• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So... can someone tell me how does advanced shooting work compared to basic shooting?

Its a similar concept to basic where you point with the left stick while shooting, with the big difference that the shooting direction is not relative to your position. If you put the left stick to the LEFT you will shoot left, if you push it left up, you will hit the upper left part of the goal. Additionally, if you push it all the way, you are more likely to hit the bar, so you'll need to make sure not to push the stick too far.

I really dont like it and think basic is way more intuitive. You walk into the direction of the goal with the left stick, and then you need to push it BACK to shoot at the left side of the goal? Meh.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone able to finish the Expert training "1-2 pass"? I am pretty sure I am doing it correctly, but it always fails once I make the second pass. (And yes, I press triangle before the ball reaches him).

Cigol

Very disappointed with the game as a whole. The gameplay shows a lot of promise for the next generation, since they'll have more scope for improving the AI, but feels like someone pushed this out the door for a quick buck.

2013 is the better game it could just do with the 2014 gameplay enhancements, but whatever. No refund so im stick with it now. Want to say it's worth it for just the gameplay but can't. First ROME 2, now this... I hope FM2014 isn't a dud.

I guess this is my punishment for not buying GTA lol

Ok, so I finally turned around on this game - won the world championship with Austria on the Top Player difficulty and had some of the most exciting and nerve-wrecking matches in a football game ever. Once I understood that you shouldn't run all the time, and how defending and dribbling works, everything just fell into place. :D

Now, there are still three big issues with the gameplay that they need to fix ASAP:

- The catch-up bug. It took me a long time just to develop ways of playing that avoid such situations all together.
- Referees and fouls. The game misses way too many foul plays, especially when it is purely physics-based fouls (e.g., running into the opponent).
- Keeper AI is not very good.

Aside from these three problems this is amongst the most realistic, most rewarding football games ever. Once online play works properly this game will be a huge time sink for me.

Toma

Anyone here on PS3 up for a match?

Spat_triate

Ok, so I finally turned around on this game - won the world championship with Austria on the Top Player difficulty and had some of the most exciting and nerve-wrecking matches in a football game ever. Once I understood that you shouldn't run all the time, and how defending and dribbling works, everything just fell into place. :D

Now, there are still three big issues with the gameplay that they need to fix ASAP:

- The catch-up bug. It took me a long time just to develop ways of playing that avoid such situations all together.
- Referees and fouls. The game misses way too many foul plays, especially when it is purely physics-based fouls (e.g., running into the opponent).
- Keeper AI is not very good.

Aside from these three problems this is amongst the most realistic, most rewarding football games ever. Once online play works properly this game will be a huge time sink for me.

These are the same fucking problems that they've been having since PES 2008. In addition player teammates are as dumb as ever. I really don't understand Konami's philosophy when it comes to teammate AI.

Playing against the CPU, the gulf between your defensive teammates and the CPU defense is laughable. To make matters worse, the player switching is borked (as usual), meaning that you have to fight against the controls to defend properly.

Guess I'll just wait for modders to fix the game AGAIN.

Huh? You can change between 3 customizable presets with the up/down dpad. You could make these 3 to be an attacking, defending and normal preset and can then switch on the fly between them.

I use presets to completely change formations on the fly. Wasn't that its original purpose?

Spat_triate

Huh? You can change between 3 customizable presets with the up/down dpad. You could make these 3 to be an attacking, defending and normal preset and can then switch on the fly between them.

I use presets to completely change formations on the fly. Wasn't that its original purpose?

Don't forget that you can hold Left or Right on the dpad when you're defending to set how deep your back line plays. You can use that trick to quickly pull the defenders back to the penalty area in a pinch.

Toma

I dont find it all that useful to completely change the formations as that means some players will end up in less favorable positions (from RW to RM if I change from 4-2-1-3 to 4-2-3-1), so I use them for my how offensive/defensive my team is playing with the same formation in 3 slots.

Toma

How can I adjust player positions in Master League Online? I can only change the formation, but I see lots of people who adjusted the standard formations and rearranged the positions slightly.

Help?

I dont find it all that useful to completely change the formations as that means some players will end up in less favorable positions (from RW to RM if I change from 4-2-1-3 to 4-2-3-1),

Well, In the tactics menu you specify exactly where you want them to be.

Seriously, who asked for this change?? Do they do this stuff on purpose just to have something to "fix" next year?

rvy

Banned
Of course there isn't,never heard of it.

So, because you've never heard of it, it doesn't exist? Makes sense.
When was the last time that you dealt directly with FIFA for issues such as this? Wait, I know. Never. But let's keep on saying that Konami are lazy and Bhatti is lying, it's easy

Anyway, BAL is fucking boring for the first few games. I guess I'm spoiled after playing 2k since 2k11, but this is shit. Still having fun and whatever, but I wish they'd hurry up with the official patches for new content/fixes and OptionFiles from the community so I can start ML and a proper BAL.

Toma

Just had a great match in MLO. Started it up, and after 5 ingame minutes it bugged out so that neither one of us could press any button. The game was running and the players just stood there because neither me nor my opponent could move or pass.

It also takes ridiculously long to find/start an MLO match. With that awesome net code, I have no clue how 11v11 is supposed to work.

Edit: And where do I find the tactical settings you speak of?

Toma

Anyway, BAL is fucking boring for the first few games. I guess I'm spoiled after playing 2k since 2k11, but this is shit. Still having fun and whatever, but I wish they'd hurry up with the official patches for new content/fixes and OptionFiles from the community so I can start ML and a proper BAL.

Sort of enjoying BAL since I changed the camera to the normal one. Already unlocked my first extra skill, but I really need more stamina.

rvy

Banned
Sort of enjoying BAL since I changed the camera to the normal one. Already unlocked my first extra skill, but I really need more stamina.

Yeah, I had to do that too. No idea why, but the player camera both on FIFA and PES simply isn't user firendly.

How do you unlock skills? Stats improvement from training = new skills?

Toma

Yeah, I had to do that too. No idea why, but the player camera both on FIFA and PES simply isn't user firendly.

How do you unlock skills? Stats improvement from training = new skills?

There is a training option below the normal stats. Remove a point from the stats, put it down there, and then you can choose a skill/ability.

Usually in a few hours in the comments some user is gonna upload it there and give the link.

Any alt links yet? I have to admit I was surprised to read this, from my years of venturing to PESEdit, they seem to remove any kind of alt links other than the ones provided on the site for some reason.

arkon

Any news of a PC demo release? Or a date? I want to try this out before I burn any money on it.

Please be good.

How exactly can they remain "Online compatible" when they change so many things? Given that they updated some teams to include recent transfers it doesn't seem to be mere cosmetic changes. Do the other players have to have the same patch installed? (Sorry. Still new to all this PES stuff)

I think online-compatible means it doesn't break online play. Squads go back to default.

I used to play PES 2010 online with custom kits, logos and correct names just fine. Only I would see all that stuff, not the other player.

Perkel

Banned
Ok. Tried few matches in different difs, Some become a legend etc. (on PC)

First of all.

Animations. They are just fucking amazing. Sure there are times when it can be janky like in every football game before but there are times when animation system just works so well that you would believe people are actually playing there.

New fox engine definitely shines. Faces and what is most important hair are awesome. Naturally whole game is still created as current gen which shows in times (even on PC) like low quality textures here and there and awful copy paste viewers in super low res. I can't wait for 2015 being proper next gen title.

Gameplay. AI still has issues and defense drives me mad often not actually defending (wtf!). Still football is all about fun from playing game. And thanks to those new animations and that physic system in place suddenly it just feels amazing to pull off some tricks or just do few passes. As of high playing i still didn't get much time with it.

Now if we compare it to 2008 which was first "next-gen" PES 2014 is definetely good game and this is good since they will have time to improve it till 2015 which should be proper next gen game.

edit:

They still didn't fix terrible UI. Fuck old PES games had simple UI and practical.

PaulLFC

The goalkeepers are straight from the PS1 era in terms of AI. So many basic and silly mistakes.
I don't know how I feel about keepers. On the one hand they make idiotic mistakes (like diving under shots right at them that they could save if they just stood still, or once where I had a weak shot from about 30 yards with Gerrard, it turned out more like a lob - the keeper was right underneath it and just had to catch it, instead he flapped at it and palmed it into the corner. It was weird. On the other hand, they pull off brilliant saves at times, they can make double saves, and they seem to push a lot more shots round the post and over the bar now instead of back into play. They're better than they were I reckon, but still need improvement.
The PESedit patch is for PC

Are there any great PS3 option files out yet?
Not right now, but GTM's option file should be out within 24 hours. Check @gtmpesworld for updates.

Pachimari

Alright, thanks PaulLFC.

I just played my first 3 matches, 2 of them in the Liga BBVA and the other a friendly match. I'm Real Madrid C.F. in all of them because I'm a madridista.

Anyway, there were already 3 fatal goal keeper errors in the first two matches. Like, when the goalkeeper decided to throw the ball right at my attacker (Benzema) so I could score a free goal. I have never seen anything like it. It was against Real Betis and on Professional but I have never seen anything like it - earlier in the match I shot straight at him but he just let the ball pass into the net, weird.

It's still kinda hard to do dribbles and I definitely see, that the defenders catch up even to some of the fastest of players like Cristiano and Bale.

Honestly, I expected to be more impressed than I am now. Actually, I were more impressed by PES 2013 and really enjoyed it. Right now, I also enjoy PES 2014 but for different reasons. It's actually more for the technical achievements as the animations are some of the finest in a football game, I like the collisions and absolutely love the shirt physics.

The R1x2 dash is still working to great lengths, as I were zig-zagging from midfield up to the opponents box and scored a goal on a single run with Bale.

So far I like PES 2014, I really do - I just expected to be more overwhelmed and impressed than I am. I just need that OP file to add real clubs, shirts and names. :)

I don't know how I feel about keepers. On the one hand they make idiotic mistakes (like diving under shots right at them that they could save if they just stood still, or once where I had a weak shot from about 30 yards with Gerrard, it turned out more like a lob - the keeper was right underneath it and just had to catch it, instead he flapped at it and palmed it into the corner. It was weird. On the other hand, they pull off brilliant saves at times, they can make double saves, and they seem to push a lot more shots round the post and over the bar now instead of back into play. They're better than they were I reckon, but still need improvement.

Not right now, but GTM's option file should be out within 24 hours. Check @gtmpesworld for updates.
I have only played 3 matches but so far all of the opponents keepers have punched the ball back into play.

Anyone else hates how the game decides for you when you run?
Sometimes no matter how hard you press the run button the player simple refuses to do so. Like some people described it, it feels like they're running through mud or something.

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
Liking the game, but some of the faces are well off. I support Crystal Palace and wasn't expecting anything lifelike, but most players look nothing like them. Dwight Gale is white :S

b0uncyfr0

Hi people, first post in this thread.

Im forcing 16 Anistropic, 32 CSAA and 8x Supersampling in Nvidia CP but cant see much difference. Do we have to do in in nvidia inspector? What are the AA bits?

Also is anyone using a customr resolution yet? My native is 1920x1200 but Ive got 2880x1800 downsampled set-up but when i use that resolution, the settings only see 2540x1600. Id be suprised if thats the maximum resolution the engine can do. Can someone confirm the same thing?

Changing Texture Filtering to High performance has helped with the input lag/switching problem.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Really enjoying this with the pes edit patch

for anyone after an OF for 360 check out DJ Daymos on twitter. Always does the best ones.

Hooky

Neo Member
This is my first PES since 2011 and I really like it. It has slow pace and you really need to plan your attacks wisely. Of course there are more than few things that they need to patch asap ( online lag is terrible for example ) , and if they correct majority of them in the future I'll be happy as small puppy

EDIT : does anyone know how to find out BLES number for version downloaded from PSN ?

Toma

Do Pes patches usually also contain bug fixes? This game would need some adjustments indeed. Still played it during the whole day yesterday, refreshing.

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna play PES 2014 for offline league and master league and FIFA 14 for online matches. If the lag here is so bad as people say. I'm gonna try it out today as well.

I think I'm gonna play PES 2014 for offline league and master league and FIFA 14 for online matches. If the lag here is so bad as people say. I'm gonna try it out today as well.

Had my first online game today and it was a lag fest & then the douche rage quit when I was 4 nil up :(

Blablurn

aEwBjAN_460sa.gif

Just wanted to add that online matches from your own region (via the lobby) work pretty well. So, at least friendly matches do work already. The ranked matches are horrible though.

Top Bottom