• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

demolitio

No mention whether or not it fixes the stat tracking itself though? Hell, I expected some minor fix for the bug causing FPS drops. :(

Dakota47

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger also made a post about the performance:

Ramm-Jaeger said:
We're working diligently on performance, but improvements/fixes for performance are going to take a bit longer. The fact of the matter is, as a PC game we really pushed the boundaries on the game's content. I know a lot of people have said things like "well I can run game X at 100 FPS on the highest settings." Well that may be true, but game X is most likely a console port and designed to run on a much lower spec machine than RO2. Honestly gamers have gotten a little too used to console ports designed to run on 4-5 year old kit. Everyone talks about the golden age of PC games in the 90's. Well back in that golden age it was very common for a new game to come out that pushed the hardware curve, and people would just update to keep ahead.

Others have said "but I think game X looks much better than RO2, I don't understand why RO2 runs worse." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, and whether someone thinks game X looks better than RO2 is usually down to whether people like our visual style. We don't go over the top with most effects, while other game studios make EVERYTHING from dirt to concrete shine like it's covered in vasoline or go crazy with their post processing. But at the end of the day, when you boil it down to cold hard data, RO2 is pushing more polygons, models, and shaders than most (if not all) other shooters currently on the market. To put it another way, there may be other games that are pushing more details on smaller levels, but we're pushing lots of detail in much larger levels than other games are doing.

With that said, there are improvements that can still be made, and there are things we could have done better before launch. In all of our testing internally the the game was running great on a wide range of hardware (for example, I have a five year old AMD FX-60 dual core with an 8800 sitting next to me that runs the game at a solid 50 frames per second). But as we have learned during the beta and launch there are certain types of PC configurations (even very powerful ones) that are struggling to run the game at a good framerate. So here is what we are working on to address these issues:

Level art optimization: for our levels we tuned our visual detail based on the test hardware we had in our offices. And for these machines the game ran great. But it turns out there are certain CPU's/video cards that frankly just choke on the number of objects we're throwing at them to render (even high end ones). It isn't that this hardware is bad, it just has different strengths/weaknesses than the hardware we developed the game for. So over the coming weeks we're going to be optimizing the levels to have less visible objects in view at one time, which should greatly increase the performance on these levels. Since this is a pretty extensive operation, it will take some time, and what you will likely see is us roll through 1 map at a time releasing an optimized version of each map.

General optimizations: we'll also continue to work on general optimizations to the engine/codebase itself. Some improvements will happen right away, others will be ongoing. This will be ongoing until we get to the point where we feel the majority of users are reasonably happy with the performance they are getting.

So how can you help? By getting us perflog dumps which will help us get the information we need to improve the performance. Please check out this link here for information on how to do this:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=61789

The more information we have, the easier it will be to track down these issues. So thank you for your patience while we get these issues sorted. And rest assured we're hard at work to make that happen.

demolitio

What I still don't get is how the last beta patch could run the game a lot better than retail. They mentioned some rendering problem, but they're going after these level optimizations when they were the same in the beta where it ran fine the night before launch. Hell, no matter what setting I'm on, my framerate will plummet after one round almost as if there was a memory leak or something.

DTKT

demolitio said:
What I still don't get is how the last beta patch could run the game a lot better than retail. They mentioned some rendering problem, but they're going after these level optimizations when they were the same in the beta where it ran fine the night before launch. Hell, no matter what setting I'm on, my framerate will plummet after one round almost as if there was a memory leak or something.

That's my experience too. It starts out pretty smooth and it just plummets as the match goes on.

I've been getting perfect results with this set-up, resolution bumped down from 1920x1200 for the purpose of fitting in the thread. I'm using 6970 + X6 1055T.

1F8AF502E468EE478DCBE0FB07C045875BEF364A

I always turn off bloom because it hurts my eyes.

Sethos

Banned
scorpscarx said:
Read man, read, I did it for the thread lol. I'm at 1920x1200.

:p.

That's the first time I have ever seen anyone use a different resolution to scale the screenshot, rather than downsize it in paint, photoshop etc. xD

Here's my "Perfect 60" settings, never dips below.

fK8P6.png

And I do suggest people stay well clear of MLAA, especially nVidia cards. MLAA has a tendency to just overburden your GPU when it renders a new scene, so you might see huge dips when you turn, especially when you turn fast. FXAA High is the best solution but it gets my FPS down to 45-50 in some areas of certain levels. FXAA Medium is my sweet spot.

Sethos

Banned
Really? SSAO doesn't do anything for me whatsoever, other than add more shadows here and there and take a 20fps+ hit at times. Not worth it by a long shot.

Sethos said:
Really? SSAO doesn't do anything for me whatsoever, other than add more shadows here and there and take a 20fps+ hit at times. Not worth it by a long shot.

It's very subtle, but there. You can't even tell from these two Steam shots but I'll post link anyway, lol.

It's like "spaces" and niches within the overall look of the scene are more inviting visually with the more realistic light properties than without it, where it looks flatter to me.

Open two tabs and click back and forth between them.
With
Without

Sethos

Banned
That just proves my point, no way in hell worth the FPS hit :p

I do not look at subtle details with bullets whizzing past and a racing heart.

This game is completely unplayable for me atm. Both cores on my CPU are constantly at 100% and I get around 20 fps no matter which settings I choose. I know that my CPU is old, but this is ridiculous.

I'm getting a new CPU next week, but I was hoping that it could at least be playable until then. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait.

Sethos said:
That just proves my point, no way in hell worth the FPS hit :p

I do not look at subtle details with bullets whizzing past and a racing heart.

I admit defeat, your right it's really not.

AndyMoogle said:
This game is completely unplayable for me atm. Both cores on my CPU are constantly at 100% and I get around 20 fps no matter which settings I choose. I know that my CPU is old, but this is ridiculous.

I'm getting a new CPU next week, but I was hoping that it could at least be playable until then. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait.

What video card do you have?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
AndyMoogle said:

what CPU do you have?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
"Golden Age" of pc gaming huh? F that I like not having to upgrade every year lol. That said this game is amazing! besides high end graphic cards a lot more expensive these days :/

kn4rf said:
Not sure if new info or not but here goes!

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger posted this info on the official boards regarding today's patch.
Nice!

demolitio said:
What helped me was to force AA. It runs much better for me when I force MLAA than with the in-game option for instance. FXAA was running to sluggishly on my machine regardless of quality setting. Haven't had the FPS drop thing ever since switching to the full release-funny coincidence. Had that in the beta quite often.

Doc Holliday said:
"Golden Age" of pc gaming huh? F that I like not having to upgrade every year lol. That said this game is amazing! besides high end graphic cards a lot more expensive these days :/
I can run this on my old 5850 just fine.

RaPt[+]R

Neo Member
Fellow RO2 players,

I am encountering a strange bug with RO2 with which I could use your assistance in order to determine if this bug is relative to the game itself or my computer. Whenever I enable crossfire and jump in a multiplayer game, my entire system will freeze approximately 15-20 minutes into a match, everytime. If I disable crossfire, the game will never freeze. Please note, this is NOT a "crash" where my system will BSOD; rather, the game freezes in place and nothing I do will un-freeze it.

To offer a few more facts concerning this issue: I am confident that my power-supply is providing enough power to my system. In addition, the freeze happens whether I have my CPU and GPUs OC'd or not. After much trial and error, I have verified that the issue ONLY happens when crossfire is enabled on this game alone. No other games freeze when I enable crossfire.

Here are my system specs:
ASUS M4A78T-E mobo
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 Ghz
2 x XFX ATI Radeon 6950s w/ 6970 BIOS installed.
8 GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1333 Mhz
Corsair 1200 Watt PSU (completely unnecessary, but I love the power!)

If anyone has any thoughts to share, please do so. Thank you in advance for any help offered!

I don't think I've ever wanted to play a game so bad that I am so incredibly horrible at. All I think about in class is repeatedly getting killed in this game and how fun it is.

kn4rf

CriginsMcJuggs said:
I don't think I've ever wanted to play a game so bad that I am so incredibly horrible at. All I think about in class is repeatedly getting killed in this game and how fun it is.

Happens to me as well, makes the few kills I do get MUCH more satisfying.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Another problem if anyone knows. Sometimes when I launch it, it doesn't launch correctly. Instead if produces a finger size box and crashes.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
kn4rf said:
Happens to me as well, makes the few kills I do get MUCH more satisfying.

Ditto, usually I'm anywhere inbetween mid and bottom in my team (not because of TK mind you, because of lack of kills ) but when you get that 1 kill... jesus it's soo good..

Game benefits from a sharp eye(read face into monitor) and middle sensitivity on the slider rather than low, assuming your 6/11 windows.

That might help you guys.

Corky

Le sigh... 4 crashes in like 25 minutes, at least let me finish a round for crying out loud.

Corky said:
Ditto, usually I'm anywhere inbetween mid and bottom in my team (not because of TK mind you, because of lack of kills ) but when you get that 1 kill... jesus it's soo good..
But kills don't net you considerable points. Get into the cap and you will surely be mid to top. If you're at the bottom you don't go for objectives (which is OK if you're a support type, otherwise it's not :)).

subversus

can someone explaing me sniper mechanic? I'm stuck at sniper's tutorial, can't hit last target in the center.

Corky

Phife Dawg said:
But kills don't net you considerable points. Get into the cap and you will surely be mid to top. If you're at the bottom you don't go for objectives (which is OK if you're a support type, otherwise it's not :)).

I'm gonna be perfectly honest here, I have NO frigging idea what the objectives are about. Things just pop up on my screen and I go "DERP FIRE GUNS THAT WAY PEW PEW" :(. I wish I knew what you're supposed to do though.

On another note.

Ozdasaf wasn't the brightest of mother russias red army. His commanding officer told him to point with his finger at whatever he wants to kill. He complied.

rogame2011-09-1522-08-ucky.png

edit : sigh... looking at the screen I'm kicked in the nuts again by the atrocious font/ui/everything that is not 3D.

subversus

lol this game has some quite exotic bugs.

I was playing my first game and five minutes in the game suddenly messed my input. Like when I was pressing W I was alt-tabbing to desktop. I wasn't able to fix that and quit the game.

But my input was still messed up! Spacebar didn't work and when I pressed ctrl-f Windows opened msconfig, two windows and some error window. So I rebooted.

During these five minutes I killed two germans - one from afar and one at close distance when he was carelessly hoping over a windowsill. I was killed once when I pressed the wrong button. I don't know why people have problems with game mechanics. I was crouching or crawling most of the time, sprinting was like a challenge. You should just move forward slowly and be aware of your surroundings.

I run it maxed out with FXAA on low. Steady 30-40 fps, but I wish it was higher. Also the game is huge, there are a lot expensive effects like DOF and so on. I don't get complaints above perfomance, console ports ruined people for real. Animations looked quite smooth, didn't get complaints either.

dunno, seems like a good game.

I played this game for 3 hours now. Got some nice kills and a lot of deaths ^^
There are a lot of problems when i try to join a server. Game crashed several times :(

scorpscarx said:
What video card do you have?
subversus said:
what CPU do you have?
C2D E6750 @ 3.2GHz and a GTX460. Both CPU cores run at 100% at all times during gameplay so it's definitely the CPU. The CPU has been a bottleneck in other games, but it has never been this bad. I'm getting a 2500k next week so I'll come back to the game then.

arotator

Neo Member
I missed my Red Orchestra. I've never enjoyed an fps this much, ever. The game is far from perfect, however.

For example, I discovered a bug when trying to filter servers. Every time I'd do so and join a server the game would crash. I tried it four different times and then promptly took the filter settings off. No problems since.

subversus

played my first round.

We lost but now I understand why people love this game. I got only one kill and it was totally worth it. This motherfucker slayed three of our dudes in one spray and then I took him out from afar with my rifle. We advanced a bit but got under pretty heavy fire. I was sitting behind the cover for like 2 minutes straight, waiting for our tank to drive forward, then I decided to sprint to the fence. I got hit of course, but managed to use the bandage in time before I bled out. I was crawling behind the fence right to the bloodied corpse of our soldier while bullets were whizzing above my head. It was so tense that I started pulling my neck into my shoulders for real.

sound design is terrific. Voices, engines roaring, gunshots sound very clean. I like that soldiers comment on what's going, it adds a lot of tension and immersion, also helps being aware of what's currently going on.

I will play this game.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I really should read a how to play guide :/ I must have TK'd 3 guys in my first game, I thought the red tags meant enemy. I also need to get a hang of the range finding.

Ugh, the texture pop-in is beyond ugly here. I like the look they're going for, but everything in the distance is so... murky. It makes the bigger, brighter maps no good.

Dina

Beat the German side of the campaign.

Yeah... it's pretty mediocre. So mediocre I wonder why they've put even time into this. The AI is atrocious. 90s shooter kind of bad. Maps are all multiplayer maps, down to the capturable zones.

Surely the time spend on SP would have been better spend on more maps or less bugs.

ACE 1991

Man, this game's performance is just as wacky as everyone said. For some reason the game will NEVER dip below 30 frames, and stays there most of the time. For those who are getting 60 frames with max settings, what kind of rigs do you have? Also do any gaffers who know what the fuck they're doing want to play with me in about 45 or so minutes? I'm a member of the steam group.

n0n44m

222mb patch, now the servers need to be updated before I can join em...

off to bed will play some more tomorrow :p

Top Bottom