• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

NHale

Finished work for the week as I'm going to America next week, looking forward to diving in to the new patch properly.

Welp, the game is borderline broken. Not like it was before when matchmaking is kinda sketchy and sometimes fails. It's terrible. The game is struggling to get teams together, never mind match them up to opposing teams. The game has more players than ever but it takes 4 minutes minimum to get a match made.

I usually poke fun at how crummy some aspects of the networking are but this patch seems to have broken about 3 times as much as it's fixed.

Yesterday before the servers went down, I managed to get 1 match in 1 hour. It's beyond bad right now.

CrayToes

Finished work for the week as I'm going to America next week, looking forward to diving in to the new patch properly.

Bit of an extreme measure to get around the new region lock bug lol. Where about in the US are you off to mate? Stay clear of Texas, full of bellends.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I haven't played the game in awhile so not sure on the changes. What happened regarding team kills specifically on Terrorist Hunt?

Just had a match and one guy killed all of us over the period of 3 rounds while defending the hostage. He didn't get kicked and the match ended when he got killed.

mf.luder

I know that it's a bit late, but I just bought Thatcher. Any tips?

As evolved said your EMP gadget takes out traps and signal blockers.

Fuze charges could be blocked by Mute
Thermite charges could be blocked by mute
Hibana charges could blocked by mute
Electrified reinforcements by bandit (I think)

Auctopus

Bit of an extreme measure to get around the new region lock bug lol. Where about in the US are you off to mate? Stay clear of Texas, full of bellends.

NYC for my Mum's 60th, thank's for asking. I'm gonna remote play Siege on my phone on the plane, work that 10k ping.

With no mushy peas in the USA, what will you eat?!??!? How will you survive?!?!?

I paid 30 quid for extra hold luggage for me mushy peas

andycapps

Sucks that it's broken so badly on PS4 right now. Hopefully they figure out what all the issues are.

How many people running into these issues are on the beta firmware?

I'm sooooooo bad at this game. Aim is atrocious via hipfire and I've gotten so used to hipfiring from Titanfall 2. There's also zero mobility in this game compared to that, so I feel like a fish in a barrel going up against people who seem to hone in on exactly where I am.

I get excited if I can get two kills per match. Not round, but the entire match. Half the games I play end with me getting no kills.

Don't be scared to just be patient. Sit.. Listen. You can hear almost everything the enemy is doing and from where. Good pair of headphones help alot. Using tight angles is also key.. Trying not to peek with your whole body. Use angles just right to have a line of sight where you need it but hiding your body.

Things will start coming easier as you play on. Enemy priority.. Baiting.. Using distractions.

andycapps

I'm sooooooo bad at this game. Aim is atrocious via hipfire and I've gotten so used to hipfiring from Titanfall 2. There's also zero mobility in this game compared to that, so I feel like a fish in a barrel going up against people who seem to hone in on exactly where I am.

I get excited if I can get two kills per match. Not round, but the entire match. Half the games I play end with me getting no kills.
On defense, I suggest picking a high armor character like Rook or Doc and camping the objective. Hold a very tight angle and lean so that you're minimally exposed. Or wait near an angle and listen, and then give a slight peek to check on that angle if you hear something and then move back into cover. Keep in mind when on defense that you are at a pretty big disadvantage when peeking due to their assault rifles being more powerful than your SMG's at range. Letting them get closer is to your advantage and their disadvantage. Peeking can work if you know where they are and they don't know where you are, or if you're a much better aim than them, if you're flanking them, etc.

On offense, stay with your team and try to listen for call outs on where enemies are. Call them out yourself if you know where they are via seeing them yourself or droning them. You may find that you do better hanging back a little and droning for your teammates and calling out where enemies are. Pay attention to what room your drone and you are in so you can use that information in your call outs. It shows the room name at the bottom of the screen.

Try to get headshots. So reticle placement is key in this game. Do not hip fire. Though hip firing drones on PC is pretty easy, console not quite as easy. Only time I'll hip fire is if I see an enemy that comes around the corner right in front of me and I'll start firing from the hip and move into ADS as I'm firing. That's more just so I can at least get some bullets into them while I'm bringing up ADS. That's mostly because I usually use ACOG which is trickier at short range.

I looked through the new patch notes and didn't notice anything on the Border map but I swear they moved the Truck over near the main entrance from being able to get a clear shot into server room as an attacker.

Dysun

This is the reason why this game should be thrown on the trash heap and why we need Siege 2 ASAP. It's a fundamentally broken game. People crying for Ubi to just build on it for years to come with no desire for a sequel need to realise this. It's not going to be fixed, It's always going to have issues with the servers, the matchmaking, the interface, the hit detection, the implementation of patches etc. etc.

This is the best argument I've heard for Siege 2, and correct on all points

Auctopus

A little thing I noticed (but I might be mental) is I swear when you used to change the rate of fire on a gun, there'd be a small animation where the gun would kind of shift slightly where presumably the operator would flick the ROF switch.

Unless I'm completely wrong or it's a bug, that's gone.

Fury451

Banned
A little thing I noticed (but I might be mental) is I swear when you used to change the rate of fire on a gun, there'd be a small animation where the gun would kind of shift slightly where presumably the operator would flick the ROF switch.

No, I think I remember that too, but a lot of games have had that little flick/gun bob animation so it may just be mental on my part as well.

Nope, you're completely right.

So many changes not in the patch notes. It's so random. I genuinely can't think of a reason for them not writing it in there. Unless there was an internal communication problem like a programmer not writting down their changes or the patch notes being written 3 weeks in advance

CrayToes

So many changes not in the patch notes. It's so random. I genuinely can't think of a reason for them not writing it in there. Unless there was an internal communication problem like a programmer not writting down their changes or the patch notes being written 3 weeks in advance

Only Ubisoft would need to patch their patch notes.

Arttemis

In your approach, substitute sound for mobility. In Titanfall mobility keeps you alive, in Siege it's listening. (And map knowledge / positioning) but stop and listen... I can tell you not only approximately where they are, but whether they're prone, on camera, moving, rushing, reloading, making their move, etc.

Slow down and listen. Use cameras. Talk to your teammates. Use pings. Guy who sees the other guy first usually wins the fight. Guy who knows where the other guy is, usually sees the other guy first.

I appreciate the advice, but that's actually the only thing I'm decent at. I often find the enemies on cameras, point them out, and can hear exactly the direction they're coming from... but even when I know where they are and I sneak up on an unaware enemy, or they walk unaware into the location I'm hiding, I still lose the majority of gunfights that follow.

I just found out how ineffective shotguns are at ~5 meters... The diminishing damage at such close rang is insanely unrealistic. I fired two shells while staying still and kneeling from that distance at an unaware enemy, both hit as I could see the blood spray, and he turns around and immediately sprays a few rounds that kill me. He still had 80% health remaining.

TheRed

It's really fucking stupid to de rank so much because of rampant disconnects. How the hell were we supposed to win this match 5v2? Well -100 for you again because you weren't good enough.

Only other game I've ever played a lot of ranked in is Dota 2 and if someone disconnects and doesn't come back the game doesn't count against you.
I don't see why that's so hard. Give the other team free rank ups if you want but don't subtract a full rank from the people unlucky to have the disconnects on their team.

I just found out how ineffective shotguns are at ~5 meters... The diminishing damage at such close rang is insanely unrealistic. I fired two shells while staying still and kneeling from that distance at an unaware enemy, both hit as I could see the blood spray, and he turns around and immediately sprays a few rounds that kill me. He still had 80% health remaining.

Shotguns were nerfed a few patches ago.

Trust me when I say it's better this way.

Shotguns were nerfed a few patches ago.

Trust me when I say it's better this way.

Yep. Auto shotguns were insanely OP for a long time. Honestly I think the shotguns are in a good place right now. The pumps like the supernova and m870 can be very effective at close ranges and the m59 is a good way to remodel a map if you have another reliable weapon for longer fights (smoke and sledge).

The autoshotties can still be good but you have to be sneaky with them and be very close. The murder machines they were before was really harmful to the game. Roamers could just run around with them and not care about positioning and stealth at all.

andycapps

Yep. Auto shotguns were insanely OP for a long time. Honestly I think the shotguns are in a good place right now. The pumps like the supernova and m870 can be very effective at close ranges and the m59 is a good way to remodel a map if you have another reliable weapon for longer fights (smoke and sledge).

The autoshotties can still be good but you have to be sneaky with them and be very close. The murder machines they were before was really harmful to the game. Roamers could just run around with them and not care about positioning and stealth at all.
Yeah Alpine misses how broken Frost's shotgun was (and misses her c4).

Bobnob

WTF is going on with this game, head shots zero impact, 1 kill since the update level 130 rubber banding everywhere.
I have the lowest ingame ping normally.

Disgraced

IQ seems legit now. Two things that I think could be changed:
  1. The display of friendly electronics could still use filtering or reducing if not removing. As it is now there is too much noise. A seasoned player with advanced map knowledge using her passively can still provide great intel, but the clutter might be too occasionally confusing for new players. (Note: despite this, I still think she is an excellent choice for noobs, since her gadget can really assist in learning the maps—specifically the cam positions.)
  2. Swap charges for smokes. Frags and the LMG are fine enough demolition tools. The option of smokes could broaden and deepen her capabilities.
She definitely doesn't need an overhaul in the form of the HUD ever requested via the subreddit with bad photoshops. That concept is wholly superfluous.

This game is available for $16 on Newegg for PC right now. I'm not sure if it makes sense posting that here.
You'd have to use coupon code EMCRCRJ26 which gives you $15 off.

Arttemis

Just got lvl 22, decided to try some Ranked...

Right off the bat, the 5th player on our team just disconnects. The first round was a close game, but we lost. By the end of the second round, there was only one teammate left that didn't quit. We went 0-4...

Do these kind of games happen often? I haven't even had something THAT shitty happen in Casual, and I was expecting Ranked to be an improvement over that mode.

Ardenyal

Right off the bat, the 5th player on our team just disconnects. The first round was a close game, but we lost. By the end of the second round, there was only one teammate left that didn't quit. We went 0-4...

Do these kind of games happen often? I haven't even had something THAT shitty happen in Casual, and I was expecting Ranked to be an improvement over that mode.

I have never been to a ranked copper match but I can imagine it's pretty wild.

Usually people are a lot better about leaving mid match in gold / plat matches I've been in compared to casual.

PS4 terrorist hunt is completely borked :S matchmaking matches people with 1500+ ping if it ever finds a match. Would love to roam the new map with other people just to get a feel for the flow.

Small rant here

I really wish the matchmaking on pc was better

I'm only lv 48 and I'm getting constantly matched with vets

I feel like I'm not making any skill progress over the past month

I've tried out ranked and it's the same thing

It's actually fun to play overwatch knowing I'll get matched with similar skilled people, makes for some good games

Edit:

I also just have the hardest time seeing enemies in this game. Any other fps I would have picked up on it by now. Is this by design? I know half the game is anticipation, but I'm hesitant to enter any room because for sure there's something I'm not seeing properly

Less and less the more you play and rank up. Sometimes though, you get the short end of the stick. And Ubi's matchmaking doesn't even take into account the number of players on either team.

I was lost 99 points for losing a 1 vs. 5 cause my entire team left in the first round. Shit sucks.

Small rant here

It's actually fun to play overwatch knowing I'll get matched with similar skilled people, makes for some good games

Edit:

I also just have the hardest time seeing enemies in this game. Any other fps I would have picked up on it by now. Is this by design? I know half the game is anticipation, but I'm hesitant to enter any room because for sure there's something I'm not seeing properly

Hmm...not sure I've ever heard that last comment about Siege. SOMETIMES it's hard to see people, and sometimes you get killed by some absurd angle you've never seen, but Operators are usually easy to see.

The more you play the maps however, the more you'll notice common spots and the more you'll anticipate enemies being there.

andycapps

Small rant here

Edit:

Matchmaking doesn't have much to do with your level, but your skill level. It's better in ranked but the same overall principle also exists in casual. It's also balanced with time. You could have a great even match every game if everyone felt like waiting 10-15 min for spots to fill. Reddit has a huge post regarding how it works. Not sure if anyone has that link handy.

Rocketz

Here is my review of Jackal

Operator best used when you want to be team killed by assholes that want to make your playing time miserable.

I lost connection now from the emergency maintenance. I'm going to go play some BF1 let some salt out.

Small rant here

Edit:

I also just have the hardest time seeing enemies in this game.
Any other fps I would have picked up on it by now. Is this by design? I know half the game is anticipation, but I'm hesitant to enter any room because for sure there's something I'm not seeing properly

I play on Xbox, you're not the only one having a hard time. Whenever I play this game I put my TV setting on dynamic just to give me better brightness.

Top Bottom