• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

spwolf

I gotta give props to Konami and PSN Europe.

I was mad last night when I saw that PES wasnt on US store yet... very annoyed. I usually buy everything through my US Paypal/PSN because it is much cheaper - Croatian PSN has always MSRP prices and FIFA for instance is $91 right now on PSN.

By accident, i cleared my cookies so store. on my browser loaded Croatian PSN.... they have PES at discounted price! $27 cheaper than FIFA and $10 cheaper than best in-store offer!

Downloading now... so thanks Konami/PSN Croatia!

mauaus

Ah okay, thanks. I will not ask who you needed to bribe to get this information or how much you needed to pay :p

haha yeah konami are pretty weird about... well... everything. My main account is US psn but for PES i made a second UK account and purchased it

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
haha yeah konami are pretty weird about... well... everything. My main account is US psn but for PES i made a second UK account and purchased it

Yeah, just decided to buy it on my EU account instead. Whatever.

Sonix90

Neo Member
Wait, so it's already on EU PSN? I keep looking on the site and I see nothing (to be exact it's Polish PSN but that shouldn't matter)...

Honestly, the new through ball mechanic is exploitable as hell. I don't understand why Konami decided to go this path, since it's removing much of the unpredictability of a through ball.

Pachimari

I bought this game today but haven't opened it yet, and now I'm wary and thinking of returning it after the "negative" impressions in this thread. On the other side, GAF have always been more on the negative side of things when it comes to the PES franchise this generation.

And I need my football games, probably won't have FIFA 14 on PS4 until December/Spring.

Blablurn

I bought this game today but haven't opened it yet, and now I'm wary and thinking of returning it after the "negative" impressions in this thread. On the other side, GAF have always been more on the negative side of things when it comes to the PES franchise this generation.

And I need my football games, probably won't have FIFA 14 on PS4 until December/Spring.

I like it. Takes time to get used to it. It's because it's not as super easy as FIFA. You actually have to fight for your goal. It's not just like in FIFA where u make deadly pass to Ronaldo and he scores 9 out of 10 times.

cyen

Bought the PC version even thou i dont have a dvd drive on my laptop.. Big Mistake.

I tought i could use the serial and play without the dvd in the drive.. but its a no go.

Am i doomed?

Addnan

Bought the PC version even thou i dont have a dvd drive on my laptop.. Big Mistake.

I tought i could use the serial and play without the dvd in the drive.. but its a no go.

Am i doomed?
Yep, Konami are some backward arse company.

Konosuke

Am i doomed?

You can use your serial with a ISO version of the DVD and I'm not saying more.

03sho

Anyone who hasn't changed their camera settings tell me the default camera settings, please?

I was messing about with them and decided I prefer the default settings but there's no button to revert to default.

Eanan

So yay or nay for those with the PC version? I cant decide whether to get this or the xbox version for double the price.

So yay or nay for those with the PC version? I cant decide whether to get this or the xbox version for double the price.

If you have the hardware for it, definitely go for PC. Playing in 1080p with 8x anti-aliasing and 60fps makes it a quite pretty game compared to the console version. Also, you won't have to deal with all the frame rate problems. The only downside is that it's still a bit difficult to find players for ranked matches. That should work itself out a few days down the line though.

SpaceHorror

They fucked up Arteta's perfect hair.

Also, Sagna and Jack do not have faces. Are they going to be updating faces in the data pack?

Sagna looks awful.

1185777_10151838952928936_511525936_n.jpg

Wrote up your complaints somewhere? Does it compare unfavorably to the demo? I really liked the last demo.

Some of my early complaints:

- Horrible slowdown in cut scenes, team presentations, etc.
- The UI is years behind FIFA, both functionality and presentation wise.
- Some instances of slowdown during the game, or the camera losing it's central place in the action
- Terrible faces for the players outside scanned faces
- There are still A.I. issues. Also, the CPU seems to exploit the defense lines, always scoring goals via "unfair" through passes that get him a one on one with the keeper
- It is nice that the players follow a more realistic momentum, but Konami needs to tinker with the relationship between button presses and player movements. Many times i press buttons and nothing happens, because the players need to finish their animation routines before they can go to the next move. Also some times you can almost feel the CPU trying to adjust to your movements.

It feels like the game is trying to break free from its restrictions - there is something very good going on but I feel like something its holding me down while I play - I don't have that feeling with FIFA.

ShogunX

Is it just me or is there pretty bad catchup going on in this game? I burst through with Sturridge and within a few touches I'm surrounded by players, same kind of thing with most players.

madmackem

WOW netcode sucks ass on this, playing a friend whos about 9 mile away both on fibre broadband with fast up and down speed and its just utter shite, stutters, slow down, its just no fun to play, you get random speed ups from no where. Hmm regretting the purchase atm hoping its just launch day teething issue but theres less than 300 people on when you look at the rooms.

- Some instances of slowdown during the game, or the camera losing it's central place in the action
- There are still A.I. issues. Also, the CPU seems to exploit the defense lines, always scoring goals via "unfair" through passes that get him a one on one with the keeper
- It is nice that the players follow a more realistic momentum, but Konami needs to tinker with the relationship between button presses and player movements. Many times i press buttons and nothing happens, because the players need to finish their animation routines before they can go to the next move. Also some times you can almost feel the CPU trying to adjust to your movements.

It feels like the game is trying to break free from its restrictions - there is something very good going on but I feel like something its holding me down while I play - I don't have that feeling with FIFA.

Thanks for this. Shame about the A,I and high line defenses.

I am still sitting on the fence @ the moment.

madmackem

Is it just me or is there pretty bad catchup going on in this game? I burst through with Sturridge and within a few touches I'm surrounded by players, same kind of thing with most players.

Im getting this alot as well, both online and offline, it feels like they sometimes warp next to you when you play online.

ShogunX

Perfect description of the game. It feels like you are battling to do what you want at times. Obviously the game is different to the on the rails stuff that happens in Fifa but it definitely needs some tweaking.

My biggest complaint is what I posted above. Just tested the catchup ina match with my lad and it's definitely present.

madmackem

Perfect description of the game. It feels like you are battling to do what you want at times. Obviously the game is different to the on the rails stuff that happens in Fifa but it definitely needs some tweaking.

My biggest complaint is what I posted above. Just tested the catchup ina match with my lad and it's definitely present.

Online just puts a spotlight on that even more, with stutter, framedrops, making harder on top of the games flaws.

spwolf

Right... when I play FIFA, every player is superstar and they have rockets in their boots.

So I am not sure how can you guys play FIFA at all... it is like you FF football game by 4x.

spwolf

WOW netcode sucks ass on this, playing a friend whos about 9 mile away both on fibre broadband with fast up and down speed and its just utter shite, stutters, slow down, its just no fun to play, you get random speed ups from no where. Hmm regretting the purchase atm hoping its just launch day teething issue but theres less than 300 people on when you look at the rooms.

it seems they f* up the netcode again then... my wife is watching something, I have to test it later on... up to 2012 (if i remember right) PES was unplayable online... it got better about then.

That's every pes ever. Especially in comparison to fifa. It's always going to have that weight and fifa always felt arcade/fast in comparison. It's not for everyone

The debacle with the faces just screams of unprofessionalism to be honest. What kind of shoddy operation are Konami running here? Give this code to the FIFA team and you'll see something spectacular in a year

liger05

Man some of the impressions make me think its possible that for another year there will be no football game for me.

Desaan

For me PES is one of those games I'll pick up 6 months down the line after it receives it's much needed gazillion official (and community) patches and they sort their shitty servers out. All that only after I've had my fill of FIFA. May not happen at all this year if the PS4 version of FIFA lives up to expectation.

SpaceHorror

Haven't had much time in it so far, but man...the presentation is still awful. The commentary feels like it is mostly unchanged, the UI is clunky and PS2-era outdated, it just looks so half assed. Atmosphere seems improved, but only for licensed teams of course.

As promising as the new engine is in terms of gameplay (can't speak beyond enjoying it in the demo, haven't had enough time with the full version), I kind of wish they had held onto it until next year. Even with updated faces coming, the difference is jarring between real faces and the crappy no faces. Hell, why couldn't they just keep some of the faces from last year as place holders until the updates?

Kind of wish they had kept the old engine this year with improvements, but completely revamped the presentation. Record a new, more natural sounding commentary,update the look and functionality of the UI, etc. Bring it into the modern age. Then next year have a much more refined new engine and maybe an overall more impressive package.

Maybe next gen will prove more fruitful.

03sho

Anyone who hasn't changed their camera settings tell me the default camera settings, please?

I was messing about with them and decided I prefer the default settings but there's no button to revert to default.

Anyone help me out?

Eanan

Looks like the PC digital release date is the 27th September, the same day as FIFA!

http://uk.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Pro-Evolution-Soccer-2014-4018-34.html

Still wouldnt be sure its steam, id wager its just a DRM free download.

Got my PC copy in gamestop. Cutscenes are buttery smooth. loving it so far but cant seem to figure out how to download the data pack. Any ideas? When I go to options and click data pack details, it says there is no downloads.

Tecl0n

Still wouldnt be sure its steam, id wager its just a DRM free download.

Got my PC copy in gamestop. Cutscenes are buttery smooth. loving it so far but cant seem to figure out how to download the data pack. Any ideas? When I go to options and click data pack details, it says there is no downloads.

Get patch 1.01 which will unlock the "online" features. Then in the main menu "statistics" will appear and in there you'll find the data pack update.

Eanan

Get patch 1.01 which will unlock the "online" features. Then in the main menu "statistics" will appear and in there you'll find the data pack update.

Do I get patch 1.01 in the game or is it an exe I download off the konami website?

edit: found it on softpedia.

I just spent 3 hours downloading the Data Pack to which it then says is 'broken' and needs to be downloaded again. If this isn't resolved within a week, I will demand a refund from the retailer that sold this to me

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Fun game.

How do I head towards goal?

Headers on the midfield are no problem, but in front of the goal I never seem to be able to do a header.

PS3 controls.

Same thing, just use the shooting button instead of the passing button.

shoot? so you can't and need to shoot and prey that the ball go the your player inside, this must be a joke or something.

One online game in one laggy pos, throughball abuse as well hmmmmm.

Honestly, the new through ball mechanic is exploitable as hell. I don't understand why Konami decided to go this path, since it's removing much of the unpredictability of a through ball.

The goalkeepers are straight from the PS1 era in terms of AI. So many basic and silly mistakes.

smh@Konami, this is just horrible.

glad I waited and didn't buy it just because of rvy hype.

rvy

Banned
shoot? so you can't and need to shoot and prey that the ball go the your player inside, this must be a joke or something.

No, you use the right stick to gain an advantage and position your player correctly in the air.
The only thing that's a joke is you acting like you know what you're talking about.

glad I waited and didn't buy it just because of rvy hype.

Yeah, game is terrible. Not having fun at all. Not even neglecting GTA V because of PES 2014.

lol

Buying games because of my hype? What kind of fucking nonsense is this? You don't have taste and need my blessing to buy games? Turns out my hype is completely justified as PES 2014 is the best football game since FIFA 09.

Top Bottom