• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is outselling Xbox Series Consoles at a rate of about 4 to 1 the last 15 months

m14

As with PS4, there's still a sizeable number of people happily using the Xbox One. Those who invested in a One X, the most powerful system of the eighth generation, may be feeling no urgent reason to invest in a Series X. And yet they remain deeply invested in the Xbox platform.

As with PS4, there's still a sizeable number of people happily using the Xbox One. Those who invested in a One X, the most powerful system of the eighth generation, may be feeling no urgent reason to invest in a Series X. And yet they remain deeply invested in the Xbox platform.

My cousin still has a PS2 as their main living room console.

With each passing generation old games just age better, this could turn into a problem for the industry.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don’t think hardware is the problem. I’ve had a SX and it’s a great console. But the absence of software hits in 4 years deep into the generation is what make it weak. PS5 isn’t much better but since it’s the de facto console it didn’t needed to (specially with Xbox dropping the ball like this).

The hardware is fantastic. The fucking idiot in charge of it is not.

Gaelyon

I just took the average of the months and quickly did it in my head.

I think it's closer to 4:1 than 3:1 though. It's probably around 3.7 to 1.
Well according to your data, PS selling 30M in 18 months : 1.666 M per month on average / Xbox selling 7.3M in 13 months : 561 538 per month on average.
Now 1,666,666/561,538 = 2.97 rounded 3 to 1 (although your data cover two different length)
Again totally agree on Xbox being outsell worsening as initial resilience was due to chip shortage for both parties.

Reactions: XXL

XXL

Well according to your data, PS selling 30M in 18 months : 1.666 M per month on average / Xbox selling 7.3M in 13 months : 561 538 per month on average.
Now 1,666,666/561,538 = 2.97 rounded 3 to 1 (although your data cover two different length)
Again totally agree on Xbox being outsell worsening as initial resilience was due to chip shortage for both parties.
Yeah, I just did it outside of my head. Lol. You're correct.

So weird. And they HAD Viva Pinata. And Banjo! And Jet Force Gemini for fuck's sake!

I bet I know why ...those games weren't big enough sellers for MS. When ALL decision making is based off maximizing profit, you get Xbox under Phil Spencer .. there have been so many chances for easy wins they could've made Xbox as strong a brand as Sony.

Being a gamer for 35 years I don't believe that defeatist bullshit excuse that they lost because people "built up their digital libraries during the PS4/Xbox One generation" and since we "lost" that one we necessarily will lose this one too. People are not so poor as to be able to aford only one console, for starters. Secondly, they weren't as far behind Sony last gen compared to what has happened this gen. Finally, there were so many mistakes made this gen because Phil's focus solely on GamePass and how they can still "beat Sony" that they literally didn't follow through with the very things they had promised/layed out as their strategy with Series S/X!

#1 A "next gen" Halo at launch. Having to delay it a year and when it comes out it STILL didn't look like what a next gen Halo should've looked like running on a 12 TF rdna2 console. Remember how hard Phil and IGN tried to convince peoole that Cross Gen doesn't hold back the SX? More importantly though, despite the games media over-inflating its review scores, the game just wasn't that good! They botched the multiplayer over and over and the campaign was an empty, unfinished shell.

#2 Backwards Compatability. This was an area Xbox had a huge advantage over Playstation with and, just like all these money hungry companies do, they underestimated how important BC is to us and how having exceptional BC would bring the hardcore market towards their platform. Not only did they not patch a bunch of Xbox One exclusives for 4k/60, their FPS Boost effort was a half measure as most of those games had to be downgraded to ONE S settings. They then shut dowm their BC program all together ...WHY?? This one area could've made the Series X a very valuable device ...imagine being able to play all the Xbox One exclusives at 4k/60 instead of the shitty 720p/30 fps they still have today ..imagine playing all the Call of Duties, Dishinored 2, Gears 1-3, all previous Forzas, Sunset Overdrive, GTA4, Max Payne 3 etc at 4k/60 ....

Finally, there's GamePass and Day 1 PC and the side effects of those things on the Xbox brand and even the quality of the experience of those games that now have to recoup their investment with Free to Play, microstransactions, and lower budgets.

They could've focused on GP without abandoning their original vision and marketing 'promises' they made back in 2020 when they were trying to sell us on the Series consoles ...they didn't do that though because they had to do something radical to get their profits higher and they wanted to do that NOW ...they didn't care about their own customers and what gamers truly wanted and didn't think the loss of faith in the brand would be that severe.

It really all starts with the mentality of Phil S and his underlings though. You have to have a leader who at least knows you have to deliver on promises and you have to have a great lineup of games, even if they're not netting you massive sales numbers.

JayK47

Why does it matter and why do you care so much about how many consoles are sold? I do not think either company makes much on console sales. I am sure Xbox is doing just fine financially. With most games going to PC right away or eventually, I have completely skipped the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles.

Throw their hat in the ring to lose money? No one is going to make another console.
Sony is much weaker than it looks. Xbox is losing money because they are pathetic, not because they were somehow doomed to failure. You are trying to make excuses for Xbox when where I stand, Xbox clearly was making a mess of it because they are stupid. Someone smarter and more competent can do a better job.

Elaborate.
Playstation is better at gaming than Xbox, but that is not the same as saying they are somehow invincible. They make mistakes all the time that get customers mad, it's just happens that they just did it less often than Xbox.

Now that we know Xbox had lost the console war, there is a new myth brewing that Xbox was somehow never given a chance and never could have recovered. All just to make excuses for those running the Xbox division. And the necessary flip side of that myth is that PlayStation is somehow some infallible gaming Genius.

I don't need to list the mistakes PlayStation made, you can look it up on Youtube videos. It's just that PlayStation fared better comparatively to Xbox. And for the latest generation launch Xbox was even thrown a bone by Covid and parts shortages, leading to them getting an even playing field when by all odds PS5 should have sold like hot cakes from the get go. Xbox was given chances, they just squandered it.

Xbox was meant to have died years ago, the warchest kept it going. Now the warchest is empty and it is finally the end. And now we wait for someone else to replace them.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Playstation is better at gaming than Xbox, but that is not the same as saying they are somehow invincible. They make mistakes all the time that get customers mad, it's just happens that they just did it less often than Xbox.

Now that we know Xbox had lost the console war, there is a new myth brewing that Xbox was somehow never given a chance and never could have recovered. All just to make excuses for those running the Xbox division. And the necessary flip side of that myth is that PlayStation is somehow some infallible gaming Genius.

I don't need to list the mistakes PlayStation made, you can look it up on Youtube videos. It's just that PlayStation fared better comparatively to Xbox. And for the latest generation launch Xbox was even thrown a bone by Covid and parts shortages, leading to them getting an even playing field when by all odds PS5 should have sold like hot cakes from the get go. Xbox was given chances, they just squandered it.

Xbox was meant to have died years ago, the warchest kept it going. Now the warchest is empty and it is finally the end. And now we wait for someone else to replace them.
1. Who said they were invincible?
2. They're mistakes are irrelevant to my question.
3. Sounds like a lot of mindless rambling.

Last edited:
No one is invincible. But, they've been consistently dominate since they entered the home console industry 30 years ago. Not even Nintendo can say that.
They only dominate because Xbox is clinging on. Because Xbox had not been in any position to compete for years, but they also stop anyone else from getting a shot by existing. Amazon and Apple are not interested in starting out in 4th place in gaming, so Xbox just had to go. Sony's dominance is partly aided by Xbox refusing to retire.

nikolino840

rq6Qfkr.jpeg

This is the same lady who explained why Concord was stillborn, she's a former Microsoft VP and one of the earliest members of the OG Xbox team

Last edited:
but that is not the same as saying they are somehow invincible. And the necessary flip side of that myth is that PlayStation is somehow some infallible gaming Genius. Now the warchest is empty and it is finally the end. And now we wait for someone else to replace them.
I haven't seen this narrative (About Sony being invincible or infallible). We know the narrative about Sony being arrogant and sony owning the media (Xbox tax and stuff like that). tho.

I don't think there is going to be a replacement; the space Xbox has been occupying was an artificial one, sustained by MS´s money. The market is already established and mature (one of the reasons for consolidation )

As someone pointed out, the ratio is actually 3 to 1. Is that worldwide? I’m not surprised. What about U.S. market only?

What can I say, there are a hardcore group of us who prefer Xbox consoles and gamepass. MS will stay in the console business, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the next Xbox runs Steam in dual boot or was extra expensive and just targeted the high end market with superior hardware.

I always buy all consoles and have a gaming pc. I mostly use my Xbox and pc.

I honestly like my Xbox the most. I use my pc for most Sony “exclusives’. Basically everything eventually comes to pc nowadays.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I am cheering because i want Apple or Amazon to throw their hat into the ring, once Xbox exits.
We are not the same.

Xbox Had Killer Instinct. And yet mysteriously, Xbox REFUSED to fund a sequel. I have no idea why. Killer Instinct 2 would have been the EASY thing to do.
I don't know what's sadder... having all that money,franchises,years in the biz and still not getting it right. Or me still buying the consoles they made the last two generations including day one-ing Xbox One X Scorpio Edition?

I am hoping somehow someway someone else becomes a option.

Last edited:
If I hear one more executive talk about "people built up their digital libraries" as the reason why they couldm't recover im gonna throw a fit

Does that actually come up in the video?

It’s not that they can’t recover, it’s that they now realise (thanks to several attempts + the recent digital library trend) that they can’t topple Sony.

Wasn’t that their big objective in the first place back in 2001?

Last edited:
Top Bottom