• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I went through a wave of emotions following this thread this morning - sources claiming they had video/audio evidence, then it was "debunked", then it was possible again, then it was "debunked" again.

Is it back to being a possibility?

Temper your expectations no matter what. Until he is in court and found guilty, you need to assume the worst but hope for the best. Assume he is still becoming president and lasting 4, if not 8 years but hope for the best, regardless.

Do not disappoint yourself.

RinsFury

Wow, Jeb was behind it all along, what a twist. He's still a repUGHlican but my estimation of him just rose a little bit. Him and McCain seem like the only two decent people in that party of hate.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I went through a wave of emotions following this thread this morning - sources claiming they had video/audio evidence, then it was "debunked", then it was possible again, then it was "debunked" again.

Dont get confused by misinformation, nothing has been debunked.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Went onto Facebook news comments (Sky News specifically).

Anyone who thinks this will make a difference to his support base... Lol.

It won't chances are it will divide us a little bit more. Still preventing total chaos when he is president. His supporters will denounce all CNN articles and the next outlet so and so fourth.

Please let this be Mattis finally having had enough and bailing on this epic clusterfuck of an incoming administration (and hopefully short-lived one at that).

He's one of the few Trump appointments that is both qualified and is ostensibly a decent human being. I'd rather he stay in the administration.

Jeremy

My feed is the same way. In fact, it's overwhelmingly more about 4chan fan fic/Trump "calling out" CNN than anything being discussed here. I've seen some people saying the 4channer is currently verifying himself as the writer of the report so that Trump can sue Buzzfeed and CNN and bankrupt them in a fashion similar to Gawker.

Kinyou

I can't get over the elected president of the US typing in all capslock on twitter "I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA"

we live in very strange times....

faisal233

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=C577DA7D-05C8-4D91-95BA-E4FEA01E0FAE

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement on recent news reports:

“Late last year, I received sensitive information that has since been made public. Upon examination of the contents, and unable to make a judgment about their accuracy, I delivered the information to the Director of the FBI. That has been the extent of my contact with the FBI or any other government agency regarding this issue.”

I don't think anyone thinks that anymore. But they will have to accept the consequences if this turns out to be true. (Treason, impeachment, whatever happens to their beloved leader)

pestul

I know this thread is flying, but damn people.. you're posting the same stuff that we were talking about 6-7 hours ago.

Zereta

Yeah wtf is going on now?

Buckle up:

Jeb campaign hired a former British spy to get info on Trump but too late. Some rich Dem picked up the tab during the general. The British guy used connections in Russia to find out that Trump may have been involved in hacking the Dems and working with Russia in secret and also that he likes pee parties. British guy hands over research to FBI but they are distracted by Hillary emails. He gives it to journalists but they have trouble confirming his findings and few report about it. After Trump gets elected, McCain finds out, gets the intelligence community to start investigating, they find it credible enough to inform Obama and Trump. BuzzFeed gets the doc and drops it online, Internet goes nuts. Some info is wrong but many sources behind the scenes vouch for other parts and claim there is video evidence. WSJ doxes the British guy.

Basically, we know who crafted the dossier (a well known British Intelligence agent who now works in the private industry) and BBC reporter is saying that they have more than one source on this.

Articles have come out telling us why this is a big deal and why there is probably something to this whole thing

And to cap it all off: the investigation was initiated by a SuperPAC supporting Jeb Bush.

The short version: This is gaining traction, has credibility, and many people are working hard on this story to find out more. Did Buzzfeed make a mistake posting the entire dossier? Maybe. But what that has meant is that all of this is out in the open, and everyone's pushing to get this figured out before its too late.

zethren

Banned

The beautiful thing here is that it doesn't matter at all what his supporters and base think. It doesn't matter.

If this is all true, and he is found guilty, they don't change one thing. Except at that time we'll know that they supported a trailer to the US.

VesperZ

Neo Member
I don't think anyone thinks that anymore. But they will have to accept the consequences if this turns out to be true. (Treason, impeachment, whatever happens to their beloved leader)

In the extremely unlikely scenario this prevents a Trump presidency, maybe these idiots will never vote again because "the system" doesn't allow them to be heard. Man that would be beautiful.

This might be fucked up but Trump getting the death sentence would be some next level proof of god/karma stuff.

At this point if god want's to show he's real he'll just reach down from the clouds on the 20th and pick up Trump from the inauguration ceremony

He'll look like this:
God-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-591560_800_441.jpg

Everyone needs to realize that "unverified" does not mean "debunked" or "fake". There is enough there for it to be brought to the attention of the president.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Did Trump actually call the intelligence community Nazi's in his presser?
They asked him what he meant with nazi germany in his tweet when he was talking about the intelligence community, he went in to rant about how disgraceful they were, and called cnn fake news and told a cnn reporter that cnn was fake news, and to be quiet.

Jeb! taking down Trump would be the ultimate underdog story.
I can't even say I'd be surprised by this twist. At this point I'm just trying to laugh at everything. We entered "reality is stranger than fiction" territory the instant Trump entered the race and have only gotten deeper since, so nothing should be truly shocking anymore.
Wow, that was an extremely elaborate way to take down the Shrina building.

Guy.brush

unless the video has him decapitating a stripper who is dressed as jesus, drinking the blood from her severed neck, and saying, "death to america," the GOP will do absolutely nothing about it, and they hold all of the cards.

Nah. It would suffice if you would see him snorting coke or being intoxinated during the act, or maybe some foul/racist language about the Obamas and the bed. Or mysogynistic stuff.
A video is way more powerful than an audio tape.
Even the GOP would act then, as it would be absolutely destroying what is left of the honor of the office of the president.

The real power of something like this is the blackmail power over the guy mortified of it leaking though, which starts an endless cycle of getting that guy more and more obidient and thus more fearful of being exposed. Trump himself would do everything to avoid having something like this come out, including changing GOP stance on Ukraine, getting a Putin friend as SecState and shitting on the FSB's rivals even if that means going against his own intelligence apparatus in favor of another country.

Crucially, nothing has been proved or put forward as evidence.

I honestly do not understand the snowball effect this has had. The FBI has had this information since the summer.

I'm gonna say it's because the general election is over. Obama didn't want to touch it out of concerns for seeming like he was trying to sway the election; Comey didn't want to touch it because he was busy trying to bury Hillary; and the American public wouldn't bother with it because it would be played off as "Hillary trying to deflect attention away from EMAILS".

But now that Republicans are in full control of the government and Hillary is out of the picture, people can actually focus on the ramifications of this story rather than imagining its some kind of curve ball in their partisan baseball game.

The short version: This is gaining traction, has credibility, and many people are working hard on this story to find out more. Did Buzzfeed make a mistake posting the entire dossier? Maybe. But what that has meant is that all of this is out in the open, and everyone's pushing to get this figured out before its too late.

Eh, it's already too late. Sure, it's possible Trump will be impeached and removed from office, but then Pence takes over (assuming he had no involvement, or at least plausible deniability). Pence may be more sane than Trump, but his policies are bad too.

Hillary needed this evidence to be confirmed for her October surprise that would have relegated "OMG, more emails" to the back pages. Now it is of marginal benefit.

Majukun

nothing is gonna stop trump at this point, let alone something that still has to be proved... guy basically confessed sexual assault and still got elected, he is untouchable

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So far, it appears there are two pretty solid issues with the report

A) Cohen appears to have never went to Prague

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...is-fake-news-meant-to-malign-mr-trump/512762/

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/819187673961287681

B) The head of Jeb!'s Super PAC is saying that they never heard of this guy

https://twitter.com/murphymike/status/819274352835383302

and, as one of Jeb!'s staffers points out, if they had ever gotten any of this info, it would have all been used immediately

https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/819275671142879243

From the press conference, Trump didn't actually answer the question about whether his campaign had contact with the Russians during the election though, and tried to conflate the CNN and Buzzfeed reports as the same thing, even though they are different (CNN's report was that Obama and Trump were presented with a two page summary, Buzzfeed published the memos that generated the two page summary. To make this more confusing, NBC is reporting that Trump was never actually told about the summary, which goes against what CNN is saying partially).

Basically, this is all sort of sketchy, and Trump is trying to use the sketchiness to try to confuse people.

NBC article: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...jects-dossier-alleged-russia-dealings-n705586

EDIT: In related news, the hearings for his cabinet members goes through today, including Tillerson, except with this out, no one seems to particularly care. :/

I'm gonna say it's because the general election is over. Obama didn't want to touch it out of concerns for seeming like he was trying to sway the election; Comey didn't want to touch it because he was busy trying to bury Hillary; and the American public wouldn't bother with it because it would be played off as "Hillary trying to deflect attention away from EMAILS".

But now that Republicans are in full control of the government and Hillary is out of the picture, people can actually focus on the ramifications of this story rather than imagining its some kind of curve ball in their partisan baseball game.
Plot twist: republicans knew all along, used him to get to power, will drop him now. I mean we are living in a Tom Clancy novel now so anything goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom