• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why do they need to make a more "commercially viable" game? I thought the point of gamepass was to relieve devs/studios of much of the commercial burden that usually exists?

If it had been in development since 2017 as some have said, or even 5+ years like the devs have, it was in development long before the acquisition. The mandate to make a more commercially viable game would have come from Zenimax only, then.

Last edited:
If it had been in development since 2017 as some have said, or even 5+ years like the devs have, it was in development long before the acquisition. The mandate to make a more commercially viable game would have come from Zenimax only, then.
and you believe the end result is a 5+ year game in development? .....something went terribly wrong that is for sure.

adamsapple

and you believe the end result is a 5+ year game in development? .....something went terribly wrong that is for sure.

kill-bill-you-aint-kidding.gif

That much was obvious when this is the end result after a full calendar years delay from its original projection.

Last edited:
I wonder if they drop stuff like this on gamepass and think people will think “omg….must buy series x and gamepass subscription must play redfall…..its not on ps5”

GHG

Gold Member

Ok, so that means Microsoft had ~3 years overseeing this project. No supposed financial burden due to a combination of the gamepass model and Microsoft's backing yet this is the product that gets shoved out the door.

Sorry, but it doesn't correlate.

FrankWza

I wonder if they drop stuff like this on gamepass and think people will think “omg….must buy series x and gamepass subscription must play redfall…..its not on ps5”
That's kind of what their Twitter influencers were saying isn't it? Making Forspoken comparisons

kuncol02

Banned
Ok, so that means Microsoft had ~3 years overseeing this project. No supposed financial burden due to a combination of the gamepass model and Microsoft's backing yet this is the product that gets shoved out the door.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to stay on that site. Level of discusion there is worse than terrible most of the time. It's easiest fact to check. Acquisition was finalized 9 march 2021. That's literally first day MS could speak about anything development related with people in Zenimax.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I've played a few hours on PC. Is it horrible? No. Is it good? No. It is just ok. I'm going to keep playing if that tells you anything. Maybe it will get better.

This game could have been a hell of a lot better if it were delayed. I'm convinced of that.

Spencer better not pull this shit with Starfield. If that game needs to wait until 2024 then fucking delay it.
I've done about two hours in PC as well and these are my thoughts as well. The concept and the world are cool...too bad it'll be a dead IP.

adamsapple

Sure, you can believe that. But blaming the state of this game on 'game pass' and the 'race to the bottom' or other assorted commentary that gets brought up is not accurate. Game Pass wasn't a factor in this games state at launch. If the mission was to have stuff out quick to bolster the sub lineup, this would have come out last year.

Calverz

I've done about two hours in PC as well and these are my thoughts as well. The concept and the world are cool...too bad it'll be a dead IP.
Yea I played co-op for about 3-4 hours there. It’s not terrible by any means but not amazing either. It generally feels unfinished but has some cool ideas that don’t feel fully realised. I like the setting too. But as you said, it will die regardless. The damage is done already. I can’t see a way back for it now.

GHG

Gold Member
Sure, you can believe that. But blaming the state of this game on 'game pass' and the 'race to the bottom' or other assorted commentary that gets brought up is not accurate. Game Pass wasn't a factor in this games state at launch. If the mission was to have stuff out quick to bolster the sub lineup, this would have come out last year.

Explain this statement then:

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

"Great content remains the flywheel behind our growth. We have now surpassed 500 million lifetime unique users across our first party titles.

And I’ve never been more excited about our pipeline of games, including the fourth quarter launches of Minecraft Legends and Redfall."

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/...en-more-excited-about-xboxs-pipeline-of-games

If it wasn't intended to be a vector for growth then what was the purpose of releasing it?

Xbox greenlit this for final release. The buck stops with them.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yea I played co-op for about 3-4 hours there. It’s not terrible by any means but not amazing either. It generally feels unfinished but has some cool ideas that don’t feel fully realised. I like the setting too. But as you said, it will die regardless. The damage is done already. I can’t see a way back for it now.
Yeah I was surprised to find myself having a good time playing coop with my son earlier today. The game has potential despite driving me crazy with hitches and stutters, it really does feel unfinished. But if No Man's Sky could be turned around it should be possible to do it with this game as well.

Lets be honest, what kind of amazing exclusives did Xbox one have? Oh absolutely none? Well whats the big surprise then?
What the fuck is this juvenile shit.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah I was surprised to find myself having a good time playing coop with my son earlier today. The game has potential despite driving me crazy with hitches and stutters, it really does feel unfinished. But if No Man's Sky could be turned around it should be possible to do it with this game as well.

The issue here is whos footing the bill, the thing about No Mans Sky is all the money essentially went to a tiny team who owned the IP and worked for themselves, they where "indie" literally because their independent. The issue here is you have someone owned by a publisher whos goal is infinite increasing profits, No Mans Sky developers where allowed to spend the millions they made on updating the game for free precisely because they had total control over their budgets, Arkane do not sadly, so I doubt we will see anything like that come to pass.

Last edited:
Just played for about an hour on the series s. Game does look like a 2013 game the graphic style they went with does it no favours. Though some things can look good.
Thought what I played so far though was quite fun.
Would be not too impressed though if I had paid 60 quid for it. Going to play with some buddies on the weekend see what that's like.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Naaah, just finish the thing and then go back making the Immersive Sims that Arcane are knowed for, Acquiring a Company and then the first thing you do is cancelling a game is... not a great thing tbh.
id be very surprised if MS’ response to this total disaster is to give them a large check to make another game in the low sales ceiling immersive sim genre. More likely they get their walking papers.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I can sort of understand now how MS got Bethesda for cheap (7.5B is low compared to some other acquisitions)

I think Bethesda knew what they had in the pipeline and it was dire. Ghostwire, Redfall, Deathloop, Hifi rush… either in bad shape, doesn’t provide anything new or is good but so niche that it won’t budge the bank account. Starfield needing more time, probably a huge money drain along TES.

I think they HAD to sell or go down. Seems more and more evident now.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The issue here is whos footing the bill, the thing about No Mans Sky is all the money essentially went to a tiny team who owned the IP and worked for themselves, they where "indie" literally because their independent. The issue here is you have someone owned by a publisher whos goal is infinite increasing profits, No Mans Sky developers where allowed to spend the millions they made on updating the game for free precisely because they had total control over their budgets, Arkane do not sadly.

It's a good point. But remember how 343 has sucked billions out of MS to be able to ruin the Halo franchise title by title. Much of the money HAS gone back to development, but it kinda went up in smoke.. This shit could've been stopped a lot of years ago. MS obviously has a leadership and studio exec issue that has to be solved urgently. Why do they seem to have a big issue with putting the screws and pressure on their studios. Just look at the recently launched Minecraft Legends, utter mediocracy stemming from another multi-billion dollar franchise, how can they keep wasting all this legacy titles money on this kind of output.

..I do have to be a bit fair though, it's not all doom and gloom, MS turned the fuck around MS Flight Simulator, and Forza Horizon is still going pretty strong..

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
How anybody made it past 10 minutes of this is beyond me. I got off the boat at the beginning(which hilariously had no textures all through it as if it was an N64 game) and got to the first group of enemies and saw 1 doing T-pose, and one with yellow question marks over his head but not moving or reacting and shut it off and uninstalled. What kind of horseshit is this? I was one of the guys in the other threads saying it's Arkane and give them a chance. I just got burned bad.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
One thing that reviewers skimmed trough is how CHEAP Redfall is in totally unexpected places. Especially for a premium game from a platform holder.

Static cutscenes not just baffling, but are pure crap. I play indie darling called Everspace 2 from time to time (basically UE4 kickstarter project) and even in ES2 there are way more motion in the morion comics cutscenes. There are other lazy ways to save some buck like unbreakable enviroments (even glass!) and pathetic stock sounds. The final nail in the coffin (sorry) was the 'movie reel' during of the missions that was executed in static slides with lifeless voiceover. I mean, c'mon, guys! Even Control on a modest (for AAA) budget managed to pull off like 40+ mins of stylish live-action FMVs for story beats and side-content.

It is okay when a small team on a tiny budget is trying to save some buck on sound or animations, but for a 1st party title from a platform-holder it is simply laughable behaviour. Microsoft could've afford a $10 mil more budget at least for VFX and asset passes simply to save some face. And I wish reviewers highlited that dichotomy from a trillion dollar publisher a bit more.

adamsapple

Explain this statement then:

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

"Great content remains the flywheel behind our growth. We have now surpassed 500 million lifetime unique users across our first party titles.

And I’ve never been more excited about our pipeline of games, including the fourth quarter launches of Minecraft Legends and Redfall."

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/...en-more-excited-about-xboxs-pipeline-of-games

If it wasn't intended to be a vector for growth then what was the purpose of releasing it?

Xbox greenlit this for final release. The buck stops with them.

Ok. But now you're pivoting from the game pass slight to something else entirely.

The point is that the game was in development before the acquisition, game pass did not dictate the shift in genre from Arkane's modus operandi.

That's all, beyond this if you're looking for someone at MS to come out and take the blame for the games state at launch, I'm gonna stand next to you.

Thirty7ven

Banned
kill-bill-you-aint-kidding.gif

That much was obvious when this is the end result after a full calendar years delay from its original projection.

There’s no way this game was in full production for 5 years. Arkane Austin was working on other shit. Looking at the amount of content the game has, and everything else really, can’t see this game being in full production for more than three years.

MikeM

Gold Member
Ok. But now you're pivoting from the game pass slight to something else entirely.

The point is that the game was in development before the acquisition, game pass did not dictate the shift in genre from Arkane's modus operandi.

That's all, beyond this if you're looking for someone at MS to come out and take the blame for the games state at launch, I'm gonna stand next to you.
Not sure what you mean in the last line, but MS is absolutely responsible for releasing this pile of hot garbage. They sign the checks, the buck stops with them.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can sort of understand now how MS got Bethesda for cheap (7.5B is low compared to some other acquisitions)

I think Bethesda knew what they had in the pipeline and it was dire. Ghostwire, Redfall, Deathloop, Hifi rush… either in bad shape, doesn’t provide anything new or is good but so niche that it won’t budge the bank account. Starfield needing more time, probably a huge money drain along TES.

I think they HAD to sell or go down. Seems more and more evident now.
Jesus Christ.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Has any game ever reached this amount of pages for its review thread?

At least it has that going for it

It’s the story isn’t it? Context is everything.

I’ve been saying the pressure being put on Starfield is not fair. Redfall is wrong game, wrong time, and ended up being the punchline to the wave of not so great news around Xbox.

RyanEvans21

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to stay on that site. Level of discusion there is worse than terrible most of the time. It's easiest fact to check. Acquisition was finalized 9 march 2021. That's literally first day MS could speak about anything development related with people in Zenimax.
They can cancel it anytime like Scalebound :messenger_winking: if they think the game is no good or delay it again to make it polish.

Pelta88

Does anyone else find this guy insanely annoying?

I don’t want to be cruel, but his voice and bizarre intonation drives me round the bend.

He also sounds like he has rabies.

Nowhere near as bad as this witch voice creep, dressing up his insanity as console war nonsense. Dude has legit lost his mind.

Top Bottom