• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DeadGzuz said:
No doubt some small group will miss the feature (if they update the firmware), but this thread is full of trolling, not real concern.

This is Neogaf - we have a lot of small groups who're super into stuff like this. We're not the mainstream and so we're disproportionately sweated by the small stuff. I'm not one of the affected, but it's a major feature, was a big selling point for the console and Sony itself was sensitive to the subject at the launch of the slim.

So the reactions seem pretty fair, under the circumstances. I don't see a lot of trolling. I was steamed when I discovered my Slim didn't have SACD after I bought it, even though I only have three SACDs. Doesn't have to be a big problem to be an annoying issue.

Azerach said:
We don't know what 'security issues' Sony is concerned about. Most people assume it's only about piracy, but what if everyones PSN accounts were at risk? what if your credit card info could be fished with whatever means because of a hack? IMHO it's better to avoid these problems before anything goes REALLY wrong.

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

You must be a big fan of the "war on terror".

youta

I don't use the PSN, and there's a very nice library of games already which will keep me occupied for a long, long time, so I'll just update to 3.15 and be done with it.

However, if I were to buy a game and it requires a firmware update, can I return it? Is there any way to tell what firmware version does a game need so I can check before I purchase it?

Massa

gofreak said:
There is nothing wrong with OtherOS, with the installation mechanism, the loading mechanism etc. It's simply what people are doing with Linux that's got Sony scared.

If there's nothing wrong with it then Sony shouldn't be scared as they designed it in a way that doesn't affect GameOS in the least.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So, have they announced any new features?

Speevy

Banned
RedNumberFive said:
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

You must be a big fan of the "war on terror".

You must be a big fan of baseless assumptions. Guy was just speculating.

Kinan said:
Want to play with analogies? Ok.

Imaging a monastery, or, better, a sanctuary on top of the Everest, full of peaceful, spiritual people devoted to studies of Cell God. Its isolated, with access allowed only for people with clean thoughts.

And then one day the brave adventurer Hillary founds a new way to the top, the way that everyone can use now. While many, including some people in the sanctuary, applauds him for his achievement, an international mafia notices that this territory doesn't have any regulations and with newly open easy access to eat is a perfect spot for illegal operations. In the short time the plans for "top of the world" whorehouse on the side of the sanctuary are prepared and first building blocks are delivered.

The God, angered by this sacrilege, removes the top of the Everest altogether, burying the Hillary's way, but also destroying the sanctuary in the process.

I'm sure many people in the sanctuary would also say "Fuck you Hillary".

Fuck you Geohot.
no, i'd say "fuck you god, you giant fucking asshole!"

youta said:
I don't use the PSN, and there's a very nice library of games already which will keep me occupied for a long, long time, so I'll just update to 3.15 and be done with it.

However, if I were to buy a game and it requires a firmware update, can I return it? Is there any way to tell what firmware version does a game need so I can check before I purchase it?

That's the catch 22 my friend. You can't read the EULA until you open it, and you can't return an opened game.

pyros

DeadGzuz said:
What do you use it for? I installed Linux back at release. As a computer it's too slow to be useful, not enough RAM. It is mildly useful for learning SPU/Cell programming, but they also have an emulator for that.

No doubt some small group will miss the feature (if they update the firmware), but this thread is full of trolling, not real concern.

As a media centre using Ubuntu in my games room, please, not all of us are trolls or fanboys

Speevy said:
You must be a big fan of baseless assumptions. Guy was just speculating.

I'm admitedly being facetious, I just don't care for the fearmongering over "security" in this thread, where there has been no reason to assume it's an issue.

Vyer

Fersis said:
So, have they announced any new features?

I wish I could hear something about this. I mean obviously there's going to be something.

It seems really crazy that they would announce this with a release but not mention the actual new features. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Massa said:
If there's nothing wrong with it then Sony shouldn't be scared as they designed it in a way that doesn't affect GameOS in the least.

There's nothing wrong with OtherOS in the sense that it works, and there may be nothing wrong with it specifically from a security POV either. But there might be plenty 'wrong' with the GameOS in general or the hypervisor from a security POV. Sony, I guess, is worried that Linux is making it too easy for some people to see those problems and exploit them.

missile

sankt-Antonio said:
man you are wasting your time.
nobody needs/wants linux on ps3 and for what do students need another fem tool? there are plenty to choose from as a student today, not one single student is going to fuck around on his ps3 if he can
a) get semester licences or
b) go to the pc-rooms filled with shitloads of FEM software

plus, if you are so hardcore about it, buy a second ps3 for gaming. still cheaper than an ibm cell blade, right?

you are not the target audience and have no right whatsoever starting to bitch around, you got a cell for dirty cheap ... wanna game? buy a ps3 slim.
Seems like you got plenty of time to re-read my post again.

j-wood said:
... I'm not a programming but do you really notice that much of a huge difference using linux with the cell? I'm surprised it was even optimized enough to do that. ...
This is not the point. The point is that you gain access to the SPEs and stuff
like that. Linux makes it even easier to communicate with the SPEs. Another
thing is that working with the PS3, from an embedded point of view, is quite
interesting. Working under constrains really teaches a lot of things. A pure
gamer doesn't care about it, for sure, but I guess there are also many gamers
out there following an interest in a lot of technical stuff. How do you think
most game developers started out?

Azerach said:
'due to security concerns, we’re now removing this feature.'

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/29/ps3-firmware-3-21-coming-april-1st/

The only "security concern" out there isn't much more than a Hello World, not the hacking of PSN accounts, and theft of credit card numbers, as the aforementioned poster referred to. A removal of a significant paid for feature (to some), on a vague mention of security concerns is not a satisfying response to me. Regardless, Azerach, I get it. You don't use Linux on your PS3, and those of us that do have a baseless arguement.

Zoe

So will they allow you to reclaim any space allocated to the Other OS without doing a full reformat?

beast786

*Will Tag this thread*

Cant wait to bump it in about month when all of the people bitching and crying about it wouldnt give a shit .

AndyD

aka andydumi
RedNumberFive said:
That's the catch 22 my friend. You can't read the EULA until you open it, and you can't return an opened game.

That is incorrect.

The back of the packaging states the website where you can find the EULA prior to purchase. And you can contact the manufacturer and return if you do not agree to the EULA once you open it and read it as well.

I don't know that anyone ever tried it though. And as soon as you use it, you have accepted the EULA.

beast786

Zoe said:
So will they allow you to reclaim any space allocated to the Other OS without doing a full reformat?

Thats a good point, i was wondering the same thing. Would free up alot fo my un-used space :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
pyros said:
As a media centre using Ubuntu in my games room, please, not all of us are trolls or fanboys

I wasn't talking about you, I was referring to the other 500+ replies, most of them don't own a PS3 let alone use OtherOS. You boot back and forth to play media in Linux on the PS3? Why can you not just play the media from the XBM?

AndyD said:
That is incorrect.

The back of the packaging states the website where you can find the EULA prior to purchase. And you can contact the manufacturer and return if you do not agree to the EULA once you open it and read it as well.

I don't know that anyone ever tried it though. And as soon as you use it, you have accepted the EULA.

Well I learned something today. Thanks!

DeadGzuz said:
I wasn't talking about you, I was referring to the other 500+ replies, most of them don't own a PS3 let alone use OtherOS. You boot back and forth to play media in Linux on the PS3? Why can you not just play the media from the XBM?

The PS3 OS is a much better media server anyway, due to restricted Linux GPU access, I sincerely doubt ~25mbps Blu Ray rips from your discs play without st-st-st-stuttering.

Last I heard 720p was manageable, 1080p was pretty bad on Linux.

Use PS3MediaServer and you've got an "HTPC" that can play everything.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DeadGzuz said:

There are a lot of multi-console owners on gaf. Calling them all trolls isn't helpful. Why can't you just accept that this affects and upsets some portion of the site and move on?

Haunted

Never used that shit, so it doesn't affect me personally.

Still sucks for those that do. Updates should never remove features. Same thing with the Wii and MP3 support a while back.

The bitching is justified.

RedNumberFive said:
Personally, I don't use my CD player (aux input FTW), so I think it's fine that they are removed from all of your vehicles. CD players are not secure, because you can play burnt CDRs. I think it is a necessary security precaution, and I am willing to give up my freedoms so that the RIAA gets their fair due. If you MUST have one, just buy a discman. Simple as that!
:lol

OuterWorldVoice said:
There are a lot of multi-console owners on gaf. Calling them all trolls isn't helpful. Why can't you just accept that this affects and upsets some portion of the site and move on?
But that would make Sony look bad and we just can't have that, I'm afraid.

Shambles

EmCeeGramr said:
GAFfer tendencies to to defend corporations screwing over consumers and developers has gotten so fucking disturbing in the last few years.

It really makes you wonder how infected the forums have become with shills and lobbyists. I have a hard time believing the average customer shares the opinion of the average gaf poster. When it comes to viral marketing and trying to influence the hardcore marketplace gaf would be your first target.

-PXG-

RedNumberFive said:
Personally, I don't use my CD player (aux input FTW), so I think it's fine that they are removed from all of your vehicles. CD players are not secure, because you can play burnt CDRs. I think it is a necessary security precaution, and I am willing to give up my freedoms so that the RIAA gets their fair due. If you MUST have one, just buy a discman. Simple as that!

I never say stuff like this on GAF, but

That is fucking retarded.

Or...

Sony found an exploit from OtherOS which can crack the system wide open.
This exploit has yet to be found so they are trying to kill it now before wankers like Geohot can exploit it.

That would actually make the most sense although I doubt it will work.

Anyone who wanted a PS3 for programming/hacking with Linux will have one already or will most certainly be able to grab one off E-Bay.

pyros

DeadGzuz said:

streamed from a 5tb server to ps3

mr_chun

Haunted said:
Same thing with the Wii and MP3 support a while back.
Ha, I never installed that update to the Photo Channel. I saw that it took out MP3 compatibility and added nothing useful, so I just skipped over it. You can still do console updates and play all of the games on the system without updating the Photo Channel, so just don't do it. :lol

j-wood

Massa said:
Linux isn't, OtherOS is. That's what's allegedly broken and that's what they're removing instead of fixing.

Dude...just not. OtherOS isn't broken. That isn't what is allow people to explore for loopholes and program. All that is a way to install linux. Linux is the problem. So you take away the option to install it.

Has no one in here realized that Sony does internal security testing? Most likely, someone on their security team has found a large hole that is easily found if you are using Linux on the PS3, so the option has to go.

Anyone who thinks it's because some guy said on the internet "I found a loophole using linux!" is the reason it's being removed is clueless on the whole situation.

Mudkips

Banned
iapetus said:
There are plenty of consumer rights under EU law that you can't give away through an EULA. Some of them look like they might apply in this case.

And there are plenty of said rights in the US.
And EULA's are not a legal contract.
And minors can't enter into a legal contract anyway.
etc.

It's bullshit and anyone complacent with it is my enemy.
You're the ones who support the HD tax.
You're the ones who support retailer exclusive content.
You're the ones who support horse armor, costume packs, and day-1 dlc unlock codes.
You're the ones who support exclusive/free content tied to keys (killing the used market).
You're the ones who don't give a shit about them adding ads into a game you've already purchased.

You're the ones who don't see where this shitty generation is leading us.

Some required reading for the inexplicable defense force:
aet7ki.jpg

pyros said:
streamed from a 5tb server to ps3

That sounds.... fishy.

So is this server in your own possession? As in, in your house?

If so do as I said, stream with PS3MediaServer. It supports DTS/HD audio, and any bitrate of AVC is fine.

At 5TB one would assume you're using 1080p/Loseless encodes, and there's no way they stream fine on Linux, the PS3 has crippled GPU access.

Mudkips said:
etc.

You're the ones who support horse armor, costume packs, and day-1 dlc unlock codes.
You're the ones who support exclusive/free content tied to keys (killing the used market).
You're the ones who don't give a shit about them adding ads into a game you've already purchased.

aet7ki.jpg

Mudkips, you are my new favorite GAFfer. I thought I was the only one who remembered the days without all this bullshit.

beast786 said:
*Will Tag this thread*

Cant wait to bump it in about month when all of the people bitching and crying about it wouldnt give a shit .

I'm not aiming this at you in particular but it seems to me that theres just as much (if not more) bitching and crying from the people that say they don't care about it. If you don't care then why come in here to rage about how much you don't care? I don't get it.

snap0212

Mudkips said:
etc.

You're the one who is awesome!

*high fives*

You know what's a big shame,

I bet people would have made some cool things with the Playstation Move controller and Linux.

To bad that's not going to happen on the ps3 platform.

Argyle

UntoldDreams said:
Or...

Sony found an exploit from OtherOS which can crack the system wide open.
This exploit has yet to be found so they are trying to kill it now before wankers like Geohot can exploit it.

That would actually make the most sense although I doubt it will work.

Anyone who wanted a PS3 for programming/hacking with Linux will have one already or will most certainly be able to grab one off E-Bay.

This is my take on it too...I haven't been following geohotz for a while but it seemed like he was able to run the isolated SPU to at least run the decryption on encrypted GameOS data...

Speculating here - maybe Sony saw the endgame as the hackers being able to decrypt the GameOS itself, then modifying it to boot in OtherOS the way the PSP has been hacked...so a user could have a fully updated legit GameOS, and a hacked GameOS running in OtherOS for piracy, etc. Even if you push another FW update, the hackers would just install it on their PS3, then boot into OtherOS to decrypt it before they modify it again. Killing OtherOS kills this cycle - a new FW update comes out but there is no way to boot into OtherOS now to decrypt the new firmware.

Either way, I'm not thrilled about it because I am one of those people that was "someday" going to noodle around with programming the CELL in PS3 Linux, so this has pushed me into ordering a PS3 Slim from Amazon to replace a retiring Phat :p

SirIgbyCeaser said:
You know what's a big shame,

I bet people would have made some cool things with the Playstation Move controller and Linux.

To bad that's not going to happen on the ps3 platform.

Why would the PS3Move controller work with Linux ootb?

Does the PS3 Eye even have drivers for Linux? And if it does, does ALL the functionality of the Eye work or is it restricted?

For a start the Eye would need to be fully functional.

Mudkips said:
etc.

[]http://i42.tinypic.com/aet7ki.jpg[]

some may have heard that I like mudkips.

they heard right. bravo.

news must be really slow today.

this is either the saddest or funniest thread i have seen in a long time.

on one hand, some people that have acutally used linux on ps3 say it is slow and gimped but others a making seem like the greatest thing ever.

since launch, i dont think i have ever seen a thread about ps3 linux and now we have a 20+ page about it :lol

another thing i found funny was that i saw someone comment that sony is punishing the majority of us for the action of a few when in reality less 1% of ps3 owners actually use linux on ps3.

i can think of a lot better and cheaper ways to experience linux than on a ps3.

in principle, i think is wrong to remove features that some people might use but I would rather save my anger for if they try to remove something that actually matters.

until then i will continue to enjoy my games, blu rays, and the other things the have added since launch.

hauton said:
Hey heaven forbid Sony goes out of their way to provide a fully-endorsed avenue for the open source, education and enthuasiast communities to congregate - only to see it being used for little more than "HEY GEOHOT WHEN CAN I HAS LOADER" hacking projects.

You guys act like there's some kind of entitlement to OtherOS. Sony set the parameters behind it - if people want to trespass past those parameters, then anything's fair game. "No RSX access"? Fuck right off, Linux has flourished on plenty of platforms ten times weaker than the PS3.
yeah dude, how dare someone that paid for something actually feel entitled to have and useit?

pyros

Audioboxer87 said:
That sounds.... fishy.

So is this server in your own possession? As in, in your house?

If so do as I said, stream with PS3MediaServer. It supports DTS/HD audio, and any bitrate of AVC is fine.

At 5TB one would assume you're using 1080p/Loseless encodes, and there's no way they stream fine on Linux, the PS3 has crippled GPU access.

it's in my house, I'm only serving my old vhs and laser disc movies where the hardware has already failed, anyways my setup is not the issue, just letting the poster known not to generalize

Audioboxer87 said:
Why would the PS3Move controller work with Linux ootb?

Does the PS3 Eye even have drivers for Linux? And if it does, does ALL the functionality of the Eye work or is it restricted?

For a start the Eye would need to be fully functional.

Alright, that's true. I guess it would be fairly difficult to make ones own drivers, but if sony looked at linux as part of the console. Stuff like the Eye and new motion controllers could have been made functional if employes were contracted to do it so.

The six-axis controller fully worked on my version of yellowdog linux.

for all the people here moaning and whinging like little spoiled babies, answer this

what would you have sony do?

Watch the spectre of the psp descend onto the ps3 as well. when geohotz did his thing, did you guys look at his blog? filled with those of comments from pirates who were thrilled at the prospect of the ps3 being hacked and able to play free games.

if you were sony in this situation, facing the possibility of pirates pirating a system that already makes a loss on hardware wouldnt you do the same thing?

fact. 98 percent of ps3 owners do not use linux. There's no incentive in keeping linux. But the moment geohotz hacked the hypervisor via linux was the moment linux became a liability.

i say good for sony for protecting their interests. all hackers and pirates should keep their dirty stinking hands off the ps3s. no free games for you. they ruined the psp as it is.

Shambles

Elan tedronai said:
for all the people here moaning and whinging like little spoiled babies, answer this

what would you have sony do?

Watch the spectre of the psp descend onto the ps3 as well. when geohotz did his thing, did you guys look at his blog? filled with those of comments from pirates who were thrilled at the prospect of the ps3 being hacked and able to play free games.

if you were sony in this situation, facing the possibility of pirates pirating a system that already makes a loss on hardware wouldnt you do the same thing?

fact. 98 percent of ps3 owners do not use linux. There's no incentive in keeping linux. But the moment geohotz hacked the hypervisor via linux was the moment linux became a liability.

i say good for sony for protecting their interests. all hackers and pirates should keep their dirty stinking hands off the ps3s. no free games for you. they ruined the psp as it is.

Yeah thank god Sony jumped on that one and avoided the absolute ruin that Nintendo suffered from having their console cracked, same thing with the 360 being hacked. Clearly this is why Sony is doing so well and Nintendo/Microsoft are suffering so badly. Ohshitwait....

Fucking people on these boards I swear

Top Bottom