• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsu

PSN cards are safer, and now that Vita is wide open for hackers I think everyone should use PSN cards.

Oh nonsense~ They can't root your Vita, or access your PSN info at all. They can try to write and run their own apps on their own hacked Vitas though. Then again, we already have PS Mobile for that.

patsu

Were the ps3's intial exploits done at kernel level?

Nope but they were quickly addressed. The ones that opened up PS3 were due to exploiting the internal USB service key used by Sony technicians, Geohot's low-level timing glitch, plus the er... not-so-random random number generator.

Then again, Sony sued and put everything back.

Non-malicious attacks (like the one YifanLu has) help to keep Sony on their toes. It's better than other compromises that stay hidden while the hackers continue to exploit the users, kinda like the FIFA problem a while ago.

darkwing

welp, it's funny the Vita opened me up to different kinds of gaming genre, like I would have never played TOM Blitz or Zen Pinball on the PS3, but right now, they are the most played Vita games I have and I haven't played on my PS3 since I got the Vita

trying my hardest not to buy more pinball tables lol

patsu

welp, it's funny the Vita opened me up to different kinds of gaming genre, like I would have never played TOM Blitz or Zen Pinball on the PS3, but right now, they are the most played Vita games I have and I haven't played on my PS3 since I got the Vita

^ Oh so true !

Because of the flexible gaming time, I find myself exploring horror games, and sports games. Have zero interest in those games before I own a Vita.

Sid

Nope but they were quickly addressed. The ones that opened up PS3 were due to exploiting the internal USB service key used by Sony technicians, Geohot's low-level timing glitch, plus the er... not-so-random random number generator.

Then again, Sony sued and put everything back.

Non-malicious attacks (like the one YifanLu has) help to keep Sony on their toes. It's better than other compromises that stay hidden while the hackers continue to exploit the users, kinda like the FIFA problem a while ago.
Were pirated games playable initially?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Can they be purchased outside the US?

Gamestop? no.

I hope Bestbuy sell them again soon since I want one for Retro City Rampage...

A user land exploit that doesn't even work on current firmware is not "wide open".

Oh nonsense~ They can't root your Vita, or access your PSN info at all. They can try to write and run their own apps on their own hacked Vitas though. Then again, we already have PS Mobile for that.

Didn't know that,Thanks for the info.

Sid

Oddly, I still have no interest in Lumines. lol.

If you don't update your PS3 firmware or login to PSN, yes you can probably hack your PS3 to run some old games.
So then piracy on the vita is coming very soon?later on any firmware could be the '3.55' of the vita

patsu

So then piracy on the vita is coming very soon?any firmware could be the '3.55' of the vita

Not enough info to decide (There may be other parallel efforts). What YifanLu has now is very far from running a pirated Vita game, or stealing PSN info. It's not like those things at all. Naturally, Sony would want to patch the hole up to prevent other hackers from using it as a vector of (further) attack.

I heard they only haxxed the Playstation Mobile part of PSV, why would they do that, thats the part that allows us to make our own games.

These people then wonder why Sony take such drastic measures, don't exploit the goodwill of Sony!

@Grim Reaper: haha, I shouldve said "on" instead of in the toilet lol :p

leroidys

I have never really been interested in racing games, but I am completely addicted to WipEout 2048, which came with my craigslist vita. It is likely going to be my first platinum.

I've also put about 50 hours into P3P. On paper, it sounds like torture in video game form. A 2D first person relationship simulator with a single dungeon based around a Japanese high school? But somehow it works!

Sid

Not enough info to decide (There may be other parallel efforts). What YifanLu has now is very far from running a pirated Vita game, or stealing PSN info. It's not like those things at all.
So let's get this straight the 'main' security of the vita is in the kernel level which,if no parallel efforts are involved will take a TON of time to get access to compared to the current 'development'?

patsu

I have never really been interested in racing games, but I am completely addicted to WipEout 2048, which came with my craigslist vita. It is likely going to be my first platinum.

I've also put about 50 hours into P3P. On paper, it sounds like torture in video game form. A 2D first person relationship simulator with a single dungeon based around a Japanese high school? But somehow it works!

Hah ! 50 ? I spent 170+ hours in P3P. 8^P

... and then 150+ in VC2.

zroid

Banned
Oddly, I still have no interest in Lumines. lol.

I'm in this funk where I'm now good enough at Lumines that the main (Voyage) mode takes upwards of an hour for me to finish.

This same thing happened with Zen Pinball on the 3DS. I played it obsessively for a while, but when my skill improved to a certain point, it started taking me as much as two hours to complete a single game. I have no patience for two hour pinball sessions :/

Kind of hesitant to jump into ZP2 for that reason...

patsu

So let's get this straight the 'main' security of the vita is in the kernel level which,if no parallel efforts are involved will take a TON of time to get access to compared to the current 'development'?

At user level, they can behave like a normal app, which can't really do harmful things to other users, as long as you don't run their unauthorized apps. They also can't run games they didn't buy.

It is unclear if Sony can detect an unauthorized app (and shut down your Vita).

As for how long Vita's kernel will stay intact from future attacks, your guess is as good as mine.

Sid

At user level, they can behave like a normal app, which can't really do harmful things to other users, as long as you don't run their unauthorized apps. They also can't run games they didn't buy.

It is unclear if Sony can detect an unauthorized app (and shut down your Vita).

As for how long Vita's kernel will stay intact from future attacks, your guess is as good as mine.
Considering psp was cracked WIDE open i think sony would have secured the kernel level as tightly as possible

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Ha, i never noticed before that EU PSN has a £109.99(!) preorder for AC3 and AC3: Liberation. Fuck, man. Wonder if anyone has actually preordered that.

Well that is both games along with the season pass for AC3, the problem I see is that there doesn't seem to be any real savings, you can pre-order AC3 and Liberation for £85, but that is still too much considering, lol.

Carl

Well that is both games along with the season pass for AC3, the problem I see is that there doesn't seem to be any real savings, you can pre-order AC3 and Liberation for £85, but that is still too much considering, lol.

Yeah i know. Still ridiculous though. £110! Wow. Haha.

AC3 seems to be £49.99 and AC3:L is £34.99 by the look of it. At least that means AC3:L should be ~£30 in shops

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Anyone near their PS3 want to do me a quick favour, in the PlayStation Store, I go to Summer Sale and at the bottom it says there are 45 items in the list, except items 16-20 don't show anything, they just seem to be empty boxes between Kula World and Lilo & Stitch.

Is it the same for everyone else?

Vossler

So Vita bonus of the week, was transferring Vagrant Story to my Vita and forgot that I'm already about 5 hours in with weapons that are upgraded for corresponding enemies. Totally forgot that I had started this on my ps3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom