• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

• Is there a way to actually pressure an opponent by getting your player to press on him? So far, the only thing I've seen is how to posture right preparing for a tackle, but nothing comparable to the pressure mechanic seen in FIFA.
  • How do I manually select a player quickly?

PaulLFC

• Is there a way to actually pressure an opponent by getting your player to press on him? So far, the only thing I've seen is how to posture right preparing for a tackle, but nothing comparable to the pressure mechanic seen in FIFA.
1. This varies depending on position. Sometimes just holding X / A will pressure, if your player is further away you might have to tap sprint a couple of times to get him to move in and attempt a tackle - don't hold it, just tap it a couple of times when your player is near theirs (I've no idea why sprint is the equivalent of a pressure button, but it seems to work). You can also move the right stick when near the opposition to make your player move in that direction and try to get the ball. Or press X / Square to call in a second player to pressure them.

2. L1 / LB is change player. I think you can alter the sensitivity in settings (button config -> support settings). You can also disable auto switching here as well.

Have you tried holding X (PS3 Controller) and the Left Stick away from the approaching attacker?

ibu

Phew, finally done the review for the game. Should go up sometime tomorrow. No online reviewed as the servers are not live yet. So I'll do a follow up on that when they are. I could easily have written a 6000 word review... but I've had to cut it down so much. Sorry in advance for not covering every facet of the game. But I'll post a link when live.

king zell

My review is up:

pes2014-review.png

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/181336/

Since it's in Arabic here is a summery:

+ unprecedented animation and physics in a football game
+ Fox Engine makes everything looks much better
+ Gameplay and player's reaction and speed simulates real football like nothing before
+ Fans are more active and their atmosphere is almost real
+ The best application of through ball in a football game... allows the player to make very smart opportunities to score

- Lack of content and depth of modes
- Missing more important licenses
- Fox engine is ahead of its time... sometimes affect performance

Note: Online mode was not available for review.

Kikujiro

Thanks for the summary, sounds like what I was expecting. They decided to focus on the gameplay for this first Fox-Engine version, for the next year we can expect something really good.

feel

Xbox demo is now available for free. Downloading to see if it's better input lag wise.
(Quoting myself for context)

Performance is a bit better on the xbox demo, easily noticeable in the replays and other scenes, and after a few games I haven't noticed framerate dips while playing. IQ is slightly better and there seems to be a tiny bit less input lag, which might be linked to the slightly better performance coupled with the fact that to me it seems like there's much less input lag during training modes (in both ps and xb demos) where there's almost nothing going on except a bunch of cones.

If the game doesn't have the 2 v 2 option I'm not buying it. The way people act on 1 v 1 games grinds me and 11 v 11 will be a clusterfuck like FIFA. Poor form not having online available for reviewers.

Tecl0n

If the game doesn't have the 2 v 2 option I'm not buying it./QUOTE]

It has it. First, it's "logical" if you have 11 v 11 to have lower numbers available.

Also, you can lock the number of participants to 4 in a room (This is seen in the trailer, while not explained it's seen in the foreground while browsing through the interface) which, AFAIK, 2 v 2 is the only mode 4 people can play,

rvy

Banned
Some impressions from the review code which arrived yesterday.

The bad:

• Keepers still have issues, they lose awareness of the ball when something that isn't supposed to happens does. Crosses that are targeted to the goal for example, they let in some turkeys.
  • Shooting is harder than the demo, I'm doing a lot of floaty shooting.
  • 1 bar for passing is hard to control, 2 bars is too automatic.
  • Some player awareness issues still remain.
  • Some goals are very unsatisfying because they have 3 or 4 animations for controlled shoots and most of the shooting animation inside the penalty are bad, they don't have much "oomph!".
  • A lot of missing faces, Benfica for example doesn't feature a single one.

The good:

• It's fucking fun. It's more refined than the 2nd demo.
  • Magical moments are.. magical, lol.
  • AI is fucking relentless on higher difficulties. Strangely enough, Top player is more balanced than Superstar and Professional
  • When you come to grips with the controls, it really shines. PES lost its arcade roots, you need to take various circumstances into account in 2014.

Waiting for the day 1 patch to see what changes/is improved. Right now it's alright, but the potential is immense. They just need to sort some stuff out.

Hasney

I'm really doubting this will be out on Steam day 1 like they promised. I don't even think it has a SteamDB entry yet.

Jack cw

It's the same in FIFA. I guess it's impossible to create good keepers.

But its what makes the game fun though. I agree its incredibly difficult to programm authentic keeper AI and its really annoying if you play the CL final in ML and concede a goal in extra time because of this shit :D

bigol

Some impressions from the review code which arrived yesterday.

The bad:

• Keepers still have issues, they lose awareness of the ball when something that isn't supposed to happens does. Crosses that are targeted to the goal for example, they let in some turkeys.
  • Shooting is harder than the demo, I'm doing a lot of floaty shooting.
  • 1 bar for passing is hard to control, 2 bars is too automatic.
  • Some player awareness issues still remain.
  • Some goals are very unsatisfying because they have 3 or 4 animations for controlled shoots and most of the shooting animation inside the penalty are bad, they don't have much "oomph!".
  • A lot of missing faces, Benfica for example doesn't feature a single one.

The good:

• It's fucking fun. It's more refined than the 2nd demo.
  • Magical moments are.. magical, lol.
  • AI is fucking relentless on higher difficulties. Strangely enough, Top player is more balanced than Superstar and Professional
  • When you come to grips with the controls, it really shines. PES lost its arcade roots, you need to take various circumstances into account in 2014.

Waiting for the day 1 patch to see what changes/is improved. Right now it's alright, but the potential is immense. They just need to sort some stuff out.

Keepers,shooting,passing are all things that should be judged after many many matches playing with many different teams.
Since in Pes every team is different from the other thanks to individuality,players skills are very important.

Some keepers are good and they do no awful mistakes, others react quicker but are less precise in their savings,etc
shooting and passing is the same,they rely on stats,even at 0 bars. So the difficulty of passing and shooting depends on player ability

The rest of your points i agree,both bad and good.I only would wait more time before saying anything definitive about keepers,passing and shooting

Cigol

I'm really doubting this will be out on Steam day 1 like they promised. I don't even think it has a SteamDB entry yet.
If it isn't I'm not going to fall for a bait and switch. My willpower is strong... I have resisted the charms of GTAV thus far and konami are not having me double dip on the same platform. It'll come out on steam eventually.

Jack cw

Anybody know what happend to the Steam version?
I guess Konami jsut wont put it up. Is the retail version steamworks?

Hasney

Is the retail version steamworks?

I don't believe so, none of the key sites are stating Steam is required.

There was an entry in the SteamDB for "Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Retail Version" so I don't know if retail keys could be activated on Steam eventually.

Jack cw

I don't believe so, none of the key sites are stating Steam is required.

There was an entry in the SteamDB for "Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Retail Version" so I don't know if retail keys could be activated on Steam eventually.

Thats a bummer... No choice but to go for the disc then...

bigol

Eurogamer review

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-18-pes-2014-review

PES 2014 is a methodical sports game with deep systems that reward practice and experimentation; the sort of game that will appeal to people who read Zonal Marking rather than Sun Sport. It's never going to beat FIFA for glitz and polish - charms that are no less valid when it comes to how you invest your leisure time - but PES has the potential to become a very deep obsession, where even a 4-0 drubbing has meaning.

/10

Godisageek.com review

http://www.godisageek.com/2013/09/pro-evolution-soccer-2014-review/

VERDICT: It was a bold move to keep PES current gen and not take the yearly installment to the PS4 and Xbox One. Sadly it is likely to be a move that sees it get eclipsed by its closest rival yet again – which is a crushing disappointment, given that this is a clear improvement on last year, and genuinely one of the most enjoyable, intuitive and clever soccer simulations of the generation. It deserves a wider audience, with Konami clearly having a corking engine on their hands in the Fox. Still, minor issues aside, this is a great way for the series to bow out on the current hardware.

/10

Jack cw

Eurogamer review
Godisageek.com review

Nice to read all the positive reviews. It was pretty clear from the begining that this will be the best PES to date. Really hyped right now!
Gamespot.com have it a 6? Jesus, harsh, ign. Com 8.4.

Dont want to insult anyone, but gamespot isnt exactly known for their competence of football, or how they call it soccer. The demo of the game is a good indicator of what the game is able to achieve.

spanna

This is what I cant get my head around with reviews. Especially sports games.
If the reviewer is or isn't interested in the sport of the game then surely that will have the biggest impact on the review/score over everything else?

If they aren't interested or have no knowledge of the sport then they cant possibly know how well the sport game has recreated it?

liger05

Keepers,shooting,passing are all things that should be judged after many many matches playing with many different teams.
Since in Pes every team is different from the other thanks to individuality,players skills are very important.

Some keepers are good and they do no awful mistakes, others react quicker but are less precise in their savings,etc
shooting and passing is the same,they rely on stats,even at 0 bars. So the difficulty of passing and shooting depends on player ability

The rest of your points i agree,both bad and good.I only would wait more time before saying anything definitive about keepers,passing and shooting

It’s not a stats thing. Pes has always had the problem where keepers make the most basic errors like pat weak shots straight back into the middle of the penalty area instead of catching the damn ball. That’s a not a stats thing!!

Top Bottom