• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

Wizeguy21

wsippel said:
I assume it was posted already, but I didn't see it - Geohot responded:

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/03/dont-update.html

After seeing Geohot's reply! It got me thinking.. maybe Sony chose April 1st on purpose. Not so much as a JOKE.. but as using the fact that is April 1st as a way to pull out. So Basically test the waters so to speak.

Tell everyone OS support is gone, see reaction. If its favorable proceed. If its not "APRIL FOOLS!!!"..

Touché Sony

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
chubigans said:
Hadn't intended for CFW my ass.
Well if he was going to be able to eventually get homebrew stuff booted up without needing to mess with the firmware, why would he have intended to do it?

racerx

Banned
englishbob said:
Surely for something else in another thread, the last post in the thread here made sense?

No, I'm pretty sure he was banned because he was equating hacking with piracy. Hacking != piracy. Hacking has many legitimate uses.

It's funny because Dragona, a mod, had almost made the same equating earlier.

I personally think the mods should ease up banning people for this.

JudgeN

gundamkyoukai said:
Just another way for him to try and get some attention .
Him saying he was not going to touch CFW was a joke .

Seriously, he hasn't come up with anything meaning before and he not going to come up with anything meaningful now. BUT IF THEY WANT TO PLAY THAT WAY :lol :lol

Maybe when he shows up with the PS3 root key then we will begin to see the PS3 truly hacked.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
racerx said:
It's funny because Dragona, a mod, had almost made the same equating earlier.
What? No she didn't. And she's one the main driving forces behind the hacking/homebrew != privacy thing.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
chubigans said:
That guy is so full of it. :lol

Hadn't intended for CFW my ass.
Did he create a custom firmware for iPhone? Hackers are extremely intelligent people with short span attention. Once they reach their goal they move onto their next one. These hackers open up paths for others with that may be less techies but more interested in the subject to continue (since we are talking about firmware, CFW developers).

I don't think he will stay with the PS3 for too long, but what he has done is important for the (bigger) PS hacker community.

missile

cRIPticon said:
Oh lord...INTERNETZ RAGEZ! I guess that we can say that the 2% of juniors here also don't think before making dumb analogies.
Given that only 2% of all PS3 users use PS3Linux, you might be able to calculate how
many people in numbers actually use it if we consider that about 30 millions phat PS3s
were sold.

It's pretty clear that the waste majority doesn't use PS3Linux, obviously, but this doesn't
say that those who do are not worth to be considered.

Oh here comes Geohot's big talk. My heart goes out to the losers that will be waiting for his CFW a year from now, having sacrificed PSN useage and a fair few big new games :lol

lupinko

Crisis said:
Seriously. Isn't this the same asshole who wrote a blog essay on how he wanted piracy to happen? Fuck him.

He said something about if you are going to go through all the effort to hardmod/etc your machine, you should be entitled to free games given that or whatever.

It was nice having the thought I could install Linux on my PS3, but in all honesty I have never used it. If I wanted Linux I guess I could partition it to my custom build PC that's hooked up to my HDtv.

A part of my says it sucks, notably my more PC side, but I'll upgrade my firmware with no real regrets.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
SecretBonusPoint said:
Oh here comes Geohot's big talk. My heart goes out to the losers that will be waiting for his CFW a year from now, having sacrificed PSN useage and a fair few big new games :lol
Comments like this makes me hope his next exploit involves PS3 phat PS2 backwards compatibility so that Sony removes it from all models (even those with the EE).

What people will do to defend companies they support drives me crazy.

cgcg

RedNumberFive said:
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

You must be a big fan of the "war on terror".

Let me guess. That's why you bought the PS3 in the first place. For its proprietary freedom.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ReyBrujo said:
Comments like this makes me hope his next exploit involves PS3 phat PS2 backwards compatibility so that Sony removes it from all models (even those with the EE).

What people will do to defend companies they support drives me crazy.
Not supporting geohot=defending Sony eh?

racerx

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
What? No she didn't. And she's one the main driving forces behind the hacking/homebrew != privacy thing.

Well, dragona said on post #550 that the reason MS bans people from xbox live is because of using pirated software. I could be wrong, but I think MS bans people because of the custom dvd firmware. There is no proof that all people who use custom dvd firmware are using pirated games or MS's code. So, depending on how you interpret Dragona's post, some could argue that dragona is accusing people of custom firmwares as pirates which is not necessarilyt the case.

My point is this, this whole equating hacks with piracy is a slippery slope, banning people for this this transgression is too harsh. Give a warning or something.

If this is for real, it's a bit disappointing. Not because I use Other OS on my fat, I don't, but because I always thought that ONE DAY linux on PS3 would evolve to the point of being fast, stable and useful enough for enhanced media server or emulation use.

I guess that day will never come now.

If they want to clean up and remove some features, how about all of those useless links on XMB cluttering it up like the permalinks to Home, Store Everywhere, Picture App and Whats New? I hate that shit.

"This is for REAL!!! CONFIRMED WITH SONY!!!! THE UPDATE WILL WIPE THE ENTIRE HDD IF LINUX IS INSTALLED."

That was in the comments on the blog. What? I have a hard time believing this... and hope it's not the case, I do have a loader installed from a LiveCD ages ago.

Vagabundo

Sony have basically just legitimised his cred. He now has a shot in the arm to continue what he was doing, instead of just fading away as the new shiny gets his attention. Bad Sony, BAD....

racerx said:
Well, dragona said on post #550 that the reason MS bans people from xbox live is because of using pirated software. I could be wrong, but I think MS bans people because of the custom dvd firmware. There is no proof that all people who use custom dvd firmware are using pirated games or MS's code. So, depending on how you interpret Dragona's post, some could argue that dragona is accusing people of custom firmwares as pirates which is not necessarilyt the case.

My point is this, this whole equating hacks with piracy is a slippery slope, banning people for this this transgression is too harsh. Give a warning or something.

With the 360, literally the only reason for a good while for hacking the 360 was piracy. Why? Because homebrew didn't exactly exist for it.

missile

What about a "firmware update" that removes the GameOS, i.e. the Hypervisor and its logical
partitions, making the PS3 an entirely free system for those who are just interested in the
hardware? I would pay $500 for such a system.

racerx

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
With the 360, literally the only reason for a good while for hacking the 360 was piracy. Why? Because homebrew didn't exactly exist for it.

really? Couldn't people who have custom dvd firmware be simply playing their own backed-up games? couldn't people be using a custom dvd firmware because they needed to replace their own broken dvd drive?

grumble

Isn't it the case that when consoles are hacked, they usually end up with users that can play pirated games? There is a tendency for hacking consoles to lead to piracy, though they may not be the same thing.

It makes sense to not be in support of hacking if it does have this consequence, as it's a disincentive for people to make games for the system, and games for the system is what consumers want.

Frankly, the whole thing is overblown.

racerx said:
really? Couldn't people who have custom dvd firmware be simply playing their own backed-up games? couldn't people be using a custom dvd firmware because they needed to replace their own broken dvd drive?

I tend to question the person who constantly has to play back-up dvds.

expy

Banned
racerx said:
Tell that to the MILLIONS of banned 360 users.

flyover

ScrabbleBanshee said:
If this is for real, it's a bit disappointing. Not because I use Other OS on my fat, I don't, but because I always thought that ONE DAY linux on PS3 would evolve to the point of being fast, stable and useful enough for enhanced media server or emulation use...

...If they want to clean up and remove some features, how about all of those useless links on XMB cluttering it up like the permalinks to Home, Store Everywhere, Picture App and Whats New? I hate that shit.

No kidding. Personally, I was hoping that -- if they removed something -- it'd be mandatory trophy notifications, not this.

Shambles

ReyBrujo said:
You know, they patented degradable video games. But who knew they could apply it to video game systems.

Makes sense eh. Pay 600$ up front for a fully functioning console. Removing features and decrease price with time. Before the next generation of consoles kick in the PS3 will be 200$ have 1 USB port, no HDMI and BC removed from selected models.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It would be amazing if Geohot has been bluffing this whole time, sending out fakes, etc. only to have Sony remove Linux as a precaution in fear of him having figured something out. :lol

Dragon

Banned
Shambles said:
Makes sense eh. Pay 600$ up front for a fully functioning console. Removing features and decrease price with time. Before the next generation of consoles kick in the PS3 will be 200$ have 1 USB port, no HDMI and BC removed from selected models.

Dude I see you're sliding down that slippery slope, want me to toss you a rope?

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It was nice having the thought I could install Linux on my PS3, but in all honesty I have never used it. If I wanted Linux I guess I could partition it to my custom build PC that's hooked up to my HDtv.

A part of my says it sucks, notably my more PC side, but I'll upgrade my firmware with no real regrets.

Exact same thoughts.

Boss Man

It's a FREE update!

...er, wait a second. Still not good.

Really Sony? You could at least throw one thing in there to look a little less transparent. An update that does nothing but remove a feature is depressing.

I still want cross-game voice chat.

expy said:
Tell that to the MILLIONS of banned 360 users.

That's because they took their units online. Smart folks won't do that and this brings up a valid point... does Sony have the ability to see from online if a console has been hacked? I would like CFW for the PS3 since there are a bunch of little tweaks I would love to make to the system. First up, remove the f'ing ticker.

jepjepjep

Shambles said:

They could completely eliminate piracy if they removed controller support. Please Sony, make it happen, I'll give you my moneyz.

Somnid said:
Your PS3 will behave exactly as it did out of the box with no internet connection so you will have no loss of functionality. You just don't get the after-market support. You can understand that if there were a lawsuit to go through it would set some ugly precedents. I could using the same logic to sue Evil Lore for removing vBulletin search because it was my expectation I would have that by joining NeoGaf and stupid things like that. They can't make you upgrade but you can't sue them for deprecating features in any sane legal system.

Not true. If you don't or can't update the firmware in a Blu-Ray player, you can still watch every movie that releases. If you don't update the firmware in your PS3, new games won't run.

And your GAF analogy falls flat on its face immediately, because you didn't pay $600 (I hope) to post here.

expy

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
That's because they took their units online. Smart folks won't do that and this brings up a valid point... does Sony have the ability to see from online if a console has been hacked? I would like CFW for the PS3 since there are a bunch of little tweaks I would love to make to the system. First up, remove the f'ing ticker.
That doesn't change the fact piracy was rampant on that box.

coopolon

Leondexter said:
If you don't or can't update the firmware in a Blu-Ray player, you can still watch every movie that releases.

Wait, is this true? I thought newer BluRays can't be played on really old BluRay players because of changes to the format. If this is the case, fuck it, I just won't update. I'm fine not playing any new Sony games and all the rest I'll get on PC or 360.

IPoopStandingUp said:
It would be amazing if Geohot has been bluffing this whole time, sending out fakes, etc. only to have Sony remove Linux as a precaution in fear of him having figured something out. :lol

Naw man, he hasn't even been trying until now. But now, he's serios.

coopolon said:
Wait, is this true? I thought newer BluRays can't be played on really old BluRay players because of changes to the format. If this is the case, fuck it, I just won't update. I'm fine not playing any new Sony games and all the rest I'll get on PC or 360.

Yes. I had to do it myself for someone's older blu-ray player that didn't have an Ethernet port but couldn't play some of the newer blu-rays. You end up burning the update ISO to a DVD that you download from the manufactures website and upgrading from it.

coopolon

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yes. I had to do it myself for someone's older blu-ray player that didn't have an Ethernet port but couldn't play some of the newer blu-rays. You end up burning the update ISO to a DVD that you download from the manufactures website and upgrading from it.

Right, but if you don't update the firmware, that means you can't update the BluRay functionality either, which means eventually you won't be able to play newer BluRay movies. I watch a lot of BluRays, so even if it is a year or two from now, it will eventually effect me.

coopolon said:
Right, but if you don't update the firmware, that means you can't update the BluRay functionality either, which means eventually you won't be able to play newer BluRay movies. I watch a lot of BluRays, so even if it is a year or two from now, it will eventually effect me.

That was during the early days of BD when the format was still undergoing a lot of growing pains. It's pretty much reached a standard now that is unlikely to ever change aside from the addition of 3D which you will miss.

Top Bottom