• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wouwie

At first, i wasn't that fond of the Vita user interface but it has grown on me and i quite like it. I'm using a fantastic wallpaper set from magicaltrevor which makes it look a lot better than out of the box. I even like the bubbles (wished they had a tad of AA though). The user interface itself does it's job and it's easy to use. There probably could have been some improvements here and there but it's an ok user interface.

Also, enjoying Pinball Arcade a lot on Vita, especially Theater of Magic and Arabian Nights. I hope more tables will be released on the EU store at some point.

DiscoJer

The Flying Hamster - Haha, this is perfect. Great music, and all the personality and expression you expect from a "Cute 'em up".

Thanks to those who recommended it!

I want a good, original beat-em-up on this thing so bad, I almost wanna buy Fly Fu (...?) and Wackland Boss, lol. Anyone have any experience with either?

Wackylands Boss is one of the highest user rated Minis and is a lot of fun.

Fly Fu is okay, but not great.

Twin Blades is also pretty good, very similar to Wackylands boss, only not quite so original (you play a zombie killing nun)

My collection:

Have

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Gravity Rush
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Lumines: Electronic Symphony (my partner's)
Touch My Katamari (my partner's)
PulzAR
Pure Chess

PSP on my Vita

Persona 3 Portable
Dissidia 012 + Prologus
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Final Fantasy Tactics
The 3rd Birthday
Kenka Bancho
Knights in the Nightmare
Yggdra Union

Need to get

Escape Plan
Virtua Tennis 4 (thanks to this thread :p)
Sumioni: Demon Arts

(What's the general consensus on Escape Plan and Sumioni? I liked both demos but $15 and $20 seemed a bit steep)

Definitely getting

Persona 4 The Golden
Hatsune Miku Project Diva f
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (My partner's gonna get a white Vita for this. I've never played anything in the series, but this looks cool so I just bought the first game to start bringing myself up to speed)

Might get

Sound Shapes
Little King's Story
Orgarhythm

(Sorry Carl, 'nother junior with no Mutant Blobs. Not big on platformers, really. I downloaded the video though, and it kind of gave off a Soul Bubbles vibe. Confirm or deny that they're similar?)

Any good action-Rpg psp games that someone can recommend?

I already have Dissidia, MHFU, GE and all the Ys. I am in need of something new and good.
Crisis Core and BB-oh wait. :-( But seriously, as has been mentioned: Gurumin Gurumin Gurumin. Unique, adorable, tons of fun. Some of the boss battles are kind of annoying, but otherwise it's pretty fantastic.

Is there any way to play Samurai and Dragons / Assault Gunners without needlessly swapping my Vita's account back and forth constantly? I'm on a US account (but I'm in Australia).

And what are some good Japanese import games? I already have @field. I don't understand Japanese though so the language barrier needs to be kinda low.

oldmario

Since theres no PSP thread that i could find i thought might aswell post it here, from october 1st sony are turning off the online servers for Socom: FTB3 and Motorstorm: Artic edge

Source

Just picked up Plants vs Zombies on the Vita, it's in the EU sale this weekend £6.49. Already have it on the PS3 through PS+ but have a feeling it should fit the touchscreen perfectly plus has a Platinum as well. Currently downloading at work through my phone and it's WiFi hotspot.

GopherD

Just picked up Plants vs Zombies on the Vita, it's in the EU sale this weekend £6.49. Already have it on the PS3 through PS+ but have a feeling it should fit the touchscreen perfectly plus has a Platinum as well. Currently downloading at work through my phone and it's WiFi hotspot.

Played it through to the end. It works really well on the Vita and looks brilliant.

The problem with it is the price.

already completed PvZ on iPhone but loved it so much I got it on vita as well. And its a lot nicer than the phone version. Shake to collect suns works so well (as just a nudge works) and the OLED makes it look awesome like everything else.

I wish a civ game (even the console one) would get released. Id so get into that on this thing.

StuBurns

Banned
Just finished Gravity Rush, overall, not bad, not nearly as fantastic as I'd been lead to believe. I felt like the story was leading somewhere it never arrived at, pretty frustrating.

Played it through to the end. It works really well on the Vita and looks brilliant.

The problem with it is the price.

I'd always been put off with the price, especially considering it is available on almost every other platform a lot cheaper. But finally bit the bullet in the sale as I wanted a nice puzzle type game for when on the move. (Really wish they would add in online live play opponents to Pure Chess)

Sid

Just finished Gravity Rush, overall, not bad, not nearly as fantastic as I'd been lead to believe. I felt like the story was leading somewhere it never arrived at, pretty frustrating.

The entire game is basically setting up the sequel

kiyomi

Been playing my PSP games, really enjoying 3rd Birthday. The main mechanic of constantly switching between soldiers is a lot of fun. Still early days in Monster Hunter but I'm gonna like it, I know it.

Back to the Vita though - Rayman Origins is the best 2d platformer I've played for ages. And now Gravity Rush has arrived, so I can finally see what it's all been about. Also digging being able to watch YT on the go, my current phone isn't really up to it and with the Vita screen it's so much more enjoyable.

And hello to anyone who added me yesterday :)

Back to the Vita though - Rayman Origins is the best 2d platformer I've played for ages. And now Gravity Rush has arrived, so I can finally see what it's all been about. Also digging being able to watch YT on the go, my current phone isn't really up to it and with the Vita screen it's so much more enjoyable.

Truer words you could not have spoken; that's how I felt about it on PS3 -- so much so that it's on the list of games to get for my Vita. ^_^

Does the Vita friends list overlap with your PS3 list -- or is it a separate entity of sorts.

Massa

Rayman can't get enough praise. I'm close to getting the platinum now and I never get tired of playing it.

Virtua Tennis 4 is a game I bought this week on PSN and immediately regretted, but when I actually started playing it I was sold on it again. Really liking the career mode so far, the only thing I'd point out about the game is that timing your button presses is not the way to play it; you actually want to press the button early and focus more on your positioning. This is very different from my favorite tennis game (HST) so it took some getting used to.

Truer words you could not have spoken; that's how I felt about it on PS3 -- so much so that it's on the list of games to get for my Vita. ^_^

Does the Vita friends list overlap with your PS3 list -- or is it a separate entity of sorts.

Same list, but PS3 people can't see when you're online on the Vita. On the Vita you can see people that are online either on PS3 or Vita.

Carl

Got a reply off Drinkbox. Looks like they aren't saying "no" to Mutant Blobs DLC but are concentrating on other stuff right now (MBA for Steam, and Guacamelee). I shall keep all of my digits crossed, though :D

Got a reply off Drinkbox. Looks like they aren't saying "no" to Mutant Blobs DLC but are concentrating on other stuff right now (MBA for Steam, and Guacamelee). I shall keep all of my digits crossed, though :D
I finished the last few missions in Velocity last night! Just thought you should know. :p

I'm not sure if I'll go for the golds, some of those seem insanely tough to pull off.

Twinduct

Has Guacamelle been given a Release window/ date yet?

zroid

Banned
Based on the three Rayman demos I've played (PS3, Vita, 3DS), it seems really overrated, but since it's 18 bucks now I'll finally give it a proper shot. Hopefully it's just the demos that were unimpressive.

Carl

I finished the last few missions in Velocity last night! Just thought you should know. :p

I'm not sure if I'll go for the golds, some of those seem insanely tough to pull off.

Awesome, what did you think? It's fanastic, right? I hope it is selling well enough for FuturLab to make a proper, full, awesome PSN version. Would be so cool.

"2013" I think is what they said.

I think so yeah

Carl

What's the Mutant Blobs on PS3 like?

You mean About A Blob? It's a good game. Not as refined as MBA, obviously. The "narrative" if there is one, is basically the same as MBA, but there are some very different gameplay mechanics on AAB. I don't think it's as good as MBA, but it is still good fun. Well worth a buy, if you loved MBA.

Awesome, what did you think? It's fanastic, right? I hope it is selling well enough for FuturLab to make a proper, full, awesome PSN version. Would be so cool.
I had played up through mission 43 a few weeks ago when the game was new and my opinion is the same now as it was then --- the game is fantastic. It's incredible how they took something that looks really quite typical on the surface and managed to inject it with so many new and fresh ideas. It was just a pure joy to play through and everything about it was extremely well thought out and polished (especially considering the fact that it's a mini). I was kind of worried that the game would devolve into unfair difficulty spikes towards the end but even the final few levels were designed intelligently enough to avoid that while still maintaining a very satisfying level of difficulty. It's impressive stuff.

As far as a PSN release I think it would be absolutely wonderful. It would be my most anticipated PSN release for sure, even if the majority of the content was exactly what we've already seen. I definitely don't feel like I'm done getting enjoyment out of Velocity yet.

So I'm waiting for my Vita to show up from AWD before I buy anything else; I want to inspect it and make sure it's good to go before I drop more $... however, I'm looking for case suggestions; there was a lot of love for the EVA case:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NUPTTM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's now out of stock; I'm also considering getting the Hori silicone protector (and some screen protectors as well)... what's a good case that would still accomodate the Vita (with the silicone protector on, preferrably)?

dsigns1

Really liking the career mode so far, the only thing I'd point out about the game is that timing your button presses is not the way to play it; you actually want to press the button early and focus more on your positioning. This is very different from my favorite tennis game (HST) so it took some getting used to.

Yea try to be in the right spot and hold the hit button for more power. Very similar to Top Spin which I used to play on original xbox.

Carl

I had played up through mission 43 a few weeks ago when the game was new and my opinion is the same now as it was then --- the game is fantastic. It's incredible how they took something that looks really quite typical on the surface and managed to inject it with so many new and fresh ideas. It was just a pure joy to play through and everything about it was extremely well thought out and polished (especially considering the fact that it's a mini). I was kind of worried that the game would devolve into unfair difficulty spikes towards the end but even the final few levels were designed intelligently enough to avoid that while still maintaining a very satisfying level of difficulty. It's impressive stuff.

As far as a PSN release I think it would be absolutely wonderful. It would be my most anticipated PSN release for sure, even if the majority of the content was exactly what we've already seen. I definitely don't feel like I'm done getting enjoyment out of Velocity yet.

Wow, amazingly positive. Glad you enjoyed it! Couldnt agree more about a PSN version

Iacobellis

Since theres no PSP thread that i could find i thought might aswell post it here, from october 1st sony are turning off the online servers for Socom: FTB3 and Motorstorm: Artic edge

Source

How can Sony shutdown the servers for Motorstorm on the PS3? Isn't it all part of the PSN? I knew PSP games ran on unique servers similar to the PS2.

patsu

Based on the three Rayman demos I've played (PS3, Vita, 3DS), it seems really overrated, but since it's 18 bucks now I'll finally give it a proper shot. Hopefully it's just the demos that were unimpressive.

Have you played the real game yet ?
What do you think about it now ?

patsu

I -assume- everyone has ZOMG GAME OF THE VITA!!!! (cough/andPS3/PsP/cough) Velocity .... right?

Look... it's simple

You own Velocity... or you look like a prat. Okay?

Incredible game is incredible
Cheap incredible game is incredible
Cheap amazing incredible game and YOU don't own it makes you NOT CREDIBLE!

Do it
for you
for your family
for your country
for your soul

It's mandatory gaming. names will be taken of those who do not step into line.
Just saying....

It's not on Vita store yet. Have to transfer via PS3. 8^/

I'll get it when I buy Eye of Judgment off PS3 together. [grumble, grumble]

For me that's Motorstorm RC ...

Yea... I tried the demo and liked it. Not a big racing fan, so I'm on the fence.

If they make the controls work with real RC vehicles, and let us tinker with the setup, I'll buy it immediately !

kiyomi

Played an hour or so of Gravity Rush. Really digging it. The world reminds me of Basel in Resonance of Fate, for some reason.

There's a simple joy to just flying around and not doing much, lol. I was getting a bit confused in the first 15 minutes or so with the controls and changing gravity but once I realised using the right stick and forgetting the motion control suited me much better, it becomes more manageable and with constant readjustment with the right shoulder it's just so much fun to jump off a building and see how far you can get and where you can get to. And Kat is such a cutie, I love the way the dialogue is done, with the little panels.

Very very good so far. :)

Takao

Banned
Let us know what you think when you can finally download it, Takao

If there's no embargo, anyway

I haven't been told anything about an embargo, but it seems like I'll only get to play it on the day it releases to the public. SCEA is usually good about getting review versions of games up the week prior, but eh.

Carl

I haven't been told anything about an embargo, but it seems like I'll only get to play it on the day it releases to the public. SCEA is usually good about getting review versions of games up the week prior, but eh.

Ah okay, that's a bugger. But still, impressions are always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom