• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita TV JP Import Thread | There's still a life after OLED

Kalamoj

Wow, so tiny. Maybe (if it's successful enough) the revision will be built into the controller.
Wireless HDMI baby!

Zafir

I've been lucky where some items have slipped through and I've not been charged anything, but this is far rarer than it used to be.
It really varies. I order occasionally from the US/Japan, and I generally don't get caught too often. That said I always choose the cheap shipping option, and the products themselves aren't usually that big/heavy. However if you use tracked methods like Fedex/UPS you pretty much always get caught. The two times UPS had been used I got caught by customs. One of which wasn't even a purchase, it was just some replacement RAM which they wanted to send me off to the American office for some reason and I had to mess around trying to explain I'd already paid VAT when I first bought the stuff.

Yes Boss!

Sad face. No delivery today. Definitely tomorrow. Gives me a couple days at least to fool around with it before Super Nintendo Weekend.

NyxFe

Neo Member
My Vita TV showed up earlier this morning. Aside mentioned in the OP, NA accounts won't but I have a JP account for various things anyway.

It straight up has English support for the interface, so that's handy if you can't read Japanese.

I haven't tried much yet, but I downloaded Soul Sacrifice (jp ver) and played a fair bit of it, feels great with a proper controller. They use L2/R2 to simulate touching the screen but I believe that is specific to SS since the touch stuff is pretty limited (there is more complex touch when you are dead and in soul form in multi player, didn't die so I have no idea how they changed it)

If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to poke around in it and answer as best I can.

Zoe

If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to poke around in it and answer as best I can.

Please try out Joysound! There should be free songs you can demo.

The PS3 version is region-blocked (but not IP). Hopefully at the very least it's the same here.

wii_HD

Neo Member
Does the Vita TV have a firmware update applied when connecting online?

Does it read game cards out of the box?

I sure hope Hotline Miami comes out on JPSN.

Foshy

Not sure what's going on at nin-nin-game exactly. I asked them to cancel my order and refund my money before launch. Haven't got an answer yet, but the order status says "Preparation in Progress" since 5 days. I figure that they got my mail as if they were to ship it, I guess they would've already done so...Haven't heard anything from them yet, though.

Psykotik

cool I'm able to log in using my main singapore account now.

still can't access the store though. service not available yet.

i'm copying over all my backed up games on my PC to the vita tv now since i can't download them from the store.

Zafir

Not sure what's going on at nin-nin-game exactly. I asked them to cancel my order and refund my money before launch. Haven't got an answer yet, but the order status says "Preparation in Progress" since 5 days. I figure that they got my mail as if they were to ship it, I guess they would've already done so...Haven't heard anything from them yet, though.
I was going to cancel my order from them but they wanted to charge a 10% cancellation fee so I decided to just keep it and use my jp account. They shipped it this morning.

Their communication is pretty bad, You could try their Facebook or Twitter or even just send a dispute in PayPal if you paid by that and complain that you never got a response in 5 days.

NyxFe

Neo Member
Please try out Joysound! There should be free songs you can demo.

The PS3 version is region-blocked (but not IP). Hopefully at the very least it's the same here.

Appears to work fine, also apparently works on the Vita (non-tv) from what I hear.

Does the Vita TV have a firmware update applied when connecting online?

Does it read game cards out of the box?

I sure hope Hotline Miami comes out on JPSN.

There is an initial firmware update, as well as game updates for certain games to work with the Vita TV. Game cards work out of the box but they need to be compatible. For example: Soul Sacrifice NA won't run at all because the update required is only available for the JP version, but Persona 4 The Golden NA runs fine without any updates.

Zoe

cool I'm able to log in using my main singapore account now.

still can't access the store though. service not available yet.

i'm copying over all my backed up games on my PC to the vita tv now since i can't download them from the store.

What's the account switching process like? Same as the handheld?

Yes Boss!

Damn,

USPS says this thing was delivered two days ago. Of all the packages to get mis-routed, a new system was not the one I wanted it to happen to :-(

Was finally able to spend some time with my Vita TV... Tested the following US retail game:

WORKED:
Lumines Electronic Symphony

DID NOT WORK:
Army Corps of Hell
Ridge Racer
Mortal Kombat
Wipeout 2048
Unit 13
Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified
Smart as...
LittleBigPlanet PSVita
MLB12 The Show
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
Hot Shots Golf World Invatational
Gravity Rush

Any other questions, shoot! I had internet connectivity during testing but was not signed in to my Japanese PSN account. That said, each game that had patches available prompted me to download them as if I was connecting from a regular Vita. None of the above titles had patches available to me that enabled VitaTV compatibility.

Misc notes: Hardware prompted for an initial firmware update and does feature full English text in the OS. Not on PSN, though, just Japanese there. Also worth pointing out O is select and X is cancel, as is the Japanese way. Still can't get used to that!

Darvan

Was finally able to spend some time with my Vita TV... Tested the following US retail game:

WORKED:

DID NOT WORK:
Army Corps of Hell
Ridge Racer
Mortal Kombat
Wipeout 2048
Unit 13
Smart as...
LittleBigPlanet PSVita
MLB12 The Show
Gravity Rush

Any other questions, shoot! I had internet connectivity during testing but was not signed in to my Japanese PSN account. That said, each game that had patches available prompted me to download them as if I was connecting from a regular Vita. None of the above titles had patches available to me that enabled VitaTV compatibility.

Misc notes: Hardware prompted for an initial firmware update and does feature full English text in the OS. Not on PSN, though, just Japanese there. Also worth pointing out O is select and X is cancel, as is the Japanese way. Still can't get used to that!

Have you tried Soul Sacrifice?

sajj316

WORKED:

DID NOT WORK:
Army Corps of Hell
Ridge Racer
Mortal Kombat
Wipeout 2048
Unit 13
Smart as...
LittleBigPlanet PSVita
MLB12 The Show
Gravity Rush

Is there a compatibility list that has been done by users and/or Sony?

Also, how well is this product doing in Japan?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Ah thanks, I saw it got Firmware 3.0, but I presumed this included the PS4 link app.

I guess I'll wait to order one so :(
This disappointed me too I was expecting to get some good impressions on this thing.

The guy here tested it and they use the same firmware, but the preinstall and systemdata files are different:
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?p=307392#p307436

Even if it would be possible to get it to work it'd probably be limited to the Vita's resolution for now.

wii_HD

Neo Member
As PS4 doesn't launch until February in Japan the PS4 Link app hasn't been added to the firmware.

Correct but as Vita TV is now on sale in Hong Kong and PS4 comes to that region 17 December perhaps a new firmware update will be made available.

Mk2020

Neo Member
I'm sure the Vita tv we have just like all the other portables will be in other countries within a year its just something for the Japanese as they don't have PS4 at moment, sony giving them something that will benefit them now and later on if they buy a ps4, Then for EU.UK.USA I'm sure once its out for us the firmware will work on the models we brought.

Well, I'm hoping and thats looking at imported from past PSP and Vita.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm sure the Vita tv we have just like all the other portables will be in other countries within a year its just something for the Japanese as they don't have PS4 at moment, sony giving them something that will benefit them now and later on if they buy a ps4, Then for EU.UK.USA I'm sure once its out for us the firmware will work on the models we brought.

Well, I'm hoping and thats looking at imported from past PSP and Vita.
I read yesterday that a big reason they are focusing on Japan first is that smartboxes (Apple TV, Roku etc.) haven't really lit up or even hit the Japanese market yet, so Sony is trying to become the established name for this market over there.

Mk2020

Neo Member
I read yesterday that a big reason they are focusing on Japan first is that smartboxes (Apple TV, Roku etc.) haven't really lit up or even hit the Japanese market yet, so Sony is trying to become the established name for this market over there.

Well that really makes a lot of sense then, I'm looking at the Vita tv as a stream box for my PS4 once i get it and to play the great tittles vita has on a tv.

I haven't, but I can today. If anyone has any US retail requests I may be able accommodate today. Just let me know the title ASAP.

There is, yes, on the official Japanese site. As far as sales, I don't believe Sony has said anything yet. Keep an eye out for the media create thread.

Mk2020

Neo Member
Just received my ps Vita tv and i had no customs to pay I'm in the uk just to let people know who are in uk.

Zoe

exactly the same.

Bummer, not surprised though.

When installing apps, are you able to specify internal vs external card? If something is on the internal storage, what happens when you try to use another accounts content?

Zafir

Just received my ps Vita tv and i had no customs to pay I'm in the uk just to let people know who are in uk.
What courier and what store did you order from. Did they mark it down?

Mine should come tomorrow. Apparently they marked it down but dunno whether it's down enough to avoid customs. Delivered via FedEx which I've heard always charge customs if it's over.

Dragon

Banned
The problem is that the store isn't activated. You can log into a JP (or other supported Asia) account from anywhere.

Ah right. So I wonder if there's a way with proxies to remap it somehow, probably not worth the effort, but I want to do remote play dammit!

Edit: Even though it won't be out anyway because Japan doesn't have the PS4 yet.

NyxFe

Neo Member

As I posted above, the NA version of soul sacrifice does not run. The JP version runs but requires a patch (which doesn't exist for the US version, since nothing outside of japan is officially supported).

Ah right. So I wonder if there's a way with proxies to remap it somehow, probably not worth the effort, but I want to do remote play dammit!

Edit: Even though it won't be out anyway because Japan doesn't have the PS4 yet.

There isn't much you can do but either hope they allow Vita TVs to use US accounts in the future, or use a Japanese account. Your US account only exists on the US PSN servers, no amount of proxying is going to make it suddenly exist on the JP ones.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/game/psvitalist/ (Far-right column indicates the game needs a Vita TV-specific update in order to run)

Mk2020

Neo Member
What courier and what store did you order from. Did they mark it down?

Mine should come tomorrow. Apparently they marked it down but dunno whether it's down enough to avoid customs. Delivered via FedEx which I've heard always charge customs if it's over.

I got the Vita tv from Play-asia they use FedEX into economy i hope this helps

Mk2020

Neo Member
Bummer, not surprised though.

When installing apps, are you able to specify internal vs external card? If something is on the internal storage, what happens when you try to use another accounts content?

I've tried playing P4G its a USA import and it works fine using an japanese account i tried using my uk account and it would not let it said Vita tv not I'm my country.

Just to let you know on the PS Vita TV box it says region 2 and the game i played P4G is region 1 i don't know if this helps anyone else.

Zafir

I got the Vita tv from Play-asia they use FedEX into economy i hope this helps
Hmm. Not sure how true it is as I've never ordered using FedEx before but apparently they actually charge you import tax after delivery. I remember hearing complaints that they wait till you've gotten the item and opened it meaning you can't just send it back if you refuse to pay. It's what was worrying me. I'll have to see what happens to mine either way since mines FedEx too.

Mk2020

Neo Member
Hmm. Not sure how true it is as I've never ordered using FedEx before but apparently they actually charge you import tax after delivery. I remember hearing complaints that they wait till you've gotten the item and opened it meaning you can't just send it back if you refuse to pay. It's what was worrying me. I'll have to see what happens to mine either way since mines FedEx too.

I've looked at the customs note and it says nothing about charge as they normally put how much you owe on there, So if Fedex do try this stunt then ill report them to trading standards as that would not be right, the driver is say i did not owe anything but i will see soon ill post on here if they do try it on.

Mk2020

Neo Member
ok apps I've tried and don't work are Facebook, sony music unlimited and LBP vita don't work will try more later

Keys

I got mine yesterday... Since most of my games are digital I tried everything to get it cancelled but nippon-yasan had already shipped it.

I've only 6 games on card and only Persona 4 US and Muramasa US worked.
Virtue Last Reward, Rayman Origins, MotoGp 13 and WRC don't work.

I also tried to use the card from the Vita with my US account on it but it ask me to activate the PS Vita TV on that account by logging in it and I obsiously cannot do that.

I had to pay some import fees for it but I live in Italy and we pay taxes on everything so that wasn't really a surprise...

I've some JP games on card and I guess I'll enjoy them for now. If you've any question ask away.

Zafir

I've looked at the customs note and it says nothing about charge as they normally put how much you owe on there, So if Fedex do try this stunt then ill report them to trading standards as that would not be right, the driver is say i did not owe anything but i will see soon ill post on here if they do try it on.
Fair enough will do the same myself. Usually I just go with cheaper shipping but since this is a bit more expensive than what I usually buy I decided to go for now security.

Yes Boss!

I've some JP games on card and I guess I'll enjoy them for now. If you've any question ask away.

I'm curious how PS1 classics and stuff work. They are a bit crummy on PS3. I reckon it is the same here.

Also, can you plug in an arcade stick in the back USB port? Or is this thing just wireless DS3? Important for me for Cabinet playback which is equipped with a PS360s.

Guess I'll know soon enough.

Keys

I'm curious how PS1 classics and stuff work. They are a bit crummy on PS3. I reckon it is the same here.

Also, can you plug in an arcade stick in the back USB port? Or is this thing just wireless DS3? Important for me for Cabinet playback which is equipped with a PS360s.

Guess I'll know soon enough.

Don't have any ps1 games on my JP account or an arcade stick to try but if they work on ps3 I guess they'll work on the Vita TV too.
I noticed that when you set it in stand by mode and then connect a DS3 with an USB cable it keep charging it like the PS4.

necroticart

Neo Member
Well I got mine yesterday and the only US game I got working was Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. It plays just like the ps3 version control wise. Tonight I'm going to try pluging in arcade stick to see if it will work.

If anyone's curious about the device re: game capture, it uses HDCP. I've been able to work around that at this point so I can get direct-feed video, but it's just that: video. I don't currently have the ability to pull audio from HDMI and the VitaTV has no analog outputs (it's strictly HDMI).

It has arrived :)

irxH6qwmG0ys2.jpg

iUdCqLi3ViNIw.jpg

I'll try and report back with some impressions, however I am a bit time limited at the moment so it might not be right away. I'll get it fired up as soon as I can, keen to try out some PAL (UK) cards, fingers crossed...

Top Bottom