• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

If you enlist a foreign power and illegally obtained materials to help you win, that's not "fair and square".

Well, yes, but we need solid proof, and I hope they find it. By fair and square I meant at the balance box, not the smear campaign that Russia ran. Bad word choice on my part, I apologize.

EatinOlives, same thing, poor word choice on my part. I meant strictly legally speaking

Boke1879

The thing that makes my previous post kinda interesting is I believe the GOP run that committee. So kinda interesting they want the whole HOUSE to get that brief.

Liha

Banned
Because the "bubble" that liberals live in is by far more reliable and truthful sources of journalism, but people will still try the "both sides" argument regardless.

The entire report is based on a former employee who was being paid by Democrats to dig up dirt on Trump. Worse, he himself cited no evidence of any kind, but instead relied on a string of other anonymous people in Russia he claims told him these things.

This look more and more at the IC getting revenge on Trump.

Them leaking this information before the investigation is complete is a combination of wanting to get this out before inauguration and because Trump implied that many of them would be out of a job, but the investigation would have occurred either way.

Well, yes, but we need solid proof, and I hope they find it. By fair and square I meant at the balance box, not the smear campaign that Russia ran. Bad word choice on my part, I apologize.

EatinOlives, same thing, poor word choice on my part. I meant strictly legally speaking

That's a fair distinction.

faisal233

We are not getting another vote. The US system isn't designed that way. We'll have to live with Pence or Ryan and link their endorsement of a traitor to get back power in 18 and 20.

Ac30

The entire report is based on a former employee who was being paid by Democrats to dig up dirt on Trump. Worse, he himself cited no evidence of any kind, but instead relied on a string of other anonymous people in Russia he claims told him these things.

It's the CNN report that people are more interested in though, which is different to the one BuzzFeed posted

I still contend that the dossier became news as soon as it was presented to Obama and Trump as credible by intelligence organizations. Everyone else tiptoed around it, referenced it, and then CNN reported that a briefing was held. Buzzfeed finally just published the damn thing since it was so newsworthy and lets us decide if it's important.

Now folks are out corroborating and working on verifying this stuff. One piece has been shown to be inaccurate (Michael Cohen the lawyer was not the Michael Cohen who went to Prague) but the rest is holding up.

Buzzfeed are definitely heroes in this. We can't let them be smeared and destroyed by Trump and his ilk.

The fact that they did prove that a Michael Cohen was in prague, even though it was the wrong Michael Cohen, shows that it's not just information being pulled out of someone's ass.

manakel

Buckle up:

Basically, we know who crafted the dossier (a well known British Intelligence agent who now works in the private industry) and BBC reporter is saying that they have more than one source on this.

Articles have come out telling us why this is a big deal and why there is probably something to this whole thing

And to cap it all off: the investigation was initiated by a SuperPAC supporting Jeb Bush.

The short version: This is gaining traction, has credibility, and many people are working hard on this story to find out more. Did Buzzfeed make a mistake posting the entire dossier? Maybe. But what that has meant is that all of this is out in the open, and everyone's pushing to get this figured out before its too late.
Thank you for the update! Absolutely insane. If Jeb! is the one to finally strike Trump down..glorious, glorious karma.

Afrodium

Banned
So I know you guys are dealing with it on every page, but what's the best debunk for suggesting that this was an elaborate ruse by /pol/? My 50ish year old mother just linked me to a story written by a Mr."Tyler Durden" claiming that it was all a hoax using out of context screenshots of various /pol/ threads.

The only people saying it's 4chan are 4chan and people citing 4chan. Pretty much every article about it corroborates that the document has been circulating among journalists for some time and that the source us trustworthy. John McCain also submitted the report to Comey and it is being investigated by the CIA. So basically the debunk is that the US intelligence apparatus and most respectable journalists in the country have seen it and nobody linked it back to 4chan.

However if you think this was a 4chan hoax you probably think the US intelligence community and news media are idiots, so...

jstripes

Banned
The thing that makes my previous post kinda interesting is I believe the GOP run that committee. So kinda interesting they want the whole HOUSE to get that brief.

Could be some of the less insane ones don't want the GOP to be forever known as the party of Russian stooges.

faisal233

Do you think spooks have a habit of outing their sources in adversarial govt in their public reports?

beril

Not sure I buy the golden shower blackmail thing. If there's one area where Trump seems genuine it's his massive boner for Putin. Seems much more likely that he's buddying up to Russia for personal gain than that he's being forced to do anything against his will.

So I know you guys are dealing with it on every page, but what's the best debunk for suggesting that this was an elaborate ruse by /pol/? My 50ish year old mother just linked me to a story written by a Mr."Tyler Durden" claiming that it was all a hoax using out of context screenshots of various /pol/ threads.

The whole crux of the "4chan hoax" was based on Rick Wilson being the source of the report. He wasn't. The /pol/ thing was fundamentally bullshit from the get go.

Nafai1123

Banned

And yet McCain felt it was important enough to provide to the FBI and the IC felt it was important enough to brief Obama and Trump on, as well as to investigate further. Also, former MI-6 isn't a "former employee" of the US Govt.

Buckle up:

Basically, we know who crafted the dossier (a well known British Intelligence agent who now works in the private industry) and BBC reporter is saying that they have more than one source on this.

Articles have come out telling us why this is a big deal and why there is probably something to this whole thing

And to cap it all off: the investigation was initiated by a SuperPAC supporting Jeb Bush.

The short version: This is gaining traction, has credibility, and many people are working hard on this story to find out more. Did Buzzfeed make a mistake posting the entire dossier? Maybe. But what that has meant is that all of this is out in the open, and everyone's pushing to get this figured out before its too late.

None of this would be happening if buzzfeed didn't leak the document. Journalists have been sitting on this dossier for months. CNN and buzzfeed finally stepped up.

I guess they felt they could actually release this info because of trump Obama meeting with the IC? I dunno why they held on to it for so long but if they continued to hold on to it we would not be having this conversation.

jstripes

Banned
Not sure I buy the golden shower blackmail thing. If there's one area where Trump seems genuine it's his massive boner for Putin. Seems much more likely that he's buddying up to Russia for personal gain than that he's being forced to do anything against his will.

If you'd read the report you'd know that they never even blackmailed him. He voluntarily went along with their plans like an excited puppy.

Chococat

And yet McCain felt it was important enough to provide to the FBI and the IC felt it was important enough to brief Obama and Trump on, as well as to investigate further. Also, former MI-6 isn't a "former employee" of the US Govt.

Also the investigation was started the a Jeb! Super Pac. When the primaries ended, then an anonymous Democrat person/group picked up the funding.

I guess they felt they could actually release this info because of trump Obama meeting with the IC? I dunno why they held on to it for so long but if they continued to hold on to it we would not be having this conversation.

RIght, the CNN report made the Buzzfeed report newsworthy, since it was the general basis of the report to the president, verified or not.

Here's basically what went down:

CNN: Wow, this pool's pretty deep! Let me just dip a toe in. Maybe sit at the edge with my feet i-

Buzzfeed: LEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEEEEENKIIIIIIINS *cannonball*

Makonero

The fact that they did prove that a Michael Cohen was in prague, even though it was the wrong Michael Cohen, shows that it's not just information being pulled out of someone's ass.

Exactly. And they specified in the report that that info was shaky.

So my faith in the report has only grown since the reveal.

Wonder if it matches buzzfeed's post or something different.

Buzzfeed's post was not the intel report and was not created by the government. The 35 page buzzfeed report was summarized as a 2 page addendum to the rest of the intel briefing that Obama and Trump received. According to NBC News, the addendum was in the room when Trump was briefed but was not verbally discussed and Trump never laid hands on the document.

Therefore the House briefing is going to include the actual results of the IC's investigation into the hacking. That document has yet to release to the public.

RDreamer

CNN: Wow, this pool's pretty deep! Let me just dip a toe in. Maybe sit at the edge with my feet i-

Good on Buzzfeed. Seriously, this stuff has been talked about and tip toed around for so long and now it's being brought to the president/president-elect. We deserve to see what the fuck they're all discussing.

People in this country actually believe that intelligence agencies bring completely unvetted information to the President. Astounding.
Mental gymnastics at work.

I spit my drink. Amazing. Thank you so much for the laugh.

Ac30

The weird trick? Being actual journalists.

The people who sat on this shit for so long should be fired.

They couldn't get independent verification. It's too easy to throw it all out if verification doesn't happen, and WaPo and NYT have too much on the line to throw their reputation out the window

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

This is oddly the best way to sum it up.

CNN with the tip toe going there is information. Buzzfeed going fuck it. Seems to match up.

Makonero

The weird trick? Being actual journalists.

The people who sat on this shit for so long should be fired.

I don't blame them necessarily when this was a single-source report. It could have been nothing. Several reporters have said they had this and couldn't verify it. It became news when the intelligence community felt it had enough evidence to present it to Obama and Trump.

But if someone HAD leaked this just before the election, I think we'd be inaugurating President Clinton.

People in this country actually believe that intelligence agencies bring completely unvetted information to the President. Astounding.

im still trying to wrap my head around intelligence agencies believing the president elect is colluding w a foreign country and then presenting that treasonous evidence to the president elect himself. then leaking it? wtf? why? none of this makes sense.

Makonero

im still trying to wrap my head around intelligence agencies believing the president elect is colluding w a foreign country and then presenting that treasonous evidence to the president elect himself. then leaking it? wtf? why? none of this makes sense.

they didn't leak it

as for showing Trump, apparently Trump never bothered to read it

Boke1879

Welp, either they're circling the wagons to double down on Trump and show everyone how false this is... or Trump's about to get fucked.

I'm cynical so I'm going to assume they are best trying to figure out how to mitigate this.

But EVERYONE in the House has this report. Meaning democrats.

I'm thinking there will be hearings on this.

Sijil

How much popular support do Anti Trump right wing conservatives have anyway? Wondering if the schism in the right wing would reach the popular level.

pestul

Talking about witch hunts, if any of this report is true, I cannot even begin to imagine the lengths Putin must be taking to hunt down the sources.

Zophar

Exactly. And they specified in the report that that info was shaky.

So my faith in the report has only grown since the reveal.

I don't know why anyone doubted the veracity of a document that was confirmed to be delivered to the President in an intelligence briefing.

There might be issues with some of the allegations within it - the authors even acknowledge this - but the dossier is genuine.

RDreamer

The intelligence agencies didn't leak it. This exact report has been circling around the media and intel committees in congress since at least October.

What was leaked I guess was that they are briefing the president and president elect on it. As for why? Well, Trump has been attacking the intelligence community for weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom