• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
They asked him what he meant with nazi germany in his tweet when he was talking about the intelligence community, he went in to rant about how disgraceful they were, and called cnn fake news and told a cnn reporter that cnn was fake news, and to be quiet.

Holy Fuck. Just a pure fascist, through and through. He legit repulses me.

Knoxcore

Did Trump actually call the intelligence community Nazi's in his presser?

They asked him what he meant with nazi germany in his tweet when he was talking about the intelligence community, he went in to rant about how disgraceful they were, and called cnn fake news and told a cnn reporter that cnn was fake news, and to be quiet.

It's what he does. When he is guilty of a particular behavior he accuses his enemies of said behavior. Trump is entering the White House with the cheers of racist Americans. It's not hard to make direct comparisons from Trump to Nazism.

kess

A former DoD Special Council shared this on Twitter regarding Trump's disavowal of Carter Page

C16RRJfVQAAGkQf.jpg

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Buckle up:

Basically, we know who crafted the dossier (a well known British Intelligence agent who now works in the private industry) and BBC reporter is saying that they have more than one source on this.

Articles have come out telling us why this is a big deal and why there is probably something to this whole thing

And to cap it all off: the investigation was initiated by a SuperPAC supporting Jeb Bush.

The short version: This is gaining traction, has credibility, and many people are working hard on this story to find out more. Did Buzzfeed make a mistake posting the entire dossier? Maybe. But what that has meant is that all of this is out in the open, and everyone's pushing to get this figured out before its too late.

thank you

So far, it appears there are two pretty solid issues with the report

A) Cohen appears to have never went to Prague

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...is-fake-news-meant-to-malign-mr-trump/512762/

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/819187673961287681

I've brought this up a couple times already, but this is less of a big deal than people are trying to make it out to be. The Trump camp is especially trying to use this point to discredit the entire report when the report itself actually mentions that this part was sketchy and unverified.

petghost

Banned
It's what he does. When he is guilty of a particular behavior he accuses his enemies of said behavior. Trump is entering the White House with the cheers of racist Americans. It's not hard to make direct comparisons from Trump to Nazism.

Tbf everyone conflates absolutely everyone with whom they strongly disagree as Nazis

Henkka

Banned
and, as one of Jeb!'s staffers points out, if they had ever gotten any of this info, it would have all been used immediately

https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/819275671142879243

Really, without any proof?

"I have it on good authority that Putin has Trump's sex tapes, and is using them to blackmail him!"

Imagine if he said that in a debate. It would only hurt him. But the fact that Jeb! staffers are saying they never heard of this guy is pretty suspicious, yeah

Nafai1123

Banned
I don't get why many media outlets are jumping to the conclusion that Cohen did not have a meeting in Prague, when he openly admits he was in Italy in July. All that could imply is the dates in the report are incorrect. You do not need a passport to go from Italy to Prague.

Jeb! is the final boss? The Man behind the Curtain? Beautiful.

But really, in the next 4 years we will have plenty of time for Drumpf's taxes to surface, maybe that is the thing to bring him down, and even then his lemmings won't care.

Zereta

Eh, it's already too late. Sure, it's possible Trump will be impeached and removed from office, but then Pence takes over (assuming he had no involvement, or at least plausible deniability). Pence may be more sane than Trump, but his policies are bad too.

Hillary needed this evidence to be confirmed for her October surprise that would have relegated "OMG, more emails" to the back pages. Now it is of marginal benefit.

It is hard to tell what the effects of all of this, if true, will be on the Republican Party as a whole.

This is all completely unprecedented. If true, and the Trump Presidency is toppled, the lasting effects on the Republican Party and American Politics (that something like this even happened is ridiculous) is hard to tell. Probably not good, though.

Bolivar687

Banned
The smoke will not vanish until this is decided one way or another.

Investigations are happening.

I also think Trump will have to buckle to demands to release his tax returns and other financial information, regardless of what he said today. This is the only thing that can exonerate him.

Vixdean

It's crazy that there's a tape in a Russian archive right now that could topple the highest office in our government.

Well, the piss tape itself wouldn't do much except embarrass Trump an ensure he loses in 2020. Now, if it's revealed that knew of the existence of the tape or other potentially compromising information in Russia's possession, yet ran anyway, then it's a big deal.

RDreamer

So far, it appears there are two pretty solid issues with the report

A) Cohen appears to have never went to Prague

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...is-fake-news-meant-to-malign-mr-trump/512762/

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/819187673961287681

The document itself states that this part has low credibility. The fact that there was a Michael Cohen (with the same birthday) in Prague at the time actually makes the document more credible in my eyes rather than less.

zethren

Banned
I also think Trump will have to buckle to demands to release his tax returns and other financial information, regardless of what he said today. This is the only thing that can exonerate him.

Agreed, unless there is incriminating evidence in his tax returns. There's almost no other reason why he wouldn't release them.

jstripes

Banned
B) The head of Jeb!'s Super PAC is saying that they never heard of this guy

https://twitter.com/murphymike/status/819274352835383302

and, as one of Jeb!'s staffers points out, if they had ever gotten any of this info, it would have all been used immediately

Regarding Jeb's SuperPAC, of course they didn't get these documents. The dates on them are from after the primaries.

Someone on Jeb's team could have initiated the request for intelligence, but it never got done in time. The private security firm could have shopped it to the Democrats after that.

Henkka

Banned
The document itself states that this part has low credibility. The fact that there was a Michael Cohen (with the same birthday) in Prague at the time actually makes the document more credible in my eyes rather than less.

Yeah, it looks like someone actually investigated this stuff and made a human error in doing so. They didn't just sit down and make stuff up.

I doubt he itemized "payments to Russian spies" in some form on his tax return.

How did that happen?

This is something that has been weighing on my mind: if he does release his tax returns, how can we trust that they are real? How can we trust they are even honest? Trump is a con artist and a schemer. Can we really assume that all his foreign dealings and shady payments are declared on something as innocuous as a tax return?

Part of me hopes this is snowball about to turn into an iceberg that will change our fucked up election process forever and stop that walking chia pet from ever stepping into the White House.

The other part of me is thinking this might become the most entertaining four years of our lives. I wonder how I'm going to get Trump to sign a golden shower head without setting off a metal detector.

Makonero

I've brought this up a couple times already, but this is less of a big deal than people are trying to make it out to be. The Trump camp is especially trying to use this point to discredit the entire report when the report itself actually mentions that this part was sketchy and unverified.

Not to mention, there is proof that someone named Michael Cohen was in Prague, suggesting that while Trump's lawyer isn't implicated, there is truth to the claim. Which lends more credibility to the rest of the report in that there's some basis in fact for all of it, even if it's not 100% accurate.

It is hard to tell what the effects of all of this, if true, will be on the Republican Party as a whole.

This is all completely unprecedented. If true, and the Trump Presidency is toppled, the lasting effects on the Republican Party and American Politics (that something like this even happened is ridiculous) is hard to tell. Probably not good, though.

Sure, it could have a big effect on the midterms, but those aren't for another 2 years. My point was that they already blew their window. If this had come out with hard evidence before Election Day, Trump wouldn't be in office. No matter what happens now, there's a Republican sitting as POTUS for the next 4 years.

mo60

If this story is true I can see the republican party out of the WH for a decade or two at least. It may also hurt them in congress significantly.

So Trump - attacks the federal intelligence agencies who compiled all this information, attacks the news messengers, and threatens to violate a reporter's 1st amendment rights.

While also refusing to transfer his businesses to a blind trust.

He also shit all over Mexico again and happily awaits Obamacare's implosion.

Great start to the next Presidency!

Zereta

Regarding Jeb's SuperPAC, of course they didn't get these documents. The dates on them are from after the primaries.

Someone on Jeb's team could have initiated the request for intelligence, but it never got done in time. The private security firm could have shopped it to the Democrats after that.

At this point, whoever continued funding the investigation on the Democrats side being revealed would be ace.

This will not be solved before the Inauguration. However, a Trump presidency will also not be able to bury this the moment he's president.

I expect over the next couple of days, more and more names and information will trickle out. MI6 guy's name is out. More concrete, tangible elements surrounding this investigation being revealed will lend more credibility out there.

What's important is keeping this story in the news cycle. Eventually, the information will come out if this is true at all.

Reeks

Sarah Palin.

McCain fed the monster that gave us Trump when it was expedient. She paved the way for the Donald.

The only thing that can redeem him is a blood sacrifice to the beast to save us all.

I won't hold my breath.

Easy. Dude is a war hero, was beaten and tortured for an extended period of time in North Vietnam.

Many people fed that monster of which you speak. At least he actually brought the dossier to Comey.

TyrantII

Tbf everyone only fucking idiots conflates absolutely everyone with whom they strongly disagree as Nazis

FTFY. People that go to Ad Nazism show their stupidity and lack of temperament. They don't have an argument, so it's just a thin appeal to make a link to the worst thing Evah.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Pretty much. That was the danger in releasing the memos even though they were singly sourced and contained errors - if they didn't have it all locked down, and any of the main points were wrong, this could turn into a nation level shitshow.

Really, without any proof?

"I have it on good authority that Putin has Trump's sex tapes, and is using them to blackmail him!"

Imagine if he said that in a debate. It would only hurt him. But the fact that Jeb! staffers are saying they never heard of this guy is pretty suspicious, yeah

Nah - I remember the 2000 GOP primaries; the GOP is willing to fight super dirty if need be, especially Bushes (ask McCain). It would have leaked and been used in ads everywhere.

As for why a healthy amount of skepticism might be a good idea - I'll point out a quote from the Atlantic and the danger of attaching too much to the idea that "because Trump and Obama were briefed on it, it must be legit"

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/01/trump-dossier-intelligence/512792/

4) The obvious unknown: Is the embarrassing information about Mr. Trump true?

CNN reports that, in the time since the former MI6 operative approached the FBI over the summer, ”US intelligence agencies have now checked out [him] and his vast network throughout Europe and find him and his sources to be credible enough" to warrant briefing the president and president-elect on his findings. Many of Tuesday's reports, in other words, depend on the credibility of one anonymous source and what he told the intelligence community. The cautionary tale there is that ”Curveball," an Iraqi defector the U.S. relied on to build its case about WMD in Iraq, was also thought to be credible—until many of his claims proved false. And, as Buzzfeed notes, the full document contains errors of spelling and fact.

The fact that the intelligence officials thought the allegations serious enough to bring to the attention of the president and the president-elect is something we need to give serious weight to. But there's also an unprecedented element in this story, which concerns claims about politicization of intelligence. What intelligence officials don't want to have is for news to leak before the president or president-elect sees it directly—they want Obama and Trump to hear it from them first. Then the problem is, once that's happened and the news leaks anyway, it seems to have more credibility precisely because it was brought to such high-level attention.

Basically, I'm just in the "wait for more details" mode, especially as NYTimes / Atlantic / WaPo do some more digging.

If this story is true I can see the republican party out of the WH for a decade or two at least. It may also hurt them in congress significantly.

Trump voters do not care about anything. All of this could be true, every word of it, but it doesn't matter because "Hillary was worse."

Our only hope is to get actual, normal, people interested in politics. Or, at the very least, to stand and be counted and go vote.

Trump's approval ratings are already at record lows for an incoming president and this basically guarantees that is first six months won't be smooth at all. And if this stuff is true then Trump is going to be shook for a good long while that something will come out.

I'm sure it will be a successful presidency lol

rambis

Banned
I can't get over the elected president of the US typing in all capslock on twitter "I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA"

we live in very strange times....

Its even odder because he, no matter what scandal actually may exist, does have ties. He's literally on record saying Putin follows everything he does.

I will say that if the US government had the goods to bring Trump down, they probably wouldn't do it all in one day. It could cause mass riots and disorder. They might sew the seeds a bit early, a run-up if you will.

The timing of this might be: release report on Russian interference, release unverified report on Trump involvement, then connect the dots with hard evidence. Might see the tape around then, too. I wish I could read Obama's mind.

Just a theory.

jstripes

Banned
At this point, whoever continued funding the investigation on the Democrats side being revealed would be ace.

This will not be solved before the Inauguration. However, a Trump presidency will also not be able to bury this the moment he's president.

I expect over the next couple of days, more and more names and information will trickle out. MI6 guy's name is out. More concrete, tangible elements surrounding this investigation being revealed will lend more credibility out there.

What's important is keeping this story in the news cycle. Eventually, the information will come out if this is true at all.

You know he's gonna try. He's already threatened the intelligence community, and going after him is basically self-preservation for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom