• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Goldrusher

sw33tclyde said:
Add it here so we don't have everyone posting GT's and PSNid's:

Sign-Up:
360 / PS3

Overview:
360 / PS3
Added that.

StarEye said:
Uhm, what? They're two completely different games! That's a very bad analogy. They're not comparable at all! GTA3 and 4 are in the same genre, while the RDR games aren't.
That question is about the story. The original could have been a rail shooter or an RPG, the main reason people would ask "should I play Red Dead Revolver ?" is to understand the story.

speculawyer said:
Pachter: My bias is that a game that is set in the U.S. West will not be particularly appealing to European audiences, and a game where the most powerful weapon is a Gatling gun will not be particularly appealing to U.S. audiences.
He is soooooooooo wrong.
The game will top the charts everywhere. Everywhere.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Goldrusher said:
He is soooooooooo wrong.

Its so fucking retarded.

Europe = Hates America
America = Hates not having shoulder mounted nuclear dick cannon.

Hanmik

Goldrusher said:
He is soooooooooo wrong.

+1... I live in Europe. And on ALL (ok the ones I know :D ) websites, the game is hyped to death. And the feedback from the users is amazing. this game is looking good, and I can ensure you that this game, A ROCKSTAR GAME, will top the European lists for weeks.

MYE

I will buy this.

fna84 said:
Traded in Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl for this game...

I hope I made the right decision.

2aenpf8.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Gravijah said:
Curious: What impact did Western movies have on Europe?
Children still dressed up as cowboys less than 10 years ago.

I don't know if that was especially because of Western or because the costumes are so cheap or because they look cool or maybe nowadays because of Toy Story.

But "the cowboy" is still a perfectly understood concept among the European industrial nations with a high development index.

Gravijah said:

Really ?

Never heard of spaghetti Westerns , Ennio Morricone , Sergio Leone , Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill , My Name is Nobody , The Good, The Bad & The Ugly ?

Gravijah

CaseyTappy said:
Really ?

Never heard of spaghetti Westerns , Ennio Morricone , Sergio Leone , Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill , My Name is Nobody , The Good, The Bad & The Ugly ?

Nope, my first hand knowledge of westerns is slim.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sorry for asking twice, but I got no response last time.

The Buy.com deal - it comes with free shipping via 'Budget shipping'. But this says it takes an additional 3 to 5 days. Logic tells me that this means I wont be getting it til late next week, or maybe even the beginning of the week after. But does it being a preorder mean I might actually get it on time?

Its kinda important, because I love to pick up on great deals, but at this point, I think I might rather pay full-price to have it Day 1.

Dead Man

Gravijah said:
Let me rephrase: I've heard of some of them, but I haven't seen any of them or heard of some of the names.
Well, you should definitley check out the Leone trilogy, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Classic westerns that still hold up pretty well if you ignore some of the effects and dubbing.

Mik2121

StuBurns said:
When I was a kid, the Back to the Future films were crazy popular amongst kids, cowboys were cool without doubt.
Actually it should have been "What impact did Europe have on Western Movies?" :p :p

But yeah, I bet Western movies are as much of a 'classic' in Europe as in the US, or almost there.

Seanspeed

Banned
idahoblue said:
Well, you should definitley check out the Leone trilogy, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Classic westerns that still hold up pretty well if you ignore some of the effects and dubbing.
Meh. I wouldn't say they hold up well at all.

If you haven't already seen them, or aren't already a fan of westerns, I'm not sure that they'll be that appealing.

Xater

Seanspeed said:

If you haven't already seen them, or aren't already a fan of westerns, I'm not sure that they'll be that appealing.

WAT?

Those Leone westerns hold up better than most of the old stuff from the US.

Lime

Seanspeed said:

Strong troll.

Falt

Router said:
Its so fucking retarded.

Europe = Hates America
America = Hates not having shoulder mounted nuclear dick cannon.

That guy lives in a very small world.

For me personally as an Irish kid growing up in the eighties, America was the “be all, end all”. I grew up on American Culture and the Western was very much a part of that. I remember watching Westerns every Sunday afternoon as there was usually a matinee on. I have my Dad to thank for that, he's a huge fan. He still talks about playing “Cowboys and Indians” as a kid.

Dead Man

Seanspeed said:

Who isn't a fan of westerns? No one? That's right. And what other western from that era is better? Nothing? That's also right. Well done.

BlinkGT

Router said:
Europe = Hates America
Bullshit. RDR will be a great success in Europe (i'm french and i'm sure it will top the charts, everyone is waiting this game impatiently), trust me. Can't wait, and thanks for the great OP, by the way.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anyone heard of Morgan Kane? It's been translated to dozens of languages, and I believe english is one of them. It's by a norwegian writer. Insanely popular series of books, at least here in Norway.

Router said:
June 1st.... All over my face :D

I wonder if they'll remaster TGTBTU. I've always heard that the US release was really heavily de-noised which removed all the film grain and made everyone look like wax figures, while the Italian release was amazing but had no English voice track.

Hanmik

hmm.. just found a little review..

http://www.360groundwar.blogspot.com/

do not know if it has been posted yet.. but it´s some entertaining stuff.

I walked into the bank and it was busy. Unlike GTA where the insides are like cardboards these areas actually beam with life. Simply all I did was take out a gun and shoot the woman working the counter! Wow everyone started screaming and one guy even started punching me. It is something you truely need to see as in how realistic the actions on the NPC's were. At first I thought this was a scripted event but in all actuality I robbed many more places and the reactions were "random" but very realistic.

hmm.. I read it some more.. seems Realy fake and strange.. not much of a review.. sorry for the lame post..

Lime

Seanspeed said:
Really not trolling.

Older westerns tend to be very corny, if you ask me. Even the serious ones.

I appreciate them, but could see how people wouldn't like them.

The cinematography alone would cement the Leone films as classics meant to be appreciated by everyone. And that's not even mentioning the soundtrack, the characters and the story. If someone is unable to appreciate a film like The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, the person in question doesn't know films.

Vinci

Danish
Out of curiosity, did we ever hear what the differences are between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game? If I were to buy it, which I'm actively considering, I would be getting the PS3 version.

Vinci said:
Out of curiosity, did we ever hear what the differences are between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game? If I were to buy it, which I'm actively considering, I would be getting the PS3 version.
that's what a lot of us would like to know

Denzar

Vinci said:

Man, this question has been asked to death here. No-one knows except Rockstar themselves... :D

And this reviewer made a statement about the PS3 version.

Just as a heads up, I reviewed the game on PS3. It wasn't final code, so I was expecting a dodgy frame rate, poor performance, etc.

I can't compare, because 360/PS3 comparisons generally require side by side comparisons to see any real difference, but I thought the game ran very well on the PS3.

This pleases me.

And people that thought GTA IV ran "very well" were blind.

The Proposition watched, uh, it was interesting and pretty violent. Worth watching. I then noticed young guns was on max or something at like 4 am so I DVR'd that. :lol Seen it 20 times but it's been a long time, might seriously have to get tombstone blu-ray this week as well.

Vinci

Danish
Always-honest said:
that's what a lot of us would like to know

Well that's disappointing. Think I'll wait a couple of days after launch and see what the consensus is at that point before purchasing.

Crisco

Banned
I'm not gonna lie, I almost hope the PS3 version is gimped in some way (I only own a PS3) so I'll have an excuse to hold out for the eventual PC version.

Vinci

Danish
Crisco said:
I'm not gonna lie, I almost hope the PS3 version is gimped in some way (I only own a PS3) so I'll have an excuse to hold out for the eventual PC version.

Is a PC version likely?

A few more hours of work, and my 12-day vacation starts!

Will certainly use the time to watch some good westerns to get in the mood for RDR. :D

Vinci

Danish
Goldrusher said:
Read the OP. There's a FAQ section in which that very question is asked.

Read it. It made it sound unlikely. Just clarifying that that's the case; that something hasn't been brought up to warrant some hope of a PC version.

Denzar

magicaltrevor said:
A few more hours of work, and my 12-day vacation starts!

Will certainly use the time to watch some good westerns to get in the mood for RDR. :D
The Proposition is next for me.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Gravijah said:

To sum up what everyone already said, Europe defined the Western.

And with Europe I mean a specific Italian director ofcourse, Leone, and his movie were enormous hits over here while flopping in the U.S. ironic enough.

Someone over at RLLMUK (who I think works in the industry) says he got an email saying what I'd originally posted.

But as I can't find anything concrete online I decided to edit it for now!

Top Bottom