• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Record of Lodoss War, how good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAOHMARU

My friend told me it was pretty good, but I haven't heard too much about it before. Are Record of Lodoss War (Complete Series) and Record of Lodoss War Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (Complete Series) worht checking out?

Pretty standard fantasy story - you can tell what its based on, and probably could just insert D&D rules as you go. The two series contradict each other, as well.

In any case, nothing eye opening. I'd rather watch Berserk.

I've only seen about half of the OVA series. It's very pretty and well-executed, but if you've played any Japanese RPG in the past fifteen years, you know what to expect (and the same goes if you're familiar with D&D). But still, it shines through today better than most RPG plots do, since I'm pretty sure it was what influenced them. It's sort of like encountering Tolkien after being exposed to stuff influenced by it: the parts that have been copied a million times over are much stronger and more memorable in their original form (though you can hardly compare Lodoss to Tolkien, what with it being twice removed from it [Tolkien -> D&D -> Lodoss]).

I appreciate the series, but it's not something I can really watch for thrills on its own. Honestly, it puts me to sleep. :p

If for no other reason watch it to see Emperor Beld -- He handled Ganon's Evil Eye for the Villainous Guy make-over. Fur-lined collars dawg.

beld.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I liked it a lot back in the day, but it hasn't aged well at all. I had to force myself to finish it during a recent viewing.

(note: talking about the OVA)

Shouta

Watched the TV series fairly recently and it still holds well. Just don`t expect "OMG ULTRA STYLE" or "SUPER DEEP!" storyline. from it.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
tv series is kinda bleh... Spark and his team sucks ass.

the ova though, is one of my favorite animes of all time. I place it right up there with berserk and kenshin.

it is also one of the only animes where I think the dubbed english voices are significantly better than the japanese voices.

Shompola

Banned
For me its the opposite. While I liked the OVA I think that the TV series is the better one, mostly because the story is more developed thanks to the series being longer than the OVA. Also the theme to the TV series is the best anime theme I have seen so far.

suikodan

HAOHMARU said:
My friend told me it was pretty good, but I haven't heard too much about it before. Are Record of Lodoss War (Complete Series) and Record of Lodoss War Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (Complete Series) worht checking out?

Record Lodoss War: Very good, one of my best animes.
Record Lodoss War Chronicles: So-so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom