• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

pa22word

So it is fair to say this game is likely to get a sequel? And that too which is published as compared to the original...

With the polarizing reviews and the low (thus far) sales I really doubt it. We'll see if the US carries the game in may NPD, but given the seemingly tepid marketing I doubt Arkane alone has the brand to move units by themselves. Given DX, DH, and probably now this game have all underperformed it's probably curtain's call for the genre in the AAA space for a while. The only game we know of that might still be in development was that rumored Rebooted 2K Marin Bioshock game, but god only knows if it even still exists at this point if it ever did beyond the simple prototyping stage.

Good news is System Shock Rebirth is supposed to be out next year, and Underworld Ascendant is coming due as well. Then after that we have System Shock 3 and Consortium 2 to look forward to. If all four of those bomb though the genre is probably dead again. Gotta vote with your wallets people; it's the only language capitalism responds to.

pa22word

Would love this game on switch

Would pay for it again just to have it on the go

Game is 19GBs and has problems enough on the other consoles though, and the game uses /well/ over the 4GBs the switch has available for usage 100% of the time. I don't think it's possible without resorting to mid level loading (which I doubt is even plausible given the reactive nature of the levels) or level butchering ala DX ps2. This isn't even getting into whether or not the CPU could run it at all without catching on fire.

Even if the will was there, I just don't see it and even if it did it wouldn't be the same game that's on the other systems.

Jb

I found the romance between
Danielle and Abigail
to be very well done (and sad). Speaking of which, can anyone tell me where I can find the "
cook
" so I can end him? :)

pa22word

Danielle and Abigail
to be very well done (and sad). Speaking of which, can anyone tell me where I can find the "
cook

Hint: if you were trying to get off a space station, where might you first go?

Answer:
check escape pod locations

Truant

Danielle and Abigail
cook

Agreed. The whole crew quartes part, and the way the quests intersected was my favorite part of the game.

Was this the part Chris Avellone worked on? I feel it had the best characterization and writing.

Alright guys, just installed. First order of business: Throwing myself through the helicopter blades on the way to work.

Morgan Yu is no wage slave.

Oh my god. I feel like an idiot.

I've been running around for hours without any ammo for anything and only just realised I can recycle stuff I don't need, not just trash. I was so used to just hitting the one button to auto add trash I never realised I can use those Psy boosters which I don't need as I'm doing a 100% human run.

Bah.

Prurient

Banned
I read that you can have 2
Typhon powers
before
turrets
attack you. I assume that means I can pick two different powers and upgrade them as much as I want, right?

Edit: Game is freaking amazing so far

Hmm, I definitely feel like it happened to me after maxing out remote manipulation, so it might just be two slots, not two different powers.

Anung

Un Rama
Crew members are the only thing I need to grab for a platinum. Which seems fair enough but apparently there is 268 which makes getting them sound like a huge grind.

munroe

Crew members are the only thing I need to grab for a platinum. Which seems fair enough but apparently there is 268 which makes getting them sound like a huge grind.

Either it's bugged or it's by design but I got mine before I found everyone, maybe 75%

munroe

1st playthrough done just under 22hrs, went all human powers and kill everyone I could (still didn't get the achievement though).

Really enjoyed it, and I do hope there is a sequel, 2nd playthrough is going to be only Typhon powers, though I think that's going to be a difficult one especially as I won't have my trusty fully upgraded shotgun

Picked this up launch day but didn't have a lot of time to play till this weekend. About 4 hours in now and REALLY digging it.

Prey (to me anyway) doesn't make the best first impression though. It seemed almost too similar to Bioshock. Now that I'm a little ways in I think I'm hooked.

edit: I absolutely adore immersive sims. I have a tendency in stealth focused games tho (like deus ex and dishonored) to reload obsessively if I get spotted. I think I should go back to those games and engage with the combat a bit more. I think I would enjoy them more. What I played of Dishonored 2 was awesome.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I finished the demo last night - I liked the way it unfolded, and the whole intrigue. The initial surprise was very good and unexpected to me, but then the setting was spoiled by the name "Talos 1" being spelled out in one of the loading screens. I could guess right from the name where the game would be taking place, so going into the lobby wasn't much of a surprise, like it was clearly meant to be.

I'm bring this up because this was not the first time that the loading screen text would spoil a surprise unnecessarily in games. I really wish games would stop putting these pointless and immersion breaking bits of trivia onto loading screens.

Playing on PS4Pro, I have to say the visuals were underwhelming to what I've been used by now, but definitely serviceable, and with some cool moments. Framerate didn't seem to drop below 30, ever. Controls on PS4 at least, are honestly terribly marred by lag. I dread what it would be like having to aim in this game with any kind of precision - I think it would be game breaking. In the demo I could get by with just using wrench and running away, but I can't even imagine being able to aim with this kind of lag. It's my main worry about the game - is the lag any better in the final release?

These environmental hazards are a bit OP, especially with the enemies not knowing what to do about them. Like they keep getting zapped by electricity and just stand there like nothing. Both weavers I encountered in
deep storage
killed themselves like this..

Danielle and Abigail
cook
Yeah that stuff was great.

Gilzor

Has anyone encountered a movement bug on PC? Everything was fine until I did the long zero-G bit on the way to G.U.T.S. But now, Morgan won't walk straight, she constantly bobs left and right whether I'm using WASD or controller. It's annoying as hell.

got all the achievements last night. This game has some major frame rate problems towards the end on xbox. And the loading screens really become an annoyance when you have to run to different areas over and over nearing the end. I did a playthrough with human abilities, then a no needles playthrough(then just loaded a save a second before the end and got the typhon only achievement). I really hated playing without powers, it was not fun at all and pretty tough.

Overall its probably my 2nd favorite game this year, behind RE7

Has anyone encountered a movement bug on PC? Everything was fine until I did the long zero-G bit on the way to G.U.T.S. But now, Morgan won't walk straight, she constantly bobs left and right whether I'm using WASD or controller. It's annoying as hell.

You have radiation poisoning, my guy. Eat some Anti-Rad.

LordAmused

You probably caught some radiation. Need some anti-rad to clear it.

EDIT Beaten by 0.0451 seconds.

BeeDog

This game is bloody amazing. Just got to the
Arboreum (sp?) area right after G.U.T.S.
. Had the longest two gaming sessions in a long, long time. How much more of the game do I have?

This game is bloody amazing. Just got to the
Arboreum (sp?) area right after G.U.T.S.
. Had the longest two gaming sessions in a long, long time. How much more of the game do I have?

Tons, if you are playing it slow and methodical. That was only around the 50% point for me.

Azzanadra

Just starting the game, this is a bit of a spoiler-y question even though I feel like it shouldn't be because its revealed within the first 30 min of the game anyways:

I know January is also Morgan, so who is the better voice actor here? Male or Female Morgan? other than that I understand there is no tangible difference, so I will just pick whichever one is better in this department.

ilium

Have focused on sneaking, hacking, repair and strenght so far, and zero investment in any combat related skills yet I realized. Upgraded my shotgun's damage and capacy only once, but I image I should get a bit more competent at combat.

How can I get the most bang for my buck with minimal neuromod investment and is 1 point in Psychoshock enough for it to be useful?

Just starting the game, this is a bit of a spoiler-y question even though I feel like it shouldn't be because its revealed within the first 30 min of the game anyways:

I know January is also Morgan, so who is the better voice actor here? Male or Female Morgan? other than that I understand there is no tangible difference, so I will just pick whichever one is better in this department.

They're both pretty great actually, overall very strong voice acting in this game, I'm partial to Male Morgan, but that's just my preference.

teokrazia

This game has some of the most brilliant enemies I've faced in the last years, for concept and behaviour.

New favorite
Poltergeist

Johndoey

Banned

Both give equally strong performances. I somewhat prefer the male VO

Too many annoying things in the game for me to fully embrace and like it alot.

I play it on easy (come at me! :p) and i die, ALOT. Maybe i play the game wrong? But i dont feel that there should be a wrong way to play a game like this.

Like certain enemies feels like they are overtuned as hell and kill you in a few hits even on the easiest difficulty. It doesnt feel like you are progressing and getting stronger and instead i still feel as weak as at the start of the game. Since there will be more and stronger enemies that will kill you fast.

And resources are extremely limited and i run out all the time on ammo, health packs and so on. The game is getting more on my nerves and is frustrating than it is a fun and enjoyable experience.

I have gotten to the point where i have gotten into
Alex Yu's office and now i got killer robots after me that are also fucking deadly, on easy.

I dont know, some parts i enjoy like exploring the station, the art style, story and so on but too many things set it back for me unfortunately.

mbpm1

Too many annoying things in the game for me to fully embrace and like it alot.

I play it on easy (come at me! :p) and i die, ALOT. Maybe i play the game wrong? But i dont feel that there should be a wrong way to play a game like this.

Like certain enemies feels like they are overtuned as hell and kill you in a few hits even on the easiest difficulty. It doesnt feel like you are progressing and getting stronger and instead i still feel as weak as at the start of the game. Since there will be more and stronger enemies that will kill you fast.

And resources are extremely limited and i run out all the time on ammo, health packs and so on. The game is getting more on my nerves and is frustrating than it is a fun and enjoyable experience.

I have gotten to the point where i have gotten into
Alex Yu's office and now i got killer robots after me that are also fucking deadly, on easy.

I dont know, some parts i enjoy like exploring the station, the art style, story and so on but too many things set it back for me unfortunately.
what neuromods do you have installed? are you making use of stealth to get the drop on enemies/get past? are you recycling everything you find? are you finding as much stuff to recycle as you can or at least picking up most things you see when you enter a room?

what neuromods do you have installed? are you making use of stealth to get the drop on enemies/get past? are you recycling everything you find? are you finding as much stuff to recycle as you can or at least picking up most things you see when you enter a room?

Neuromods: http://imgur.com/a/pwDvZ

I rarely use stealth.

I try to pick up everything and recycle it.

Well i dunno, but when i set the difficulty to easy it is after i get frustrated and think the game is too hard. But when the game is harder than goddamn Bloodborne for me on easy somethings shitty to me.

GHG

Gold Member
Neuromods: http://imgur.com/a/pwDvZ

I rarely use stealth.

I try to pick up everything and recycle it.

Well i dunno, but when i set the difficulty to easy it is after i get frustrated and think the game is too hard. But when the game is harder than goddamn Bloodborne for me on easy somethings shitty to me.

You need to be using stealth to plan your attacks. You need to utilise the environment to your advantage. Set up turrets, throw things at enemies. Find a strategy that works for you, but if you try to go toe to toe with any enemy other than a basic mimic, you will end up wasting a lot of resources or getting killed.

Are you doing any side missions/exploring or are you just trying to blast through the main quest?

mbpm1

Your combination of mods also doesn't seem to be well suited for direct combat. If you want to rush in you need mobility to allow you to dodge attacks and get away easier. You might also wand the regeneration, the increased food benefits mod, or a typhon attack or phantom raising neuromod.

mbpm1

Dudes, i am playing the game on EASY, and it still requires caution, alot of strategy and so on?

The military operators part is basically the hardest part from what I hear. You're nearing end-game and now exploring/etc is basically put at a minimum. Get in and out quick. Fighting those things just makes them respawn.

The military operators part is basically the hardest part from what I hear. You're nearing end-game and now exploring/etc is basically put at a minimum. Get in and out quick. Fighting those things just makes them respawn.

Well yes those fuckers just melt me and now i just got tilted and dont wanna play the game.

I dont have anything to fight these shit enemies with either. The shotgun that has been my go to weapon barely scrapes them...

Seems i have played the game in a shitty way then and now im fucked.. fun times.

GHG

Gold Member
Dudes, i am playing the game on EASY, and it still requires caution, alot of strategy and so on?

Yes, this is an immersive sim. It's a thinking mans game in its nature.

The more you think about your actions, the more creative you are and the more you explore the more the game rewards you. It will make things easier for you and you will probably end up having a lot more fun with it.

These games are pretty much the definition of GIGO when it comes to how the player is treated.

mbpm1

Seems i have played the game in a shitty way then and now im fucked.. fun times.

It's less t hat you were playing it in a shitty way, more that you didn't play it in the best way for your playstyle.

if you wanted to go in a more full combat mode you needed to spec more on combat stats. I'm also surprised you're still on shotgun. You should be able to use emp or the stun gun to help at least.

Top Bottom