• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Finally made it to world 5. The game is kicking my ass but I'm learning and improving. Really happy with the game. That Sega music man.

DKL

So, I played this shit at a bar where people were playing KOF and SFV.

lol

I did ok, but I could stand to do better since it's apparent that I still spend too much time setting things up in Tetris.

Is it not connecting with Japanese players?

Doesn't seem like it. I'm from Germany and I have only met players from Europe and America. At the Versus Free Play lobby, there is only 17 people only atm.

Edit: Found a japanese players. It looks like barely anyone is playing on PS4.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Doesn't seem like it. I'm from Germany and I have only met players from Europe and America. At the Versus Free Play lobby, there is only 17 people only atm.

I think it's easier to find people on ranked because you can search across all game modes at once.

How many people have been online on PS4 and also in your region?

ChrisD

Quick Match is always empty on Switch, too. Just go to Ranked, you can turn modes to be on/off in your search with filters.

I really dislike Sega's implementation of lobbies. Matches in progress don't appear on the list, you can't spectate, and the entire lobby blows up if somebody DCs.

Really hope that they implement king of the hill style lobbies in a future game - I have no hope things are going to be reworked in a patch.

noquarter

This is a pretty great game. Really enjoy Swap mode, mainly because of the music switch between the modes. Also the tension of going from one to another and having to think differently on the fly is pretty great.

At the end of Chapter 4 and am really happy that they have a Help Mode to make sure you don't get stuck in Adventure mode.

Suck at both, so don't really play online. Frustrating going up against a Puyo player when I'm better at Tetris but can't get rid of rows fast enough to duck them over. Really seems like Put is the better game for online since the trash can actually be beneficial to a Puyo player and can really fuck a Tetris player if the spaces aren't lined up at all.

Can you not use the quick drop in Puyo Puyo in adventure mode?
I couldn't find the option to turn it on.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just recording some videos as I brush up a bit on both games:

Puyo chain practice
Tetris Perfect Clear practice
Swap mode ranked match

In Tetris I tend to just lay pieces too quickly without making proper use of all of my previews, and in Puyo I still don't have a handle on enough patterns to make good use of colors.

Really seems like Put is the better game for online since the trash can actually be beneficial to a Puyo player and can really fuck a Tetris player if the spaces aren't lined up at all.

Garbage is always worse for the Puyo player. Clearing out garbage Puyos doesn't add anything to the chain's power, but Tetris garbage can line up in such a way that it just gives the player a free tetris.

More often then not when I lose I have more points. I think I'm just playing as a straight puzzle game and not considering my opponents moves.

Durden77

I couldn't find the option to turn it on.

Can i be turned on for other modes? I couldn't find the option period. Also do you unlock characters by just playing through the adventure?

I'm starting to get the hang of Puyo Puyo. I played a ton of Mean Bean Machine when I was little but never really with chains in mind, they would just happen. Wrapping my head around the stairways and stuff has been interesting. I still suck at it compared to Tetris.

Cerium

I need to git gud. It took me like a million tries just to beat 3-10 in story mode. I'm nowhere near ready for human competition. I need to go to Tetris/Puyo school or something.

Does anyone have a list of all the nostalgia Sega has hidden in this game?

Just got two Act II of story and am fucking loving it though i dont know shit about puyo. im breezing through 3 stars with tetris and barely making it with puyo.

also, i heard that the classic
black and white gameboy tetris game
is a hidden skin in this game. True?

Can't get 10k on 2-3 to save my life cleared every other challenge so far. Jay and elle die after my first big combo which never gets me enough points. I tried the derp pull down as fast as possible with basic matching and pray for chains and I got up to 8k but still ended up short.

Bii

Puyo chain practice
Swap mode ranked match

In Tetris I tend to just lay pieces too quickly without making proper use of all of my previews, and in Puyo I still don't have a handle on enough patterns to make good use of colors.

Garbage is always worse for the Puyo player. Clearing out garbage Puyos doesn't add anything to the chain's power, but Tetris garbage can line up in such a way that it just gives the player a free tetris.

I've been working on Perfect Clears as well. I'm not quite fast enough to do it in an online match yet.

mstevens

Puyo chain practice
Swap mode ranked match

As a beginner in both games, it was very helpful to watch you practice slowly. Thanks for uploading!

DKL

The first 7 pieces of a round will always consist of all 7 distinct tetriminos, so you can build a pattern that has a high chance of leading to a perfect clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YicWkhg7e5o

The funny thing is, I saw this video, but your video made it more apparent that it's possible to open with the thing round after round lol

(that said, I'm under the impression that it's pretty easy to counter by sending garbage ASAP, but I imagine that it's still a useful skill to have)

. said:
C-5JVa4W0AIxGXz.jpg:large

C-5JIk5XkAEthY1.jpg:large

C-5JAY9XcAA2L35.jpg:large
Only up to world 4, but god this is satisfying so far!

I got "pretty good" at tetris by just playing the demo, but goin 3 starts is helping me to learn puyo, although i still dont know much.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm at around 2700 points atm. What certainly helped is that I started to skip matches against opponents with like 3800+ points

I have rarely ever played Puyo Puyo but I figured out that at lower ranks, Puyo Puyo players destroy most rather inexperienced Tetris players. This quickly turns around at higher ranks since Tetris players can play at a much quicker pace and the grey block come in at the bottom and don't block your setups as opposed to Puyo. Oh well, I'm not going to bother learning all the various techniques for both games now, I'm only playing on my brother's Switch while visiting anyway

Swap is easily the best game mode, I kind of hate Big Bang and Fusion honestly. Big Bang also heavily favors Tetris, as far as I can tell

noquarter

It doesn't add anything, but it can act as a nice buffer to make a chain more powerful since it only has to be near something that pops.

And Tetris garbage is just as likely to be not lined up and a bunch of single lines.

The other thing is Puyo can add a lot more garbage to the Tetris player quickly with a 5+ chain where the Tetris player really can only get so many Tetrises to add max garbage.

Can i be turned on for other modes? I couldn't find the option period. Also do you unlock characters by just playing through the adventure?

I'm starting to get the hang of Puyo Puyo. I played a ton of Mean Bean Machine when I was little but never really with chains in mind, they would just happen. Wrapping my head around the stairways and stuff has been interesting. I still suck at it compared to Tetris.
I know you cam turn it on in Multiplayer mode. Can't remember what submenu, but one of them has a Quick Drop setting, turn it to On and Puyo has Quick Drop. Default is Puyo doesn't but Tetris does.

DKL

My impression of garbage is that it's normally a good way of coming back if you set it up right (and assuming it doesn't KO you).

In tetris, the non-tetris garbage holes are nice and I've used them a bunch of times to get like 10-hit combos or whatever.

(at this level, I seem to like combos better than back to back tetris/t-spins... it takes a while for the bonus from this thing to accumulate since I can't go fast enough)

In puyo, you can can set up an easy chain by dropping a color that would pop the puyos below the garbage when you pop the garbage.

But yeah, I assume this is why you don't want to send people shitty combos that sends garbage that's easy to dig out of.

EDIT:

Also, because I don't know how to screen watch yet, I've been using the voices to warn me when a combo is coming and when I need to defend lol

How does defense work exactly? I've got a vague idea that when you hear a shout from the opponent, you should send over some quick combos to 'block' their garbage? Is that how it works? I assume you still get some garbage if theirs is better than yours?

shmoglish

Game was on sale in germany (Müller, last Sunday for 21,99€) and I ordered a copy. Since I have some codes the game will only cost me 16€. Never been addicted to Puyo/tetris, but I guess that is a great price and I am really looking forward to it. There is also a campaign/singleplayerchallenges, right?

There is also a campaign/singleplayerchallenges, right?

Bucketloads. They use a Nintendo style system where progression through the "campaign" is easy enough but if you want to three-star everything you're going to have to go online and learn and improve.

My only criticism is that, unless you're some sort of polymath or you have a lot of experience with both games, you will need to google high-level tactics. The game doesn't really teach you anything besides forcing you to improve by making it impossible to three-star certain levels (even early levels) without doing that.

StayDead

I'm at around 2700 points atm. What certainly helped is that I started to skip matches against opponents with like 3800+ points

I have rarely ever played Puyo Puyo but I figured out that at lower ranks, Puyo Puyo players destroy most rather inexperienced Tetris players. This quickly turns around at higher ranks since Tetris players can play at a much quicker pace and the grey block come in at the bottom and don't block your setups as opposed to Puyo. Oh well, I'm not going to bother learning all the various techniques for both games now, I'm only playing on my brother's Switch while visiting anyway

Swap is easily the best game mode, I kind of hate Big Bang and Fusion honestly. Big Bang also heavily favors Tetris, as far as I can tell

I love Fusion, I haven't lost a game of it yet.

Big Bang is quite even I think, you just can't afford to make one mistake as Puyo.

Berordn

BIg Bang is a head fuck playing puyo. I'm trying to avoid playing Tetris but online big bang with Puyo was a disaster.

Big Bang for Puyo is based on an established mode which is all about being able to read long chains quickly so you can build them further or just pop the trigger ASAP.

It's fun but it does require you to actually know what you're doing with Puyo.

Big Bang for Puyo is based on an established mode which is all about being able to read long chains quickly so you can build them further or just pop the trigger ASAP.

It's fun but it does require you to actually know what you're doing with Puyo.

Yeah I understand that. I just can't see dem chains quick enough.

zigg

Only up to world 4, but god this is satisfying so far!

I got "pretty good" at tetris by just playing the demo, but goin 3 starts is helping me to learn puyo, although i still dont know much.
Seconded. I have all three-star ranks through the fourth chapter and a few in the fifth. Struggling through is helping. Even party mode is weirdly helpful as it's likely to throw me so much bullshit that it helps train me up on Puyo recovery.

My only criticism is that, unless you're some sort of polymath or you have a lot of experience with both games, you will need to google high-level tactics. The game doesn't really teach you anything besides forcing you to improve by making it impossible to three-star certain levels (even early levels) without doing that.
Yeah, this is a major oversight. Haven't past (Japan-only, natch) games offered more detailed lessons?

Samemind

Getting flustered. Feels like every PP tutorial presents these ideal setups that just don't happen in actual gameplay. None of them address methods to manage puyos that you don't use to build your chain.

I usually just use one of the outer columns as my garbage dump for non-chain Puyos. It's the "Coconut" method, as I call it. Patented by the grand master of Puyo himself, Coconuts.

Getting flustered. Feels like every PP tutorial presents these ideal setups that just don't happen in actual gameplay. None of them address methods to manage puyos that you don't use to build your chain.
Honestly, I feel like I've gained a lot more from watching top replays rather than tutorials for this exact reason. Tutorials are good to open your eyes to possible combo setups, but to get a better idea of how to apply them in a real match where you're being attacked and not miraculously getting all the pieces you need in the exact correct order, watch replays. Either through youtube or in-game.

Top Bottom