• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on Revolution, and the demand for "community"

In the latest issue of Game Informer (#139), Reggie Fils-Aime explains that the revolution of Nintendo's next generation system will be how it handles the gaming "community." Playing across "long distances" WITHOUT resorting to an "online approach." My question to you on these boards: how exactly do you do that?

"We believe that the consumer wants more in the area of community, and we are looking at how to deliver that. We think the online approach of today is a bit flawed. We think the consumer wants a better way. And that's what we're looking to do with Revolution. What I am saying is that with our next home console we will address the area of gamer community. You said "online." I used "online" as a description of a flawed business model. We are passionate about enabling our gamers to play with their friends [and] to play with others across long distances. There are a number of different ways to execute that."

posted by gcncouncil at IGN Boards Gamecube General...

Odysseus said:
Nothing to see here. What he basically said was "it ain't happening, folks."

What he's saying is that they'll be going online with the Revolution, but they won't call it "online" so they can make it look innovative.

snapty00

Banned
There is no middle-ground here. Either the Revolution will have one of the most mind-blowing, most-innovative ways to connect consoles long distances, or it will have the biggest joke of a feature to grace the industry since Game Boy Advance connectivity.

IJoel

kids_for_top.gif

EASY, CONVENIENT, and CHEAP!

The new REVOLUTIONary approach to online gaming! The NINTENDO way!

My reading of this is the same as SolidSnakeX's.

If the focus of Revolution is on community I'd prefer Reggie to stay shtum til may. I personally like the secrets approach...

fugimax

Online gaming is a fad

It's not that it's a fad, it's just not the best experience you could have. Playing a game with someone physically there is much better than playing someone online.

Online offers a practical solution, right? It gives you access to gamers of your calibur. Unfortunately, at this point in time, that's all it does. If Nintendo goes "online", it will be with the aim of recreating the experience of someone being next to you. Until that's possible, I don't seeing them doing anything of the "online" nature.

Their belief is you're losing so much of the experience -- and I agree with them here. I think most people do. But most people are practical and say "give it to me anyways."

Nintendo is taking an idealogical stance in a practically-dominated market. Not a smart business decision necessarily, but I certainly respect them for it.

AniHawk

If Nintendo can make it free and right out of the box like the PSTwo or DC, I will fully support their efforts.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
He's referring to revolution not using the current online business model. Not the current online tech model. He didn't say the actual technology of the execution is flawed. He's saying the same thing nintendo has always said: they don't want to make people buy a game, buy more hardware to go online, then play monthly to go online with that game.

I'm thinking some sort of free service? I dunno how thet would absorb the cost... either just eat it, or somehow make it up in ads? *shrug*

Kon Tiki

Banned
Playing across "long distances" WITHOUT resorting to an "online approach." My question to you on these boards: how exactly do you do that?
Huh? At E3 he said, 'connect via the net. The 'net' being short for internet, or 'online'.

epmode

if the ds doesn't go online (as in, i can play against people more than 2 miles away,) i give up on nintendo.

snapty00

Banned
Deg said:
From coast-to-coast? I really don't think so. If everyone had something like that, the amount of interference would be terrible, especially for fast data transmission.

I guess they could setup and operate towers, but that goes right back to the problem they started with using online: cost of operation.

Timbuktu

"We believe that the consumer wants more in the area of community"

I think he may be talking about more local networks, so wireless is a possibility. It's not coast to coast, but I don't really see the difference in terms of games experiences though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Guys, reread the initial quote. He says how current companies approach online is flawed. HE SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY. He's just saying the same thing Nintendo has always said, about not believing in charging people for the service.

AniHawk

GDJustin said:
Guys, reread the initial quote. He says how current companies approach online is flawed. HE SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY. He's just saying the same thing Nintendo has always said, about not believing in charging people for the service.

I'm going to ignore you and fight with random people about this for six pages!

fugimax said:
It's not that it's a fad, it's just not the best experience you could have. Playing a game with someone physically there is much better than playing someone online.

Online offers a practical solution, right? It gives you access to gamers of your calibur. Unfortunately, at this point in time, that's all it does. If Nintendo goes "online", it will be with the aim of recreating the experience of someone being next to you. Until that's possible, I don't seeing them doing anything of the "online" nature. .

uhh, not really.. i'd prefer to play online for FPS and many sports games than with someone next to me... football with the person next to you in a chore having to hide your plays, and split screen FPS is nowhere near as nice as full screen.

Alcibiades

I think it starts with the DS and picto chat...

someone I know just pre-ordered the thing (paid $150 + tax), and I know its going to be fun to carry those around campus (and the student center) and see if anybody else is around to exchange senseless messages with...

The DS is that start of that I think, I don't know about Revolution and right now Nintendo's not making much sense because they haven't really been forthcoming, but it's better to hold you cards to your sleeve than show them off right now...

Yeah but actually talking to the person you're playing with in person, perhaps calling them an asshole every now and then, and later bitching about how crap they played in front of people they actually know is good sometimes. And games like Donkey Konga wouldn't be the same if you couldn't see someones facial expressions as they strain to *pan pan* their way to glory, only to find misery for one, hilarity for all.

Lionheart

Kinda off-topic here, but what I don't get is this about Nintendo's stance on online gaming:

Why the hell won't Nintendo go online on GameCube, they say one of their reasons is that not nearly enough people have broadband connections, but they will, according to recent reports, go online with DS sooner or later which uses WiFi... So to play DS online at home, I don't just need a broadband connection, but I also need a wireless access point...

Also: what is so flawed about the online approach of the big amount of PC / PS2 developers who just want to please the buyers of their games with an extra free online gameplay mode? Most online games are still free today and I don't have any problem with the fact that there isn't a real central server for all of those games.

Alcibiades

Lionheart said:
Kinda off-topic here, but what I don't get is this about Nintendo's stance on online gaming:

Why the hell won't Nintendo go online on GameCube, they say one of their reasons is that not nearly enough people have broadband connections, but they will, according to recent reports, go online with DS sooner or later which uses WiFi... So to play DS online at home, I don't just need a broadband connection, but I also need a wireless access point...

Also: what is so flawed about the online approach of the big amount of PC / PS2 developers who just want to please the buyers of their games with an extra free online gameplay mode? Most online games are still free today and I don't have any problem with the fact that there isn't a real central server for all of those games.
I'm not so sure they expect DS games to be going online in large numbers...

the primary wireless they are pushing is playing against others around you...

Plus, isn't there easier access to wireless spots at establishments, unlike places that offer internet connections, you can't bring you XBox and LIVE and hook it up at some library or cafe, while I'm guessin with the wireless spots you could do that with DS...

you're comparing apples and oranges, because "going online" is a simplified way of saying, "why doesn't Nintendo buy servers, maintain them, would they charge a fee, would games have lag, would their games have modem/broadband support, or just broadband, would some have broadband cause they are faster games, alienating families that have phoneline access, would families even care, so they'll just do broadband, what sorts of features would they have, would they maintain servers for 3rd parties, or just their games, how long would the servers be active, would it be free, etc..."

"going online" is more complicated than most people put it...

Microsoft and Sony have had limited success so far in spite of fantastic games like Pandora Tomorrow because the issue is really more complicated than simply "switching from cartridges to CD's" or "adding rumble features". Online gameplay is a whole other level, Nintendo probably wants to plan out their entry carefullly and years in advance to prevent too many upfront losses....

ManaByte

Gold Member
fugimax said:

Online offers a practical solution, right? It gives you access to gamers of your calibur. Unfortunately, at this point in time, that's all it does. If Nintendo goes "online", it will be with the aim of recreating the experience of someone being next to you. Until that's possible, I don't seeing them doing anything of the "online" nature.

Look, no offense, but you really have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the current state of online console gaming.

I have good friends who live 600 miles away. Now I can't pack up my console and drive to them whenever I want to play a multiplayer game since it's a eight hour drive. But, with Xbox Live or PS2 Online games that support the headset, I can turn on my console and talk with them in real time as if they are sitting right there. Real-time voice chat in online console gaming is the best thing to happen to multiplayer games in a long, long time.

If Nintendo doesn't grow a fucking brain and look at what Sony and Microsoft is doing with online, they will be forever cursed to a niche market.

fugimax

Look, no offense, but you really have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the current state of online console gaming.

Uh..ok.

I have good friends who live 600 miles away. Now I can't pack up my console and drive to them whenever I want to play a multiplayer game since it's a eight hour drive. But, with Xbox Live or PS2 Online games that support the headset, I can turn on my console and talk with them in real time as if they are sitting right there. Real-time voice chat in online console gaming is the best thing to happen to multiplayer games in a long, long time.

Re-read my post. I never said online game was a *bad* thing. In fact, I said it was quite practical.

And you've proven my point by what you said above. Online gaming is a substitute for what you'd rather be doing (having your friend come over). But like you said, this isn't possible.

The point I was making above was that online gaming is a practical solution that has problems of its own -- just like "in-person" gaming has it's problems (aka, your friend being 8 hours away). Further, I was saying that Nintendo's stance on all of this is that until they can provide people with an experience on-par with that of a friend coming over to play games, they won't be doing it.

If Nintendo doesn't grow a fucking brain and look at what Sony and Microsoft is doing with online, they will be forever cursed to a niche market.

Funny...last I checked, a shitload of people owned PS2's....and it's certainly *not* for online gaming. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with a niche market as long as you can be profitable in it -- and Nintendo is exactly that.

unkasa

Banned
Sounds like gimmicky crap along the lines of "connectivity." Nintendo needs to shore up their eroding fanbase before they look towards introducing yet another dismissable ploy to appear different. It won't be much of a revolution if everyone's jumped ship to its more attractive competitors.

fugimax

uhh, not really.. i'd prefer to play online for FPS and many sports games than with someone next to me... football with the person next to you in a chore having to hide your plays, and split screen FPS is nowhere near as nice as full screen.

So let me get this straight..

Suppose I have a LAN party with 50 people coming...PCs provided. You'd rather play at an isolated PC with people online versus a room of 50 people all playing together?

Now, I'm not saying this is practical, but it certainly isn't out of the question. I used to have 2-3 person "lan parties" where we'd join the same team and play online against others...way more fun than using Roger Wilco or some other VoIP shit.

Second, your football example is kind of moot if developers would use what's given to them. Dreamcast had the VMU..you could easily select plays using that LCD screen. And gamecube has GBA...which would work perfect for this exact thing.

Nintendo is stressing gaming in-person. It's just plain more fun. Ya, it might be a hassle to get together sometimes, but when you do, there is no question that it's more fun than online gaming.

Now, Nintendo's point is this...let's make "online gaming" like in-person gaming. Currently, that just hasn't happened. Once it does, I think Nintendo will be all over it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
fugimax said:
Re-read my post. I never said online game was a *bad* thing. In fact, I said it was quite practical.

And you've proven my point by what you said above. Online gaming is a substitute for what you'd rather be doing (having your friend come over). But like you said, this isn't possible.

The point I was making above was that online gaming is a practical solution that has problems of its own -- just like "in-person" gaming has it's problems (aka, your friend being 8 hours away). Further, I was saying that Nintendo's stance on all of this is that until they can provide people with an experience on-par with that of a friend coming over to play games, they won't be doing it.

So Nintendo is going to invent the Star Trek Transporter?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He's saying they're going to ape Xbox Live, but with a wacky treehouse as the main hub, and mushrooms that tell you where OptiMatch is.

unkasa

Banned
fugimax said:
So let me get this straight..

Suppose I have a LAN party with 50 people coming...PCs provided. You'd rather play at an isolated PC with people online versus a room of 50 people all playing together?

Now, I'm not saying this is practical, but it certainly isn't out of the question. I used to have 2-3 person "lan parties" where we'd join the same team and play online against others...way more fun than using Roger Wilco or some other VoIP shit.

Second, your football example is kind of moot if developers would use what's given to them. Dreamcast had the VMU..you could easily select plays using that LCD screen. And gamecube has GBA...which would work perfect for this exact thing.

Nintendo is stressing gaming in-person. It's just plain more fun. Ya, it might be a hassle to get together sometimes, but when you do, there is no question that it's more fun than online gaming.

Now, Nintendo's point is this...let's make "online gaming" like in-person gaming. Currently, that just hasn't happened. Once it does, I think Nintendo will be all over it.

I don't know, perhaps I'm anti-social. I rather like being able to sit down before my xbox, dressed in nothing more than a dingy t-shirt and boxers, with a headseat, some cigs, and a cup of coffee. I like the comfy privacy of online gaming.

Alcibiades

ManaByte said:

no offense, but most for most people broadband + set up + price is just way too much...

Nintendo does have a brain, and when they see billions of dollars in losses, their profitable niche market just sounds much better so they can continue to create their games...

fugimax

So Nintendo is going to invent the Star Trek Transporter?

No, but they certainly won't follow the traditional (shitty formula):

1. Assign awesome nickname (e.g. DRDooMaR241)
2. Throw player into random room filled with other cool-named people
3. Provide a list of random games.
4. ???
5. Profit!!

With Nintendo's Wireless protocols at a home station. This Revolution, could be just that. With the DS Wireless connections you can link up to 30 meters away indoors. Now the DS is very small and depends on a battery; the revolution is connected to a power outlet. There is also talk of a piggyback system with the DS, that means as long as there is a DS near by it can continue the chain across large distances. Nintendo’s motto is “We do things the Nintendo way” The technology is there, you may not be able to play people across the world but, playing everyone in your city is very possible. With the way Reggie-lution chose his words this seems feasible. Also with the amount of research in Connectivity that Nintendo has spent and there clams between the DS and the Revolution. I feel they will be very similar.

Che

Banned
AniHawk said:
I'm going to ignore you and fight with random people about this for six pages!

:lol:lol:lol

Anyway either what GDJustin says or some kind of wireless connectivity.

I wil never pay money for online gaming. Nintendo "Live" isn't the answer.

In fact I dont even care about Nintendo going online. I just want more in depth single player adventure games from them.

Top Bottom