• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Stitch said:
I wish the camera would stay longer on me when I get killed. I wan't to see how I died :D

I wish I could control the camera while dead, I mean I know they give you the option and have the 3 buttons on the lower side of the screen, but I sure as hell know that those commands don't obey me when I press respective button. Or atleast not the way I intend them to do.

RS4-

Any word on the uh...what was it, some sort of free to play weekend? I was really hyped for the game then it kind of died down because I was spending money on console games instead lol.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah, I'm already done with this game.

I *FINALLY* got a round where I could stay somewhat close to 30fps (even though I should be getting 60+), and where my ping would stay under 200.

I literally could not live for more than 15 sec. I know I'm gonna get a bunch of "you just suck", but seriously, this is Camping: The Video Game. I'd spawn, quite literally take less than 50 steps in any direction, and I'd get shot and killed.

Meh. Not for me. Off to go play some Dead Island until Gears gets here.

Game is still fun on integrated graphics.

Nothing beats laying down an mg and messing everything that moves up.

Hope the mg 42 is unlock-able.

demolitio

Skel1ingt0n said:
Yeah, I'm already done with this game.

I *FINALLY* got a round where I could stay somewhat close to 30fps (even though I should be getting 60+), and where my ping would stay under 200.

I literally could not live for more than 15 sec. I know I'm gonna get a bunch of "you just suck", but seriously, this is Camping: The Video Game. I'd spawn, quite literally take less than 50 steps in any direction, and I'd get shot and killed.

Meh. Not for me. Off to go play some Dead Island until Gears gets here.
Like we said multiple times, this isn't a game where you expect to be the best player in the server as soon as you play. I sucked at first and couldn't make it out of spawn because I didn't know the maps and which place is safe. Hell, you can get any objective you want if you use some smoke grenades.

This game rewards you if you put the time into it but you can't expect to dominate people who've been playing the beta for weeks now.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
demolitio said:
Like we said multiple times, this isn't a game where you expect to be the best player in the server as soon as you play. I sucked at first and couldn't make it out of spawn because I didn't know the maps and which place is safe. Hell, you can get any objective you want if you use some smoke grenades.

This game rewards you if you put the time into it but you can't expect to dominate people who've been playing the beta for weeks now.

Well, even in the beginning, there will be 20+ guys running around. I'll follow a group of 7 or 8 who seem determined to get to a spot, and when they settle behind something (to camp, mind you), I'll settle down behind an object right behind them. 2 seconds later... BOOM, I'm dead.

Next time the round begins, I'll follow a different group. Boom! Four of us get killed just moving 50 feet from spawn. Meh.

I mean, I dropped the cash on it, so I definitely WANT to like it. I don't even need to be decent to enjoy it. If I could get a kill for every five deaths or so, I'd be fine. But I seriously died like 15 times for each kill I got. That just isn't much fun.

And, again, I'd probably be more tolerant toward the learning curve if the game wasn't a buggy mess. But I'm trying really hard to fight through all the glitches just to die over and over. Eh...

NIN90

Skel1ingt0n said:
Well, even in the beginning, there will be 20+ guys running around. I'll follow a group of 7 or 8 who seem determined to get to a spot, and when they settle behind something (to camp, mind you), I'll settle down behind an object right behind them. 2 seconds later... BOOM, I'm dead.

Next time the round begins, I'll follow a different group. Boom! Four of us get killed just moving 50 feet from spawn. Meh.

You mean you have to learn maps like every other FPS? :OOOOO!

Llyranor

Skel1ingt0n said:
I mean, I dropped the cash on it, so I definitely WANT to like it. I don't even need to be decent to enjoy it. If I could get a kill for every five deaths or so, I'd be fine. But I seriously died like 15 times for each kill I got. That just isn't much fun.
Focus on staying alive rather than getting kills. This doesn't mean staying way back or camping, but you should moving towards the objectives in ways that shouldn't be putting you in needless danger. That means keeping an eye on locations where you could get sniped from, and keeping your head down when moving about. I get immense satisfying from having survived an impossible situation, even if I didn't even get a kill.

Spookie

NIN90 said:
You mean you have to learn maps like every other FPS? :OOOOO!

Oh come on. The game is awfully unforgiving and people can kill you from behind a pixel wide crack in the wall. Christ, I do it all the time! Try to work out who the defending side is on territory and learn the maps that way. Getting a feel for how the gun handles, how much you have to lead and the usual camping spots for attackers will make your life much easier.

Edit: Also GRENADES FUCKERS. Jesus people don't use them enough. Even at the site of them people will shit their pants, leaving them open to shoot them in the back like the bastard you are suppose to be.

DTKT

Alienshogun said:
So what's the general consensus?

Game is good but has issues. If you trust TW in their commitment to support RO2 in the coming months. If you know what you are getting into(in terms of style of play), Buy it!

If you are unsure about any of those things, don't.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
DTKT said:
Game is good but has issues. If you trust TW in their commitment to support RO2 in the coming months. If you know what you are getting into(in terms of style of play), Buy it!

If you are unsure about any of those things, don't.

So wait a while.

Ok, thanks guys.

I'll watch some streams to see what I think.

DTKT

SirButterstick said:
I wonder if they rushed it to beat bF3/mw3. That's at least how it seems to me. I would of done same in their shoes.

They would be absolutely insane to do that. I think that, at some point, you need to get the game out. It was already delayed once and the internet uproar was just silly.

Then, you have to consider the length of time it would have taken to actually "fix" the game to the standard of a bug-free release. We're talking a couple of weeks or even 2-3 months here. Or at least, that what it seemed to me.

demolitio

I hope they at least get a partial fix out there for the FPS bug. The last beta patch ran wonderfully and now I'm back to having the most inconsistent framerate possible. That and the lag that's been happening a lot lately even when the pings didn't skyrocket.

I wish I could still play the beta lol.

Kritz

Banned
I'm finding I really dislike the ppsh as a gun. It's cool ar short range, but compared to the MP40 it's fucking trash. Like, burst firing and all that makes it kind of manageable, but you're at a disadvantage when the German assaults don't have to bother.

(I'm not saying they change it, because realism / authenticity and shit. It's just a wonder that I keep trying to play it instead of a rifleman)

Oh, this game really needs a team reversal at the end of rounds. It's kinda shit to attack an objective, win, then have to do exactly the same thing again. On countdown it changes your objectives, but you still stay the same army. Feels like it should let you play Germans one round then swap to Russians.

I'd articulate what I mean a bit better if I wasnt posting from a phone.

Deadbeat

Banned
hopefully my stats start saving. Getting 22 kills in a row with the mp40(and scraping ammo off dead teammates) in tdm then it not saving made me want to kill somebody. I WANT MY DUAL MAG UNLOCK.

The people complaining in here that the game is hard frankly kinda shocks me, this game is actually pretty easy, put in a couple of hours and your gravy.

I am getting like 40+ kills per round, I've been playing it way too much granted.

It's not a hard game at all, don't really know what to tell you.

Also stop camping, move up and take the objectives!!!

This made me laugh.

4096AF547400EA70DFD3201A97256BB1864A43FE

If only it was one more 0.

Salsa

im a bit bothered by the fact that i cant quite mantain 60fps on either ultra or high settings, even though i should..

i think the beta ran better

Card Boy

Banned
scorpscarx said:
Holy hell disable "One frame thread lag," and bask in the FPS improvement, what exactly beneficial does that do anyway?

It's in the bottom right.

Your reading it wrong, the X's means stuff that is enabled. One frame thread lag is disabled already.

Gez said:
Your reading it wrong, the X's means stuff that is enabled. One frame thread lag is disabled already.

No man, I was simply using that image to illustrate where it is, not a response to your thread. I am well aware.

It's on by default.

Qwomo

The one thing I hate about grain elevator is all the idiot russian teammates who immediately rush to the top floors and snipe for the whole map.

It's like ururuuuughghr get in the fucking cap zone.

Varna

Yeah. I don't know what the fuck is going on with this game. Now I am getting crashes just looking for a game and when a map finishes loading. Guess I'll just come back to this later. :(

Qwomo said:
The one thing I hate about grain elevator is all the idiot russian teammates who immediately rush to the top floors and snipe for the whole map.

It's like ururuuuughghr get in the fucking cap zone.

Yeah lol, I think we are going to have to be patient and let the noob's play the game for about 2 weeks, then people will start to cap :p.

At first in this game, you're kind of scared to move lol.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Still unplayable for me. I've tried every solution I can think of, but it runs as low as 1-2FPS, even with all settings turned down. It's kinda depressing! It doesn't help that I seem to be the only person on the internet having this issue, so the next patch might not target this issue. I don't even care about the money, I just want to play the darn game.

Believe I found my niche in this game.

Sniping. I perched up on a tall building and took out so many people trying to capture a point. I felt evil, I felt unbeatable.

Ended up with this.

0DB3D6465CD8B69EF132A102B38FDA41442718A3

Sethos

Banned
Is it possible to remove the HUD with a key or a custom keybind and obviously be able to enable it again? For movie making / machinima purposes.

Oh and by the way, didn't they say you'd be able to activate native language in the retail version, instead of those comical English shouts in bad Russian and German accents?

Qwomo

Sethos said:
Oh and by the way, didn't they say you'd be able to activate native language in the retail version, instead of those comical English shouts in bad Russian and German accents?
There was some fix on the forums where you replace the english voice commands with localized Russian/German files, but it didn't really work for me. Only a handful of the russian commands changed to actual russian.

They did say there would be a menu option, though.

Sethos

Banned
Qwomo said:
There was some fix on the forums where you replace the english voice commands with localized Russian/German files, but it didn't really work for me. Only a handful of the russian commands changed to actual russian.

They did say there would be a menu option, though.

Guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Oh and random bunch of downsampled screenshots from one of the maps.

D33AG.png

nja7h.png

vESmn.png

C0sD4.png

hsoWg.png

demolitio

Doesn't "One Thread Frame Lag" give you a nice boost if it's on? In the beta, if you disabled that your FPS would drop in half.

I'm still hoping a fix isn't too far off for a few things. Unlocks being one but that framerate killer being fixed. It sounded like it was something that might not be fixed in just one patch but they can hope to improve it by a bit. That last patch for the beta was such a tease. :p

Relax.MX

Snuggler said:
Still unplayable for me. I've tried every solution I can think of, but it runs as low as 1-2FPS, even with all settings turned down. It's kinda depressing! It doesn't help that I seem to be the only person on the internet having this issue, so the next patch might not target this issue. I don't even care about the money, I just want to play the darn game.

Your are not alone...same here my friend...

tiong_fi

I'm having no issues whatsoever and the game looks and plays amazing. Getting around 40fps stable with everything on ultra except shadows on high. Running on a i7 920 @ 3GHz, 6GB RAM and HD6950 2GB.

Spookie said:
Man this game. I can't catch a break, how do these bugs even get to retail?
What am I looking at in the second pic? My hand never disappeared but that's some small stuff that is bound to happen with a very small team.

Skel1ingt0n said:

And, again, I'd probably be more tolerant toward the learning curve if the game wasn't a buggy mess. But I'm trying really hard to fight through all the glitches just to die over and over. Eh...
It's territory gameplay, it's a war game, of course people will set up shop. Hints: Don't run around in the open, don't peek your head for more than a blink/a shot, change positions so enemies can't zero you in, use different routes to approach the objective, change roles to fit the combat situation if need be, learn the maps by plaing on both sides to see where the routes are etc.

Kritz said:
I'm finding I really dislike the ppsh as a gun. It's cool ar short range, but compared to the MP40 it's fucking trash. Like, burst firing and all that makes it kind of manageable, but you're at a disadvantage when the German assaults don't have to bother.

(I'm not saying they change it, because realism / authenticity and shit. It's just a wonder that I keep trying to play it instead of a rifleman)

Oh, this game really needs a team reversal at the end of rounds. It's kinda shit to attack an objective, win, then have to do exactly the same thing again. On countdown it changes your objectives, but you still stay the same army. Feels like it should let you play Germans one round then swap to Russians.

I'd articulate what I mean a bit better if I wasnt posting from a phone.
Ppsh beats MP40 in close quarters easily imo. I do agree though, MP40 feels a tad too accurate on medium ranges.

I also agree with the rounds, swap attackers and defenders pls. Maybe there already is a server side option?

Snuggler said:
Have you contacted TW support?

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

rabhw said:
What is the "go-to" gametype in this game, and what is the "avoid" gametype?

I want to filter out the crap servers if possible :)
Depends on your taste. I mainly play territory, countdown is OK, FF is utterly useless imo (can be used for levelling up weapons though).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
sweet jesus, this is an amazing sounding game - the gun shots are the best I've ever heard

pretty much everything about the gunplay is great

Top Bottom