• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

So in the US, you can vote to hand power over to foreign leaders? I guess it really is the land of the free.

But seriously, this is ridiculous at every level. If this was all known, how did no one elevate it or bring it to anyone's attention? If it's true, who has the power to do anything about it? Even impeachment leaves the Trump campaign in power, right?

rokkerkory

(CNN)CNN's decision to publish carefully sourced reporting about the operations of our government is vastly different than Buzzfeed's decision to publish unsubstantiated memos. The Trump team knows this. They are using Buzzfeed's decision to deflect from CNN's reporting, which has been matched by the other major news organizations.

We are fully confident in our reporting. It represents the core of what the First Amendment protects, informing the people of the inner workings of their government; in this case, briefing materials prepared for President Obama and President-elect Trump last week.
We made it clear that we were not publishing any of the details of the 35-page document because we have not corroborated the report's allegations. Given that members of the Trump transition team have so vocally criticized our reporting, we encourage them to identify, specifically, what they believe to be inaccurate.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politics/cnn-statement-trump-buzzfeed/index.html

Holy shit guys I have news

ha0xK9P.png

Bolivar687

Banned
"NEW: The law firm representing Trump during today's news conference won Russia Law Firm of the Year award in 2016. @NBCNews"
https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/819243344429772801

I saw this earlier and did not want to comment but now that many people reacted I'll just clarify that this could not be a more tenuous link. Morgan Lewis is not a couple of guys who personally work on every case. They are one of the largest law firms in the world with thousands of attorneys across dozens of countries.

This is the equivalent of McDonald's winning Russian Fast Food Chain of the Year and saying theres a connection because Trump also eats there.

They're just 4chan/the_donald trolls shitposting and trying to confuse people

They're doing it on Reddit/Twitter too

Sorry if I came off as a Donald supporter, this whole situation has been very confusing for people like myself who are just discovering this trying to comprehend what the hell is happening.

I saw this earlier and did not want to comment but now that many people reacted I'll just clarify that this could not be a more tenuous link. Morgan Lewis is not a couple of guys who personally work on every case. They are one of the largest law firms in the country with thousands of attorneys across dozens of countries.

This is the equivalent of McDonald's winning Russian Fast Food Chain of the Year and saying theres a connection because Trump also eats there.
Good point. Its still hilarious though.

ZOONAMI

I saw this earlier and did not want to comment but now that many people reacted I'll just clarify that this could not be a more tenuous link. Morgan Lewis is not a couple of guys who personally work on every case. They are one of the largest law firms in the country with thousands of attorneys across dozens of countries.

Most people are just commenting on it because it is a funny coincidence, but yeah probably a few who think there is a real connection that matters.

That's what you get with a story based exclusively on incendiary, unverified reports.

If people were just questioning it that's one thing, everyone should be doing that right now. But hopping in the thread to post "wow can't believe 4chan trolled the CIA lulz!" is a bit of a departure from "these reports aren't verified, I don't believe it."

L Thammy

ya my first instinct when stuff like this comes out is to trust nerds

As opposed to trusting the OP of a thread on a gaming forum?

I mean, the 4chan thing is bull, but this situation is admittedly a lot to take in. I can't blame people for needing someone to explain it to them. Although I don't trust 4chan or Facebook to do that job.

I mean, the 4chan thing is bull, but this situation is admittedly a lot to take in. I can't blame people for needing someone to explain it to them.

I only get my politics news from Dualshockers

literally takes like ten seconds to get to the Buzzfeed and CNN articles

Audioboxer

I saw this earlier and did not want to comment but now that many people reacted I'll just clarify that this could not be a more tenuous link. Morgan Lewis is not a couple of guys who personally work on every case. They are one of the largest law firms in the world with thousands of attorneys across dozens of countries.

It's incredibly frustrating given there is obviously things to actually investigate. A global law firm is not one of those things when nothing points to them. The internet as always takes something like this and it'll be retweeted 25k times with ":O" emoji.

chadskin

The WSJ has identified the *former* British MI6 agent:
A former British intelligence officer now working for a private security-and-investigations firm produced the dossier of unverified allegations about President-elect Donald Trump's activities and connections in Russia, people familiar with the matter say.

Christopher Steele, a director of London-based Orbis Business Intelligence Ltd., prepared the dossier, the people said. The document alleges that the Kremlin colluded with Mr. Trump's presidential campaign and claims that Russian officials have compromising evidence of Mr. Trump's behavior that could be used to blackmail him. Mr. Trump has dismissed the contents of the dossier as false and Russia has denied the claims.

Mr. Steele, 52 years old, is one of two directors of the firm, along with Christopher Burrows, 58.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/christo...-to-have-prepared-dossier-on-trump-1484162553

Most people are just commenting on it because it is a funny coincidence, but yeah probably a few who think there is a real connection that matters.

The story is Trump's legal team(the Russian awardees) don't know what the fuck they're talking about according to Constitutional Lawyers.

ultron87

/pol/ just trolled the CIA huh?

It's really been a year of happenings for them.

Edit: I apologize, this urinegate thing is confusing me.

I'm sorry, it's just that see a bunch of top story headlines claiming that when I search 4chan.

Sorry if I came off as a Donald supporter, this whole situation has been very confusing for people like myself who are just discovering this trying to comprehend what the hell is happening.

This is right out of the disinformation spreading playbook we've seen since Gamergate.

Person comes into thread, "hey, I heard *untruth* that's crazy!"

If pointed out wrongly, "Oh, well I just saw it when I was doing a search on this topic. I don't actually know anything about it so I was looking it up."

If you're actually an innocent bystander, hey sorry, but it's identical to a routine that's been seen so many times.

GTI Guy

Where's Anonymous in all this? Surely they should be able to get the goods. I'm not impressed.

Please don't hack me if you are reading this

Oersted

I mean, the 4chan thing is bull, but this situation is admittedly a lot to take in. I can't blame people for needing someone to explain it to them. Although I don't trust 4chan or Facebook to do that job.

First word of the OP. OP is not the source. If you manage to miss this you ain't even worth ridicule.

Opto

Banned
Being an anonymous source on the internet with 0 credibility, I want to personally claim I trolled all branches of government, every intelligence community by creating a fake document and sending it to news sites.

paskowitz

that is such crap. ask yourself why nobody else did it. hundreds of journalists from all corners of the globe and nobody would put that out because they couldn't verify it (not for the lack of trying). They're job isn't to just dump everything they're handed.

also the irony of this coming from a gawker site are just too much.

Yeah, I stopped at Gawker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom