• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

Jack cw

This is what I cant get my head around with reviews. Especially sports games.
If the reviewer is or isn't interested in the sport of the game then surely that will have the biggest impact on the review/score over everything else?

If they aren't interested or have no knowledge of the sport then they cant possibly know how well the sport game has recreated it?
To quote Eurogamer, the gamespot guy is obviously a Sun Sports viewer.

Massa

Don't see why some of you are personally attacking the Gamespot reviewer when a lot of die hard PES fans feel the exact same way about the new engine.

NHale

Don't see why some of you are personally attacking the Gamespot reviewer when a lot of die hard PES fans feel the exact same way about the new engine.

I agree. People need to understand the reviewer before making blind accusations. Mark Walton also reviewed PES 2013 and gave it an 8.0 so it's not like he's a FIFA fanboy. (Also people shouldn't discredit the review because Gamespot = USA, because they have people in the UK and AU, and in this case the reviewer is from the UK....)

IRC he always said he likes games to be arcadey since it gives the better controls = more fun, so it makes sense that he gave PES 2014 a lower score.

While I disagree with him in this regard, I can definitely see how a person would want more precise controls vs. realistic physics and momentum. For those that like more direct controls, PES 2014 is not an improvement compared to PES 2013.

ibu

Darkzero.co.uk review

(aka mine *cough*)

Spending your time building up play from the back, moving your players tactically like chess pieces, you’ll feel quite achieved when a plan comes together and your hard work and graft results in even the most mundane of tap ins. Those moments are what elicit great joy when playing PES, the moments when you want to pump your fist in the air as you look all around you for someone to share your joy, your moment.

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/pro-evolution-soccer-2014-ps3/

/10

Look at it this way: whether it's a 6 or a 9, it probably won't matter to most anyway.. PES fans who see the 6 score will buy it anyway, and FIFA fans who see the 9 will go 'how's that Manchester Red lol'. It was the same ten years ago.

ibu

Look at it this way: whether it's a 6 or a 9, it probably won't matter to most anyway.. PES fans who see the 6 score will buy it anyway, and FIFA fans who see the 9 will go 'how's that Manchester Red lol'. It was the same ten years ago.

*Whisper*
Manchester United are the only licensed English team (so far).

But I totally agree with your sentiment.

*Whisper*
Manchester United are the only licensed English team (so far).

But I totally agree with your sentiment.

Hell, if anything I think it reinforces my point! :p

Anyways, I think I'm going to get both eventually - PES at launch and FIFA later. FIFA will go on sale, plus stutters like crazy on my 7950.

Hell, if anything I think it reinforces my point! :p

Anyways, I think I'm going to get both eventually - PES at launch and FIFA later. FIFA will go on sale, plus stutters like crazy on my 7950.

I have never understood how this happens. PES 2013 runs perfectly for me on PC but FIFA has micro-stutters every few minutes. It's horribly annoying.

rvy

Banned
A patch and Data Pack 1 available for 360. Data Pack is taking a long ass time, maybe not a lot of servers are up.

Edit, PS3 up as well.

03sho

A patch and Data Pack 1 available for 360. Data Pack is taking a long ass time, maybe not a lot of servers are up.

Edit, PS3 up as well.

What does the patch fix? And what new things does the Data Pack bring?

Cheers

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
If its up on steam on launch ill probably bite, wonder how much it will be

I agree. People need to understand the reviewer before making blind accusations. Mark Walton also reviewed PES 2013 and gave it an 8.0 so it's not like he's a FIFA fanboy. (Also people shouldn't discredit the review because Gamespot = USA, because they have people in the UK and AU, and in this case the reviewer is from the UK....)

IRC he always said he likes games to be arcadey since it gives the better controls = more fun, so it makes sense that he gave PES 2014 a lower score.

While I disagree with him in this regard, I can definitely see how a person would want more precise controls vs. realistic physics and momentum. For those that like more direct controls, PES 2014 is not an improvement compared to PES 2013.

maybe He's trying to play it like the old games, I'm sure alot of us got punished when we tried our old habits with the new engine, the game only started to click for me once I stopped all thiat and just played it like real football probing for space, passing it around

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
watching some guy streaming now with english commentary, menus are in a language im not familiar with, maybe Greek. Hes streaming my favourite mode from years go by, master league :D

http://www.twitch.tv/policymaker

Gaaah, can't decide on Fifa or PES this year. Love the shooting physics in Fifa, but I've been buying that series for the last few years and I'm a bit fed up with it. PES on the other hand feels newer, but something is 'off' with the way you dribble and to be honest the difference between 2014 and the older versions isn't that big. Help me, GAF!

Mr Cola

Gaaah, can't decide on Fifa or PES this year. Love the shooting physics in Fifa, but I've been buying that series for the last few years and I'm a bit fed up with it. PES on the other hand feels newer, but something is 'off' with the way you dribble and to be honest the difference between 2014 and the older versions isn't that big. Help me, GAF!

You are only going to get one opinion in a pes thread, and it would be out of place and rude for me to offer another. Try the demos.

You are only going to get one opinion in a pes thread, and it would be out of place and rude for me to offer another. Try the demos.

I think that the PES crowd usually is a bit more objective than the Fifa fans. I've tried both demos, but it's not near enough to make a fair judgement and the PES game is usually ALOT better than the demos they put out.

Mr Cola

I think that the PES crowd usually is a bit more objective than the Fifa fans. I've tried both demos, but it's not near enough to make a fair judgement and the PES game is usually ALOT better than the demos they put out.

Well if they are close and PES is always better than the demos that would indicate a clear choice? Not trying to be dickish but based on what you have said and I were in the same position id choose PES.

Well if they are close and PES is always better than the demos that would indicate a clear choice? Not trying to be dickish but based on what you have said and I were in the same position id choose PES.

They're close, but I also love Ultimate Team and most of my friends are probably getting Fifa.

Do we know that the guy streaming is maxing out his settings? Can't view the stream so can't comment.

I don't think there is any point in judging a twitch stream. It is very CPU intensive to stream and the streamer almost certainly has dropped the settings.

Mr Cola

They're close, but I also love Ultimate Team and most of my friends are probably getting Fifa.

Well fifa has the game modes I like, thats why I love playing it, it also has the upgrade feature wherebye if you buy it for 360 or ps3 you can upgrade to a next gen version for a fraction of the price when the consoles come out. So in effect you get a half off the next gen version. I have only played the 2 demos for evo, it feels like it would be good to play if i took the time to learn it, but the major issue I have is fifa has online clubs mode, which is super important to me.

Well fifa has the game modes I like, thats why I love playing it, it also has the upgrade feature wherebye if you buy it for 360 or ps3 you can upgrade to a next gen version for a fraction of the price when the consoles come out. So in effect you get a half off the next gen version. I have only played the 2 demos for evo, it feels like it would be good to play if i took the time to learn it, but the major issue I have is fifa has online clubs mode, which is super important to me.

Yeah, fuck... I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to play online with a friend drinking some beers... I got to reconsider what game to get I guess...

Yes there is 11v11 gameplay online. So presumably you can play with a friend online.

Okay, but isn't that like 11 individual players versus other players? What I mean is; can you play this game cooperatively with 1-2 friend in the ordinary game mode? Something like in Fifa.

Tecl0n

Okay, but isn't that like 11 individual players versus other players? What I mean is; can you play this game cooperatively with 1-2 friend in the ordinary game mode? Something like in Fifa.

There is evidence to it, yet nothing is still "officially announced" For example you can restrict the game room to 4 players.

Jack cw

DerZuhälter;82490337 said:
C'mon people, it's PES and running silky smooth 60 FPS on almost any rig. And PES always just had 3 options. Low, Mid, High. It's not like there are many options.

The you should go with the pesedit patch. It allows you to tweak the level of detail, AI balance etc. If you have a Nvidia card you can also turn on any fancy effect like 8xSGSSAA, supersamling, AA etc. PES13 looked incredible with everything enabled on max settings. Requires a strong rig though.

maxxpower

I don't think I wanna play another PES game that has "issues" and bugs. That's what has ruined the gameplay experience with the past two PES games.

PaulLFC

C'mon people, it's PES and running silky smooth 60 FPS on almost any rig. And PES always just had 3 options. Low, Mid, High. It's not like there are many options.
There's a pretty big difference between low and high... plus this is a new engine so we have no idea of what options it includes. I also have no idea why you're ignoring the PC screenshots posted a page or two back.

velociraptor

PS3 version looks damn good.

PC version is only going to look better.

I don't see what is the big deal.

Top Bottom