• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

The problem are people seeing Jeff's score on MC and then go to Giant Bomb/Twitter to bitch about the score.
because of it weighing down the mc? come on...as if it's the only game that's had that happen to it.
The point is that anyone complaining about the score (not that people really should anyway) should at least do it on its own merits, a score on Giant Bomb using their scoring system, not what Metacritic does to it.
i think you meant that the other way around, what it does to metacritic. i mean it's one thing to take issue with the score but to do so without actually looking through the review? there's a reason that reviewer made it that low and if you read it and disagreed, just move passed it...because it means that review will have no bearing on whether you should purchase the game
You don't. It's about the convoluted and tired arguments people make in response to review scores and the kind of thinking that outs someone as more interested in bias confirmation and hype validating aggregates over actual critical discussion. It's not about how metacritic works. Feel free to browse this thread for some examples.
I see, and what is the confirmation bias in this case? lower metacritic scores means less intent on buying the game?
They went back to caring when it was announced as a Win10 exclusive. These guys are the apex of idiotic Microsoft fanboys.
I...dislike them so much.
It's mostly the score. They see the score and there automatically dismissing.
i don't think it's fair to be dismissive of it without actually looking at the review. i felt that way with tlou's reviews from gamespot and polygon. they were both lower than the majority and i didn't necessarily agree with the scores, although the reviews made valid points. the issues with the game they took are issues that exist in many games, but all those games don't get heavy points lifted off; it seems it was harder for tlou...coz of all the acclaim it was getting or something.
There are no two sides. He did his job and wrote a review, people are bitching because his low score contributes in bringing down the games meta score. He tweets basically saying he ignores people who are not really concerned with his actual review, but with how it effects metacritic.
yeah, if that's the case, then I agree with the guy.
I was a lil intoxicated when I saw the tweet so
I didn't really get it the first time.

You could start the download for the 75 GB movie pack right now.

That's good to know , wonder why gamespot had that as a negative (streaming ) when it's obviously not required .

Remedy should do some kind of arena dlc where you can just cut loose with your time powers as that's the main appeal of the game imo

Played through the first two acts and am loving it so far. Its a stunning looking game at times, my girlfriend even noticed how good it looks in places.

Enjoyed the first episode of the TV show and had no issues with streaming it, however I have just tried streaming the second episode and it just wasn't having any of it. I'm on a 50mb fibre connection which is no slouch so I'm a little concerned. Will try again later to see if it manages to stream without problems

I have watched a few different review and gameplay vids of this and it does look like pretty average 3rd person shooter fare which has been done a lot already.

20 min cut scenes as well? No thanks.

Its not average. At all.

It seems like they put a cover system and standard features like blind fire, hip fire, grenades and firing while crouched and saw that nobody really needs the time powers to win and can play it like a standard shooter, so they took all of those out and forced players to stand up to be able to shoot and that obviously opens you to enemy fire, so now you have to move around because it's lacking basic character skills.
A good way to do this would be like Max Payne 3, it has a proper cover system and you can try to play it like a cover shooter, but using bullet time is both more effective and fun.

You can use cover to get your health back but most enemies force you to move and use your powers constantly in order to attack. Even in normal mode.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well I am definitely going for hard difficulty and I always explore around whenever I can. I take my time. I wonder if Gamersyde and and other sites did that as well. Next week I'll find out for myself if it was worth the 41 euros or so, but I definitely think it will be. It's not like the only scores it gets are 6s and 7s,hell there's even 9.5s.
Distribution looks good, still just the two negatives.

p785vlj.png

Its not average. At all.

My friend got a review copy for the publication he works for and let me play it for about an hour and a half. The mechanics are pretty average, dude. I liked it, but saying that it "isn't average, at all" is misleading. What about it wasn't average in your experience?

Also I was able to get by without using my powers too often. I didn't feel forced to move.

My friend got a review copy for the publication he works for and let me play it for about an hour and a half. The mechanics are pretty average, dude. I liked it, but saying that it "isn't average, at all" is misleading. What about it wasn't average in your experience?

Also I was able to get by without using my powers too often. I didn't feel forced to move.

If you play it from the begining an hour and a half doesn't even get you the interesting abilities. Try do that when you get to act 2 and beyond against time power enabled enemies and heavy soldiers that can kill you in 3 shots. The combat reminds me of Vanquish, just not as fast and not as challenging.

RexNovis

Banned
Do we have any information about the length of the campaign without factoring in the Live Action Episodes? Curious as to how long it would be.

Ive got a review copy myself a week ago. Later half of the game plays "like Vanquish" since cover means death and you need to use your powers constantly and sometimes you need to move waiting for powers recharges

Purest 78

Game seems like it's short I can't count the TV part as play time. Maybe if the cutscenes were done in game I could. A game being short isn't always a bad thing though.

Strootman

Game seems like it's short I can't count the TV part as play time. Maybe if the cutscenes were done in game I could. A game being short isn't always a bad thing though.

But you have to count it, it's part of the quantum break experience. It's like not counting 1000 years of dream in Lost Odyssey playtime. (just first example that came in my mind)

Purest 78

But you have to count it, it's part of the quantum break experience. It's like not counting 1000 years of dream in Lost Odyssey playtime. (just first example that came in my mind)

Yes it's part of the experience Live action is not a game. So to me QB is a 7 to 8 hour game with a 1 hour movie in it.

Theorry

Its part of the game and you only can watch it ingame. Doesnt matter if it live action or cutscene. It part of the story of the overall game.

urge26

Digital Foundry video turned me... Gonna buy. ROTTR was clearly the best looking console game I've played and if this looks better? Seriously find it bizarre XBone is killing it from that perspective (yes I own a PS4 and realize UC4 is coming). Still impressed.

Digital Foundry video turned me... Gonna buy. ROTTR was clearly the best looking console game I've played and if this looks better? Seriously find it bizarre XBone is killing it from that perspective (yes I own a PS4 and realize UC4 is coming). Still impressed.

You missed inFAMOUS SS, The Order 1886 and Drive Club. The last two were not great games(imo), but they look amazing.

RexNovis

Banned
People really need to learn that review averages will never accurately represent a games potential personal value. This has become more and more evident as the number of outlets and revenues have risen dramatically.

The wisest course of action is to find a few sources with whom your tastes align and consider their critique of the game before buying. Even when looking at trusted sources the number is among the least important facets of the review.

Those of us that are heavily imbedded in gaming culture should know all this already yet some of the reactions and posts in this thread make it very clear that's not the case. How long is it going to take for people to grow out of this fixation on meaningless averages?

Sam Lake on Twitter:
I think @TIME maybe didn't like @QuantumBreak much (2/5) because we BROKE TIME :).

lol

Haha he has a great sense of humour.

Ah yes, but people could have canned those. Well the non Xbox store ones that is. But I hope not.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a great looking game for sure, at times really lovely. But I have to agree with DF that it's not consistent in that sense. Several things lower the overall picture and that's a shame.

That's something Infamous SS and The Order judging by videos don't seem to have. Not sure I place TR above those, solely graphically speaking.

Jesus, so this thread ended up reaching UC3 levels of stupid afterall.

It's not even close but as we know the QB review thread is merely preseason.

By the time the UC4 review thread rolls around people will be ready to bring their A game. (And as we all know, A means 90/100 which is not the same as 4.5/5 or 9/10 but is the same as 6/17 and 22/51).

It's not even close but as we know the QB review thread is merely preseason.

By the time the UC4 review thread rolls around people will be ready to bring their A game. (And as we all know, A means 90/100 which is not the same as 4.5/5 or 9/10 but is the same as 6/17 and 22/51).

I have no doubts that U4 will mostly get incredibly positive reviews. I mean look at their previous games and reviews and I have to say with good reason, just look at the U4 videos. Crazy stuff.

urge26

That's something Infamous SS and The Order judging by videos don't seem to have. Not sure I place TR above those, solely graphically speaking.

I probably spoke a little too soon, not trying to shat upon Infamous (which I completed) or the order, I do clearly remember Infamous being something else... While the story was forgettable, it's flat out gorgeous. TR probably resonates more from a graphical standpoint because it was great. Nonetheless, Quantum Breaks shortcomings seem understandable since it's running on shit hardware.

gamz

Maybe, just maybe, because he played more then 90 minutes?

Top Bottom