• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

I just - twice - ran into the weird inventory bug that happens with the elevator and the Arboretum. Lost a full stack of pistol ammo the first time - wasn't happy but I can live with it - but the second time I lost my almost completely upgraded Disruptor. I don't have the mats to make a new one plus all the weapon upgrade kits. I want to cry... this means another backtrack to a previous save from an hour and a half ago.

Watch your inventory, folks! From what others have said, it always picks a random item from the first row.

Noks415

I just - twice - ran into the weird inventory bug that happens with the elevator and the Arboretum. Lost a full stack of pistol ammo the first time - wasn't happy but I can live with it - but the second time I lost my almost completely upgraded Disruptor. I don't have the mats to make a new one plus all the weapon upgrade kits. I want to cry... this means another backtrack to a previous save from an hour and a half ago.

Watch your inventory, folks! From what others have said, it always picks a random item from the first row.

This happened once to me. The ammo counter on my gloo gun read negative 24, I was like wtf? I thought it was part of the narrative like if Morgan was going crazy, but then I realized all my gloo ammo I save up was gone. All 380 rounds.

SZips

Two more crashes tonight. This is just a nice continuation from yesterday.

First one let me continue just fine. Second one made sure that my last four saves (it was the previous five saves last night) didn't work.

Getting real sick of this. Somehow the game is crashing more the further into the story I go. Fun fact*: The game reset my story completion time after the crashes I had two nights ago.

Bonus fun fact*: The PC version has a limit of 20 saves for some asinine reason.

*Not actually fun facts.

Rizzi

3D69A81D88D90CA65F64877F89B2889A8983B7D4

I do not want to go in this room.

What´s the trigger for the inventory bug?

It seems to be traveling back to the Arboretum from somewhere else like Crew Quarters or Deep Storage. I don't know if it happens coming from the lobby as well. I've been cleaning up sides so I was all over the place before I realized it, but I definitely did all of those things.

It seems to take random things, not always the first. item, and nothing really seems to be immune to it. I've seen people mention guns, ammo, all of their synthetic mats, etc.

This game is fucking fantastic. So many moments of me thinking 'I wonder if I can..' and then I try it, and I'm rewarded for thinking outside the square. So many possibilities. Allowing the player to experiment is intentional and part of the design. It's a masterclass.

Skulldead

I was looking online for the treasure side quest thing (i was turning in round for 3 hour for the last location). And saw the duplicate material glitch, i was like this can be that stupid, this is game basic game testing stuff here... Not this is the easiest exploit i ever encounter... i decide not to use it, but i was on the edge to get freaking mineral one, just to help a little.... I'm always at the last charger of nearly every gun, when the game will throw me a wave of enemies, i don't know what i'm gonna do though....

No way they will not patch this soon...

noomi

Holy shit, I just had probably the worst jump scare I've ever experienced in any game I've ever played!

I think it was called
the looking glass room..... you are surrounded by glass and have to touch this green button on the screen to calibrate the screen. I was thinking something cool would happen... but no... after you calibrate the screen a loud noise and image of a fucking phantom show up in front of you. I don't normally scare easy but this nearly made me fall out of my goddamn seat..... IT WAS AWESOME!

I love this game... so very much

So I, um, I've played for about 8ish hours and I've still not watched the rest of Morgan's video, been to Psychotronics nor completed the first morgue side quest you get.

Allah preserve me.

I'm really not liking that tougher enemies spawn when backtracking. I'm having trouble finding ammo now, and stealth isn't that good. It's making lose interest fast. I guess I'll try stacking large objects together and recycling them next time I play. Maybe that will help.

Skulldead

I'm really not liking that tougher enemies spawn when backtracking. I'm having trouble finding ammo now, and stealth isn't that good. It's making lose interest fast. I guess I'll try stacking large objects together and recycling them next time I play. Maybe that will help.

Got the same problem, this is actuality worse when
Nightmare
appear, he took like 12-15 fully upgrade shotgun shot + all the gun perk to kill. I'm about 20 shotgun ammo left, 9 pistol, a little of the other, but i have like 10 mineral material.... thing will get ugly later. And i was a shit load of exotic, to make neuromed, but no mineral to use them. They could have balance the mineral cost of neuromed...

McBryBry

Feel like I'm getting my ass kicked. Normal difficulty, haven't left the main lobby at the beginning yet. Mimics are fast and Phantoms hit hard, and I feel like I'm losing half my health every encounter.

Feel like I'm getting my ass kicked. Normal difficulty, haven't left the main lobby at the beginning yet. Mimics are fast and Phantoms hit hard, and I feel like I'm losing half my health every encounter.
Mixing a combo of tools and weapons helps a lot.

Try using GLOO on Phantoms or explosive canisters against them. Hell, even the combat focus ability gives you an advantage over enemies.

GHG

Gold Member

1. Sneak
2. Observe
3. Plan your encounter
4. Execute

Always use the environment to your advantage. Set up turrets, block off doorways with the goo gun, etc. Just get creative in general. You're not really supposed to go toe to toe with phantoms unless you have invested neuromods in health, stamina and increased your wrench's hit potential.

SomTervo

Reading this thread after playing the demo...it feels like the Internet is playing the most elaborate troll on me with this GOTY talk.

The full game is better than the demo.

Significantly.

Plus PS4 has control issues.

The tougher enemies on backtracking tend to spawn in areas that are large and open. I literally run/sneak past most of them. Also remember they're all hugely useful for scanning.

Make sure you're fabricating plenty of ammo to keep yourself stocked. I've got a fully upgraded pistol and shotgun that I'm constantly fabricating ammo for. If I didn't do that I'd be having a way worse time.

Also... you can Recycle large objects for materials?

Why didn't I think of that already.

This game...

Vintage

I love the Looking Glass screens. Such an awesome mechanic to trick your eyes. There's way more of these in the world than you think there is.

Mifec

First playthrough finished, the story was in no way diminished by the fact
that the whole thing leaked before the game was out and was 100% true rofl

I love the post credits sequence and everything it involves so much. Really well done and the way they reflect on your actions is pretty cool.

Gotta finish it at least 2 more times I guess
vLAX4.png

bosseye

I smashed the giant video screen in Morgan's office, turns out there was a passageway behind it with a door at the end. Can't get through it though, wonder what is through there... Then I wondered if I'd done the right thing, hopefully I'm not expected to watch any more videos on this non-existent screen.

I smashed the giant video screen in Morgan's office, turns out there was a passageway behind it with a door at the end. Can't get through it though, wonder what is through there... Then I wondered if I'd done the right thing, hopefully I'm not expected to watch any more videos on this non-existent screen.

arrested-development-gob-george-franklin-zoom.gif

Vintage

I believe you computer has an option to fix the screen.

Shari

1. Sneak
2. Observe
3. Plan your encounter
4. Execute

Always use the environment to your advantage. Set up turrets, block off doorways with the goo gun, etc. Just get creative in general. You're not really supposed to go toe to toe with phantoms unless you have invested neuromods in health, stamina and increased your wrench's hit potential.

This.

This game has a wonderful, back-to-the-ninties, quick-save-load system. Exploit the shit out of it, it does encourage experimentation.

The fact that you can actually do this is so wonderful. Games don't let you screw up like this anymore.

Mifec

Exit out to the lobby. Your PC has an option to fix it.

I love the Looking Glass screens. Such an awesome mechanic to trick your eyes. There's way more of these in the world than you think there is.

I want Looking Glass tech to become real. It's so cool and better than the typical sci-fi "giant screen somehow looks like real life" stuff that is usually displayed.

ymgve

I've been wanting to use the pistol more but I hear there's a
golden pistol
you can get that might have better stats? I've heard some people say it has worse stats and others say it was the same so don't want to commit upgrades until I know for sure what it is. Then again, I CAN fabricate weapon upgrades anyway, though I tend to be short on synthetic matter a lot of the time thanks to Neuromod fabrication...

The
golden pistol
has the exact same stats as the normal one. Don't bother.

Shari

This got buried - how far am I?

I just synthesized Danielle Sho's voice samples and got rid of the impostor cook.

Can you tell me where's
the impostor cook
?

Gotta go to neuromods to check security but I'm deep into the main story and moving around the station right now is a hassle, and I want to finish that questline... I promised ^^.

Check the quest log, it should say his ID # which you can track from Volunteer Quarters. If it doesn't say his # then give it time, I think someone tells you it eventually.

Yes this is exactly where I'm at, I just wanted to skip the hassle of having to go through security to locate the guy :S

The
golden pistol
has the exact same stats as the normal one. Don't bother.

It was better for me. But then earlier in the thread someone posted a picture where it was worse than the regular pistol. Seems random.. so double check the stats before you dismantle/recycle one.

Can you tell me where's
the impostor cook
?
Check the quest log, it should say his ID # which you can track from
Volunteer Quarters. If it doesn't say his # then give it time, I think someone tells you it eventually.

I never get tired of seeing the effect

I've also only seen the initial one and the ones in the Lab. I wonder how many I've missed

Shari

It was better for me. But then earlier in the thread someone posted a picture where it was worse than the regular pistol. Seems random.. so double check the stats before you dismantle/recycle one.

Been doing this for every weapon randomly found in the game and they all have had the same exact stats. I found that dissapointing, the RPG side of the game is sooooooo light.

SomTervo

Smashing through Looking Glass to find stuff behind is always awesome.

Also those emergent cinematic moments when you whack a Looking Glass by accident then have to position yourself to see the action again

It's nice that the [mid-sized Dishonored 2 spoiler]
Time Travel
Vision tech they developed for Dishonored 2 has been put to amazing use here.

Skulldead

This game...

Can we ? i know with the grenade that transform in material i use it when i see a lot of item in a stack. Can get some serious material from that

Been doing this for every weapon randomly found in the game and they all have had the same exact stats. I found that dissapointing, the RPG side of the game is sooooooo light.

I thought it was base on the difficulty level, also saw that they nerf stat weapon damage from the demo

I think they could have at least add a couple of weapon, but i'm at like 50% if the game, so i could get wrong. But i'm really happy there no random loot, i hate these thing...

Vintage

I never get tired of seeing the effect

I've also only seen the initial one and the ones in the Lab. I wonder how many I've missed

There's a waterfall in arboretum, which is... not a waterfall. There's no water, both the waterfall and pond beneath are just glass panels. No secrets behind (sadly), but the whole idea is super cool.

Yeah they're great. I didn't know anything about the story setup when I started playing the game and the first time I broke one of those screens
in my "apartment"
was amazing.

This game...
This game is very systemic like that. Metal conducts electricity so an electric phantom on a metal surface (or water) can give an early warning sign of its presence and make that area dangerous to walk on. A recycler recycles stuff; dont have the strength to move something? Just recycle it. Or blow it away with an canister. Metal cant burn so mimicking a wrench or shoe or other nonflammable object means you can move unharmed through fire

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
This game is very systemic like that. Metal conducts electricity so an electric phantom on a metal surface (or water) can give an early warning sign of its presence and make that area dangerous to walk on. A recycler recycles stuff; dont have the strength to move something? Just recycle it. Or blow it away with an canister. Metal cant burn so mimicking a wrench or shoe or other nonflammable object means you can move unharmed through fire

bruh

I'm on my second playthrough now, and can't help but read through emails and books I've already read- it's just too good! Everything feels even more enriched now that I know all the players involved in each email. This world really feels alive, and none of the crew members feel wasted. Everyone has their relationships, and flaws. From the extortionist working in security, to the concerned scientists, everyone feels like they have a life that doesn't just exist to serve the plot.

It's really easy to imagine what Talos 1 was like before the outbreak. It's a shame that there are people who pass up on reading everything, they're doing a massive disservice to their experience.

SomTervo

Picked up on most of that, but yeah, the bolded... Goddamnt

Top Bottom