• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duplolas

Banned
Whether we like it or not Trump won the election and was voted in fair and square. The election isn't being rerun

But people were manipulated into believing lies by a man who was compromised by Russian officials.

They took illegal steps to try to win the election and slow down the Dems.

So how is that "fair and square"

TCKaos

So I know you guys are dealing with it on every page, but what's the best debunk for suggesting that this was an elaborate ruse by /pol/? My 50ish year old mother just linked me to a story written by a Mr."Tyler Durden" claiming that it was all a hoax using out of context screenshots of various /pol/ threads.

Conservatives/Republicans created what is now known as the information bubble in America. The news companies in the mainstream media sought to copy Fox's formula when they saw how good for business it was to put a vapid political spin on news being reported and just to straight up pander to your audience's political whims.

Journalistic integrity be damned.

You should watch the film Network. The role of TV news as entertainment and corporate propaganda long predates Fox News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNfVxJ8-MkM

Ac30

But people were manipulated into believing lies by a man who was compromised by Russian officials.

The ballots weren't rigged. People are dumb. Trump won legally, and hasn't been linked (yet) to illegal actions. Simple as that, really.

RDreamer

Can anyone give an update on what's up with the legitimacy of Buzzfeed? Is golden showers still a thing?

Buzzfeed just put up the report that everyone in the media and people in intelligence committees in congress have already seen. Literally no one has come out and said what they posted is any different from what they got. It's the legit document.

If you're asking if what's in the document is true or not, that's a whole other can of worms, obviously. It was put together by a credible source, but obviously verifying everything can take forever and is possibly nearly impossible. It's credible enough that a summary of the document was given during a briefing to Obama and Trump.

pestul

It's completely irrelevant if the piss stuff is debunked and the public moves on. The US intelligence community will look into many of the other claims in this report and will act if they find a smoking gun.
Well the IC better hurry up and investigate because it won't even exist in its current form after January 20th.

Whether we like it or not Trump won the election and was voted in fair and square. The election isn't being rerun

There was nothing "fair and square" about the manipulation that is begin reported on here, and nothing "fair and square" about things like Comey's fuckery a week before the election.

People need to get this idea out of their heads. Just because we had an election doesn't mean we had a legitimate one. Voter fraud is not the only way to undermine an election.

So I know you guys are dealing with it on every page, but what's the best debunk for suggesting that this was an elaborate ruse by /pol/? My 50ish year old mother just linked me to a story written by a Mr."Tyler Durden" claiming that it was all a hoax using out of context screenshots of various /pol/ threads.
Laugh and nod.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

If we canceled every election for lies and half truths we would never have a functioning democracy.

The ballots weren't rigged. People are dumb. Trump won legally, and hasn't been linked (yet) to illegal actions. Simple as that, really.
The ballots weren't rigged, but a foreign power illegally and unfairly unlicensed public opinion. If Trump is linked to russia, he has made illegal actions because of that.

Ac30

That sounds too simple to me.

Investigations into voter fraud found nothing, and the only vote rigging that's been going on is voter disenfranchisement being propagated by the Republican party. The ballots themselves weren't tampered with. Wikileaks bullshit and Comey influenced the election for sure but that can't yet be tied to Trump. Hence, legally speaking, he won fair and square.

And yes if Trump is linked please impeach the monster thanks. I hope to God they find direct ties to Putin. This report has been the best news all year

Dr.Acula

Banned
Did bush-league Buzzfeed jump the gun on this and significantly dull the revelatory political impact of the report?

Goddamn it buzzfeed, stick to your listicles.

When Rob Ford was mayor of Toronto, a person affiliated with the drug trade shopped a video of Ford smoking crack to several news outlets. Everyone sat on the story because the video holder was asking for six-figures, and the news media were wary of giving that cash to someone associated with the drug trade.

So the video guy goes to Gawker...

Gawker asks CNN for the money.

CNN, of course, asks the mayor's office for comment.

Now the guy who has the video gets spooked, because Rob Ford is in pretty tight with the gangs -allegedly.

The video then gets caught up in all this bullshit.

So yes, Buzzfeed may have screwed things up.

But with Ford, the rumors of the existence of a tape and his ties to gangs made the police move. They rounded up gang members, found the crack tape, and held it as evidence.

Before everything could settle, Ford died of cancer.

The crack tape did come out.

If Gawker had never pushed, who knows, maybe no news outlet wants to front the money, the gangs figure the tape has more value as a blackmail tool than in its sale value, the mayor's office never learns of it, and the police stay in the dark about Ford's gang-ties.

So maybe Buzzfeed are the real heroes.

Ponn

Banned

You are not going to convince someone like that. They are believing a facebook post with no facts over actual news outlets, they don't care about facts no matter what you tell them.

Investigations into voter fraud found nothing, and the only vote rigging that's been going on is voter disenfranchisement being propagated by the Republican party. The ballots themselves weren't tampered with. Wikileaks bullshit and Comey influenced the election for sure but that can't yet be tied to Trump. Hence, legally speaking, he won fair and square.

Again, you have to get out of your narrow view of literal voter fraud being the only thing that matters.

And yes if Trump is linked please impeach the monster thanks.
We know Wikileaks was with Russia, therefore if Trump is proven to be with Russia (the original question), he's involved.

giphy.gif

TCKaos

Laugh and nod.

It's just kind of painful that after years and years of them talking about Obama taking our guns and putting us in FEMA camps and watching Ancient Aliens that I can say "Here's this information we have, here is the chain of custody as we know it, here is the origin of it, and it has at least been partially verified by trusted intelligence sources" and then have my parents tell me they're disappointed in me posting it on Facebook because I'm "ruining my integrity for popularity."

Says the family that does nothing but buy health magazines about how to lose 70 lbs in two weeks and watch TV shows about psychics that talk to ghosts and how aliens built the pyramids.

Arkeband

Banned

I don't know why people continue to pivot to the fucking ballot boxes. No one has ever suggested those were ever targeted.

The hacking has always been focused around the large smear campaigns meant to influence voting behavior based around materials obtained by foreign actors and large-scale foreign astroturfing campaigns.

He won legally, 'fair and square' is clearly in the eye of the beholder when the people voting are being heavily, HEAVILY lied to.

Nafai1123

Banned
Then why do they bother constantly correcting themselves to ensure they are dealing with the latest info from verifiable sources?

Because the "bubble" that liberals live in is by far more reliable and truthful sources of journalism, but people will still try the "both sides" argument regardless.

Ac30

Again, you have to get out of your narrow view of literal voter fraud being the only thing that matters.

Oh I realize that the interference and straight up bullshit that they peddled about Hillary was awful and should be illegal, but I'm quite sure that it isn't, unless I'm mistaken?

We know Wikileaks was with Russia, therefore if Trump is proven to be with Russia (the original question), he's involved.

Let's hope that comes to light!

EDIT guys I'm not arguing it was influenced and filled with Russian/Trump bullshit. I'm talking purely legal terms, can they hold Trump to account and actually call for a redo? It seems Pence would become president and then Ryan if Pence is also compromised.

That sounds too simple to me.

Hysterics and sociopaths vote.

Normal people have trouble making the time.

Trump could have, and should have, handily lost this election. But people didn't show up and Democrats failed to mobilize common people. it doesn't matter if Russia meddled, the people who showed up to vote are the ones who made the decision. There is no do-over. People had one shot and they blew it.

TS-08

Confused. This shouldn't have anything to do with this technically right? Considering the hacking and this Trump investigation are different things right?

The two page summary of the report on Russia's alleged compromising of Trump was supposedly attached to the report on the hacking that Obama and Trump were briefed on, but it's possible that summary won't be part of what the representatives are shown.

Oh I realize that the interference and straight up bullshit that they peddled about Hillary was awful and should be illegal, but I'm quite sure that it isn't, unless I'm mistaken?
et's hope that comes to light!
If you enlist a foreign power and illegally obtained materials to help you win, that's not "fair and square".

Allard

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...ging-russian-operation-cultivate-donald-trump

This is and the date of the publication. This was known WELL before today in the media but other than mothe rjones no one wanted to touch the story without some verifiable links because of how salacious the accusations were. its only now getting to be a story because it was brought to the attention of Both Obama and Trump via the intelligence memos which do not reach the desk of the president unless they have some means corroborate the stories.

Makonero

When Rob Ford was mayor of Toronto, a person affiliated with the drug trade shopped a video of Ford smoking crack to several news outlets. Everyone sat on the story because the video holder was asking for six-figures, and the news media were wary of giving that cash to someone associated with the drug trade.

So the video guy goes to Gawker...

Gawker asks CNN for the money.

CNN, of course, asks the mayor's office for comment.

Now the guy who has the video gets spooked, because Rob Ford is in pretty tight with the gangs -allegedly.

The video then gets caught up in all this bullshit.

So yes, Buzzfeed may have screwed things up.

But with Ford, the rumors of the existence of a tape and his ties to gangs made the police move. They rounded up gang members, found the crack tape, and held it as evidence.

Before everything could settle, Ford died of cancer.

The crack tape did come out.

If Gawker had never pushed, who knows, maybe no news outlet wants to front the money, the gangs figure the tape has more value as a blackmail tool than in its sale value, the mayor's office never learns of it, and the police stay in the dark about Ford's gang-ties.

So maybe Buzzfeed are the real heroes.

I still contend that the dossier became news as soon as it was presented to Obama and Trump as credible by intelligence organizations. Everyone else tiptoed around it, referenced it, and then CNN reported that a briefing was held. Buzzfeed finally just published the damn thing since it was so newsworthy and lets us decide if it's important.

Now folks are out corroborating and working on verifying this stuff. One piece has been shown to be inaccurate (Michael Cohen the lawyer was not the Michael Cohen who went to Prague) but the rest is holding up.

Buzzfeed are definitely heroes in this. We can't let them be smeared and destroyed by Trump and his ilk.

Personally I feel that nothing will come out of this and a lot of people must feel the same, So, why bother? at least we can have some laugh about this.... I know I sound defeated, but I have lost any hope.

I'm going along with John Sullivan. He predicted HRC wouldn't be able to sweep the emailgate under the carpet. He also said Trump won't get away with dissing the intelligence community, especially if you choose to believe Russia and Assange over them. Last president who went against the IC was Nixon and it didn't end well for him to paraphrase him.

Primus

Oh god, Zero Hedge.

Send your mom this article on the people behind that website. They're shitty Wall Street analysts making money off of their Alex Jones-level commentary.

But that's kind of the same logic that Trump is using (not to peg you as a Trump supporter). "It's legal, therefore it's OK". In this instance it's "it was legal, therefore he won fair and square".

Colluding with a foreign nation to obtain private information from the party of the opponent is not in any way "fair and square". It's beyond the usual political tactics into insane territory that will only spin further out of control in subsequent elections.

Trump won in a legal sense. I would never say he won "fair and square", which is what the original point of contention was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom