the game.

This game is massive, I still don't know how people beat it quickly.

Foxxsoxx

I think my only two flaws with the game right now are the aiming feeling real clunk and the enemys have a very, very low amount of attacks they do.

Megasoum

Banned
I imagine that this is as designed but I've found two places so far where there's two... Phantoms I think? The monsters that stand up...

Anyway... I've tried a couple of times and there's just no way I can defeat two of those guys right now lol... I imagine you get new gear and upgrades eventually that will help...

Are you guys kidding me? This game is actually good? I will have to buy it SOMEDAY.

I just bought Neir so I have to finish that first and Nioh is still on my plate. Just finished Horizon and don't even get me started on Persona5. I am sure I am missing an essential game or two from this year but fuck it I can't keep up.

This year is rediculous.

Kadin

Anyone have the Steam overlay accidentally open when you did not press the keyboard combination to normally open it?

I had my combo set to ctrl+tab to open it up and when I was pressing ctrl to go into sneak, the UI would randomly open when pressing it. I have tab bound to inventory and there is no way I'm accidentally pressing it. I thought it was a glitch so I rebound the combo to shift+tab and it's happening again when I press shift to run. Really don't want to have to come up with yet another combo...

pa22word

Are you guys kidding me? This game is actually good?

Has Arkane /ever/ made a bad, or even mediocre game?

Everything they've touched has been solid gold since they first formed up a studio. I can't believe anyone who knew Raph Colantonio (lead designer or and/or director on Arx Fatalis, a decent chunk of Bioshock 2, Dark Messiah, and Dishonored + DLC) was directing the game would have doubts about the quality. Even if it didn't reach my super lofty desires for a new System Shock I had no illusions as to the game being bad.

Dartastic

I still don't have any psy powers. At all. I've played for like... 4 hours? I assume they're in the psytronics lab? I'm just enjoying exploring right now. I just went backtracking just... because I could and I just happened to stumble in there. Game is so, so good.

Stoze

I still don't have any psy powers. At all. I've played for like... 4 hours? I assume they're in the psytronics lab? I'm just enjoying exploring right now. I just went backtracking just... because I could and I just happened to stumble in there. Game is so, so good.

You assumed
right
. You can get a PSI power in the human trees though, it's called Combat Focus. Slows time and lets you do more damage with upgrades.

What are people's top 3 early game neuromod recommendations? Looks like so much good stuff on the tech trees.
Leverage I, Hacking I, Materials Expert. Get Necropsy early as well, you want those Mimic tumors.

Mask

anyone know where these two keycards are?

IT supply closet
yellow tulip supply closet

The keycard for the Yellow Tulip supply closet should be
on an Operator bot named Tizzy. Should be behind the bar or somewhere around the area.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Damn, this game is wild. I'm at Psychotronics but apparently there's a whole other (optional?) area that I can explore right now. I really like that kind of freedom and rewarding for going off the main path.

Mifec

For anyone going on a no kill run quest spoiler
the "cook" tries to suicidebomb you at the end so don't worry about completing it

So like, I forgot to mention something regarding an early quest, post major story revelation of watching a
video
So one of my questions is about December, I ended up ignoring it completely and eventually got a message where someone killed it, then January confessed to doing it. Are they setting up multiple morgan agendas?

Also from reading emails Alex is a massive
Piece of shit.

I did the exact same thing.

If you do the December quest you get to "leave" early and get an ending that leads to a game over and a massive endgame spoiler, then you have to load back and play with that knowledge and the fucking quest taunting you in your quest log rofl

Both of them are.

Alucrid

Banned
The keycard for the Yellow Tulip supply closet should be
on an Operator bot named Tizzy. Should be behind the bar or somewhere around the area.

awesome, thanks. must have missed it

edit: can't find it at all - must be bugged or does it only appear before the area is complete? hmm

goblin

Personally, I think it gets a little bit stale near the end once the variety of what you're doing starts to run low. There aren't a lot of "wow!" moments in the game (I can think of maybe 3), and what the game does right mechanically and with its depth it fails to make the moments when things boil down to a gun fight feel particularly satisfying. Still, that's really not the central focus of the game, so I won't hold it against it too much.

I agree with this. In particular, I was incredibly let down by the last few missions.

Huge endgame spoilers follow:
There's quite a bit of backtracking in the latter parts of the game, which I don't mind in theory, but I didn't find to be done well. After Dahl docks his shuttle and the military operators clear the station of Typhon presence, things just get really dull. They're pretty one-note to fight, and at that point I'd already been everywhere so each sub-objective just involved running past a lot of slow robots to the mission marker.

I got my hopes up once the apex Typhon attacks the station and you're funneled into the finale, expecting some good gameplay challenges like reconfigured areas or new encounters; stuff that would put the skills you've accumulated to the test. Maybe there's an entire room that's a mimic or a greater nightmare or anything, really. Instead I ran uneventfully through more areas I'd cleared already, most of which were still bereft of enemies and largely unchanged. The only big difference was some tendrils lazily creeping through the wall that died in one shot and were functionally harmless.

I found the entire thing really, really disappointing on both a gameplay and spectacle front, especially after the stakes are raised so much by the cool setpiece of the Arboretum getting destroyed. It's doubly strange because Alex repeatedly stresses how much what he wants you to do will anger the Typhon, and how hard they'll fight to stop you, but I tried both his and January's ending paths and the only difference was which empty areas I was backtracking through. There was, like, one Voltaic Phantom that spawned as I was running to the bridge I guess. Maybe a couple mimics.

Oh well. At least the post-credits stinger was fun.

malfcn

I need to learn about status effects.

Got hurt by a few mimic and are done cookies or something. I had 50 health, and it kept going up to 100. Hope I didn't waste something.

mishakoz

Late game spoilers, question

I have dahl unconcious, it says to drag him to the med bay but by the time i get there he is a corpse? I dont understand.

Varna

What are people's top 3 early game neuromod recommendations? Looks like so much good stuff on the tech trees.

I'm on Nightmare so early game I went go Conditioning to get some extra health and mobility. Then I went to the Repair tree to get more storage space.

Unfortunately... like Fallout 3 hacking and repair seem pretty pointless. There seems to always be a way to bypass these things.

Stoze

I don't even think you need the
crossbow, I think you can use your wrench too.
Yep,
just break the glass next to it and press the button through the window

That only gets you into that room though, not the entirety of Psychotronics.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
haha wow, this game is amazing. I thought it would be alright, but wow

does a good job of keeping pressure the on even during slower parts. this setting is so well-realized and... so logically laid out. i love reading all the emails

God damn you guys. I don't have much money atm so I'll have to wait until next payday, but Jesus you're making me want this game right now.

I've been waiting for something so long to fix that Bio/System Shock itch and considering the System Shock 1 remake is so far off, this will be amazing to fill the void.

I played the PS4 demo and loved everything about it except the controls. They felt really stiff. I'm considering getting it on the PC but there's no PC demo. I prefer to get things on the PS4, do the controls just take some getting used to?

mishakoz

I played the PS4 demo and loved everything about it except the controls. They felt really stiff. I'm considering getting it on the PC but there's no PC demo. I prefer to get things on the PS4, do the controls just take some getting used to?

Im playing thru on PS4 right now, and I would highly recommend PC.

Top Bottom