• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

My wife is teaching my Puyo and I am teaching her Tetris. This is the best game I've ever purchased. This game would be worth $300 to us for how much we love it. When something clicks like this for a couple, it's a really great moment for a video game to provide

My wife is teaching my Puyo and I am teaching her Tetris. This is the best game I've ever purchased. This game would be worth $300 to us for how much we love it. When something clicks like this for a couple, it's a really great moment for a video game to provide

It's Puzzle Nirvana. I love seeing in Ranked where people have trouble with one mode over the other and then I can go ham in the mode they're weak at.

I'm tempted to take it to the bar on my day off and just enjoy it with people.

Wow I fuckin suck at Puyo.

I just can't wrap my head around this shit.

Tetris 4 life.

Eventually you'll learn. I'm way better at Puyo than I am Tetris.

Your first 5-6 chain will feel orgasmic.

Had my first online match today. Boy do I suck at puyo, I get how it works, I just throw the blobs all over the place. Then it swaps to Tetris and all hell breaks loose with the music and all. So much fun.

japtor

I made a topic showing how many people have played from each country so make sure you guys go online before next week when I will be updating the list!

What's everyone ranked in their region anyway? I'm currently 5th in the UK :p

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1366459
Last I saw I got to the 50s in California, somewhere in the 1500s worldwide. I ran into #1 in California today (185 worldwide), a Puyo player. I did the "please go easy on me" greeting and they played Tetris, I won. I think they popped up again later and kicked my ass playing Puyo.

If I knew this game would come to Europe or the US I would have waited. I have had my japanese ps4 copy since last year and have some had fun with it but I gotta admit going through english menus is a lot more appealing.

I am definitely more a Puyo person than Tetris. The great thing with this game is that my sis who is better at Tetris can have a chance or vise versa.

storafötter;235428937 said:
If I knew this game would come to Europe or the US I would have waited. I have had my japanese ps4 copy since last year and have some had fun with it but I gotta admit going through english menus is a lot more appealing.

I am definitely more a Puyo person than Tetris. The great thing with this game is that my sis who is better at Tetris can have a chance or vise versa.

Any advice on Puyo? I looked up a strategy online that says to basically stack puyos on the three right columns up to the top and then pop the bottom left puyo to bring your tower to a fall and hope for the best. That works okay against my gf and my friends with 2-4 chains but online people shit me up with garbage blocks too fast so I can't get to the bottom of the tower by the time I stacked it up.

StayDead

Playing through adventure mode and the difficulty has suddenly spiked in the middle of world 4. Any tips? The computer is setting up these huge combos and just burying me.

If they're setting up huge combos you need to assault them with more garbage to block it. Do smaller combos of 2-3 if Puyo and go for lots of Ren (line clears) quickly in a row for Tetris.

I bought this game for my wife, since she had been playing the demo over and over.

Haven't managed to touch my switch for a while. She's hogging it.

Any advice on Puyo? I looked up a strategy online that says to basically stack puyos on the three right columns up to the top and then pop the bottom left puyo to bring your tower to a fall and hope for the best. That works okay against my gf and my friends with 2-4 chains but online people shit me up with garbage blocks too fast so I can't get to the bottom of the tower by the time I stacked it up.
This strategy is the equivalent of button mashing in fighting games

Eventually you'll learn. I'm way better at Puyo than I am Tetris.

Your first 5-6 chain will feel orgasmic.

I like when a set up chain is messed up with a poorly placed Puyo, or a garbage block, and then a bit later you accidentally trigger it, and the bits and pieces of the old chain end up exploding the entire screen into one giant combo.

Like setting off a time bomb.

Link_enfant

ok im kinda late to your problem but watch Chopin's Twist Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRBmqTrJDUA

To solve the spin in your image:
1) pre-rotate the Z piece counterclockwise
2) move the piece to the notch as shown in the image
3) rotate again counterclockwise

Are you telling me that all the stuff shown in this video can also be done in Puyo Puyo Tetris?
Does it also reward/notify you when doing spins with pieces other than T?

I love Puyo Puyo although I still need to learn how to properly make long chains, but now that I realize how technical and deep Tetris is, I even more hyped about getting the game this week on my Switch :)

magnetic

If anybody is interested in checking out further Puyo titles, "Puyo 20th Anniversary" is a fantastic entry as well. The base gameplay is pretty much the same, but it has a lot of experimental bonus modes, the best one in my opinion being the "active chain" mode, where instead of a chain stopping all action until it´s done, the Puyos keep dropping DURING the chain, meaning you can keep dropping stuff on an active chain and keep it going.

This is a tool assisted video, but you get the idea - headphones warning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZVAULaU3wk&t=33s

Other neat modes are one where you have 4 next pieces visible instead of 2 (vastly improving your planning capabilities), or a mode where Puyo drop in boxes of 4 at a time.

It´s an import title, but aside from menues and dialogue it´s still a puzzle game, so very little language barrier problems.

Also, the original arcade version of Puyo 2 (Tsuu!) is packed in with the Sega 3D Classic complilation on 3DS. It feels quite basic in comparison to the modern games, but it has an undeniable charm, with a more classical pixel look and fantastic FM synth music. The port has the well known M2 port quality, so super sharp graphics, difficulty switches and a replay mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPEQxzhX4ag

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I fuckin suck at Puyo.

I just can't wrap my head around this shit.

Tetris 4 life.

Me too. I keep working at it as I try to get through adventure mode though. Watch some videos, practice in endless Puyo mode etc. I suck at games that require thinking several steps ahead though.

magnetic

EDIT: That wiki guide above might also be more useful compared to my old guide.

Works better than the trash strats I had before. What do you suggest?

Here´s a little guide I wrote ages ago! It´s specifically written for absolute beginners, as I´ve just learned the game at that time. Maybe I tried to hard to be funny, but hopefully it´s useful otherwise!

http://puyonexus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1865

The most basic advice I can give it try playing in the stressfree endless mode, and every time you would normally connect 4 pieces, put another color between it and remember that THIS is now your "fuse". Put some more Puyo of the same color there, but put another color puyo between THAT, and now that one is your fuse.

You simply block 4 pieces from touching with another piece, and pop THAT one instead. Boom, 2 chain! The rest basically extends from that logically,

It definitely takes a while to wrap your head around it, and I definitely felt like a complete idiot at first. But soon it starts getting much more intuitive. It just is harder to "read" the playfield compared to Tetris, where you have these very clearly outlines of the blocks and gaps.

If you just keep doing the most basic 2-chains, you will soon be able to see those opportunities much clearer. Make sure to play on Easy at first, since that gives you only 3 colors, which is much easier at first. Later on with 4 colors it actually is more useful since it keeps you from accidentially triggering chains before you´re finished making them.

magnetic

Me too. I keep working at it as I try to get through adventure mode though. Watch some videos, practice in endless Puyo mode etc. I suck at games that require thinking several steps ahead though.

Tetris definitely is a very reflexive, instinctive way to playing - unless you´re going for these T-Spin things, which I never felt were a natural fit for Tetris, but more shoehorned into the game. Well, that´s my opinion of course. I appreciate Tetris for the raw flow of just putting down blocks before you can even think about what you´re doing - that feeling like you´re watching your brain play the game!

Puyo feels way more like Tetris Attack / Panel De Pon that way, though after an intial learning phase you can rather quickly think a few steps ahead, since you also have th added time pressure and can usually make stuff work on the spot, which is what I actually really love about Puyo - it´s pattern recognition and thinking ahead, but with a dynamic system of back and forth!

I think Tetris is harder than Puyo, because Tetris is extremely unforgiving for misplaced blocks, while a single misplaced Puyo isn't really a huge deal and doesn't really take long to clean up, and may end up even helping form a combo.

I think Tetris is harder than Puyo, because Tetris is extremely unforgiving for misplaced blocks, while a single misplaced Puyo isn't really a huge deal and doesn't really take long to clean up, and may end up even helping form a combo.

But I'm good enough at Tetris that I hardly ever misplace. But I suck so much at puyo that it doesn't matter how many forgiving misplacements I do, lol.

Manac0r

Not as young as I used to be - trying to rewire my brain, from going for tetris' to T-spin setups. I just have this almost OCD like compulsion to create neat blocks and wait for that single line. Also it's called Tetris yet T-Spins are what I m hoping for? I miss the 80's lol

The adventure mode is perfect for you guys! You can do the Tetris sections and she can do the Puyo Puyo.

Not as young as I used to be - trying to rewire my brain, from going for tetris' to T-spin setups. I just have this almost OCD like compulsion to create neat blocks and wait for that single line. Also it's called Tetris yet T-Spins are what I m hoping for? I miss the 80's lol

This is me.

magnetic

This sounds really lovely :) Playing games as a couple is already really fun, but being able to teach each other sounds like an even greater level of bonding potential, especially if it´s not just one person teaching the other.

Yeah, personally speaking, T-Spins feel like they´re going against everything I´ve learned about Tetris - making neat lines.

One the one hand, I think it´s great that they introduced a new mechanic for more skilled players, but on the other hand it feels oddly out of place and non intuitive. You would never figure this out yourself if you didn´t know about it, except maybe by accident.

Some Tetris games had this "cascade" mechanic - where you could clear a line that made other pieces fall down and create chains. That always seemed quite interesting to me, but the only game I own that has this cascade mode is the laughably bad Tetris Worlds GBA port, without any score saving and horrible music.

The mode I love the most, though, is surivial in Tetris Axis by Hudson - a much narrower field with pieces slowly pushing from below, resulting in a much more pressing and tense game, and with less horizontal space you really have to be more careful with your placement.

Comet

My wife and I both grew up playing a lot of Tetris. I introduced her to Kirby's Avalance and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Puyo games) so we are so ready for this! Just ordered off of Amazon.

Jazzem

The mode I love the most, though, is surivial in Tetris Axis by Hudson - a much narrower field with pieces slowly pushing from below, resulting in a much more pressing and tense game, and with less horizontal space you really have to be more careful with your placement.

Wow, that sounds great. A very clever way to mitigate the ease of modern Tetris mechanics in a survival mode

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wrap my head around any of this stuff, but playing has been fun, just frustrating when ever I hit a wall. Maybe I'll spend some time doing the lessons.

I've done pretty well on adventure mode without mastering the t-spin.

But man, online is a whole another beast. I keep getting my ass kicked.

I've done pretty well on adventure mode without mastering the t-spin.

But man, online is a whole another beast. I keep getting my ass kicked.

Hey, wanna have a game online?

I don't use tspins (can't get my head around them yet) and the only people I lose to online are master puyo players and master t spinners. I've only lost to one or two "normal" Tetris players. It'll be fun to see if we have room for improvement in this regard.

I don't use tspins (can't get my head around them yet) and the only people I lose to online are master puyo players and master t spinners. I've only lost to one or two "normal" Tetris players. It'll be fun to see if we have room for improvement in this regard.

Sure thing. But I'm on PS4.

japtor

If you're on Switch I'm down. I'd say I'm...mostly normal, still in the learning phase with T spins and other techniques specific to vs Tetris.

SW-1234-1141-8447

FleenerW

This must be the work of an enemy Stand!!
TFYeFBh.jpg
(Any JoJo fans in here?)

Artist's pixiv page.

Anyway, it warms my cold heart to see this thread hit 30+ pages. Before release I was wondering if it would even reach ten. I hope it's selling well and convinces some Tetris players to get into Puyo Puyo!

(Any JoJo fans in here?)

Artist's pixiv page.

Anyway, it warms my cold heart to see this thread hit 30+ pages. Before release I was wondering if it would even reach ten. I hope it's selling well and convinces some Tetris players to get into Puyo Puyo!

My friends and I were just talking about this!

"MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA" for a chain combo would be awesome.

Skittles

(Any JoJo fans in here?)

Artist's pixiv page.

I would pay money for this

Top Bottom