• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

bosseye

Still very early on, but I sneaked up to a load of mimics in a larger area without them seeing me and lobbed a chair at them to see what would happen; they all scattered and I was able to see what they turned into - so cool seeing one dash towards a load of cleaning supplies and turn itself into a bucket, another into a cup on a table, another one into a small barrier.

I love the atmosphere too - I'm a sucker for gore strewn space stations, but this is much more restrained; obviously there are corpses scattered about and a bit of blood here and there, but there is a Marie Celeste vibe, the sense of a catclysmic event overtaking people that I'm really enjoying.

Can't wait to play more.

Zutrax

So um... how on earth am I supposed to get this guy out of this huge tank?

Go tinker around upstairs some more, there's a computer that unlocks that one. I don't recall if you need an item or not to complete this one.

Also to everyone else. I just finished up the Cargo Bay and am being told to go speak to Alex. I assume this is endgame and now would be a good time to wrap some of my other side quests up?

benzopil

Maybe I'm just bad, but this game feels horribly unbalanced. Always running with 20 hp and 0 ammo, you use more items than can craft.

I just finished
Gathering Echoes
mission and here's this shit again -- lots of mimics, giant ass dude flying and trying to electrify me, and I'm trying to do stuff.

Skulldead

Maybe I'm just bad, but this game feels horribly unbalanced. Always running with 20 hp and 0 ammo, you use more items than can craft.

I just finished
Gathering Echoes
mission and here's this shit again -- lots of mimics, giant ass dude flying and trying to electrify me, and I'm trying to do stuff.

On nightmare ? Because the 300 life upgrade is a life saver, you have to get this as soon as possible. For ammo, craft them, craft less nano upgrade and craft more ammo.

I just finished
Gathering Echoes
What are you doing that you barely have ammo? I'm on Hard and I always have at least some ammo.

And more items to craft? You can recycle anything in your inventory. Junk is everywhere.

Carcetti

Ehh, who needs ammo. I haven't crafted a single bullet yet, used all the materials I can on the neuromods and rolling with psi-powers and the wrench. It was hard at the start but I'm slowly turning into a real superhuman. Helps when you get certain chipsets to boost psi, though.

Bluth54

Combat is still my biggest problem with it probably. There is so much good though and I got used to it. Have to say, when I see PC vids I am green with envy. Game looks so smooth there. Thing is, I dont think the consoles aiming should be this stunted still. Ah well, maybe a future patch will remedy it some.

Yeah I'm about 5 hours into the game on PC and I love pretty much everything but the combat, you feel way too sluggish and it's really hard to do any sort of dodging of enemy attacks. I can't even imagine how bad it is on consoles, especially considering the much high input lag. Hopefully consoles will get a patch soon to decrease the input lag.

Ehh, who needs ammo. I haven't crafted a single bullet yet, used all the materials I can on the neuromods and rolling with psi-powers and the wrench. It was hard at the start but I'm slowly turning into a real superhuman. Helps when you get certain chipsets to boost psi, though.
Powers are that effective? Shit, I might have to do that in a second playthrough

Oh, so enemies do respawn. :/

'Why is my turret bus- OH HELL WTF IS THAT?!'

And I still don't know. All the game told me it was a ??? as it and its friend chased me around the machine shop.

I think it was you who did that big System vs Bio Shock post, right? That's what convinced me to try SS2 again. You can definitely see how this is so much a System Shock successor when you play the two back to back; I didn't expect to the similiaries to be so readily obvious

Although SS2's immersive approach to starting stat choices is genius. I'd take that over clicking menu icons any day

Ha, yeah that was me.

Yeah no other game has quite done stat choices like SS2 and it makes me sad.

Not to mention the fact you can literally spec your character wrong and not be able to use shit.

void666

Banned

And I still don't know. All the game told me it was a ??? as it and its friend chased me around the machine shop.

Well, technically they don't respawn. They are replaced by harder enemies.
I think you need to scan them to see their names.

Mifec

Weapon upgrade kits + security weapon damage perks

Tested this. Loaded into game and then looked at golden guns stats when in and out of hand. It doesn't change stats, remains at 19.

Yeah I just went and tested it too, was using combat focus when I looked at it the first time after I equipped it, that's why it had extra dmg.

BiggNife

I didn't realize that all of the Yus are voiced by actors of Asian ethnicities. That's a really nice touch, good on Arkane for doing that.

Patison

Judging by your impressions, this game looks super awesome and I'm currently waiting for payday to dive in, but I have one question: is Tommy or events from original Prey referenced in any way? Or is it a total reboot? Feel free to spoiler tag!

pa22word

Weapon upgrade kits + security weapon damage perks

Tested this. Loaded into game and then looked at golden guns stats when in and out of hand. It doesn't change stats, remains at 19.
Think you got a bug dude, because I got the gun earlier and bumped them both all the way up to test it and the golden gun had higher damage stats.

KorrZ

Personally I've loved the "combat" so far because for me the "combat" has consisted of setting up 2-3 fortified turrets outside of every door I enter and watching them blast away everything that comes near me.

Has Arkane given a time table on fixing the drift issue on Ps4? I find myself falling of shit when I'm climbing stuff. One minute I'm where I need to be, the next Morgan decides to slowly walk off.

ISee

ugh, early game spoilers

trying to get into the morgue is annoying as fuck. I legit waited 10 over ten minutes for the in-game clock to be at exactly half past the hour, and the fucking robot still didn't go in

The morgue in the Psychtronics department? You can break a window and then use the mimic ability to Access the room through the mesh.

Has Arkane given a time table on fixing the drift issue on Ps4? I find myself falling of shit when I'm climbing stuff. One minute I'm where I need to be, the next Morgan decides to slowly walk off.

Has there been any speculation regarding ETA on any upcoming patches yet?

They confirmed on Twitter that they'll be implementing the HUD options and I'm still hoping they'll fix the PS4 control issues. Since I'm not swimming in free-time currently as it stands, I cold turkey suffered through my hypest moments this weekend and decided to pick it up in maybe a month or so when hopefully some of these small things are fixed.

v0mitg0d

ok so I made a few videos to help people with some of the (secret) stuff I found:

Here is a Secret Path to Alex Yu's Office
https://youtu.be/cuuCLN3_On0

Finding Dr Howards Body Location for the Gardening Tips objective (this one was hard to find):
https://youtu.be/RjjRh_ieguM

How to Save Rani & how to trick that darn Telepath to come outside the green house
https://youtu.be/TG2Zf_pjEbw

How to find Marietta Kyrkos Body and kick off the Golden Gun objective

https://youtu.be/S3wFxU4MxoM

It was fun making these, hope it helps!

In addition, here's one for Calino's hidden safe in the Crew Cabin. Some people have had an issue finding it:

https://youtu.be/w7oruOt94zA

Skulldead

Personally I've loved the "combat" so far because for me the "combat" has consisted of setting up 2-3 fortified turrets outside of every door I enter and watching them blast away everything that comes near me.

don't work anymore on nightmare.... my turret are getting destroy so fast....i like the combat too it feel like a survival horror a little. Ammo conservation help a lot

mbpm1

I've fixed a turret, walked into a room, read some emails and collected items, then turned around to see my turret destroyed and a phantom patrolling near it. It did take down another phantom though.

void666

Banned
My combat strategy is to shoot everything until they are all dead.
I have only two alien powers, mimic and remote manipulation. Unlocked those for exploration purposes.

I usually stick to pistol and shotgun. Both nearly full upgraded. Don't underestimate the pistol. It has good range and insane rate of fire. If you pull the trigger fast enough you can deal tons of damage really quickly. The pistol is a bullet hose though. I'm always crafting ammo.
Just toggle combat focus and go to town.

madjoki

Crap, looks like
The Repoman
is totally broken for me.

It's not where it says in quest log or audio log and none of locations from youtube.

Carcetti

Powers are that effective? Shit, I might have to do that in a second playthrough

Many powers are really effective. Some can almost one-shot phantoms, plus yuu can prevent them from using psi, do dot damage, make enemies helpless etc. You can even get resists on the side for cheap. The problem is mostly that they use Psi points and I hate 'wasting them' in a game that has no inherent mana regen. So I set up with chipsets:

One chipset gives slowly regening psi, and the pool is currently 300 for me with chipset+neuromods. With a full pool you can do a lot of damage. Certain chipsets lower psi cost of powers.

Kinda, new more powerful enemies show up after you complete certain story missions, I think it's only happens with main ones. So I tend to do all the exploring in a level before I proceed because they get stronger later in the game. Before that though, once they're dead you have free reign to wonder to your hearts content.

aravuus

Alright, got a keyboard with brown MX Cherry switches to replace the blue-switched kb I had, much more comfortable for gaming. Time to (hopefully) finish this bad boy tonight!

I started my second, alien-only playthrough but I just came to the realization that this means no inventory or psi upgrades.
Seems like this will be a tough run!

Ok besides me reading numerous things about the green dot and expecting something it still fucking scared the shit out of me .

Fuck this game is good

Top Bottom