• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Bloodrage

Banned
A7MAD said:
All videos are 360 showcases, that for me was enough, but...

One rumor (aren't they all until release) claims RDR on PS3 version is 'significantly inferior'.

http://gamerant.com/ps3-red-dead-redemption-inferior-xbox-360-version-trung-19991/

In another forum some guys got all butthurt but like I said it's a rumor not confirmed, could be BS from Cheapassgamer.
Insignificant bullshit from Cheapassgamer's "CheapyD". Was posted in the other thread. I should have my copy in 3 days. I would pick up both versions for comparison's sake but as of now, I've only decided on PS3.

TTG

A7MAD said:

One rumor (aren't they all until release) claims RDR on PS3 version is 'significantly inferior'.

http://gamerant.com/ps3-red-dead-redemption-inferior-xbox-360-version-trung-19991/

In another forum some guys got all butthurt but like I said it's a rumor not confirmed, could be BS from Cheapassgamer.

A source close to a source! How reliable.

If you're on the fence about which version to buy, the matter will pretty much be resolved hours after release in this thread. PS3 means multiplayer for me, so there would have to be a significant difference between the two. We'll see, I guess.

LiquidMetal14 said:
This must be on every page /sarcasm

Let's wait till the release to judge shall we.

Good luck with that.

EDIT - wow no need to jump on the dude, he even acknowledged it wasn't confirmed.

secretly i want to believe that ps3 version isn't shown is because it's the best one and if they did people would be all crazy and shit. Don't change your preorder or have doubts about the ps3 version!

LiquidMetal14 said:
The let's leave speculation out then. No hostility.

Makes no difference to me, I was decided early on what version I was going to get. Good luck with everyone else, regardless it would be nice if someone reputable would come out with something concrete because this talk is only going to get heavier and fill up pages of this thread.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
zero margin said:
Makes no difference to me, I was decided early on what version I was going to get. Good luck with everyone else, regardless it would be nice if someone reputable would come out with something concrete because this talk is only going to get heavier and fill up pages of this thread.
You're right. If only the rest were as rational.

zero margin said:
Ehh, I am sure that people will start getting copies from Mom and Pop stores soon enough. Hopefully then we can get some impressions. As always, I hope both versions are just as good that way everyone can just enjoy the game instead of wondering if they got the "inferior" version.

Guys don't worry about the PS3 version. The editor of the Aussie magazine PSM3 played a pre-gold build and said it ran fine. Here's his post:

MrSerrels said:
Just as a heads up, I reviewed the game on PS3. It wasn't final code, so I was expecting a dodgy frame rate, poor performance, etc.

I can't compare, because 360/PS3 comparisons generally require side by side comparisons to see any real difference, but I thought the game ran very well on the PS3.
Original Post

lMjgH.jpg

Lothars

A7MAD said:

It is BS from Cheapyd until we have proof but I don't trust Cheapyd opinion about any game on the PS3 for a couple years now at least.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
sw33tclyde said:
Guys don't worry about the PS3 version. The editor of the Aussie magazine PSM3 played a pre-gold build and said it ran fine.
He also said he hasn't played the 360 version so he can't compare.
People keep saying that GTA IV ran fine for them on PS3 too, even though the people that do the analysis can find an up to 20% framerate difference. (Not mentioning the other differences that may sway you over to one version over the other.)

I agree that we can't do anything at this point and that it's probably going to be fine, but anecdotal evidence shouldn't convince anyone that really had a problem with GTA IV.

bandresen said:
He also said he hasn't played the 360 version so he can't compare.
People keep saying that GTA IV ran fine for them on PS3 too, even though the people that do the analysis can find an up to 20% framerate difference. (Not mentioning the other differences that may sway you over to one version over the other.)

I agree that we can't do anything at this point and that it's probably going to be fine, but anecdotal evidence shouldn't convince anyone that really had a problem with GTA IV.

Very true sir, just providing a counter-point to CheapyD's comment.

Rikyfree

A great show to watch for a western feel is Justified, the new show on FX. It may be modern but it captures that old west feel down to the letter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I love having both consoles as well as no preference to either, I can just go with whatever is best and ignore all the bullshit.

Anyways, OMG I can't wait for this. I've spent the last couple days driving through the Western US and it's got me even more hyped for RDR, it's gonna be sooooo goood.

I hope they've worked on the fighting animations so they fit the theme. I want to throw some big ol' drunken haymakers at horses :D

This game has kind of sneaked up on me. I've been following it since it was announced but it's only recently occurred to me that it's essentially everything I liked about GTA IV with significant improvements to everything I hated, combined with cowboys! I'm trying not to lose myself in hype so the wait isn't too painful.

Daigoro

well ive been ignoring almost all media on this game up until the last week as well. but i think im sold. and its got nothing to do with the OP. :lol (though Goldrusher's name and avatar are fucking AWESOME. Sierra Madre is the best.)

so The Proposition, but no Magnificent Seven? wtf R*? odd choice. i liked The Proposition a lot, but uh... its not a western. and Young Guns but no Magnificent Seven? fucking blasphemy.

edit: i now have the 2nd best western themed avatar after Goldrusher. :p

Daigoro

from the R* Social Club page, because someone was asking:

“Is there auto aim on multiplayer for RDR?” – received via Twitter

Like the single player game, there are three targeting modes available to choose from: Casual, Normal and Expert. Casual is full lock, Normal snaps-to-target but does not lock on, and Expert has no assist. You can configure your own personal targeting to suit your preferences in any game by using the multiplayer playlists in the menu.

For Competitive games, there are Casual playlists for all game types that are exclusively Casual targeting mode, or that allow players to mix it up and play against each other across a variety of the three targeting types.

There are also playlists for Gang Matches and Free For All games which allow players to use Normal or Expert targeting together (but not Casual).

For advanced players that prefer to strictly play against other free-aimers, Hardcore and Veteran playlists that exclusively support Expert targeting can be used for all Gang Matches and Free For All Games.

It’s also worth noting that honing your multiplayer skills with the more advanced Normal and Expert targeting styles will reward you with bonus XP to level up faster than those using Casual.

sounds good.

Hardcore and Vet playlists sound like where its at.

Too many playlists IMO. Should've just been straight up Casual, or Expert only. I don't like when devs split up the community with so many different playlists, especially for a game like this with a massive singleplayer campaign where a ton of people won't even bother with multiplayer.

Great OP. So, like, is there any word on the amount and variety of co-operative-focused missions are going to be available? I'd hate for it be like GTA IV and barely offer anything for PVE-ish stuff. Bomb da Base II got kinda old really quick.

MightyHedgehog said:
Great OP. So, like, is there any word on the amount and variety of co-operative-focused missions are going to be available? I'd hate for it be like GTA IV and barely offer anything for PVE-ish stuff. Bomb da Base II got kinda old really quick.

I assume you're talking about the co-op DLC coming in June right? There will be 6 different missions to play when it drops.

Other than that there are gang hide-outs in the free-roam mode that you can tackle with your posse, so that's sort of co-op.

Oh and ambient challenges, which iirc are waves of animals attacking you and your posse.

Just check this page out, it'll fill you in: RDR MP Info

Posses
Sometimes it takes a posse to take on a gang. Form posses with friends to take on gang hideouts and ambient challenges within Free Roam, or have your posse leader bring you into competitive matches at any time. Posses can hear each other talk via voice chat, no matter how far apart they may be.

Gang Hideouts
Just like in the single-player experience, some areas of the multiplayer world are overrun by bandits. Gather up your posse or any other players in Free Roam, ride out to find the hideouts and take those scurrilous bandits down.

Ambient Challenges
Are you a hunter, a survivalist, or a shootist? The entire multiplayer world is filled with ambient challenges. Whether alone, with other Free Roam players or with your posse, discover unmarked hunting areas to take down waves of deadly predators, track down rare fauna in Survivalist Challenges, or earn yourself the title of Public Enemy by marauding towns and taking on Law Enforcement.

Edit: Alright I'm off to watch Once Upon A Time In The West, g'night.

It will be weird going from playing way too much of Just Cause 2 to playing this. I've gotten so use to the traveling in that game.

RDR is more up my alley though ... plus actually having a really good story and voice acting (from what I've read/seen) will make this a much better experience.

Dennis

Banned
Pachter is dead wrong about Westerns not being popular with europeans.

Western movies, comic books, and the Western theme in general, have always been very popular in Europe.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
SHOULD I PLAY RED DEAD REVOLVER ?
No. Red Dead Revolver is to Red Dead Redemption what GTAIII is to GTAIV.

Uhm, what? They're two completely different games! That's a very bad analogy, RDRevolver is very different from RDRepemtion. They're not comparable at all! GTA3 and 4 are in the same genre, while the RDR games aren't.

Also, GTA3 is better than GTA4 (not counting the technical advancements), so I guess RDRevolver would be better than RDRedemption.

Daigoro

Net_Wrecker said:
Too many playlists IMO. Should've just been straight up Casual, or Expert only. I don't like when devs split up the community with so many different playlists, especially for a game like this with a massive singleplayer campaign where a ton of people won't even bother with multiplayer.

yeah, especially since its a R* game (i disliked GTAIV online very much), you may be right.

hopefully its brilliant online and tons of people play it. but we'll see i guess. might be a bust.

Tr4nce

Sigh. You American folk will be able to play this game 3 days earlier than us Euroland people. I expect you to come in here and post impressions with cool stories after you've played for a day!

:D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Daigoro said:
yeah, especially since its a R* game (i disliked GTAIV online very much), you may be right.

hopefully its brilliant online and tons of people play it. but we'll see i guess. might be a bust.

I'

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Daigoro said:

I'm not even that interested in the competitive stuff, I'm just looking forward to messing around in free mode. If that's fun and not a clusterfuck like GTA4, I'll be satisfied.

StarEye said:
Also, GTA3 is better than GTA4 (not counting the technical advancements), so I guess RDRevolver would be better than RDRedemption.

OK come on now, we're taking the GTAIV hate a bit too far aren't we? Even with the nostalgia factor, GTA3 is in NO WAY better than GTAIV (maybe the talk radio). Vice City? Ok, maybe you liked the setting. San Andreas? OK, maybe you liked the wacky stuff, and sheer amount of activities, but GTA3? Come on.

COME ON!

Piggus

matrix-cat said:
I hope they've worked on the fighting animations so they fit the theme. I want to throw some big ol' drunken haymakers at horses :D

Ahaha. You just instantly reminded me of my favorite scene from Blazing Saddles. That will be the first thing I do. :D

Net_Wrecker said:
OK come on now, we're taking the GTAIV hate a bit too far aren't we? Even with the nostalgia factor, GTA3 is in NO WAY better than GTAIV (maybe the talk radio). Vice City? Ok, maybe you liked the setting. San Andreas? OK, maybe you liked the wacky stuff, and sheer amount of activities, but GTA3? Come on.

COME ON!

Agreed. GTAIII had a bigger impact on me (and the industry) than GTAIV. But that doesn't mean it was a "better" game. It was incredible for the time, but would I want to play it instead of GTAIV today? No thanks. It has absolutely no advantage over GTAIV other than the nostalgia factor. Here's one way to look at it: If GTAIII had come out AFTER GTAIV (with reversed titles of course) would GTAIII still be the better game?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DennisK4 said:
Western movies, comic books, and the Western theme in general, have always been very popular in Europe.
It is in the same category as Samurai, Greek Mythology, and Medieval shit. It is from one part of the world, but it has been romanticized so much. The appeal can easily hit worldwide.

Men love Westerns. :lol

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Net_Wrecker said:

COME ON!

Actually, I'm very fond of replaying GTA3, while GTA IV is left uncompleted. You know, opinions and such. And seriously, I don't hate GTAIV, I think it's great. It's just that, while I like GTAIV, I absolutely LOVE GTA3.

SiteSeer

shintoki said:
It is in the same category as Samurai, Greek Mythology, and Medieval shit. It is from one part of the world, but it has been romanticized so much. The appeal can easily hit worldwide.

Men love Westerns. :lol

you forgot kungfu masters. hiyaaah!

Top Bottom