• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Tokubetsu

Snuggler said:
sweet jesus, this is an amazing sounding game - the gun shots are the best I've ever heard

pretty much everything about the gunplay is great

Friendly MG legit scared the shit out of me today. I was crawling towards him, saw him on it but was not ready when he fired it haha.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Now that I've got this up and running, I've been playing the single player and it's suprisingly good. It doesn't have a plot or any scripted crap, but the combat is incredible. It puts all of the Battlefields and Call of Duty's to shame. It may not be the main attraction, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Once I'm done with the campaign, I'll move on to the real deal.

Qwomo

I really love the feel of the bayonet, gives riflemen a great way to defend themselves in close quarters. Feels sooo goood to get a twofer with the bayo, too.

Never really used it in the first game, either.

Sethos

Banned
subversus said:
I decided to buy it today just out of curiosity. It looks very good and gunplay is outstanding, so I might play SP just to get the hang of mechanics.

So all your doom & gloom was for nothing?

Salsa

Snuggler said:
Now that I've got this up and running, I've been playing the single player and it's suprisingly good. It doesn't have a plot or any scripted crap, but the combat is incredible. It puts all of the Battlefields and Call of Duty's to shame. It may not be the main attraction, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Once I'm done with the campaign, I'll move on to the real deal.

wasnt it unplayable a second ago?

demolitio

subversus said:
it doesn't look like this game encourages camping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJOEaHGRSA

I decided to buy it today just out of curiosity. It looks very good and gunplay is outstanding, so I might play SP just to get the hang of mechanics.
I hope you enjoy it. To me, the guns in this game are the best out there in terms of sound, feel, hit detection, ballistics, etc. No game makes it so satisfying to drop a guy from 200m away while he's in full sprint. The game does have its problems, some that weren't even there in the end of the beta ironically enough, but the gameplay is extremely solid and we know the game will improve with TW's history of supporting their games. Not to mention, free DLC is always nice. :p

Be sure to join the GAF group and play with some other gaffers in your timezone. I just wish more people used the mics in the game.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Snuggler said:
sweet jesus, this is an amazing sounding game - the gun shots are the best I've ever heard

pretty much everything about the gunplay is great

yeah and it makes kills feels so satisfying. u really feel like u earned each and every kill.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sethos said:
So all your doom & gloom was for nothing?

why? It's an experiment, I'm not buying the game because I expect to enjoy it. I want to see how it runs on my system with bugs and all that stuff + experience 1 mission just because of gunplay. I'll pay 15$ for the game, so it's all right, they'll fix it anyway.

and if everything turns out to be ok, then I'll be a happy camper (literally). So I want to test my luck, it's part of the fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
wasnt it unplayable a second ago?

I got it ironed out. I had to disable a program that was throwing things off, it was my fault. It still needs some optimization but it's perfectly playable now. I'm happy.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm really feeling machine gunner lately. At least, on maps that are opened up and let me do my thing. I don't think I'd like Fallen Fighters without a machine gun now, heh.

Had some really exciting moments on that Goon server (Kentucky Fried Gulasch) earlier. Still have yet to play with anyone here on GAF, though.

Divius

subversus said:
it doesn't look like this game encourages camping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJOEaHGRSA
Alright, so I am enjoying the SP and the stuff in this video looks amazing and I'm so close to buying this, but what's putting me off is that it's so buggy
and that I'm kinda broke
. What to do what to do..

Nelo Ice

Banned
&Divius said:
Alright, so I am enjoying the SP and the stuff in this video looks amazing and I'm so close to buying this, but what's putting me off is that it's so buggy
and that I'm kinda broke
. What to do what to do..

well cheapest ive seen it is $24 at getgamesgo and unless its been fixed or its on purpose they are giving deluxe edition keys. :p

also more people need to buy this! one of the funnest games ive played and i wish i got RO1. i remember people saying how hard and difficult it was to play it so that turned me off but im so glad i got a beta key from voodoo extreme since it completely sold me on the game.

Light shafts seem to vary between "fucking incredible" and "making me worry my video card is overheating."

eDd4Z.jpg

0bRrc.jpg

Also, the game dumped about a dozen achievements on me at the end of my last round, none of which I earned. Apparently I've killed 250 dudes, and 50 more with a tank gun!

demolitio

GuiltybyAssociation said:
I'm really feeling machine gunner lately. At least, on maps that are opened up and let me do my thing. I don't think I'd like Fallen Fighters without a machine gun now, heh.

Had some really exciting moments on that Goon server (Kentucky Fried Gulasch) earlier. Still have yet to play with anyone here on GAF, though.
I joined that server today after seeing some gaffers in it so I might have been on then. I play under the name -Demo- and pretty much only join other gaffers' servers when I get on.

Nelo Ice

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
Light shafts seem to vary between "fucking incredible" and "making me worry my video card is overheating."

http://i.imgur.com/eDd4Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0bRrc.jpg

Also, the game dumped about a dozen achievements on me at the end of my last round, none of which I earned. Apparently I've killed 250 dudes, and 50 more with a tank gun!

first bugged achievement i got was getting a kill with a rifle from 100m even though the actual kill was like 10m or less lol.

subversus

BigJiantRobut said:

I bet you own AMD. If not than that's good for me. I had the same shit in Bulletstorm. Sadly Epic is in bed with Nvidia.

Qwomo

That is exactly the sort of attitude that all publishers/developers should have. You cheat, you lose the game.

subversus said:
I bet you own AMD. If not than that's good for me. I had the same shit in Bulletstorm. Sadly Epic is in bed with Nvidia.

Yep! I had the same shit in Bulletstorm.

Qwomo said:
That is exactly the sort of attitude that all publishers/developers should have. You cheat, you lose the game.

Except it's bullshit when your cheat detection doesn't fucking work. I've gotten "speed-hack detected!" warnings for sprinting during a ping spike, as have many other people on the Steam forums. Punkbuster is a trigger-happy mofo.

AcridMeat

Banned
After not the best first impression (incredibly laggy server) this game has started to show me how special it is. The in-game sounds and the music playing in the background makes this feel like a war movie produced in the Eastern block.

I was blown away when I had been shooting at an enemy, they disappeared and after a while of waiting in cover my character said something to the effect of "Ahhgh, where did you go?" First time I've felt fear in a war game.

I even had a fairly good round already, finishing in the top half of the team and having a life with 4 or 5 kills. Encouraging after the memories of being repeatedly destroyed in the first game.

Nelo Ice

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
Yep! I had the same shit in Bulletstorm.

Except it's bullshit when your cheat detection doesn't fucking work. I've gotten "speed-hack detected!" warnings for sprinting during a ping spike, as have many other people on the Steam forums. Punkbuster is a trigger-happy mofo.

yep why do devs still use punkbuster? its like the worst anticheating tool out there.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Excerpt from C.J. Chiver's The Gun (2010):

Colonel Louis A. La Garde, of the United States Army Medical Corps, later reviewed casualty data from the war [the Russo-Japanese war] and noticed something that should have been readily observable by any attache on hand: the military futility of a bayonet charge. Of 170,600 Russian soldiers documented as wounded or killed, bayonet wounds accounted for 0.4 percent. More wounds, Colonel La Garde found, were caused by stones.

Yes, I mad.

Nickiepoo

Llyranor said:
Focus on staying alive rather than getting kills. This doesn't mean staying way back or camping, but you should moving towards the objectives in ways that shouldn't be putting you in needless danger. That means keeping an eye on locations where you could get sniped from, and keeping your head down when moving about. I get immense satisfying from having survived an impossible situation, even if I didn't even get a kill.

The fact that in our game last night, I'd had a few drinks and couldn't aim for crap but still got the highest score in the server by a decent margin (from capping and defense) should hammer this point home.

In most game modes kills are a side-effect of playing well, not a goal or a real measure of success.

Sethos

Banned
I just love the fact that deaths aren't counted and kills gives you one single point, unless it's in an objective zone of course. Finally a game developer that rates kill at the very bottom, not equal to.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sub_Level said:

Colonel Louis A. La Garde, of the United States Army Medical Corps, later reviewed casualty data from the war [the Russo-Japanese war] and noticed something that should have been readily observable by any attache on hand: the military futility of a bayonet charge. Of 170,600 Russian soldiers documented as wounded or killed, bayonet wounds accounted for 0.4 percent. More wounds, Colonel La Garde found, were caused by stones.

Yes, I mad.
Yeah true. It's why people who are stabbed to death generally receive multiple (in the dozens upon dozens) of stabs before they kick the bucket. The human body is quite resilient when it comes to sharp objects piercing the body.

Tokubetsu

Nickiepoo said:
The fact that in our game last night, I'd had a few drinks and couldn't aim for crap but still got the highest score in the server by a decent margin (from capping and defense) should hammer this point home.

In most game modes kills are a side-effect of playing well, not a goal or a real measure of success.

I was playing earlier on a map I forget the name of right now but anyway, both teams were sort of running/converging on one building as soon as we spawned. Axis dump out of one building entrance (myself included) and we all see one Russian, running in a totally different path from his team. We all, and I mean ALL of us, drop and fire at him...and hit nothing but air. It was hilarious. Something out of a movie. He just sprinted across our view and dived on the opposite end. A full 3-4 second window we could have dropped him and no one managed to hit him.

subversus said:
why? It's an experiment, I'm not buying the game because I expect to enjoy it. I want to see how it runs on my system with bugs and all that stuff + experience 1 mission just because of gunplay. I'll pay 15$ for the game, so it's all right, they'll fix it anyway.

and if everything turns out to be ok, then I'll be a happy camper (literally). So I want to test my luck, it's part of the fun.

How?

R1CHO

Sub_Level said:

Yes, I mad.

Right there what this game needs, stones, do it tripware.

subversus

Fallout-NL said:
Don't speak Russian. Do they just sell keys, or what?

they sell games as downloads, but all Steamwork games come as a key which you must activate on Steam. Same as Gamersgate. You won't be able to play the game outside CIS though.

Llyranor

Tokubetsu said:
We all, and I mean ALL of us, drop and fire at him...and hit nothing but air. It was hilarious. Something out of a movie. He just sprinted across our view and dived on the opposite end. A full 3-4 second window we could have dropped him and no one managed to hit him.
The devil's luck! When an enemy sprints out in open ground and manages to survive after we take a bunch of pot shots at him, I figure he deserves to live, if only for a little while longer.

It's exhilarating when you take a risk and do your own sprinting and see/hear bullets whiz past you, and you dash to cover, wondering how in blazes you survived that. Awesome!

DTKT

3chopl0x said:
So what's happening in regards to patches with this game? Haven't seen any news :s

According to Yohsiros Twitter, they are looking into the stats and the early unlocks. I trust TW to support the game over the coming months. :)

DTKT said:
According to Yohsiros Twitter, they are looking into the stats and the early unlocks. I trust TW to support the game over the coming months. :)

Too late for the early unlocks, pointless now. Day 1 was the key to those gun unlocks, I just wanted to use the MKG(or whatever) 42 damnit, lol.

Max

I am not Max
scorpscarx said:
Too late for the early unlocks, pointless now. Day 1 was the key to those gun unlocks, I just wanted to use the MKG(or whatever) 42 damnit, lol.
Seriously. The MP44 is my favourite gun ever, and the MKB42 is half the reason I spent an extra $8.

Anyone have any idea when it unlocks normally?

Sethos

Banned
I hope they give Digital Deluxe buyers a tiny compensation of some sort for the missing unlocks - Least they can do.

Dakota47

Max said:
Seriously. The MP44 is my favourite gun ever, and the MKB42 is half the reason I spent an extra $8.

Anyone have any idea when it unlocks normally?

Not sure, but since the stats are broken anyway it doesn't really matter.

kn4rf

Not sure if new info or not but here goes!

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger posted this info on the official boards regarding today's patch.

Ramm-Jaeger said:
Everyone,

I wanted to make everyone aware first off that we're hard at work addressing the issues that have been discovered since the launch. Additionally, we'll be releasing the first patch for the game today in just a little while. This patch will address among other things:

- fixing the day 1 unlocks not working
- spawn menu looping bug
- various crash fixes
- decreased AI MG accuracy for vehicle AI

To be quite frank with you it has taken us a little longer than usual to get an update out post launch. Without going into the boring technical details, the patching functionality built into UE3 is heavily geared toward consoles. So we've struggled a bit working out how to properly do patches on the PC, without requiring a massive download. Anyone in the beta remembers that every update for the beta was fairly large, and this is the reason why. We had thought we had all of this worked out before the final release, but that was not the case.

So rather than saddle you all with a multi-gig download for a small code patch, we've been slaving away on the patching system to get this issue resolved. Fortunately, it looks like we've finally cracked this issue, and will be able to deliver code patches to you all now without requiring overly large downloads.

So once again, you will see an update today, and many more to come. Thank you for your patience while we work diligently to get these issues resolved for you.

Top Bottom