• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

rvy

Banned
What does the patch fix? And what new things does the Data Pack bring?

Cheers

Data Pack gets corrupted when installing, probably Konami server issues.
As far as the patch goes, yes, it's a different game now.

I need more time before I tell you about any improvements/issues. Shooting certainly seems to work much better though, no more floaty stuff from my 5 games.

ibu

Data Pack gets corrupted when installing, probably Konami server issues.
As far as the patch goes, yes, it's a different game now.

I need more time before I tell you about any improvements/issues. Shooting certainly seems to work much better though, no more floaty stuff from my 5 games.

Patch fixes cursor movement speed on game menu especially when subbing players.

Some minor framerate improvements. Still has a weird pause when shooting wide at times. Note: this is impressions from the ps3 version.

How much was 2013 on release day on steam does anyone remember, and can you get keys for PES on russian sites and the likes?

no idea on steam release. However Green Man gaming selling disc version for £17.99 atm

Jubbly

no idea on steam release. However Green Man gaming selling disc version for £17.99 atm

Can't find it there. In fact, this happens when I start to type Pro Evolution into the search box:

9YSYYx5.png

feel

Reading Bhatti's twitter, a community manager should not be that clueless about the fucking Steam release details in this day and age.

PaulLFC

Online seems to be up! Testing out the options now.

It seems 2 v 2 is in, at least I think so.

I set up an online friendly match room and there's an "add guest" option which then asked me to press start on the second controller. Did this, selected personal data for player 2 and now it says "Me + guest" as the home team.

Edit: More info. When you select ranked match, you have some filtering options:

Matchmaking level - any, +/-50, +/-100, +-200 (the number is the difference between your level and theirs)
Team class - any, Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, Class E - this splits the teams into classes, Class A is Spain, Argentina, Italy, Barca, Real, Juve, United, PSG and City. Class B is Liverpool etc, and so on.
Support setting level - no restrictions or 'similar level - you will not be paired with opponents who play with control support settings that greatly differ to yours' (assume this is manual passing etc)
Add guest user - "If set to on you will only be paired with others who also have a guest user" - sounds like ranked 2v2 to me!

ShogunX

vZDysjL.jpg

Kolo Toure.

Is this the worst player likeness ever?

Oh hang on here is another....

7nVBxnw.jpg

Rafael

Seriously shit like this should be fixed before the game gets released.

ShogunX

Huge likeness update being worked on according to bhatti

It's really not good enough anymore. Harsh but the game still has problems from a decade ago and it's no wonder that series has faded.

I've played a few matches and the gameplay is much better than anything since the PS2 days which obviously is the most important aspect of a football game. Yet we are late in 2013 with new consoles on the horizon and we still have PES as a wildly inconsistent product. Some of the presentation is terrible, a lot of the player stats are even worse and then we have laughable player likenesses.

Patching the game as they go isn't good enough in a time dominated by Fifa. My son wont even be able to play the game online on his own Xbox without paying a nice £7 fee for an online pass.

Desaan

I dunno, there is an expected level of presentation for modern games and for Konami that acceptable level has been far below tolerable for a long time. Give me 5 mins with a 2d image of a face and I can make a 3d model to wrap a texture, it's not hard or time consuming - so for Konami it just comes off lazy. It's why they hope the community patches will rescue this dismal and dying franchise every year. I buy FIFA and PES every iteration and end up playing x10 more FIFA. Konami make PES a hard game to love that's for sure.

ShogunX

I don't know what's worse. The player likeness or the fact he's rated 85.

Ratings are all over the place and I mean seriously shit.

Gareth Barry - 87.....which makes him better than Yaya Toure and a host of other top players. People like Giovinco are rated 90, Mikel is an 88, Terry is at 92, Kaka 88 - Am I reading these stats wrong or something? What the fuck is going on?

03sho

Gareth Barry - 87.....which makes him better than Yaya Toure and a host of other top players. People like Giovinco are rated 90, Mikel is an 88, Terry is at 92, Kaka 88 - Am I reading these stats wrong or something? What the fuck is going on?

Yup, I gathered from the demo that this was the case.

Took one look at Ashley Young's rating... And knew he wasn't the only one that's massively overrated on the game.

ShogunX

Yup, I gathered from the demo that this was the case.

Took one look at Ashley Young's rating... And knew he wasn't the only one that's massively overrated on the game.

Some ratings could make sense in the context of other high ratings but then you come across Chamakh being better than Giroud, Ryan Giggs is sitting on a fucking 88.

feel

Those are placeholder faces, they're not trying there so I don't understand the mockery. They should be criticized for not having the faces in place in time not for their lack of ability to do some good faces, which they've proven time and time again they're good at. I specially have enjoyed a certain fifa fan here mocking those placeholder generic faces from pes 2014 when EA sports often gets similar results even when they try their hardest to get close to the real thing.

PaulLFC

It's been said many times throughout the thread that faces will be updated throughout the year. Even so, faces are hardly what I judge whether it's a good football game or not on, I doubt many others do either. It's about how it plays.

I think after the patch today it plays even better. Responsiveness is better, shooting is better, it just feels more complete. Only thing I've noticed is that some headers seem a bit overpowered. That's not really the right word, they're not too fast, they just have slightly weird trajectories.

New data pack is available to download. Be interesting to see what this does.
It's just two official balls, one for the Argentinian league and the other for the Chilean league.

ShogunX

It's been said many times throughout the thread that faces will be updated throughout the year. Even so, faces are hardly what I judge whether it's a good football game or not on, I doubt many others do either. It's about how it plays.

I think after the patch today it plays even better. Responsiveness is better, shooting is better, it just feels more complete. Only thing I've noticed is that some headers seem a bit overpowered. That's not really the right word, they're not too fast, they just have slightly weird trajectories.

It's just two official balls, one for the Argentinian league and the other for the Chilean league.

I've already said above that gameplay is king when it comes to football games. However this doesn't give Konami an excuse to poorly research players as well as have placeholder faces in the game. The product as a whole is very lazy in places and again as I said above it's now more obvious than ever why people have dumped the series in favour of the prettier Fifa. This isn't a budget release so people are paying full price for a half finished game.

People are always so willing to look beyond the laziness and give PES a free pass (mainly thanks to the great work from the community) but these minor gripes all add up to leave everybody championing the gameplay in order to ignore the rest. This late in the game it all has to be about the full package and once again it's lacking.

Really? Seems to be taking a while. May as well cancel then, thanks.

Vazduh

Has anyone tried the game before and after applying 1.01 patch? I've read on WENB and Adam's twitter that catch up is no longer there and that shooting and responsiveness have been improved.

PaulLFC

Has anyone tried the game before and after applying 1.01 patch? I've read on WENB and Adam's twitter that catch up is no longer there and that shooting and responsiveness have been improved.
Yes. Not played much post-patch but shooting and responsiveness are definitely improved. Haven't played enough to comment on the catch up bug, although I didn't notice it much to begin with so I'm not the best person to comment anyway.

jordisok

Decided to dip on the PC disc version! The steam confusion is seriously odd, but I'm in no hurry to have the game tied to steam anyways.

Some of these faces are absolutely priceless, anyone remember how Luke Young was black on pes for the longest time?!

Spat_triate

OVR Ratings have always been shite since it was introduced. The Stat Hex is a much better way of approximating a player's skill.

Cigol

At least the attributes mean something. There are football games where they serve as nothing more than window dressing. Practically every pes has needed and benefited from community patching so I don't see the problem personally.

madmackem

Cant wait for this, im back in on pes been away since 08. Can you play 2v2 online like 2 online friends taking on 2 others online?. This is my fav game mode hope its in.

Jack cw

jack, will u get it for pc too?

Of course. Was actually going for a steam version but it appears Konami lacks nearly everything in their digital distribution department... I might go for the disc. My local dealer got it yesterday and i'm tempted.

Juicy Bob

I don't know enough about actual football for player likenesses to matter to me. :p

I just love all the Edit features. I love the idea about creating my own imaginary football utopia through this game.

rvy

Banned
Anyone with the 360 version can confirm if the Data Pack is working properly today? I'm not home and would like to know.

I wish I would find a digital download link. I've been up all night trying to find a link for France, Germany or Spain but nothing. I have bought Pes from gamesplanet since 2011, I am baffled its not there this year. I want nothing to do with steam.

Rumor has it that some files were unnacessible to modders(kitserver) and patches in the steam version of pes 2013. This makes it impossible for me to buy it since this game absolutely has to be modified. When I was playing Winning Eleven 8 on PS2 I was able to get option files.

PaulLFC

DerZuhälter;82486605 said:
It looks nothing like that.
Ah okay, so we're taking one person's evidence of how the PC version looks are we? A platform where configurations can vary wildly and options mean that the game looks different from system to system? I was pointing out that different options produce clearly different results - I can say from experience of the PS3 version's replay mode (where the graphical effects are turned up, hence the slowdown), that with a good PC there is absolutely nothing stopping it putting out the graphics shown in those images.

I wish I would find a digital download link. I've been up all night trying to find a link for France, Germany or Spain but nothing. I have bought Pes from gamesplanet since 2011, I am baffled its not there this year. I want nothing to do with steam.

It seams that the only way to get a digital download is through Steam but Konami doesn´t have a clue when the game will be up there. This is absolutely ridiculous and stinks of amateur shit. Day one patches, placeholder faces, fucked up transfers and ratings.
If most games tried shit like this, we would come down on them for doing such a terrible work but most people here are passive as hell, always finding excuses for the mess Konami does.
I´m willing to give PES a try this year but the headache I´m getting from trying to find a place to buy it for the PC might not be worth it. Come next week and I know I can easily find a football game that I enjoy playing, with some good online modes (don´t care much for single player) and that I won´t have trouble buying the game day one.

Top Bottom