• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

There's a recycler chip? I Only saw a shotgun

It should be in the locker with the shotgun.
cosmonaut-shotgun-pack.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Surprised that I got the achievements for all emails, recordings and food today without trying. I never unlock OCD achievements like that in games generally.

Surprised that I got the achievements for all emails, recordings and food today without trying. I never unlock OCD achievements like that in games generally.

question about recordings.

did you have to kill anyone to be able to get certain ones? Like take it off their body after u kill them

20 Hours in and I just started having "performance" problems. My game just crashed to desktop and when I started it up again and load last save it instacrashes. Furthermore just recently I entered a zone i had entered 50 times before and everything reappeared and the whole map was undiscovered...Oh well I am almost done and it was a great ride, I am just going to load an earlier save and rush to the end now.

All it does is protect you from killing yourself with recycler charges right? Don't see how that's too bad, unless you start dropping charges point blank while staring a Phantom down or something.

Later in the game,
recycler traps can appear. Having the chip installed makes the traps a complete non-issue.
And yeah I guess you can also do point blank recycler charges as well.

Stoze

yeah. i just hate managing save files, its a pain lol. Ill probably do that. Im pretty sure it wouldnt pop without those emails. There are also some transcribes you cant get
unless you kill certain people.
Idk the details about that cus im not too far. Im sure with some very precise saves throughout the game everything could be done fast, but that requires a ton of planning.

The achievements are either borked or super lenient - I just got the one for reading all emails, and there's another terminal right next to me with ones unread.

The achievements are either borked or super lenient - I just got the one for reading all emails, and there's another terminal right next to me with ones unread.

youre right! Just saw this on Powerpyx

The trophies will pop early before finding everything. The trophies should pop at 165 TranScribes / 267 Crew Members / 190 Emails.
Combine this playthrough with your Human Abilities run so you can hack doors, lift heavy objects and make repairs.

Beat the game on hard after 30 hours, will replay on Nightmare.

Overall one of my favourite gaming experiences of the last couple generations. The freedom to explore really hooked me, to the point that I found myself just wandering around and exploring rather than completing the main quest. Funnily enough, my early exploration of some areas made some late game quests easier to complete. Excellent game, and I hope word of mouth helps sway people to buy it.

Ending Spoilers:
I love that the game intentionally laid out all the information regarding the twist to us. The emails, and Alex's voice when trying to leave Talos were great. Even though I followed their breadcrumbs to an obvious twist, the ending still managed to surprise me in how well it was executed. It was very satisfying to see my choices and good deeds reflected in the end. I am excited to start my rampage playthrough now...no survivors.

Having a blast with this game so far. I'm at about 10 hours in, but I feel like I'm progressing through the areas without really getting many of the side objectives done. Is there an easy way to keep track of objectives by area instead of flipping them on and off manually?

Also, is there any reason to try and track down all of the employees listed in the security terminals?

Tal

Same here. Looking it up it seems that you don't actually need all of them, just a certain percentage.

Ending Spoilers:
I love that the game intentionally laid out all the information regarding the twist to us. The emails, and Alex's voice when trying to leave Talos were great. Even though I followed their breadcrumbs to an obvious twist, the ending still managed to surprise me in how well it was executed. It was very satisfying to see my choices and good deeds reflected in the end. I am excited to start my rampage playthrough now...no survivors.

Yarp. Does everything an rpg ending should do. Every single aspect of it is properly foreshadowed if you've been paying attention, recognizes all major choices, and perfectly sets up the sequel.

Can only suspect that people calling the ending trash closed the game before getting to the post credits scene.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
question about recordings.

did you have to kill anyone to be able to get certain ones? Like take it off their body after u kill them

No idea, like I said I wasn't trying to find them all so I wasn't really paying much attention to where I found them.

have 6 shotgun shells and 10 goop

how do i kill 2 phantoms? ;_;

With the most powerful weapon in the game. A recycler grenade.

Really great game so far. Could pass for a Bioshock sequel, but also borrows from the older Shock games and Arkane's own Dishonored.

The scavenging and recycling, the upgrade system, the weapons, the enemies, the exploration, the emails and audio logs, the setting - I'm really enjoying it all. The sound design and score is absolutely amazing too.

My only complaint would probably be the visuals, which seem a bit dated. It would have been nice if this game had the wow factor something like Bioshock had back in the day.

Lijik

So went back to the starting area and broke into fabrication. Took a turret with me and...
Whatever that thing in there is took it away from me and started attacking me with it...

This fucking game.

giphy.gif

I will be back, wiser and stronger next time.

Same thing happened to me first time I went in there lmao, felt like a real wile e coyote moment when the scheme backfired

Enjoying this game a lot, but it's also giving me renewed appreciation for how good the Dishonored / Dishonored 2 combat was. There's a ton of cool powers and abilities in this, but fighting indistinct flickering enemies just never feels as good as fighting humans / humanoids. I played both Dishonored games like 8 times each primarily because of how fun I found the combat. I don't see myself playing Prey more than twice, TBH.

So during my playthrough, I fought a mimic, I was near one of those teleporting elevators. Suddenly a medkit comes flying out of one. I scrambled for it... then it transformed into a mimic... gosh damnit lol

KDC720

Just got the psychoscope, I enjoyed the demo well enough but so far this is looking to a be a serious GOTY contender.

Love just how many options you have of traversing and interacting with the enviroment, man this game is gonna have so much replay value.

Noks415

Tip: Not sure if people here use the pistol at all, but that gun puts in the work. It doesn't cause as much damage as the fully upgraded shotgun, but a fully upgraded pistol can get in so many more shots in way less time. I'm just destroying mimics and phantoms.

Mifec

Tip: Not sure if people here use the pistol at all, but that gun puts in the work. It doesn't cause as much damage as the fully upgraded shotgun, but a fully upgraded pistol can get in so many more shots in way less time. I'm just destroying mimics and phantoms.

Especially with sneak attack+ damage. Since it fires as fast as you press the button it usually shreds stuff.

I've been wanting to use the pistol more but I hear there's a
golden pistol
you can get that might have better stats? I've heard some people say it has worse stats and others say it was the same so don't want to commit upgrades until I know for sure what it is. Then again, I CAN fabricate weapon upgrades anyway, though I tend to be short on synthetic matter a lot of the time thanks to Neuromod fabrication...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Reading this thread after playing the demo...it feels like the Internet is playing the most elaborate troll on me with this GOTY talk.

terrible

Banned
I finished the game tonight, was it ever a good game. I didn't even really know of its existence until very recently. This has to be the most out of the blue GOTY candidate for me ever. A game this good should've had waaaaaaay more hype.

Top Bottom