• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick VJ question (spoiler)

Solid

I'm on the magnificent 5 right now. I fight this lava guy... how the hell am I supposed to kill him? It seems impossible, I don't even get one single hit :|

guess

Deepthroat said:
I'm on the magnificent 5 right now. I fight this lava guy... how the hell am I supposed to kill him? It seems impossible, I don't even get one single hit :|

I am sure this isn't the quickest way but I beat Fire Leo by:

As Fire Leo starts throwing out rocks, mach speed punch the first one that lands.(You can only hit him when you are on fire) When Leo stops running, mach speed run in the opposite direction (so you don't have to jump over the rocks) until you are face to face with Leo.

Wait until he shoots out the fireballs in the direction away from you. As he has his back to you zoom-in puch.You will only get in one puch but it takes a lot of his power. When Leo does the tornado thing just run away until he jumps in the lava.

Repeat until his power is down to red, then Leo goes crazy. He runs around the circle 2 times throwing out the rocks. And now he runs much faster. Use the same strategy except now you will have to jump over the rocks while running to Leo.

Vlad

guess said:
I am sure this isn't the quickest way but I beat Fire Leo by:

As Fire Leo starts throwing out rocks, mach speed punch the first one that lands.(You can only hit him when you are on fire) When Leo stops running, mach speed run in the opposite direction (so you don't have to jump over the rocks) until you are face to face with Leo.

Wait until he shoots out the fireballs in the direction away from you. As he has his back to you zoom-in puch.You will only get in one puch but it takes a lot of his power. When Leo does the tornado thing just run away until he jumps in the lava.

Repeat until his power is down to red, then Leo goes crazy. He runs around the circle 2 times throwing out the rocks. And now he runs much faster. Use the same strategy except now you will have to jump over the rocks while running to Leo.

Yeah, that's gonna take forever.

You've got the first part right, but the trick to beating him is to dodge his attacks once he goes into his spinning attack. If you dodge five attacks in a row he'll get dizzy and then you can really do some damage on him.

If you really wanna put the hurt on him, wait until he gets dizzy, toss a voomerang away from him, then use a slow-zoomed punches right before the voomerang comes back and nails him. The combination of the punches and voomerang will take off a HUGE chunk of his health.

You can also run after him and keep hitting him after you knock him away, too.

Grubdog

Banned
Yeah the part where you do the major damage is during the tornado/spinning thing. All you have to do is dodge 5 of his attacks where he sticks his claw out and he spins out leaving him open for attack, it's not that hard, you either have to duck or press up, and you even get a warning. If you still can't dodge them, then try using slow until you see where he's going to hit you, then let go of slow and quickly press either up or down depending on where he's attacking. You can't dodge his attacks while using slow, although it's easier, it doesn't count as a dodge and he won't spin out and you won't be able to attack him.

Once you have dodged five attacks, just pound him with Slow/zoomed punches, or that boomerang technique that Vlad suggested. You'll get there eventually, just practice!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Man you should see the super play video. Dante, ultra V-rated mode...kills Fire Leo in under 4 minutes :)

What's amazing is that in ultra v-rated, it doesn't give you an icon to show whether the enemy will attack high or low. In the video, the guy is dodging the attacks without relying too much on the slow feature..it's nuts

Vlad

Wario64 said:
Man you should see the super play video. Dante, ultra V-rated mode...kills Fire Leo in under 4 minutes :)

What's amazing is that in ultra v-rated, it doesn't give you an icon to show whether the enemy will attack high or low. In the video, the guy is dodging the attacks without relying too much on the slow feature..it's nuts

Well, if you listen carefully, Leo growls differently for a high or low attack. So once you memorize the different growls, you can dodge him without the skulls. The same applies for the
metal leos, and their noises are even easier to tell apart

Another tip I wanted to mention: I've found that the easiest way to dodge his spinning attacks is to just duck the whole time, then only hit up when you see a low skull. I find it a lot easier to just look for low skulls and ignore the high ones, instead of trying to pay attention to both and running a higher risk of getting messed up.

And watch out when you get his health down to the red bar, he goes completely apeshit after that. When I was first learning how to fight him, there were many times where I could go the entire fight with minimal damage, then get completely slaughtered once I had him on the ropes. Using the voomerang trick I mentioned really helps prevent this, though, as if you're lucky, you can take off his entire red bar of health in a single round, completely avoiding "Apeshit Leo"

Solid

Thanks for the tip guys. I beat him this morning :)

Another question though, when you play as Dante what's with the voices in the cutscenes? It sounds like they speak backwards? Is it supposed to be that way?

jett

D-Member
Yeah, Capcom didn't feel like spending money on recording voices for Dante or any of the other character paths. It's just dialogue from DMC played backwards.

Solid

jett said:
Yeah, Capcom didn't feel like spending money on recording voices for Dante or any of the other character paths. It's just dialogue from DMC played backwards.
Ah ok, cool that they have the lines from DMC.

This game got real different with Dante. I'm going to beat it again :p

Solid

OK, the last question (hopefully).. how do you get the boxes in the background? I didn't get them the first time.

Oh Dante rocks! Totally new game!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Deepthroat said:
OK, the last question (hopefully).. how do you get the boxes in the background? I didn't get them the first time.

Oh Dante rocks! Totally new game!

Use mach speed and hit something in the foreground, which will create shadows of Joe hitting the boxes in the background. I think it's possible to hit them with well-timed bombs too.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You have to use mach speed and attack enemies or items. It's best to have the mach speed skill maxxed out, it'll make it easier to destroy the boxes

Solid

Thanks. I'll try that later.

Wario you posted a speed run with Dante before. Is that link down? I sure would like to see it.

Edit: Bah it's down :(

Top Bottom