• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I never even found that but got an alert the quest was complete. Welp!
I didn't know anything about this quest too and when I got there, there was a countdown - 5m:48s. Barely make it :)

n2cwfOC.gif

I did it. I felt bad though.
Heh, well, i'm doing my first playthrough oh hard without killing any humans and without using and buying any Typhoon powers so ... yeah, i wont be pushing this button. I mean, it may not count (but i'm sure it will) as a kill but still... not killing any humans means not killing any humans, even if they're out in space and not onboard Talos I.

There are a few choices like this later on that are just kind of quiet moral dilemmas that have no real bearing on the story (that I know of, haven't finished it yet) and exist purely to make you squirm a bit. Reminds me of SOMA in that regard.
Yeah... and in a good way actually, i really liked this game.

Push the fat guy.
Not this time i'm afraid (^__^)

P.S. Just found this goddamn guy in the G.U.T.S. which is related to blackbox project and... Oh, come on Arkane, why on earth would you put him there? It's almost impossible to find him there (believe me, i've tried) unless you know where he is but even then you'll be guessing a lot how to get to him cuz there's no clear indication of where he actually is.

carlsojo

Had to turn the difficulty down to normal when I got to the endgame. I just don't feel like fighting the same things over and over again.

I just shat my fucking pants! That
looking glass touch to calibrate
. This game is so immersive. I can't believe this game is gonna come and go without good sales and with middling reviews. It's a sad reflection on the state of the industry. It's a game design masterclass.

Did anyone find a way to power up the
Senior Yu's
suite? You can acess it via a breach, but all that's inside is a monitor with a no power icon.

Is there anything else to do in the
exterior
? Other than bodies I mean.

can get early access to the qbeam there. Which is quite convenient, given what's guarding the bloody thing.

Should also visit that billboard. And the shuttle.

I just shat my fucking pants! That
looking glass touch to calibrate
. This game is so immersive. I can't believe this game is gonna come and go without good sales and with middling reviews. It's a sad reflection on the state of the industry. It's a game design masterclass.

I accidentally spoiled myself on that one knowing something would happen during it, then forgot in the moment and nearly spat my drink.

I can't seem to hit them though. So damn fast. I ran out of ammo trying.

He's actually behind the grey pipe thing, like, the area behind it. There's a point where if you follow it you'll see there's a space you can get through.

It's a pain in the ass though, I had to watch a video to find it.

He's behind the huge pipe where the tunnel bends. You can squeeze over the top of the pipe and he's back in the corner.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

malfcn

I am not sure what happened because it went away so fast, but had a pop up with nothing around me simply: Y to lock.

Lock what?

bsp

Did anyone find a way to power up the
Senior Yu's
suite? You can acess it via a breach, but all that's inside is a monitor with a no power icon.

can get early access to the qbeam there. Which is quite convenient, given what's guarding the bloody thing.

Should also visit that billboard. And the shuttle.

What is out there? I flew to it once and did a quick fly-around but couldn't find anything of interest.

Uhhhhhh, when you first walk into Guts where is all that madness coming from.....I'm just trying recycle holy shit ;-;

Edit: Omg I had youtube open in the background and it was an Outlast 2 video playing. I thought I was going crazy because there was such a tonal shift lol.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Ok, I finished Prey earlier today and my thoughts:

Well, first of all, before I get into that, this game had its share of bugs. I couldn't complete the Treasure Hunter sidequest, because of a bug that made one of the corpses disappear. I was a bit disappointed to miss out on that. Also, early in the game one of the weapons somehow got stuck in a wall and I couldn't grab it, so I had to load a previous save. Otherwise, I think it played well.

I think this game had an amazing opening, and the level designs throughout the game were really cool and well constructed. I think the game gets significantly better as you go on though. Using that wrench over and over and over gets old, and as I progressed I found myself sticking really only with the shotgun of I had the resources. IMO, it was the weapon the most fun to use, combined with the powers.

So overall I think the weapons left a lot to be desired(which is completely opposite of the original Prey) which I think its weapons were the best part of that game.

But overall I thought the story was cool. Had a lot of exploration(although toward the end a ton of backtracking) and those loading screens.. arghhhhh! It was relatively challenging, had some RPG elements which I liked and good skill progression. The game just had a lot to do to keep you busy and I always loved finding new areas and unlocking new areas to explore. It was Metroid Prime-ish. I thought the game gave you a lot of freedom too which I liked. Other than a few parts of the game, it didn't hold your hand or restrict you to where you could go or nudge you along linear paths.

I think it's a very very good game, but I fall short of calling it great. I'm not one to use that term liberally. Biggest issues to me were the bugs, the weapons left some to be desired, the load times(paired with backtracking) and I thought the enemies got repetitive. There weren't enough variety for how long the game is. If they threw 3 more enemy types in there I think it would have leveled that out a bit.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and one of my favorite games of the year.

Man I was loving this game until I hit guts , don't mind the zero g so much but lots of spamming enemies , and I have hardly any ammo . As it is I am lost and just ran through to life support . Hoping I find a recycler etc .

I am sure it picks back up again but guts really brought me down.

Also trying to avoid all alien tech powers but given how little ammo I have I may be forced to

since when are there a lot of enemies in the GUTS? i remember it being mostly Cystoids that you can obliterate by just pushing heavy objects into them.

also, anyone know the differences between difficulties, like are resources more scare or what.

since when are there a lot of enemies in the GUTS? i remember it being mostly Cystoids that you can obliterate by just pushing heavy objects into them.

also, anyone know the differences between difficulties, like are resources more scare or what.

Yeh I wanted a lot of pistol ammo on them before realising you can just throw shit. It's more cargo bay/ life support that is kicking my ass , and those squid flying things

For npc's that have been brainwashed, is it worth trying to not kill them. In the cafeteria and the enemy in there just kills off the mind controlled humans right away. I've knocked out a few with the electric gun which doesn't kill them but am wondering if it keeps some paths open.

Cystoids are nothing. You can fly right past them, the explosions when they die from any contact (including GLOO shots and thrown objects) will harm the other ones next to them or even kill them, they do barely any damage and a single cluster can't do enough radiation damage to poison you in one go.

As for techno/telepaths, use EMPs and Nullwaves to knock out their abilities, GLOO to stop them and give yourself a damage boost for a shotgun blast, and Combat Focus if you have it. Use a Q-Beam to essentially whittle their health bar in half as well (the yellow will stay there, and if their red health dips to that level they explode). Weavers you can rush up on as well using a similar strategy. Obviously I'm playing human powers/combat focused, so adapt if you have to based on your build.

For npc's that have been brainwashed, is it worth trying to not kill them. In the cafeteria and the enemy in there just kills off the mind controlled humans right away. I've knocked out a few with the electric gun which doesn't kill them but am wondering if it keeps some paths open.

lol, i mean, don't you want to try to save as many people as you can?

major spoiler:
you'd fail the empathy test and be scrapped if you were "Morgan"

Cystoids are nothing. You can fly right past them, the explosions when they die from any contact (including GLOO shots and thrown objects) will harm the other ones next to them or even kill them, they do barely any damage and a single cluster can't do enough radiation damage to poison you in one go.

As for techno/telepaths, use EMPs and Nullwaves to knock out their abilities, GLOO to stop them and give yourself a damage boost for a shotgun blast, and Combat Focus if you have it. Use a Q-Beam to essentially whittle their health bar in half as well (the yellow will stay there, and if their red health dips to that level they explode). Weavers you can rush up on as well using a similar strategy. Obviously I'm playing human powers/combat focused, so adapt if you have to based on your build.

all very good advice.

i'm mostly on the human ability side as well, BUT i invested in Psychoshock because of its nullwave properties.

Jb

I was curious about that. i managed to take down the telepath without harming any of the humans, but they're all now unconscious. Is there something I need to do to wake them up?

I was curious about that. i managed to take down the telepath without killing any of the humans, but they're all now unconscious. Is there something I need to do to wake them up?

All you have to do is transition to another area and come back to the area where you rescued the mind controlled humans. They'll be gone and the security computer will them they've moved to a safe location

This game is very fucking hard. It doesnt take many hits for you to die even on easy with 150 HP upgraded and so on.

2 - 3 hits from a thermal phantom and youre ded.

This game is very fucking hard. It doesnt take many hits for you to die even on easy with 150 HP upgraded and so on.

2 - 3 hits from a thermal phantom and youre ded.

bruh, hit it with psychoshock or nullwave then blast it away with the shotgun

if you get the drop on it, it shouldn't even get a hit on you.

bruh, hit it with psychoshock or nullwave then blast it away with the shotgun

if you get the drop on it, it shouldn't even get a hit on you.

Basically my pshycoshock does nothing on enemies. Dunno if my save is bugged then or something. The shield i have just knocks enemies away for example. Dunno what nullwave is supposed to do either except nothing?

I am also constantly getting stuck atm too. Trying to get into a door, and doors are locked 24/7 in this game. Trying to back track to kill an enemy that has the door locked and the door to that enemy is also locked. Very tiring.

Truant

Nullwave debuffs enemies so they can't use their powers and ranged attacks. It's very useful in that you can get super close with your shotgun.

This game is basically locked doors simulator.

That is all i have been doing all game trying to get into the next locked door, by finding a way into another locked door or area.

And now i am super stuck and have no clue where to go next to open the next locked doors because i dont have enough leverage or hacking.

why don't you

a) upgrade your hacking/leverage

or

b) continue with the main quest until you are able to open those doors later

A) i dont have enough neuromods to upgrade those now.

B) It is the main quest i am trying to do.

I cant get to the main quest thing because the door is locked by some technopath that is behind another locked door. locked door, locked door and another locked door. This game is frustrating me now after being entertaining at first.

dlauv

Combat's starting to come together, but I can't help shaking the feeling that I'm Elder Scrolls-ing it. Which is to say, I'm using all kinds of jank tactics and menu fuckery.

If you go pure human, it seems like you're able to bypass that and play it like a standard fps.

I like dropping bananas from my inventory, turning into them, and sliding where I need to go. Or crashing through a window to get inside of a room where I'm too weak to pry the door open.

The game offers you so much to play around with.

GHG

Gold Member
This game is basically locked doors simulator.

That is all i have been doing all game trying to get into the next locked door, by finding a way into another locked door or area.

And now i am super stuck and have no clue where to go next to open the next locked doors because i dont have enough leverage or hacking.

If it's a main quest objective then you are missing something because they can all be completed without upgrades. Which objective and door is it?

If it's a main quest objective then you are missing something because they can all be completed without upgrades. Which objective and door is it?

After looking around some i found some pipes to climb.

aaaand stuck again after ANOTHER goddamned locked door. Need to find a key somwhere in a coolant chamber.. and cant find it.

FelipeMGM

Man, Its been hard for me not to impulse buy this game yet, Its 100% my kind of game, but Im waiting on a patch that fix most of the PS4 issues (especially the imput lag). Is there any word on when that will happen?

ultrazilla

Love the game, bought it for PC and for PS4(where it most definitely says it's PS4 Pro Enhanced). So I tweeted Arkane, Playstation and Yosp wondering if/where the PS4 Pro
enhancements can be pointed out. No response. Are we gonna let this go or did I miss Arkane say they would patch support in as they are most certainly using it as a selling feature towards Pro owners.

Prurient

Banned
After looking around some i found some pipes to climb.

aaaand stuck again after ANOTHER goddamned locked door. Need to find a key somwhere in a coolant chamber.. and cant find it.

I know the exact key card you mean. It's on a corpse right? Well, security stations track everyone on the station...

Djostikk

I don't understand people complaining about lack of recourses. I'm playing on normal, 20 hours in, maxed out leverage, hacking and other skills, including some Typhon ones. Ammo is not a problem anymore since I'm looking for every nook and cranny, crafting helps, too. So, just take your time, explore surroundings and play carefully.

d00d3n

Will I find any loot if I goo climb to the very top of the lobby? I am just about to head into psychotronics, so the elevator is locked.

GHG

Gold Member
I don't understand people complaining about lack of recourses. I'm playing on normal, 20 hours in, maxed out leverage, hacking and other skills, including some Typhon ones. Ammo is not a problem anymore since I'm looking for every nook and cranny, crafting helps, too. So, just take your time, explore surroundings and play carefully.

Yep, if you rush from objective to objective then you will make the game more difficult for yourself than it needs to be.

You can even find fabrication plans for key resources in the game, some of which appear more than once. If you're struggling for resources it's time to take a break from the main quest and just get exploring, you will be surprised what you can find.

RAIDEN1

So it is fair to say this game is likely to get a sequel? And that too which is published as compared to the original...

Had a ridiculous moment as soon as I entered Crew Quarters for the first time.

Apparently something called a Nightmare spawned that wanted to murder me real bad. I made a break for it, meanwhile every crew I passed had their head explode,
side quests were popping up randomly, complete and total chaos.

Is that scripted or random? It was fucking nuts.

Djostikk

Yep, if you rush from objective to objective then you will make the game more difficult for yourself than it needs to be.

You can even find fabrication plans for key resources in the game, some of which appear more than once. If you're struggling for resources it's time to take a break from the main quest and just get exploring, you will be surprised what you can find.

This is exactly what I did when I was in G.U.T.S. and instead of going to Arboretum I went exploring Shuttle and Cargo Bays. This game just keeps getting better.

ilium

I read that you can have 2
Typhon powers
before
turrets
attack you. I assume that means I can pick two different powers and upgrade them as much as I want, right?

Edit: Game is freaking amazing so far

Top Bottom