• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is outselling Xbox Series Consoles at a rate of about 4 to 1 the last 15 months

ByWatterson

I am cheering because i want Apple or Amazon to throw their hat into the ring, once Xbox exits.
We are not the same.

Xbox Had Killer Instinct. And yet mysteriously, Xbox REFUSED to fund a sequel. I have no idea why. Killer Instinct 2 would have been the EASY thing to do.

So weird. And they HAD Viva Pinata. And Banjo! And Jet Force Gemini for fuck's sake!

K' Dash

Definitely not on Xbox

toy story awww GIF

the lord of the rings elise GIF

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Those fans don't seem to be buying the games on PlayStation going by Squares comments today so maybe they've moved to PC. I can't work out where they've gone if it isn't there.
Square’s comments don’t change a thing. If something sells lower on the best selling home console, what on Earth would Xbox do?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But when Xbox totally stops making consoles Sony will be a good guy and make a very powerful PS6 with a disc drive included for $399 even though there wont be any other console to turn to

82eab101-4e54-4528-90fc-a07f3b429bac_text.gif

but jokes aside .. there are people on GAF who legitimately think that after Pro's pricing model, Sony are gonna revert back to $499 for PS6.

they need a reality check lol

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Based on Xbox’s YOY declines do we have any idea what they might settle on in 4 years time? Is 40m fantasy, or the best they can hope for?

Gaelyon

In the last 18 (or so) months the PS5 has sold around 30M units.

In the last 13 (or so) months the Series X/S has sold around 7.3M units.

So PS5 is outselling Xbox Series Consoles at a rate of about 4 to 1 the last 15 months or so.
30M in 18 months vs 7.3M in 13 months is 3 to 1 ratio. I do agree that Xbox series sales are crumbling and the gap widen though.

XXL

30M in 18 months vs 7.3M in 13 months is 3 to 1 ratio. I do agree that Xbox series sales are crumbling and the gap widen though.
I just took the average of the months and quickly did it in my head.

I think it's closer to 4:1 than 3:1 though. It's probably around 3.7 to 1.

And it shouldn't move the needle.

Sometimes, we look at a very short time-frame and expect things to be different, but that is not how consumer behavior works. Trust in a brand matters a lot, and that's how businesses build brand loyalty.

Xbox has betrayed the trust of its customers time and time again. PlayStation hasn't done that in 20+ years (apart from the first few years of the PS3 generation).

So even if Xbox starts delivering amazing things today, it will take years and years of hard work to establish that trust in the first place. And with the recent steps that Xbox has taken (layoffs, consistently missing release dates, delivering under-par games, price increases, porting Xbox games to PS without proper roadmap for Xbox customers, etc.), it will take a lot more time.

And PlayStation isn't taking its foot off the pedal at all.

Providing studios like Naughty Dog and SuckerPunch haven’t been on holiday since last gen then we shouldn’t be too far away from seeing announcements and footage. I’m as excited about seeing these games as I am playing them.

The brand thing is really important, look at how loyal people are to Apple despite rising prices. At this point most iPhone owners would never consider an Android.

BlackTron

Speaking of branding, what in blue f*** is this?

Yeah a platform with so many hardware versions should probably figure out a system and stick to it FFS. God it's all over the place.

Edit: Eh there may be some rhyme or reason. I'm guessing the second game and second-to-last game are older. At some point they changed the system and everything else is newer, with white bands. Everything still seems random because of different versions. Castlevania will play on Xbox One but is not enhanced on S or X so it doesn't have those logos. On the other hand an Xbox One game that is actually enhanced on X will have the X logo on the box.

Convoluted but not completely crazy.

Last edited:
I think better and worse in different ways or whatever in others. More positive than negative overall though probably.

I think Microsoft was instrumental in getting online gaming going in the living room, and ultimately the competition was the best for PlayStation (unfortunately we know what successful Sony looks like without major competition).

However I think Xbox overall hasn't added much to the industry that's truly positive outside of a couple franchises. I say that as a fan of the Xbox brand, and as somebody that has Halo, Gears, and Forza games in his favorite games of all time. Here's hoping that Xbox either finds a way to be good again.

Imagining a world in which we have a current day SEGA console with stuff like Sonic, Persona, and Yakuza exclusively is definitely an interesting thought.

Codes 208

Im still of the mind that the series s was dominating in the first two years only because they were the only ones you could find before the shortage finally ended.

The thread with news of Xbox selling 30M units wasn't sitting well with the FUD army so a moving-goalposts-thread had to be started?
The same place where many "didn't realise" that the Xbox Series consoles "had sold that much" is the same place which spreads garbage like "Xbox owners don't buy games" (accompanied by irrelevant links) and "Game Pass is full of GAAS and ruining gaming". 🫣

dcx4610

I think the Series X is an excellent system from an engineering point of view of view. It looks nice, runs well, is quiet, has an excellent controller, good interface, etc. But it comes down to the games. It's basically a multi-plat machine and it doesn't offer any benefits over the PS5 versions. The only reason to own one outside of being a diehard Xbox fan.

Microsoft needs to fix their exclusive problem or just bow out at this point. You have to give people a reason to own your system and having the same games that's on PlayStation isn't it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Speaking of branding, what in blue f*** is this?
Management. That's management.

But when Xbox totally stops making consoles Sony will be a good guy and make a very powerful PS6 with a disc drive included for $399 even though there wont be any other console to turn to

Pretty much. Doesn't look good but the reality is there's nothing we can do. I supported Xbox before PS but since the 360 they just haven't done much of anything especially compared to PS. I left that ecosystem and never looked back.

Zacfoldor

Xbox has no games.

Xbox games show up on PlayStation.

Xbox games are awesome!
Here's the thing. Jizz is out here trying to guilt MS into stopping the PS5 ports because we were wylin out on the fanbase over it and also because SOMEBODY claimed Sony moneyhatted Wukong, so we gotta get fake stars in our eyes so we still get the ports.

That's just the way it is.

Hoping the rumor of nextbox being a premium pc hybrid is true (oem made). Aka msft getting out of the console business hardware wise. The goal should be acquisitions of EA/krafton (pubg) Restructuring it within Msft games and expansion of IPs I.e age of mythology retold but for ea’s command & conquer series.

Full focus on software, half-life 2 rtx trailer made me want to replay it. Pathtracing for all msft games older and new.
Utilizing gen z/alpha with new tiers of cosmetics aka 100 usd at minimum and cross mtx items ( bad company skins in cod/ apex in other ect).

Xbox within windows as a legacy for all previous or current owners.

I get we all like to meme that the PS5 has no games, but the Xbox Series X legitimately, unironically has NO exclusive games. Everything Microsoft publishes is also on PC and Game Pass day one.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Losing the previous generation so badly is what has really killed Xbox. Nobody wants to give up their digital library holding 100s of games. Lukewarm & mediocre first party releases certainly haven’t helped this gen, but that wouldn’t have turned them around either. The damage was done.

IMO this is a huge cop-out (including when Phil said it). Was it a blow? Sure. Did it mean they needed to give more of a shit and do more things right than if they hadn't suffered that blow? Of course.

Meanwhile Nintendo built the Switch empire from Zero without a single old game compatible with it. Don't give me that shit people show up for good games and quality. N didn't use Wii U as an "excuse" to be in dire straits, they learned from mistakes, rolled up their sleeves and got to work.

Last edited:

XXL

IMO this is a huge cop-out (including when Phil said it). Was it a blow? Sure. Did it mean they needed to give more of a shit and do more things right than if they hadn't suffered that blow? Of course.

Meanwhile Nintendo built the Switch empire from Zero without a single old game compatible with it. Don't give me that shit people show up for good games and quality. N didn't use Wii U as an "excuse" to be in dire straits, they learned from mistakes, rolled up their sleeves and got to work.
Happy Gilmore Win GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

boom GIF

Klayzer

Totally agree. A blow for sure, but insurmountable like some claim is ridiculous.

Especially with the amount of money available from Microsoft. The real reasons, are just bad business decisions, after bad business decisions.

BigLee74

I wouldn’t say it’s a huge cop out, there’s definitely an element of truth to it and it has lead to a spectacular downfall.

Switch is kind of out there on its own. It’s not competing directly with PS and MS.

I know personally speaking I am pretty much MS until they stop producing hardware now, whether I like it or not. I own about 500 digital games, and I won’t give them up easily.

Somebody touched on it above - even if the next Xbox is cheaper, more powerful, AND releases better exclusives, very little will change now. I believe that.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I wouldn’t say it’s a huge cop out, there’s definitely an element of truth to it and it has lead to a spectacular downfall.

Switch is kind of out there on its own. It’s not competing directly with PS and MS.

I know personally speaking I am pretty much MS until they stop producing hardware now, whether I like it or not. I own about 500 digital games, and I won’t give them up easily.

Somebody touched on it above - even if the next Xbox is cheaper, more powerful, AND releases better exclusives, very little will change now. I believe that.

At the beginning of this gen I think it's fairly obvious that Xbox had another chance. They screwed up, but you could feel it in the air, we were ready to let them try again. Covid spiked sales for everyone, it was hard to get both consoles. They got momentum back, they just didn't use it.

At this point, the reason Xbox would have a hard time is because the brand has accumulated too much damage on all fronts (including but not limited to digital libraries). Pretty much Sega, could do everything right but the world was too soured already.

If they wanted to do everything right in unison, with their massive resources, they could. In their shoes, I would make it a Microsoft console with a NEW BRAND. But it would be dumb to do without fixing everything. They would probably just change the brand alone and hope people like the new logo better and that's what would "work". No, the point would be to make a great product and not see Xbox anywhere on it.

Edmund

You just crushed BigLee74 BigLee74 's balls with that post. And you did AOE damage to all the green rats in GAF as well. Well done!

m14

At the beginning of this gen I think it's fairly obvious that Xbox had another chance. They screwed up, but you could feel it in the air, we were ready to let them try again. Covid spiked sales for everyone, it was hard to get both consoles. They got momentum back, they just didn't use it.

At this point, the reason Xbox would have a hard time is because the brand has accumulated too much damage on all fronts (including but not limited to digital libraries). Pretty much Sega, could do everything right but the world was too soured already.

If they wanted to do everything right in unison, with their massive resources, they could. In their shoes, I would make it a Microsoft console with a NEW BRAND. But it would be dumb to do without fixing everything. They would probably just change the brand alone and hope people like the new logo better and that's what would "work". No, the point would be to make a great product and not see Xbox anywhere on it.
An interesting point about the brand. It's funny to think that when the OG Xbox launched they tried to keep Microsoft away from the branding as much as possible.

I remember showing off my new Dreamcast to my mates, they thought Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur were awesome.

They said they’d never buy one though cause it’d end up getting abandoned like the “Shiturn”

bender

What time is it?
but jokes aside .. there are people on GAF who legitimately think that after Pro's pricing model, Sony are gonna revert back to $499 for PS6.

they need a reality check lol

The reality check will come based on how well Pro sells. It will also be easy for Sony to compare lifetime sales of PS4 vs PS5 and percentages each Pro model did for the respective hardware generation.

It’s weird how the mass market fluctuates when it comes to Nintendo.

They’ve been up and down since the 80s but they always bounce back.

laynelane

Phil has a lot of excuses for why Xbox is struggling. That was just another one, imo. Xbox has been driven into the ground under his tenure, but it's always something else that's the problem or issue according to him.

BlackTron

It’s weird how the mass market fluctuates when it comes to Nintendo.

They’ve been up and down since the 80s but they always bounce back.

They innovate until they find something good, and they never do anything that loses money. They're just exceptional business managers. Sega ran out of money but if you "beat" Nintendo they can just come back again, and again, and again.

Top Bottom