• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

How do you activate that dribble where you press the square button multiple times? I have messed up so many shots by pressing the square button and instead of the player shooting, he just starts dribbling. Which idiot decided to map a dribble to the square button :/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How do you activate that dribble where you press the square button multiple times? I have messed up so many shots by pressing the square button and instead of the player shooting, he just starts dribbling. Which idiot decided to map a dribble to the square button :/

Oh there is a dribble function for that? No wonder I had a few instances of the player just dribbling happily when I was hasty with the shooting button. Annoying indeed. I just thought it was a bug.

rvy

Banned
Just got hold of a preview of DJDaymo's 360 patch, fucking love it. 4-0 game againt Villa as Chelsea, will upload a couple of goals tomorrow.

Glorious football game, they need to sort out the kinks with bugs, goalkeepers, player awareness and cursors, but we're set after that.

Edit, fuck it. Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpxW20w7LzA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55E0_grkIIk

Excuse the sound and poor phone capture, I was listening to Tech speaking.
PS4 share button will make life so easy. I hope they implement a YT uploading feature for PES 2015.

Tekniqs

general consensus from you guys...should i buy this game?
I've thoroughly enjoyed fifa's game last year (and 12 for that matter), but last pro evo game I really played was on the original xbox (5?)

care to elaborate?

They're pretty different games. PES is much slower and has a lot more weight, especially this year. Odds are if you enjoy FIFA a lot than PES may not be for you. If you have a 360 or ps3 than I would try the demo out for yourself. It's pretty similar to the final product except the catch up bug has been patched out along with better shooting.

Kiraly

If you (still) enjoy FIFA, get FIFA.

If you are fed up with the bullshit that is FIFA, get PES.

If you have never played a football game before, get FIFA.

If you're a fan of PES and hate FIFA with a passion, get PES.

Pachimari

They're pretty different games. PES is much slower and has a lot more weight, especially this year. Odds are if you enjoy FIFA a lot than PES may not be for you. If you have a 360 or ps3 than I would try the demo out for yourself. It's pretty similar to the final product except the catch up bug has been patched out along with better shooting.

But the slowest of defenders are still catching up to the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale. =/

The players in PES 2014 have momentum, while the ball in FIFA 14 have more weight to it.

rvy

Banned
care to elaborate?

The vision of what a football game is and design philosophy for each game is set so far apart that they almost meet each other on the other side of the globe. Almost.

But the slowest of defenders are still catching up to the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale. =/

The players in PES 2014 have momentum, while the ball in FIFA 14 have more weight to it.

Fix this shit, lolnami!

spwolf

The vision of what a football game is and design philosophy for each game is set so far apart that they almost meet each other on the other side of the globe. Almost.

Fix this shit, lolnami!

if they made them any slower, it would be almost impossible to defend... for instance I find Pique almost too slow to intercept through ball with dashing from Ronaldo or Messi.

So for the playability reasons, i would rather not go to the PES 2007 era, where you had superstar Messi, Ronaldo and few other players and you could almost not stop them at all. Sure, they are almost unstoppable in real life, so with being perfect controller you "should" be unstoppable too but it leads to a crappy game.

So far, everything else seems kid of fine, as in probably best PES ever? In fact, i am mostly miffed about faces as it ruins BAL a bit (lots of closeups), but I didnt play much yet. Keepers make mistakes all the time - for instance, Abbiati is good goalie and he should not have received the goal he did tonight (1:2 Milan vs Napoli).... yet he did.

Tomorrow i get to apply that WENB edit file and start actually playing some games. I am sure I will find something to complain about too.

rvy

Banned
if they made them any slower, it would be almost impossible to defend... for instance I find Pique almost too slow to intercept through ball with dashing from Ronaldo or Messi.

So for the playability reasons, i would rather not go to the PES 2007 era, where you had superstar Messi, Ronaldo and few other players and you could almost not stop them at all. Sure, they are almost unstoppable in real life, so with being perfect controller you "should" be unstoppable too but it leads to a crappy game.

Through balls are through balls though, defenders shouldn't be catching up to Ronaldo or Bale with ease.

Jubern

Guys, I've been out of the loop for a long time but bought the game on PS3 this year after playing the demo to death and loving it. Is there a "best" option file? If so, could you please point it to me? Thanks!

hardvibes

-lightning is excellent
-framerate in gameplay is excellent but in cutscenes (or whatever they're called) it's disgusting
-players faces have nothing to do with the real ones (OMG Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio... what have they done to you...)
-still those dumb retro Konami fonts... the very same since ISS Pro 98 on PS1
-arcade...as always, it's a PES tradition

I tried to give it a shot. Not a chance I'll buy a single PES game ever again. They're all the same.

Fifa is not perfect but better that's for sure. 2014 edition come to papa.

Pachimari

-lightning is excellent
-framerate in gameplay is excellent but in cutscenes (or whatever they're called) it's disgusting
-players faces have nothing to do with the real ones (OMG Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio... what have they done to you...)
-still those dumb retro Konami fonts... the very same as ISS Pro on 98 PS1
-arcade...as always in PES, it's a tradition

I tried to give it a shot. Not a chance I'll buy a single PES game ever again. They're all the same.

Fifa is not perfect but better that's for sure. 2014 edition come to papa.

Arcade? Why? Just curious.

Also, the framerate drops while doing a goal kick.

But I'm really starting to like it as I'm learning the dribbling system - it'll at least last until FIFA 14 releases on PlayStation 4.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Could anyone tell me how to change the formation spots in a formation in Master League Online? I have a 4-2-1-3 formation and would like to pull up the two DMs a bit, but I still cant find where I can do that.

hardvibes

Arcade? Why? Just curious.

Also, the framerate drops while doing a goal kick.

But I'm really starting to like it as I'm learning the dribbling system - it'll at least last until FIFA 14 releases on PlayStation 4.
Arcade because in every PES
-players always seem to have infinite stamina
-it's very easy to tackle
-very easy to control the ball, you rarely lose it

I played PES many times with my friends and I never liked it. I also have this feeling that controls are too "loose" compared to Fifa.

dsk1210

I played PES many times with my friends and I never liked it. I also have this feeling that controls are too "loose" compared to Fifa.

Seems like you have not played the same version of Pes as me.

Kikujiro

- False
- Debatable
- False again

The amazing thing is that all these three things you complain about are way worse in Fifa, yet you say you prefer Fifa. Well, enjoy your contradictions.

Knurek

After playing a few matches, I just hope that Konami nerfs the lob-shot either in a patch or in PES2015.

Way to easy to score a goal this way.

hardvibes

Seems like you have not played the same version of Pes as me.
Playing as we speak,

I'm Bayern, Vs Manchester United.

3-0 at 76min and I normally can't even score once in Fifa at the same difficulty level.

Again, loose, easy

- False
- Debatable
- False again

The amazing thing is that all these three things you complain about are way worse in Fifa, yet you say you prefer Fifa. Well, enjoy your contradictions.
False for you, but hey...I'm in a PES thread....it's obvious you defend it and say Fifa sucks.

I have my opinion, you have yours.
I enjoy my game, you enjoy yours.

jonnyp

- False
- Debatable
- False again

Agree, cannot understand his criticisms at all.

Jack cw

Do you play on easy? Or against humans that dont even know how to play football?
Fatigue is one of the things PES does great. Passes and shots become less accurate, running speed is down, etc. And tackle requires the right timing, yet its not perfect, but its on par with FIFA. And your third point is so wrong, that I doubt you ever played PES... especially in 14 its incredibly hard to have full controll of the ball.

You would have some solid points if you had criticized the scripted AI moments, Goalie AI, rocket winger or the 8 directional movement, but your points are more towards FIFA than PES.

Kikujiro

False for you, but hey...I'm in a PES thread....I had to expect people defending it and bashing Fifa. Obvious.

I enjoy my game, you enjoy yours.

It's not false for me, those are factual things like 2+2 = 4.
You see, in a PES thread you're welcome to shit the game when you have legit complaints like:
- The online sucks and Fifa is mile away
- The menus are bad, the game is badly optimized and there are little bugs here and there
- The gameplay is a solid foundation, but it still needs much work
- IA going stupid sometime

Your list is a total contradiction since those problems are far worse on Fifa, enjoy whatever you like, but it's amusing reading you talking about fanboys when your post reeks of fanboyism.

People are welcome to criticize the game, Fifa fans only come here to say it sucks with complains that don't make sense at all.

hardvibes

It's not false for me, those are factual things like 2+2 = 4.
You see, in a PES thread you're welcome to shit the game when you have legit complaints like:
- The online sucks and Fifa is mile away
- The menus are bad, the game is badly optimized and there are little bugs here and there
- The gameplay is a solid foundation, but it still needs much work
- IA going stupid sometime

Your list is a total contradiction since those problems are far worse on Fifa, enjoy whatever you like, but it's amusing reading you talking about fanboys when your post reeks of fanboyism.

People are welcome to criticize the game, Fifa fans only come here to say it sucks with complains that don't make sense at all.

"Your list is a total contradiction since those problems are far worse on Fifa"
sorry, that's your opinion

"Fifa fans only come here to say it sucks with complains that don't make sense at all"
It doesn't make sense to you, it does make sense to me. We're not all the same you know?
Did I shit on the graphics? Not entirely true. It is so fluid during gameplay and the lightning is impressive.

"People are welcome to criticize the game"
just did it, you don't respect my opinion, you just pretend to know what I should or should not criticize...because of your...facts

I don't need to explain more, I already did. I tried to give it a shot one more time...I didn't like it.
I don't think you (on anyone else) are in a good position to say "what you have to say is bullshit".
Anyway, that's all I had to say. If my opinion and criticism is not constructive for you and doesn't make sense...well it's not my problem.
It isn't written anywhere I have to write an essay to prove my points. My life doesn't depend on it.

By the way...you're free to criticize Fifa. I think it's far from being perfect. My only opinion it that it's better in terms of gameplay.

Horseress

I played PES 'till 2k9, then played FIFA, but now I'm coming back to PES 'cause I miss Master League so much! It's too godlike and FIFA doesn't have anything like it. FIFA clearly has some positive aspects that PES doesn't have, but man, PES still DA KING

Kikujiro

<cut>

Anyway, that's all I had to say. If my opinion and criticism is not constructive for you and doesn't make sense...well it's not my problem.
It isn't written anywhere I have to write an essay to prove my points. My life doesn't depend on it.

Bye.

Opinions can be wrong all the time, where did you get the idea that since you say "this is my opinion" you're free from criticism? If I go to the Fifa thread and say "In my opinion the online part of PES works much better that Fifa" people will rightly laugh at me and say I'm wrong.
You listed things that are factually wrong and started a Fifa comparison, you can't shield behind the opinion card when you talk about factual things. It's as simple as that.

jordisok

Was the "Catch-up" problem present in either of the demos? I don't remember it being an issue, haven't played enough yet to comment but fucking hell thats the thing that most annoyed me about FIFA last year so i hope its fixed :|

beanman25

Haven't played PES since Winning Eleven 9, and I'm sure this is a huge huge step up.

Picking this up in an hour or so on 360.

rvy

Banned
Was the "Catch-up" problem present in either of the demos? I don't remember it being an issue, haven't played enough yet to comment but fucking hell thats the thing that most annoyed me about FIFA last year so i hope its fixed :|

I think it has more to do with 5 minutes halves in the demo and people coming to grips with the new gameplay mechanics not being present. There wasn't enough time to check ifit was present or not. They need to get rid of it ASAP. Along with dumb goalie AI and piss poor cursor changes.

Toma

I think it has more to do with 5 minutes halves in the demo and people coming to grips with the new gameplay mechanics not being present. There wasn't enough time to check ifit was present or not. They need to get rid of it ASAP. Along with dumb goalie AI and piss poor cursor changes.

Not sure I agree. If you run through with a player, you can hold off defenders with the right stick and you get an advantage by bringing your offensive player in a better position after a through ball if he was fast, but then still need to show some skill to actually get the goal. I actually like that change. Not how football works, but at least balances attack and offense better.

But seriously, can anyone PLEASE tell me where I can adjust the individual player positions in MLO? All my opponents play with adjusted teams and I want to tinker around with custom formation settings too.

Jubern

Game is downloaded, data pack is installed and I have the option file on my USB stick. Question time! I read here that using Option File blocked trophies, unless you did some stuff afterwards. Is it still true for PES 2014?

Fake edit > Holy shit at how much smoother the cutscenes are with the data pack. What the hell? lol

Horseress

Game is downloaded, data pack is installed and I have the option file on my USB stick. Question time! I read here that using Option File blocked trophies, unless you did some stuff afterwards. Is it still true for PES 2014?

Fake edit > Holy shit at how much smoother the cutscenes are with the data pack. What the hell? lol

Sorry, LTTP, but this data pack comes with the game, is a DLC or what?

Jubern

Yes, but you won't find it on PSN, you need to launch the game and go into "Statistics" where the download will be available either from Konami servers (slow as hell) or P2P (okay-ish).

Got the game ready finally. Only thing is that it wouldn't load the option file system data and made me create a new one... What does the system data contains exactly?

Pachimari

Is Neymar included in the Barcelona roster? I remember not finding him in the few matches I played with that team.

Yes. Neymar is already in the FC Barcelona roster.

I know this is entirely a subjective matter, really nobody can say anything here is definite but I have LOVED both PES and FIFA for more than a decade and I really think that currently with the most recent entries in each series, that infinite is more defined in PES, while it's also easier to tackle and control the ball in FIFA. I love both, but those are my observations. To each their own.

WENB's Option File 1.0 is out for PS3.

So can somebody tell me, why emblems and sponsors on shirts are missing in menus and in-game after having copied all the files? It also gives me an error when trying to load the system file in the game. Hmmm...?

The catch-up problem is definitely in the full game as well. I'm playing on Top Player difficulty and whenever I storm up the wings, defenders catch up no matter which team you are up against. I get a free run with Cristiano Ronaldo after a through ball and of all people, Mertesacker catches up with Ronaldo and puts pressure on me.

Haven't played PES since Winning Eleven 9, and I'm sure this is a huge huge step up.

Picking this up in an hour or so on 360.
So far it's not as good as Winning Eleven 9 or 10 but it might end up being the best this generation. It's really growing on me.

Top Bottom