• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

It shouldn't be a controversial statement to say that there is a strong correlation between hacking a system and piracy on that system, but whatever.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
this thead has abnormally high percent of posters who don't care about the subject. that's before counting the posters who vigorously try to persuade everybody why they should not care either. i wonder why.

englishbob

Neo Member
lupinko said:
Elan tedronai
Banned
(Today, 10:30 AM)

Wow, that was fast. o_O

This thread is definitely serious business.

Surely for something else in another thread, the last post in the thread here made sense?

Oozinator

Banned
I don't like their b.s PR wording of "due to security concerns", they make it sound as if it was some kind of anti-terrorism measures to protect national security and innocent lifes :S

So, if I choose to not update, I won't be able to play the games that require newer firmware versions ??

JudgeN

Oozinator said:
I don't like their b.s PR wording of "due to security concerns", they make it sound as if it was some kind of anti-terrorism measures to protect national security and innocent lifes :S

So, if I choose to not update, I won't be able to play the games that require newer firmware versions ??

Correct you won't be able to play newer games that use newer firmware or use PSN at all. Now the question is do you even have linux installed?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oozinator said:

Probably. Very serious Linux hobbyists could always buy another PS3 and "branch" if they want to keep playing PS3 games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You know it's funny...here I am laughing at all the lawsuit claims, and I just now got a check from the GTA San Andreas lawsuit for five big dollars. Talk about timing. :lol

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Don't really care about other OS being removed, but I'm more pissed off that this is a negative update, why not add some features in this update as well?

lupinko

chubigans said:
You know it's funny...here I am laughing at all the lawsuit claims, and I just now got a check from the GTA San Andreas lawsuit for five big dollars. Talk about timing. :lol

That's awesome. :lol

MultiCore

I'd like to officially register my outrage. Sony is now removing functionality that I'm using from hardware that I paid for, and have otherwise not tampered with in any way?

Yeah, thanks a lot Sony. I know it seems to be an absurd joke, but I fully expect the hardware B/C to be disabled in the next 'update'.

Between this and my 2nd 360 RRoD'ing, it's been a rough week for gaming for me.

*Hugs Clevo D900f*

spwolf

blu said:
this thead has abnormally high percent of posters who don't care about the subject. that's before counting the posters who vigorously try to persuade everybody why they should not care either. i wonder why.

it was not feature widely used because for end-user use, it wasnt that useful (you could not play mkvs properly for instance). I completely understand those who bought it for research purposes, completely. It was very cost effective way to get into cell research.

Too bad linux actually never took off on PS3... I am sure if it did, a LOT more would be bitching about it, and Sony would probably still remove it ;-).

What is the cost of test/debug kits for edus? Hopefully it is lower than normal cost.

Somnid

Oozinator said:

Do you were a mask when your PC gets a "virus" or do you not appreciate that "security" means different things in different contexts. Algorithms intending to protect proprietary data are also called "security" and it's not unnatural to use that terminology.

spwolf

Oozinator said:

and probably not be able to play online? Usually if it is required firmware, you can not go online.

jepjepjep

Hex said:
Waits to see all of the people gasping and crying unfair who have never once loaded linux on their PS3
Oh, as usual I am late to the party.

I have loaded linux on my PS3 and this shit pisses me off.

Why the hell are you okay with Sony removing advertised features of their system?

The linux support was a MAJOR selling point when the PS3 was new and $400+.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GSG Flash said:
Don't really care about other OS being removed, but I'm more pissed off that this is a negative update, why not add some features in this update as well?

You think they will call the Clock a security risk??

Crisis

Banned
jepjepjep said:

Why the hell are you okay with Sony removing advertised features of their system?

Are you sure about that? Really sure?

hauton

The Faceless Master said:
yeah dude, how dare someone that paid for something actually feel entitled to have and useit?
Yeah they're free to sell their PS3 in exchange for the other console that ever attempted opensource OS for free.

owait

jepjepjep said:

No, it wasn't.

grumble

jonabbey said:
For some of us it was a significant attraction.

For very few of us it was a significant attraction. Most people don't even know what Linux is. Saying that 'for a thousand people it was a major selling point' is different than saying 'it was a major selling point'.

DeadGzuz

Banned
jepjepjep said:

You do, really? Or are you just feigning rage?

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/features/ps_ps3_otherfeatures.html

Where is it advertised?

It was never a selling point, it was a "oh that is interesting" feature to nerds like myself, but then when it was experimented with you realized how useless it was to run a computer with 200MB of RAM.

Unfortunate to hear, though I can't say I'm surprised.

My guess would be that the costs in supporting other operating systems for the PS3 (eg. writing drivers) just wasn't a sensible cost move for Sony. It was likely the reason why they took out that feature in later revisions of the PS3.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Can't believe I may have to actually buy another PS3 because of this update. Sigh.

I don't actually use the Other OS function for Linux anymore, but I hate the thought of losing the feature :/

missile

Audioboxer87 said:
Why would the PS3Move controller work with Linux ootb?
Does the PS3 Eye even have drivers for Linux? And if it does, does ALL the functionality of the Eye work or is it restricted?

For a start the Eye would need to be fully functional.
Well, the PS3 Eye works with PS3Linux, since the chip inside the cam is just
a standard one.

I think the PS Move will work just like the DS3 does. The PS Eye is just
additional to the PS Move, but not necessary for its primary functionality

MultiCore

greatestjediever said:
Unfortunate to hear, though I can't say I'm surprised.

My guess would be that the costs in supporting other operating systems for the PS3 (eg. writing drivers) just wasn't a sensible cost move for Sony. It was likely the reason why they took out that feature in later revisions of the PS3.

Sony doesn't write drivers for the ps3 linux distros, I assure you. Even if they did, it has no bearing on why this feature is being removed now.

missile

Riskbreaker23 said:
... i can think of a lot better and cheaper ways to experience linux than on a ps3. ...
It's not about experiencing Linux with the PS3. It's about experiencing the PS3 with Linux.

cRIPticon

jepjepjep said:

Serious? For you, perhaps. As someone who, indeed, has Yellow Dog linux installed on his system, it was an interesting experiment that really went nowhere. If it is between running linux on a game console vs, securing their entire online eco-system for revenue generation and publication, I say kill the linux crap.

As for removing this particular feature, so what? Removing linux support /= removing backwards compatibility, as so many other posts are "expecting" with failed sarcasm. If you want to run linux and do development, then just run it on your desktop/laptop. Which makes me think, how many people posting here re using Linux anyway? I would venture to guess a minority.

EDIT: This also brings all of their installed base into alignment for single builds for release without worrying about esoteric exploits from segments of that same base. Has to be a good time/cost savings there from a release/testing standpoint.

jonabbey said:
For some of us it was a significant attraction.

Then perhaps the 12 of you should write a letter to Sony? :D Seriously, if it was such an attraction to have a linux box connected to your TV, spend the $400 and build a system that is much more competent than Linux on PS3.

jepjepjep

DeadGzuz said:
You do, really? Or are you just feigning rage?

Yes, you're right. I've never loaded linux before. I made that up so that I could pretend to be upset.

DeadGzuz said:

That's web content. It obviously gets modified as time goes on to reflect the current marketing push. Back when the PS3 was new, part of the justification for it's high selling price was that it could be used as a full linux computer.

DeadGzuz said:
It was never a selling point, it was a "oh that is interesting" feature to nerds like myself, but then when it was experimented with you realized how useless it was to run a computer with 200MB of RAM.

Maybe for watching youtube videos, but it has 7 spe's. It's very similar to a modern supercomputer (limited ram but very high computing capability). You could do a lot of cool stuff with it if you write your own code. It also makes a killer web and file server, etc.

Banned
GSG Flash said:

They should at least throw in some speed enhancements to sweeten the deal.

Wizeguy21

Why did sony choose to announce the firmware like this? Why not at least soften the blow and also add/mention other features coming along side this update. I'm sure if cross chat game chat would be included in this update everyone would take this slightly better.

spwolf

jepjepjep said:
Maybe for watching youtube videos, but it has 7 spe's. It's very similar to a modern supercomputer (limited ram but very high computing capability). You could do a lot of cool stuff with it if you write your own code. It also makes a killer web and file server, etc.

well i wouldnt use that as one of the arguments... what is wrong here is actual PS3 users not being able to use linux - those people who still want to play games and use linux on same ps3.

if you wanted to use ps3 as web server or whatever else, you can still use it like that. Although I am not sure why do you think Sony should be subsidizing hardware for that kind of use.

sajj316

I'm fine with Linux being removed. Will be another moot point 3 months later just like when Sony removed the card readers, usb slots, and bc.

spwolf

Wizeguy21 said:
Why did sony choose to announce the firmware like this? Why not at least soften the blow and also add/mention other features coming along side this update. I'm sure if cross chat game chat would be included in this update everyone would take this slightly better.

not an first or last time Sony has made mistake... big boys @ HQ probably wanted this out asap and who knows what was the state of development of other features at this point...

sajj316

spwolf said:
not an first or last time Sony has made mistake... big boys @ HQ probably wanted this out asap and who knows what was the state of development of other features at this point...

Exactly. This is a top down move to combat piracy. Nothing more.

I'm not getting in the middle of this argument ... back to GOW3 :D

EDIT: Can I take my comment back of being ok with having Linux removed??

Koren

jepjepjep said:
It was indeed a sellong point for a very very limited number of people (some of them bought a PS3 because of this), and an additionnal motivation for others (I wanted to test an algorithm on Cell, and was excited about Linux support because of that, but I never found time to do this).

I'm really disappointed that they remove this, for most probably no valid reason, but for most people, it won't matter. Still, they could have left it there.

Audioboxer87 said:
Why would the PS3Move controller work with Linux ootb?

Does the PS3 Eye even have drivers for Linux? And if it does, does ALL the functionality of the Eye work or is it restricted?

For a start the Eye would need to be fully functional.
The PSEye has nothing special (and it works as a webcam on Linux). The Move will probably be hacked really easily, like wiimote. There is no problem doing demos with Move, you'll just have to do them on PC instead of PS3.

DeadGzuz said:
It used to be...

"In addition to playing games, watching movies, listening to music, and viewing photos, you can use the PS3™ system to run the Linux operating system. By installing the Linux operating system, you can use the PS3™ system not only as an entry-level personal computer with hundreds of familiar applications for home and office use, but also as a complete development environment for the Cell Broadband Engine™"

Wizeguy21

spwolf said:

True.. but some common sense would of helped them out tremendously! They could of had another hilarious video with Kevin Butler breaking the news and things would of gone much smoother..

Dwayne

Curious, has anyone taken the "thanks geohot, you ruined the fun for everyone" angle? This is all happening because of him after all. Sony is just trying to protect itself and the consumer.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't care about Linux.

but I am disappointed that there is no new features announced for this new FW , since last system update we got was in December and add just Mini emulator and Data Transfer via lan.

snap0212

Dwayne said:
Curious, has anyone taken the "thanks geohot, you ruined the fun for everyone" angle? This is all happening because of him after all. Sony is just trying to protect itself and the consumer.
The consumer?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
wsippel said:
I assume it was posted already, but I didn't see it - Geohot responded:

Don't Update

A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play...

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/03/dont-update.html
Oh snap.

Top Bottom