• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 pro games performance and resolution of patreon Digital Foundry

Msamy

Remember this all from ps5 exclusive gameplay video provided to digital Foundry :-

The Last of Part 2 - 1440p internal resolution at 60fps in this PS5 Pro Mode (same as PS5 Performance Mode) with improved image quality due to PSSR

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Between 1440p and 1800p internal resolution (roughly the PS5 Quality Mode at 40fps) at 60fps in this PS5 Pro mode with the same settings as the PS5 Performance Mode and using PSSR to bring it up to 4K

Alan Wake 2 - Two modes shown (864p at 60fps & 1260p at 30fps) which is the same as the base PS5 modes and they presume it's using PSSR and not the FSR in base PS5. 60fps clip has SSR but the 30fps clip could have RT.

Horizon Forbidden West - resolution didn't look 4K. They presume it's not using PSSR but hard to tell. Thinking it is using 4K checkerboard but again hard to tell. PS5 vs PS5 Pro has the Pro with higher detail.
Harry potter hograts legacy : RT reflections looks better on the PS5 Pro but has some visual noise in the background. RT shadows might be mixed with SSR but look to be an improvement over base PS5. 30 fps in the footage but the presume it'll have 60fps modes as the base PS5 has it.

Gram Turismo 7 - RT reflections in game appear to be quarter resolution (1080p). 8k mode. Lower resolution (1188p) in the PS5 Pro footage and probably using PSSR to bring it up to 4K where the base game without RT reflections is a Native 4K. RT looks better than Forza Motorsport.

Dragon's Dogma 2 / Assassins Creed Shadows - DG2 looks to be running at 60fps and might be using PSSR. ACS looks to be running at 864p at 60fps

Source:-

Edit full episode link

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
ACS looks to be running at 864p at 60fp
Alan Wake 2 - Two modes shown (864p at 60fps

Thats 1440p dlss balanced btw. i wouldve thought they would at least get to 4k dlss performance (1080p) but maybe the GPU uplift isnt that great or they are running into memory bandwidth issues at 4k.

this is performing more like a 3070 than a 3080 owing to the meager 45% uplift in raw gpu horsepower.

still, the good news is that 1440p dlss balanced mode should remove all the shimmering and foliage ghosting FSR2 introduces at those low resolutions. it wont look as good as the 4k image you will get in fidelity modes on ps5, but it will look cleaner if that makes sense.

Last edited:

XXL

Wasn't there a clip of TLOU2R running quality mode at 60?
DgW3umJ.gif

Uq8io9p.gif

Bry0

Gonna be honest, not super impressive but then again dlss quality at 4K is a render res of 1440p and that looks excellent, so if PSSR is any good these numbers can be a little deceiving.

Doggyred

Neo Member
I don't understand why we're expending so much processing power to achieve 60fps in games when the difference from 30fps is minimal. If it weren't for the complaints from whiny cry babies about games not running at 60fps, we could focus on developing photorealistic graphics. Instead, we're left with games that only look slightly better than those from the PS3 era.

Msamy

I believe pro is powerful I don't know what is wrong with them but maybe there is a reason to demonstrate pro with cross gen titles

Mr Moose

I don't understand why we're expending so much processing power to achieve 60fps in games when the difference from 30fps is minimal. If it weren't for the complaints from whiny cry babies about games not running at 60fps, we could focus on developing photorealistic graphics. Instead, we're left with games that only look slightly better than those from the PS3 era.
You should play CoD at 30fps.

Bojji

The Last of Part 2 - 1440p internal resolution at 60fps in this PS5 Pro Mode (same as PS5 Performance Mode) with improved image quality due to PSSR

I love this one, they just changed TAA to PSSR, completely ignoring 45% more raw power (maybe it boosts fps closer to 120, hmm). ND were always this lazy with Pro consoles:

done-and-done-spongebob.gif

This also proves that you WON'T be getting fidelity (native 4K) modes in 60FPS.

Bartski

Gold Member
gtfo GIF

saintjules

Gold Member
Apparently the DF special is 2 hours.

0:00:00 Introduction

0:02:47 The Last of Us Part 2

0:11:49 Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

0:23:44 Alan Wake 2

0:33:27 Horizon Forbidden West

0:39:09 Hogwarts Legacy

0:45:48 Gran Turismo 7

0:54:35 Dragon's Dogma 2 and Assassin's Creed Shadows

0:57:43 Supporter Q1: Could PS5 Pro run Elden Ring at 60fps?

1:03:36 Supporter Q2: Is PS5 Pro a good deal relative to PC?

1:16:48 Supporter Q3: With the Pro reaching $700, what will the PS6 look like?

1:26:42 Supporter Q4: Could PSSR run on the base PS5?

1:33:04 Supporter Q5: Why hasn't Sony developed machine learning based frame gen tech for PS5 Pro?

1:37:11 Supporter Q6: Will the high price of PS5 Pro drive people to PC?

1:44:13 Supporter Q7: Will low PS5 Pro sales cause development problems?

1:51:46 Supporter Q8: What game reveals would h ave excited you about PS5 Pro?

Mr Moose

I love this one, they just changed TAA to PSSR, completely ignoring 45% more raw power (maybe it boosts fps closer to 120, hmm). ND were always this lazy with Pro consoles:

done-and-done-spongebob.gif

It looks better than the quality mode though from what we've seen. It's took the 60fps mode and made it look better (probably not even patched).
Apparently the DF special is 2 hours.
They turned 7 minutes into 2 hours. Fucking hell.

Last edited:

Msamy

Because as per sony 75% of people's don't mind playing shit looking game even if they have ps2 graphics but have 60fps, lol

SlimySnake

Well, in some cases DLSS 4k quality looks better than Native 4k. the same could be true here.

Aside from that, people always forget that dlss reconstruction has a cost of its own. I did several analysis on this in the other thread and found that it could be as high as 35% and as low as 15% in some games. If 35% of the extra gpu is going into simply the reconstruction then there isnt much left to do.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Remember when you said DD2 wouldn't be 60fps on Pro?

In most cases CPU is causing this so 30fps games won't become 60fps when there is almost no CPU upgrade in pro.

Also good luck running games like Dragons Dogma 2 and WH 40k in 60fps when they still use ancient Zen 2...

SlimySnake

It looks better than the quality mode though from what we've seen. It's took the 60fps mode and made it look better (probably not even patched).
they need to quit with these DF specials. Lots of bullshit small talk in those videos and awkward reaction to each others jokes. give me a nice concise 10-20 minute video with all the relevant info and keep the small talk for your weekly DF directs.

Senua

they need to quit with these DF specials. Lots of bullshit small talk in those videos and awkward reaction to each others jokes. give me a nice concise 10-20 minute video with all the relevant info and keep the small talk for your weekly DF directs.
I agree I wish they were shorter, but people seem to love them

Bojji

It technically can't BE better (you have 4 million vs 2 million pixels) but it can look better thanks to sharpening and imperfections of TAA used in their engine.

Well, in some cases DLSS 4k quality looks better than Native 4k. the same could be true here.

Aside from that, people always forget that dlss reconstruction has a cost of its own. I did several analysis on this in the other thread and found that it could be as high as 35% and as low as 15% in some games. If 35% of the extra gpu is going into simply the reconstruction then there isnt much left to do.

This simply proves that this console is too weak. Sony shouldn't bother with small upgrade like that, do 2x more GPU power or go home...

Remember when you said DD2 wouldn't be 60fps on Pro?

I would love some extended gameplay of DD2 on Pro. Only way they could improve performance is through CPU optimizations and this would also boost performance on standard PS5.

Last edited:

Msamy

What games are in this situation?
Any current game in ps5 you can see the huge difference in resolution and graphics between fidelity and performance and you can find many comparisons,, and from what sony trying to do by put 60fps as standard you can see the results as above, don't get me wrong but currently we don't have a gpu that can give good graphics with rt features alongside 60fps and native 4k even current most powerful pc gpu can't do it, people are trying to hide this truth high end current gen graphics can't have 60fps and that will continue each generation when you have new advanced graphics features you can't pair them with 60fps ( that's what happen since ps1 days)

Overall, it's expected. It's the first wave of patches, I expect improvements at launch.
Eh.....need to see some hands on analysis. Too much "hard to tell", "presume", "probably", etc.
They also "missed" the Hogwarts Legacy footage running at 60fps with RT.
They also "missed" SM2 running with RT shadows.

Well, missed as in "we had to pick only some parts" obviously. It's called cherry picking.

EDIT: what about the resolution of Hogwarts Legacy running at 30fps? it seems improved from base PS5, by a lot. Another thing they "missed" I guess. they seem to have listed only the worse looking improvements! what a coincidence from them!

Last edited:

Bojji

Yet 6 seconds of AW2 footage was enough for you to reach silly conclusions...

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

You can count the resolution of the game using high quality video (and alan has fixed resolution, even better). How can you judge DD2 performance using few seconds clips? There are parts of the game than run 60 on standard PS5 - while majority of the game does not...

Romulus

30fps looks and feels horrendous. 60fps should be the bare minimum. It's the lowest point where it starts to feel decent to play.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Any current game in ps5 you can see the huge difference in resolution and graphics between fidelity and performance and you can find many comparisons,, and from what sony trying to do by put 60fps as standard you can see the results as above, don't get me wrong but currently we don't have a gpu that can give good graphics with rt features alongside 60fps and native 4k even current most powerful pc gpu can't do it, people are trying to hide this truth high end current gen graphics can't have 60fps and that will continue each generation when you have new advanced graphics features you can't pair them with 60fps ( that's what happen since ps1 days)
Metro: Exodus disagrees.

Either way, what you originally said was silly and every game doesn't have to run in native 4K at 60fps. Many, many games will simply be upgraded, which is the point of a Pro console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom